• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speakers Vs Headphones

TrebleShot

Hi everyone, looking to get some opinions on this topic. I find i am somewhat of an audiophile I say somewhat as i do tend to go for ease of use and features balanced with sound quality for the best experience.

I have several headsets both wired open back and closed back wireless, in my opinion the best sounding being the Sundara with amp and the best overall being the arctic nova pro wireless for comfort and ease of use.

I do also have a Sonos 5.1 system which is incredible for ease of use and sound quality.

I am interested in other peoples set ups and what they use for what, for instance I’ve been playing through GOW R and I am someone that believes tempest and 3D audio is fantastic so have predominantly used my novas and sundara occasionally But was thinking of playing through my speakers.

With callisto protocol comin what will you use to play through it on as audio I believe will be a big part of the experience, speaks or headphones.?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Speakers > headphones

Feel free to join us in the audiophile thread:

Mr Hyde

I enjoy both but after a couple of hours the headphones becomes uncomfortable so good speakers is the way to go for long sessions. Or you can do a combination. I have three sets of headphones I use depending on where I play (PS, Switch, PC) and a soundbar with subwoofer compatible with Dolby Atmos. It's a good mix of quality audio.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have a nice surround sound setup in my game room, but I find myself using headphones most of the time unless I'm playing with my sons.

Fbh

I mostly stick to headphones because my only time to play games during the week is at night and with headphones I can blast the audio as loud as I want without bothering my family (and the neighbours).

But if that wasn't a factor then a good speaker setup is nicer IMO

Holammer

Speakers used to be a thing, then Ventrilo, Teamspeak and Discord happened.
Because of that, only a monster would use 'em now. All of my friends have headphones and yeti microphones these days.

I used to play using the t.v or through wired speakers, but I only use headphones nowadays and have done for years.

I just find it more immersive and having a microphone available for multiplayer games is an extra bonus.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

A few years ago I invested in a really nice 7.1 surround system. It's amazing but 95% of the time I still use headphones for gaming. Most games are just too bass heavy and inconsistent volume levels that it pisses off everyone else in the house.

Headphones as it is more immersive and blocks out noise. Ever since I realised you could connect your headphones to the console i've never looked back.

Last edited:

FrankWza

They both serve their purpose and have their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to gaming. It’s basically a must to have both at this point. Even if you don’t have an elaborate HT setup, an external sound option like an SB or HTIB is still going to be better than TV sound. Being able to use optical on PS5 is a great way to save $ because it allows for even more options and legacy products as well.

I have a dedicated 5.1 surround setup with a good AVR with Dirac Live. I still prefer headphones. With PS5 and 3d audio, the games often even recommend headphones over speakers, like in the case of Returnal. These games were designed with headphone use in mind.

Also, with online gaming. like COD for example, where you need a microphone, speakers just won't work. You need a headset.

For movies though, surround sound all the way.

Last edited:
Sonos surround setup fan here. I used to go for headphones with my gaming PC and monitor, and I still do for many FPS and other games that are best on PC. But there’s nothing like a 5.1 theater experience on my OLED from the comfort of my couch. I use headphones sometimes when my spouse goes to sleep early but other than that, speakers all the way.

Filben

enjoy both but after a couple of hours the headphones becomes uncomfortable so good speakers is the way to go for long sessions.
Same here. I vastly prefer headphones for immersion since I'm picking up even the most subtle sounds. But depending on the day I'm feeling great discomfort after a while even when headphones feel very light and comfy at first.

I've tried seven different headphones from four different brands and there are still occasions where it's so uncomfortable wearing them.

lachesis

I live alone in a house, so definitely speakers blazing.
There's something about having some distance between the loud speaker to you. The whole sound wave hitting your entire body, or rumble of floor from the base.

But for good clarity and immersion, headphone is a good choice too. My ears get little sweaty, and sometimes uncomfortable clamping hurts my ears - so I generally go with speaker whenever possible - unless there's noise that I need to cancel out.

Ropiak

Neo Member
realised you could connect your headphones to the console
How are you doing this exactly? I have an xbox and I'd love to plug directly into the console instead of the controller. I've tried and wasn't able to get my headset to work so you have my attention lol

Knightime_X

All depends on the situation.
Time of day, will you bother neighbors, others living in the house. etc.

If it was me and only me with no worries about sound disruption, I go with speakers majority of the time.
I do use headphones for horror games and games I REALLY want to hear the sound.

Last edited:
Speakers especially a good 5.1 system generally sound considerably better and can be even just as, if not more immersive imo, but a good pair of headphones can be very nice as well. Headphones are great when you can’t blast your surround sound though. Get both if possible.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Headphones, speakers are harder to set up and i dont like other people hearing my music
speakers are more comfortable though

brian0057

Banned
gwudv8T.jpg

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
If you live in an apartment complex dont be a douche. Get some quality headphones. Headphones > speakers in general unless you live in a house, no neighbours and you can put thoset loud surround speakers to good use, because low volume on any kind of speaker is shit.

Last edited:
If you have a huge space that won't interfere with neighbors then speakers are king. However I much prefer headphones because no matter how much I put the volume up, footsteps in COD for example I can hear clearly which side they are coming from while using headphones. On speakers if the volume was enough for footsteps, I would wake up the whole building with guns blazing. Also I love headphones because you hear so many audio details...like wind blowing in The Last Guardian. I barely heard it on speakers but right next to my ears sound, way more prominent and adds so well to the atmosphere.

Last edited:
I'm still using a Logitech Z-5500 setup and I will likely never replace them for the remainder of my life. Already had them for about 14 years and love them. The only reason I ever use headphones is if I really want to hear something loud but I don't want to wake the family. Otherwise it's speakers all day all night. I used to hate the concept of a "man cave" but now that I'm older I totally get it. Just a nice private place away from everyone else where you can crank your speakers to max and enjoy an amazing gaming or movie experience whenever you want guilt free.

Mozzarella

I use both, in games heavy with atmosphere i use Headphones, and in games like League, most jrpgs and adventure cinematics i use speakers.
For horror though Headphones are a must.

SyberWolf

i have a pair of decent bookshelf speakers that i connect to everything i have for casual computer / gaming use.
then i also have my Sennheiser headphones they are light, comfortable and good for long gaming sessions.
headphones are better for immersion i think, you get less distracted.

Last edited:
How are you doing this exactly? I have an xbox and I'd love to plug directly into the console instead of the controller. I've tried and wasn't able to get my headset to work so you have my attention lol
I meant controller. But you can use bluetooth to connect it to the console too.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Its not really a choice for me. I always have a high end (for my budget) option for both.

Most of the times I cant game with speakers because someone is sleeping or doing something so by default its headphones.

Ropiak

Neo Member
I meant controller. But you can use bluetooth to connect it to the console too.
Gotcha thanks! FWIW I did find a few HDMI with audio 'extractor' on amazon that goes in between the xbox and screen, there's an optical out that most say works, I have one coming in the mail so we'll see lol.

Gotcha thanks! FWIW I did find a few HDMI with audio 'extractor' on amazon that goes in between the xbox and screen, there's an optical out that most say works, I have one coming in the mail so we'll see lol.
What a coincidence. I happen to have a PS3 HDMI audio extractor heading in the mail as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Headphones all the way baby.

Often cheaper, a lot less space taken, more "immersive" to me to have the sound directly in my ear, considerate of other people in the house/vicinity.

Headphones.

Try a pair of open Headphones and you realize you don't need speakers anymore.

Don't try to downplay speakers they still rock.😉

radewagon

I feel like you're always going to need a lot more money to get comparable audio quality from a speaker system vs. a pair of headphones. Go with the headphones.

Top Bottom