• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source: Stadia turned down an exclusive Death Stranding follow-up from Kojima

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadPanda

Banned
Weird, but wtf were Sony and MS doing letting Kojima shop DS around like that? Snatch that up asap. Didnt Herman go to award shows with kojima after DS? Why not greenlight DS2 right away? We wouldve gotten a sequel either by now or by next year.

Because it didn't perform well enough commercially. That should be obvious. I enjoyed it a lot, one of the best exclusives on PS but it didn't resonate with the mainstream audience. I hope we still get the sequel one day.

Fbh

Kojima: "Hey you want a cool exclusive by one of the best known names in gaming?"
Google:
we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

Anyway, if true it would have been some sort of spiritual successor as I think Sony owns the Death Stranding IP

tusharngf

they knew its Kojima.. such games wont appeal to mass public. If its something in the line of MGS then it could have worked.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The whole situation with Kojima is weird

It’s been 3 years since DS

We should be getting a game from them in the next year or two

But all we have is radio silence
Lots of radio silence for Sony studios tbh. DS came out in 2019 along with Days Gone. 3.5 years later, Bend has only managed to produce a fucking logo. Kojima made DS in 3.5 years, yet 3 years later, not even a single trailer. Cory started dev on his new IP in April 2018. 4.5 years later, not even a hint of an announcement let alone a trailer. GG's new IP that they were hiring for going back to 2017 is a no show.

SSM and GG I can understand they are stretched too thin trying to ship last gen games, but KojiPro and Bend have no excuse.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
they knew its Kojima.. such games wont appeal to mass public. If its something in the line of MGS then it could have worked.
On what planet is MGS a game with mass appeal? Sony's exclusive are likewise definition of a niche. Mass appeal = CoD, FIFA, Fortnite, that's it.

They turned it down because they were:
A. Stupid
B. Corporate already decided to scale back the investments

Ni
On what planet is MGS a game with mass appeal? Sony's exclusive are likewise definition of a niche. Mass appeal = CoD, FIFA, Fortnite, that's it.

They turned it down because they were:
A. Stupid
B. Corporate already decided to scale back the investments
Niche that sells millions?? do you even know what is niche? Some people use words just to make bigger paragraphs, take a dictionary for once.

Niche: denoting products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.

I guess in your country they haven't yet discover Google.com.

ElCasual

Sounds like Google dont want work with Kojima and Kojima dont wanna work with Playstation in the era of Jim Ryan.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Stadia turning down something that might actually provide value to their system, and Kojima thinking Stadia was going to have legs?

Hocus Pocus Halloween GIF
I know loads of developers who used stadia for test builds so their staff could easily test the product while COVID was going on, the service was great for things like that.

Gojiira

Banned
Definitely misleading, Death Stranding was published by Sony, they own the ip…So it was obviously some kind of successor not a sequel.

nial

Gold Member
In fact, our source says it was that single-player nature of the game that led Google to cancel Stadia’s collaboration with Kojima, with the company believing there was no longer a market for solo experiences.
And yet, God of War Ragnarok is the biggest game this year. Sure, no one cares about single-player experiences!

Well, sure we can say that. But that's exactly why you partner with big names, so make people take notice of your platform.
I do agree with that and they did make some deals with "big names" but I guess the deals themselves weren't big enough. Kojima isn't really a big name. Maybe to the likes of us on here but when I think of big names it's the likes of Fifa, Fortnite, COD, etc. The average/casual gamer has no idea who the fuck Kojima is and probably would never go near a game like Death Stranding or even MGS.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Yeah, good troll....5 million hardcore gamers. Ok i rest my case.
First of all you are referring to Death Stranding and not MGS5, but that's ok, the results are not that far out:

DS: 5mln
MGS5: 6mln (Source)

What was PS4 install base in 2019? 112.6mln units:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/697187/installed-base-of-sony-and-microsoft-game-consoles/

Meaning 4.44% of all PS4 users got Death Stranding. Which is PRETTY FUCKING NICHE. Here, let me show you games that are on consoles and can be said to have "mass appeal": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Here is another link putting the above number into perspective: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...tch is seeing record,37% for Super Smash Bros.

Out of all Switch users when that article was published:
47% bought MK8
43% bought Mario Odyssey
37% bought Smash

So instead of insulting me how about you learn how to Google, since you do not seem to be doing a really good job?

Calverz

How many times do these companies have to learn that the player base and enthusiasm is huge for single player games?

Its so insane. Not only does it not make intuitive sense but also business sense. It's been seen over and over again this and last gen since this ridiculous sentiment took hold. Gow, horizon, elden ring, zeldas, marios, ass greeds, forza, etc.

Years of evidence that they ignore
There is a market for sure. But I don’t think it’s as big as some people on here think it is. These companies want to sell hundreds of millions of copies of games with recurring money coming through by way of mtx. Selling 20 million copies of single player games with no further money coming in isn’t enough now.

I'm disappointed kojima would even consider making a game for stadia at all. Thought he had standards but guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
Would have been a waste of money.

They should have bought a publisher and made their game’s exclusive to the platform by a month or two.

skit_data

Ok, interesting. I guess this allows us to conclude that the game Kojima is making with Xbox is sort of a Death Stranding sequel/affiliated. Probably pretty loosely because it would be wierd if Death Stranding is on PS consoles and a sequel is only on Xbox. Unless this is a multiplatform game?

I Master l

Banned
Kojima Productions team dont have the capacity to make AAA title by themselves, Arab insider
said it years ago that Death Stranding is pretty much a Guerrilla studios game, They didnt only
provide the engine but also the majority of manpower, I doubt anyone is willing to provide
Kojima the resources needed to build an AAA team to make a sequel for an underperformed game

Last edited:
First of all, I don't believe this for a fucking second. BUT! If this is true, how badly did Death Stranding sell for Kojima to have to go beg for money from fucking Google for his next game? I mean I know the game supposedly sold 5 million copies, but against what kind of budget? Did it break even?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't overestimate the amount of effort that needs to go into a pitch.

Kojima could just have been fishing to see what sort of numbers Google would be willing to offer. Objectively Kojima got bitten hard by being associated with a single publisher for his entire career pre Konami "divorce". If you were him, wouldn't you think the smart move would be to ensure that you're never stuck in the same situation again?

Said it from the start, my reading is that Kojima is going to want to run multiple projects so he's not left too exposed if his creative vision gets to be too much of a risk for his current partner. Quite rightly with that sort of mindset he'd look at his deal with Sony to be valuable, but absolutely non-exclusive.

Okay but seems to me Google had nothing lined up.

You go all in on this industry like Nintendo/Sony/MS did. Google wanted to half ass it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
God they’re fucking stupid. Glad stadia went under.

Any company that thinks solo experiences are dead needs to die slowly.

3liteDragon

Sony doesn’t own the IP?
They do.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Kojima saw the writing on the wall that Google was gonna abandon stadia like they do everything and tried to get them to cut a check before it went belly up.

Reallink

"In fact, our source says it was that single-player nature of the game that led Google to cancel Stadia’s collaboration with Kojima, with the company believing there was no longer a market for solo experiences."

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

They're right though. Death Stranding 2 would have cost a fortune and only pulled in a few million middle aged gamers who'd have done nothing but complain about streaming before dropping the service the next week. Todays kids under 25 have no idea who Kojima is and barely interface with SP games at all unless one goes viral on Twitch Tok. There's a reason Sony has most of their first partys working on MP GAAS titles. A few tentpole SP games still sell well enough, but the real money's in finding the next Fortnite, Minecraft, or Roblox. Hell, even Genshin Impact dwarfs Sony's biggest SP games combined. They'd have to sell 60 million copies of Ragnarok at $70 on their own store to match Genshin.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They're right though. Death Stranding 2 would have cost a fortune and only pulled in a few million middle aged gamers who'd have done nothing but complain about streaming before dropping the service the next week. Todays kids under 25 have no idea who Kojima is and barely interface with SP games at all unless one goes viral on Twitch Tok. There's a reason Sony has most of their first partys working on MP GAAS titles. A few tentpole SP games still sell well enough, but the real money's in finding the next Fortnite, Minecraft, or Roblox.

Sony is diversifying their offering to include more multiplayer but that doesn't mean they are abandoning single player. Why would they? Their single player games continue to sell extremely well. So no, Google was not right. There is a healthy market for single player games. Having said that, I don't think Death Stranding 2 would be the right game for Stadia though. Either way, plenty of would-be Fortnite game developers out there wish they had a few million middle aged gamers buying their game.

plip.plop

I find it more alarming that Kojima is willing to sell out to a garbage platform like Stadia with an abysmal userbase. I thought the guy had some standards.
Kojima is a Ronin. After Konami died in the gaming space, he now sells his services to the highest bidder.

Tbh, it's a bit shitty of Kojima to whore out a direct follow-up to DS exclusively to a shitty platform like Stadia.

I mean, you create the first game exclusively on PS, garner a sizeable loyal fanbase for the game and the franchise and then give them the middle finger telling them they have to sign up to stadia's shitty platform to play the sequel.

Either this rumour is bollocks, or Kojima is a bit of a dick for even contemplating this.

Lunarorbit

There is a market for sure. But I don’t think it’s as big as some people on here think it is. These companies want to sell hundreds of millions of copies of games with recurring money coming through by way of mtx. Selling 20 million copies of single player games with no further money coming in isn’t enough now.
Well it might not be enough for companies like snk or ubisoft that have outside investment pressures to produce mxt. I definitely agree with you. I guess it's more fair to gauge it by individual companies.

For example octopath has sold 3 million copies and square is happy with that and greenlit a sequel. I was surprised it was so few cause of the attention it got. Tokyo rpg factory I imagine was happy with I am setsunas sales but I would expect lower numbers from them cause it's a small team. Maybe octopath had a small team too.

But we both know that it's not just the companies that have been announcing the death of single player. Plenty of "journalists" bought the same line.

Infamy v1

Stadia was doomed from the start with their leadership and lack of gaming knowledge/direction. Imagine turning down an exclusive Kojima game when the guy dreamed about making a cloud game and you are touting your premiere cloud service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom