• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spain: Sony PS5 Breaks a New Record and Become The Best Selling Console in 2021 despite somehow being second behind Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
What?
This is wrong. Switch is way ahead of PS5

Switch YTD >200k
PS5 YTD >150k

Sales Spain Week 33 2021: Switch and PS5, with 200,000 and 150,000 consoles (gamereactor.es)

Not happy having the best week in sales for the console with 8k units sold last week, this week PS5 break again that record with 14k consoles making it the best selling console of 2021.

Number for this week:

PS5: 14000
Switch: 5000
Series: 1000

TOP 10 Sales Week 30: from July 26 to August 1, 2021​

1. Destruction AllStars for PlayStation 5 (4500 bundles)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD for Nintendo Switch
  3. Minecraft for Nintendo Switch
  4. Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PlayStation 5 (3000 bundles)
  5. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury for Nintendo Switch
  6. Song of Horror: Deluxe Edition for PlayStation 4
  7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch
  8. Grand Theft Auto V for PlayStation 4
  9. NEO: The World Ends With You for Nintendo Switch
  10. Ratchet & Clank: A Dimension Apart for PlayStation 5

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert right now

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Lupin25

I laughed because it's nonsense within this context. PS5 would sell without exclusives too.

Yeah, probably around the same amount as Xbox, though.

Once MS starts dropping great exclusives, it will pay dividends for them.

Let’s not act like they don’t play much of a factor in success. Brand recognition is important.

Once Sony doubled-down on prioritizing high production values, first-party exclusives became a hot commodity for most consumers (even when a game is $70 and 5-10 hours in duration).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
At least Destruction: Allstars seemed to have helped move units someplace. Has Spain traditionally been a PlayStation-centric country when it comes to consoles?

TrueLegend

Godfall and Destruction All-Stars should be considered a scam. Scamming PlayStation buyers, cashing on high demand of console just like that gigabyte PSU that is exploding. Sony should have shipped more Demon's Souls, Rachet and Returnal copies and bundles. Atleast you can build some legacy with those games.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I sold Destruction AllStars, and the shop gave me... 3$.
That's how much people like the game : )

I guess soon there will be trucks loaded with DAS copies going somewhere to burn all that useless plastic.

I see a real problem for Sony still. The software is sold mostly through bundles. It's like they have a problem with their pricing strategy. People are buying PS5 hardware, but not exclusive PS5 software (and they have very good software: Ratchet, Returnal, Demon's souls)

It was very different with Swtich launch everywhere in the world. Remember when Nintendo was selling more games than consoles at some point? They are still selling truckload of software at the same 60€ price around the world, without any price cut.

This should be a concern to Sony for long term. They dont have gamepass and all their strategy is based on selling big AAA games at 80€. But when highly rated software (some of them best game of the year stuff) don't sell much at launch, what are they going to do? Well "AAA gaming is dead, let's do our own gamepass". They must replace their boss and change their price strategy. PS4 price strategy was perfect.

Last edited:
Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
At least Destruction: Allstars seemed to have helped move units someplace. Has Spain traditionally been a PlayStation-centric country when it comes to consoles?
Yes. Been living here for 30 years and I stil have to see an Xbox. No joke.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What a shit bundle for the Spaniards. At least in the UK we just have Ratchet. Seriously why not push Ratchet/DeS/Returnal instead of abusing people with Destruction All Stars?

What a shit bundle for the Spaniards. At least in the UK we just have Ratchet. Seriously why not push Ratchet/DeS/Returnal instead of abusing people with Destruction All Stars?
Makes sense from a business standpoint. Bundle a 3€ game and charge an extra 70€ for it. Free money.

Loope

The numbers don't lie. Sony has had the #1 console 3 out of 4 generations
Fact is Spain and Portugal for example, Xbox doesn't even register, exclusives or not exclusives, it is not because of those games that it sells. Hell, people (besides people in their 20's 30's) call evert console a playstation, even if it is a Nintendo. During what was the strongest MS generation (X360) if you walked into a videogame store, you'd see a shelf with X360 games and 10 with PS3 games.

Are you telling me the X360 didn't have exclusives? Sony cemented a market with the PS2 nobody will be able to take away from them.

zedinen

Spain is the most Playstation centric country in the world by far. I am not joking.

EUROPE (LTD)

PS4 ~50M
PS3 ~35M
NSW ~22M

supply-constrained PS5 could win Q3 in Europe.

While is true that the European market is dominated by multiplatform games, the combination of japanese games and first-party exclusives has helped Sony to differentiate PlayStation from its rivals and unify a traditionally fragmented market (Spectrum, Amstrad, Commodore, MSX, Atari, Nintendo, Sega, PC ...)

Japan has stopped buying its own games, but Japanese games have found a new home in Europe and NA, thanks to PlayStation (which is why sales in Japan and Japanese sales are exactly the opposite). And Sony exclusives like Gran Turismo, Uncharted or Spiderman sell systems in Europe.

Contrary to the popular belief, exclusives have been a boon for the industry.

Having said that, the strength of the PlayStation brand enables Sony to explore bringing exclusives to PC. If done properly, PS5 worldwide hardware sales could increase instead of decreasing, thanks to Eastern Europe and Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom