• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spain] Weekly console sales (constantly updated) | GSD/GFK data from Vandal.net via Ruben Mercado

That's a very, very low goal.
Xbox One sold over 50m.

Now the market is a lot bigger and Microsoft didn't botch any of their strategic decision. They also heavily invest in the business compared to last gen. And invest even more than during the x360 era.

Xbox Series will be the first Microsoft console to break the 100m units barrier.
But 80m would be fine, too.

i think 80m is a good bet when all is said and done. 100m is a bit too high for xbox because of its lack of presense in mainlane europe. unless fifa is about to go exclusive. this aint gonna change. its actually europe that makes the PS perform so well. wasnt like 70% of total PS4 sales in europe?

i think 80m is a good bet when all is said and done. 100m is a bit too high for xbox because of its lack of presense in mainlane europe. unless fifa is about to go exclusive. this aint gonna change. its actually europe that makes the PS perform so well. wasnt like 70% of total PS4 sales in europe?
Nah.
The US is 30%, Japan is 8%
Europe is over 40%, but way below 50%

Rest is SA, Asia, ME, Africa, Oceania and CA + MX.

That's over 15% obviously

Also keep in mind, that in the early stage of the console cycle, region like the US account for a higher percentage. It's 35% currently

Last edited:
Nah.
The US is 30%, Japan is 8%
Europe is over 40%, but way below 50%

Rest is SA, Asia, ME, Africa, Oceania and CA + MX.

That's over 15% obviously

Also keep in mind, that in the early stage of the console cycle, region like the US account for a higher percentage. It's 35% currently

thats crazy that US is only 30%! you could take it away and PS4 would still have sold like 85m. the same as the best selling xbox. puts into perspective how important the rest of the world is for sony.

Last edited:
thats crazy that US is only 30%! you could take it away and PS4 would still have sold like 85m. the same as the best selling xbox. puts into perspective how important the rest of thr world is for sony.

Yeah Sony is a lot broader than Nintendo and Microsoft.

For Nintendo the US and JP are ~2/3rd of their whole market.
For Microsoft the US is ~50% of their market.
For Sony, their 2 biggest markets are below 40%

But with Microsofts new console agnostic approach, the importance of the US should drop.

zedinen

Spain accounts for 3.1% of PS4 sales and 1.9% of PS5 sales

Sony is focusing on US, UK and JP

US (After 8 months)
1.PS5
2.PS4
3.XBO
4.XBS

US+UK+JP (After 8 months)
Supply-constrained PS5 is half a million ahead of readily available PS4, which is a huge win for Sony.

Sony will focus on EU in 2022; sales are forecast to hit 23M+

Supply-constrained PS5 is half a million ahead of readily available PS4, which is a huge win for Sony.

Luckily I got my PS4 at launch but there was only a shortage during the first few months. With the PS5 the shortage is predicted to last a lot longer. It's very impressive that they managed to surpass the PS4 and once the shortage is over it's probably going to be a lot higher.

Some people like to claim that Sony is doing worse but I honestly am not seeing that happen. If anything it looks like they will surpass the PS4 the only question is by how much?

Importance of UEFA Champions League rights for Sony cannot be overstated in Europe. It’s a partnership that’s at least 20 consecutive years long now. You, Americans, need to understand, every living breathing male person here watches that stuff every year. It has pristine reputation. In Europe, it has become the norm to have PS. It achieved what Nintendo has achieved where people are buying it out of the habit, not quality of their offer. It’s definitely not anything anti-American because last time I checked everyone has or wants Iphone and drinks Coca-Cola..

mejin

Xbox One sold over 50m.

Now the market is a lot bigger and Microsoft didn't botch any of their strategic decision. They also heavily invest in the business compared to last gen. And invest even more than during the x360 era.

Xbox Series will be the first Microsoft console to break the 100m units barrier.

When MS told you "Power your dreams" it really wasn't thinking on xbox hardware sales.

yurinka

Xbox One sold over 50m.

I think Xbox Series will sell less than XBO because all their games will be on PC (and Steam Deck) day one. And not only that, with Gamepass PC players won't even need to buy the MS games.

Meanwhile Sony keeps enlarging their userbase with PS5 beating the gaming history records set by PS4, and seems they will have more exclusives than ever this generation, which dominated the goty awards in the last decade and are their main selling point. I think it will be very difficult for MS to make a comeback this generation, because even if they bought many studios we're like more than a year away of seeing them releasing big next gen AAA MS games on a steady, frequent pace.

I think that doing so will help them to improve their numbers in the 2nd half of the generation, but at that point Sony will have already a too big PS5 install base and market share, so Xbox won't be able to compete.

P.S.: XBO passed the 50M mark years ago, I'd bet it should be around 60-70M now aprox.

Last edited:

Alasterion

Neo Member
Spanish market is shit, and Vandal is shittier IMO. 38+ yo' spanish player here (I keep my opinion on the term 'gamer' as it is extrapolated nowadays), and it has been always a sonyer country, due principally to the fact that many players were introduced during good ol' days (I mean, days when Squaresoft launched FFVII and that stuff). Those players had children, and if they played RE, Alundra, Suikoden and so on, their spawns would play such 'things' as Fortnite...

The term 'La Play' has been given to any videogame system after Playstation 2 whipped out the Dreamcast.

Also, only to expose some example of 'videogame culture here', last day I was in a 'famous' spanish retailer, the salesperson was recomending Titanfall 2 as a MP game with no campaign...

Now you can call me boomer and that stuff. I really love the 'culture' we have and how it is related to good butter: the less you have, the more is extended.

reksveks

Spanish charts of the year

2jNDYWQ.png
YQhCD2F.png

I am trying to make it easier to update so am moving it into another dashboard

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

And without exaggerating or bashing Xbox (I love gamepass and their efforts lately) half of those Series sales are due to people not finding PS5s.

It's been that way, and will continue to be.

Sony's philosophy and exclusive games are more European Friendly

Last edited:

onesvenus

And without exaggerating or bashing Xbox (I love gamepass and their efforts lately) half of those Series sales are due to people not finding PS5s.

It's been that way, and will continue to be.

Sony's philosophy and exclusive games are more European Friendly
How do you know the reason to buy a series console? None of my friends, who are still waiting for a PS5, hasn't even considered an Xbox

SoraNoKuni

How do you know the reason to buy a series console? None of my friends, who are still waiting for a PS5, hasn't even considered an Xbox
3 friends of mine did, I also know a lot of people in a Greek forum that switched due to that as well.

Brand loyalty of course exists and that's why Sony is on top, but casual gamers that don't care that much but just want a new console, when they can't get their perceived best choice they'll just grab the alternative.

When you are hungry and want to get something to eat, you'll eat regardless.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

What this fails to recognise is the 2nd console sales the seriesS will get. Xbox game studios portfolio will be hard to resist for most gamers.

What this fails to recognise is the 2nd console sales the seriesS will get. Xbox game studios portfolio will be hard to resist for most gamers.

i didnt say we wont see any growth for xbox in europe. just not enough that it will be anything substantial. more than xbox one but less than 360. america is a different story however. its largely europe where sony get their massive lead over xbox.

All sales mean at this point is who can manufacture the most.
I've seen Series S in most stores I walk in both in Spain and Portugal. There's multiple stores with a Series S + 3 month Gamepass and they are still there. Incredible.
Series X I've seen them a few times but it's harder.
The only PS5 I've seen is mine. It's depressing tbh

Sosokrates

i didnt say we wont see any growth for xbox in europe. just not enough that it will be anything substantial. more than xbox one but less than 360. america is a different story however. its largely europe where sony get their massive lead over xbox.

I disagree, consumers respond to the product and the product this time is amazing regardless of what company makes it.

Sosokrates

I've seen Series S in most stores I walk in both in Spain and Portugal. There's multiple stores with a Series S + 3 month Gamepass and they are still there. Incredible.
Series X I've seen them a few times but it's harder.
The only PS5 I've seen is mine. It's depressing tbh

Yeah as I said its a case of you can manufacture the most, though in series S seems to be meeting demand.

Sosokrates

There's still close to half of EU countries not supported.

But not half of Europes overall economy.

The majority of Europe's console sales are from The big ones, UK, France, germany, spain, italy, Netherlands, greece etc the ones where xbox is not sold make up for a minority of the EU's console market.

But not half of Europes overall economy.

The majority of Europe's console sales are from The big ones, UK, France, germany, spain, italy, Netherlands, greece etc the ones where xbox is not sold make up for a minority of the EU's console market.

If that was true the sales gap would not be so big

Sosokrates

If that was true the sales gap would not be so big
For the series consoles?

I think, its a stock issue and its still early in the gen, as games like starfield drop euro interest will grow.

Also if marketing is as strong as im seeing in the UK in other euro countries that will also help

Last edited:
For the series consoles?

I think, its a stock issue and its still early in the gen, as games like starfield drop euro interest will grow.

The americas is where PS5 and Xbox Series are closest, with Europe and Asia being the losing markets for Xbox, and the reason is clear. Xbox only supports roughly 40 countries. PlayStation supports over 100.

It's playing out the same way as past gens. The gaps just going to get larger as the gen goes on and supply issues die down, unless Xbox starts taking the rest of the world seriously.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

The americas is where PS5 and Xbox Series are closest, with Europe and Asia being the losing markets for Xbox, and the reason is clear. Xbox only supports roughly 40 countries. PlayStation supports over 100.

It's playing out the same way as past gens. The gaps just going to get larger as the gen goes on and supply issues die down, unless Xbox starts taking the rest of the world seriously.
The same as past gens?

Its not like Microsoft aquired 18 studios with franchises like doom, elder scrolls, fallout, starfield etc added to there portfolio

Or that they have the best subscription service that is gamepass

Or that they made great hardware

Its hilarious that some people think the reasons that got playstation success in Europe just wont work for Xbox.

The same as past gens?

Its not like Microsoft aquired 18 studios with franchises like doom, elder scrolls, fallout, starfield etc added to there portfolio

Or that they have the best subscription service that is gamepass

Or that they made great hardware

Its hilarious that some people think the reasons that got playstation success in Europe just wont work for Xbox.

Are you not reading? Xbox's issues overseas aren't the products. It's the localisation of their products. That's where PS success comes from.

It'll work for Xbox too if they did it, but they're not.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

And i've already told you they wouldn't have a 2:1 sales gap if that was true.
And I countered that its a stock problem and will improve as the gen moves (more exclusive games, great hardware, gamepass, marketing)

You are just ignoring these facts are acting like they dont matter.

And I countered that its a stock problem and will improve as the gen moves (more exclusive games, great hardware, gamepass, marketing)

You are just ignoring these facts are acting like they dont matter.
The stock will improve, which will cause the gap to get wider. Having more products does not help if you don't make them easy to access.

I'm not ignoring facts. It's called reality. Compare the supported regions between Xbox and PS. It speaks for itself

Last edited:

Sosokrates

The stock will improve, which will cause the gap to get wider. Having more products does not help if you don't make them easy to access.

I'm not ignoring facts. It's called reality. Compare the supported regions between Xbox and PS. It speaks for itself

So, xbox buying 18 studios, gampass and great hardware wont improve xbox's euro situation?

Just because ps5 is available in few more euro countries with comparatively small economics mean xbox cant significantly improve its euro sales?

So, xbox buying 18 studios, gampass and great hardware wont improve xbox's euro situation?

Just because ps5 is available in few more euro countries with comparatively small economics mean xbox cant significantly improve its euro sales?

Not as much as improving localisation would no. That should be obvious. They'll use a PC which is easier for them anyway.

It makes a massive difference, its why the gap between xbox and PS gets larger. The regions that xbox take seriously, like America and the UK, they stay competitive. Usually selling close if not 1:1, while in the areas they don't take seriously, PS steamrolls ahead, which is what leads to those more than 2:1 sales gaps worldwide.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

T
Not as much as improving localisation would no. That should be obvious.

It makes a massive difference, its why the gap between xbox and PS gets larger. The regions that xbox take seriously, like America and the UK, they stay competitive. Usually selling close if not 1:1, while in the areas they don't take seriously, PS steamrolls ahead, which is what leads to those more than 2:1 sales gaps worldwide.
They're improving localisation by improving the product and marketing it.

While be available in more countries would obviously be better that does not mean they cant sell better in the euro markets they are in.

Sosokrates

1. What? That's not improving localisation.

What do you mean by localisation

localization
/ləʊk(ə)lʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: localisation
the process of making something local in character or restricting it to a particular place.
"the tug-of-war between the forces of globalization and localization"

Thats the definition im using, I dont really know what u mean by it. Selling a console is a couple of rather simple things.

1. Products availablity
  2. Marketing
  3. Service infrastructure

Im pretty sure xbox has these things covered in the euro countries they are in.
They could probably do better marketing, but I dont know, im in UK.

What do you mean by localisation

localization
/ləʊk(ə)lʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: localisation
the process of making something local in character or restricting it to a particular place.
"the tug-of-war between the forces of globalization and localization"

Thats the definition im using, I dont really know what u mean by it. Selling a console is a couple of rather simple things.

1. Products availablity
  2. Marketing
  3. Service infrastructure

Im pretty sure xbox has these things covered in the euro countries they are in.
They could probably do better marketing, but I dont know, im in

Localisation is more than just putting a product on store shelves. Xbox already does that in all the countries. What they're not good at is region support for xbox live, language support and support for local currencies.

Marketing, dev studios and subscriptions don't fix those things. Especially subscriptions, which are a pain in the ass without region or currency support

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Localisation is more than just putting a product on store shelves. Xbox already does that in all the countries. What they're not good at is region support for xbox live, language support and support for local currencies.

Marketing, dev studios and subscriptions don't fix those things. Especially subscriptions, which are a pain in the ass without region or currency support

Whats your evidence for this?
The country's xbox is in have the euro and xbox supports the language where console is at in Europe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom