• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Speculation] Bungie will once again be involved with the Halo Franchise/co-owners of I.P. with Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrazilla

Bookmark this thread for future reference.

After the handling of the Halo franchise by 343 Studios(mass departures, uncertain direction/future, delays, etc) for Microsoft I have a very strong feeling their have been "discussions" between Bungie and Microsoft to
come back aboard the I.P. that Bungie created: HALO. "Feelers sent out?" "Cross promotion discussions?"

This will either come in the form of buying the I.P. back outright from Microsoft(with agreements in place that MS will still have HALO games for their console/PC platforms day and date with future releases) or a "partial sale/co-ownership of
the I.P" where Bungie will make the Halo series available to other platforms from Sony, Nintendo and Nvidia. My gut instinct is that we'll see a "co-ownership/partnership" between Bungie and Microsoft.

Let's face it, Halo has floundered under 343 along with Microsoft's management of the I.P.

Halo needs fresh, experienced developers along with management to help guide it into the future. What better company to do that then the I.P's creator in Bungie?

P.S. Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear/read about a delay of the single player Halo Infinite Campaign until Summer 2022.

0*iZ2NVUDgRton_Id8

Shout out to Solarstrike Solarstrike

Last edited:

Greggy

Bookmark this thread for future reference.

After the handling of the Halo franchise by 343 Studios(mass departures, uncertain direction/future, delays, etc) for Microsoft I have a very strong feeling their have been "discussions" between Bungie and Microsoft to
come back aboard the I.P. that Bungie created: HALO. "Feelers sent out?" "Cross promotion discussions?"

This will either come in the form of buying the I.P. back outright from Microsoft(with agreements in place that MS will still have HALO games for their console/PC platforms day and date with future releases) or a "partial sale/co-ownership of
the I.P" where Bungie will make the Halo series available to other platforms from Sony, Nintendo and Nvidia. My gut instinct is that we'll see a "co-ownership/partnership" between Bungie and Microsoft.

Let's face it, Halo has floundered under 343 along with Microsoft's management of the I.P.

Halo needs fresh, experienced developers along with management to help guide it into the future. What better company to do that then the I.P's creator in Bungie?

P.S. Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear/read about a delay of the single player Halo Infinite Campaign until Summer 2022.

0*iZ2NVUDgRton_Id8

Shout out to Solarstrike Solarstrike

What were you thinking?

P.S: Next time you have "a strong feeling" about something, throw your keyboard away.

Last edited:
they finally got rid of Halo. they don't want their ex back. Makes no sense.

if anything i think they want off the Destiny train too. They want to move to the next new big IP

AJUMP23

Bungee isn’t Bungee anymore they even parted with Marty Odonell their best music producer. I don’t think Bungee wants to do it and I don’t think anyone really wants them too either. Destiny I don’t think it is that great of a game. And if reports about the Bungee workflow are correct development seems like a nightmare there.

I feel like people looking at Bungie being this king of story telling, and awesomeness really are looking at it through rose-tinted glasses. Destiny as a franchise has the worse aspects of the AAA industry and fans, / the press have given it a pass, everytime the release a new expansion, plus a season pass, plus you can Buy the Ghallahorn now (or however you spell it), for an extra 30 USD.

I remember when they wanted to make Destiny this epic SCIFI game with cross promotional material, and they bombed so fucking hard. If you have the time listen to Jeff Gerstmann's rant about the first Destiny

Destiny was more mismanaged and a bigger clusterfuck than Cyberpunk in my opinion, and people still gave Bungie a pass, and are still giving them a pass (except when it comes to weapon sunsetting lol)

They keep pulling this where one year they completely suck and then sort of turn around things, and people hail them for being good devs.

Banned
if anything they will try to co develop it with either iD Software or Machine Games... Bungie isn't what they once were either. in fact, many Bungie guys are at 343i. The issue at 343i is the management and too much outsourcing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why? They have Destiny which is more interesting and better in almost every way IMO.
It really isn’t. Destiny has amazing gunplay, as does 343’s Halo, but both Bungie and 343’s Halo campaigns and matchmaking systems decimate Destiny.

As to OP’s prediction, no sadly. Unless Microsoft re-acquire Bungie, not happening.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
if anything i think they want off the Destiny train too. They want to move to the next new big IP
Why would they abandon such a successful IP? They have already led out how the Light vs Darkness saga ends and are planning for what's next(Final Shape or whatever).

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I feel like people looking at Bungie being this king of story telling, and awesomeness really are looking at it through rose-tinted glasses. Destiny as a franchise has the worse aspects of the AAA industry and fans, / the press have given it a pass, everytime the release a new expansion, plus a season pass, plus you can Buy the Ghallahorn now (or however you spell it), for an extra 30 USD.

I remember when they wanted to make Destiny this epic SCIFI game with cross promotional material, and they bombed so fucking hard. If you have the time listen to Jeff Gerstmann's rant about the first Destiny

Destiny was more mismanaged and a bigger clusterfuck than Cyberpunk in my opinion, and people still gave Bungie a pass, and are still giving them a pass (except when it comes to weapon sunsetting lol)

They keep pulling this where one year they completely suck and then sort of turn around things, and people hail them for being good devs.

I miss old GB :(

PuffyCan

Bungie wanted to do something else than Halo, why would they buy it back? It makes no sense lol

And why would Microsoft get rid of one of their biggest IP, what did you smoke OP?

zaanan

Banned
Why? They have Destiny which is more interesting and better in almost every way IMO.
One reason I bought a PS4 was the Destiny reveal. Remember that? “See that mountain? You can go climb that mountain!” Then I got it and died bc I left the area I was “supposed” to be in.
Destiny had great promise, but it never lived up to it for me. The Flood was so much better than anything in Destiny. I liked it so much that I played the Halo campaigns co-op with my kids even though I can’t stand the Xbox controllers. Whereas I never finished anything in Destiny. So I respectfully disagree that Destiny is in any way better than Halo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As some of you said above I agree. Get idtech into as many shooters as possible across all MS games. And even beyond shooters if the engine works well with other genres.

Bernkastel

I think an ID Software rendition of Halo would be awesome, make the Elites, Brutes, etc more scary or more intimidating to fight
As some of you said above I agree. Get idtech into as many shooters as possible across all MS games. And even beyond shooters if the engine works well with other genres.
That won't feel like Halo anymore.

Bryank75

Banned
One reason I bought a PS4 was the Destiny reveal. Remember that? “See that mountain? You can go climb that mountain!” Then I got it and died bc I left the area I was “supposed” to be in.
Destiny had great promise, but it never lived up to it for me. The Flood was so much better than anything in Destiny. I liked it so much that I played the Halo campaigns co-op with my kids even though I can’t stand the Xbox controllers. Whereas I never finished anything in Destiny. So I respectfully disagree that Destiny is in any way better than Halo.

Well, I liked the raids and multiplayer...especially trials and Iron banner.

Flood wasn't something I enjoyed in Halo though, so we differ there.

Bernkastel

It's difficult to imagine anybody wanting to go anywhere near 343 Industries or their work to be honest. I can't even imagine an Activision/Blizzard employee being willing to move there even if they had half the work to do for double the pay.
It's difficult to imagine a lot of things when you only talk in console war templates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom