• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX building Starship in Texas (live videos of construction)

MastaKiiLA

Starship yard saled. Tim looks shook. Thinks they might have lost some equipment to falling debris. That would suck to have that happen on a day when you couldn't see shit.

What a really strange day overall. They launch in pea-soup fog, and then end up blowing the thing up during the start of the landing sequence. Little to no visible evidence of what transpired, other than huge chunks of space ship falling to the ground.

I'm curious about what is inside these test vehicles. Do they already account for seating, passengers, interiors etc? Will all that be accounted for in future tests/iterations?

I'm curious about what is inside these test vehicles. Do they already account for seating, passengers, interiors etc? Will all that be accounted for in future tests/iterations?
I think that comes later right now they just want to make sure it takes off and lands where and when it should

all that other stuff you'll start seeing in the next phase. We will know the next phase when we start seeing windows and hatches.
Mind you they pretty much already know what they want to crew and cargo areas to look like but that is about a year away.

update

Last edited:
I think that comes later right now they just want to make sure it takes off and lands where and when it should

all that other stuff you'll start seeing in the next phase. We will know the next phase when we start seeing windows and hatches.
Mind you they pretty much already know what they want to crew and cargo areas to look like but that is about a year away.

I saw the renders and what not of the interiors, looks good and spacious by comparison to the older NASA/international systems. I guess I was just curious how much they back into early testing, one would think things like hatches and the like would be paramount to get into real world testing, obviously things like interiors are far less priority.

I saw the renders and what not of the interiors, looks good and spacious by comparison to the older NASA/international systems. I guess I was just curious how much they back into early testing, one would think things like hatches and the like would be paramount to get into real world testing, obviously things like interiors are far less priority.
it is still a good question to be curious about, I am not sure how it is handled but I would think weight and balance would be important. Right now you have a nose tank and the renders had nice windows near to nose. Maybe the final design will look nothing like the renders.

still the interior space will be huge.

Catching fairings always seemed a little "thread the needle" like and too dependent on weather or ocean variables etc. I wonder if they can just treat the fairings to be more resistant to salt water for faster recovery instead.

Catching fairings always seemed a little "thread the needle" like and too dependent on weather or ocean variables etc. I wonder if they can just treat the fairings to be more resistant to salt water for faster recovery instead.
Catching the Starship with an arm or hook sounds like the same move to me it sounds risky

update

Wait the whole starship? Holy shit.
Well Elon has been talking about it during these SN testing so I would think it woild have been the top half but you got a point both halves will need a way to land and he has been talking catching and they even files some contruction papers of the tower recently that mentions the tower catching Starship.

The whole thing makes me dizzy.

I did not mind the nets on two ships hoping to catch a metal pieces that can save them millions

but this Voltron level anime thing I can't get my mind around it.

Not saying it won't work just saying it is a wierd way of doing it.

Well Elon has been talking about it during these SN testing so I would think it woild have been the top half but you got a point both halves will need a way to land and he has been talking catching and they even files some contruction papers of the tower recently that mentions the tower catching Starship.

The whole thing makes me dizzy.

I did not mind the nets on two ships hoping to catch a metal pieces that can save them millions

but this Voltron level anime thing I can't get my mind around it.

Not saying it won't work just saying it is a wierd way of doing it.
Next up in Musk's crazy brain...a giant robot arm spinning up a WWF style throw to launch rockets into space.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If it can land gently on the ground it should be able to land via the giant arm. Makes a lot of sense, could have robotics equipment in proximity to work on it immediately, remove any remaining fuel, etc. And of course rapidly refuel for another launch at some point per Elon.

Interesting BN1 update
Super Heavy BN1, the manufacturing pathfinder, was cut in half overnight and more sections were sliced today. SpaceX will scrap BN1 to make room for newer booster prototypes that will implement changes and undergo testing at the launch pad.

Top Bottom