• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spain Charts : PS5 & Xbox Series X/S launch week

Arioco

Spain has been Sonyland ever since the first PlayStation launched.

It was the 4th country where PSX, sold most, after USA, Japan and the UK. And we're just 45 million people.

It's a similar situation to Japan, XBOX just doesn't stand a chance.

Microsoft did very well in Spain with 360, though, but PlayStation is way more popular overall.

Rolla

Banned
The limited data we are seeing is pointing to a PS2-like 80/20 split.

Nice work MS.

Which is why the XBOX PR about launch confused a lot of people. The limited data does suggests that in terms of actual units, moved they're just slightly above the XBOX One's launch. Obviously we don't have the full picture but it looks like Playstation 5 might be somewhere between 2/3 - 1

Spain has been Sonyland ever since the first PlayStation launched.

It was the 4th country where PSX, sold most, after USA, Japan and the UK. And we're just 45 million people.

It's a similar situation to Japan, XBOX just doesn't stand a chance.

Microsoft did very well in Spain with 360, though, but PlayStation is way more popular overall.

Germany, France, have supposedly had more units sold.

silentstorm

Honestly, Sony just swept through Europe when the PS1 arrived, Portugal is the same way, you're more likely to see big sections for PS4 games than Switch games, let alone Xbox.

I don't think Microsoft is even trying to be more than 3rd place at this point, they just sell enough consoles to be profitable to their fans and have accepted they can't beat Sony and Nintendo.

OrtizTwelve

XBOX historically has only done well in ANZAC nations (Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada)

Outside of those regions, PlayStation as a brand performs overwhelming well

yurinka

Both consoles are sold out everywhere here in Spain, so don't read too much on these numbers because they are the ones both companies could supply. Here Sony said that there will be more units on December but will be sold online only. They released a second batch of consoles of launch day (to be sent on mid December) which was sold out in a few minutes, as happened with the launch units preorders.

There is a lot of people who wants to buy them but couldn't. I bet Sony could have sold x2 or x3 times the amount of units in Spain if would have been possible to produce more.

PS5 is the best launch of a Sony home console in Spain :

• PS5 : 43 000 units (19 November 2020)
  • PS2 : 40 000 units (24 November 2000)
  • PS4 : 38 000 units (29 November 2013)
  • PS3 : 35 000 units (23 March 2007)
But the best launch for a Sony console in Spain is for the PSP with 54 200 units (1 September 2005)

Xbox Series X/S has had a launch similar to the previous Microsoft consoles :

• Xbox One : 15 000 units (22 November 2013)
  • Xbox 360 : 14 900 units (2 December 2005)
  • Xbox Series X/S : 14 100 units (10 November 2020)

Nintendo Wii : 15 000
Nintendo Switch : 44 673

If you want to add it, the WiiU number is 9 000 units.

So even then people already started to go after portables...If Sony did not discontinue PSP it would be trading blows with Switch these days. Probably not, but still it would sell. Though, the problem was that PSP/Vita had a separate set of games unlike Switch.
Spain is Sonyland to the point that here even PS3 on its early days a 599€ performed very well in sales. And even Vita sold well in Spain too.

Last edited:

yurinka

Is europe saving their slips for the ps5 I hope?🌐
Europe traditionally has been the biggest market for PS. It's the only gaming platform where they sell more in EU/EMEA than in NA.

Which is why the XBOX PR about launch confused a lot of people. The limited data does suggests that in terms of actual units, moved they're just slightly above the XBOX One's launch. Obviously we don't have the full picture but it looks like Playstation 5 might be somewhere between 2/3 - 1
I agree, PS4 vs XBO difference was above 2:1 worldwide and I think that for many reasons this generation the difference will be higher. I expect it to be this time closer to 3:1 than to 2:1. And that PS5 will outsell PS4 and become the best selling console ever.

I'm pretty sure Sony will achieve their target for PS5 of selling more than what PS4 did until March (7M) and looking at their announced 2021 AAA exclusives (even more comparing them to the MS ones) I'm pretty confident PS5 will sell more units than PS4 during the whole 2021 too. I expect PS5 to be supply constrained at least until Spring 2021 and that their production capabilities will define their sales because demand will be bigger.

Last edited:
Series S feels like biggest waste of silicon ever - from the era thread on this it's only one that still had stock and despite that sold less than 4k units.

Unknown?

Series S feels like biggest waste of silicon ever - from the era thread on this it's only one that still had stock and despite that sold less than 4k units.
They should have named it the Xbox Vita based on the resolution in some games it's outputting. In all seriousness it's just a terrible value.

Top Bottom