• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source: PlayStation 5 to adjust plans in response Xbox Series X pricing

MrFunSocks

Banned
So it has the same 5.5Gbps I/o Subsystem, the same audio engine, the same gpu cache scrubbers etc ? No mate sorry it has a far weaker I/o subsystem and a far weaker gpu and much less memory bandwidth, its a turd mate the series X is a good console, the series S is a turd.
Lol it has a ssd with fast IO, it has its own just as powerful audio engine, it has its own gpu customised features.

It’s every bit as advanced tech wise, it’s just been scaled back on the implementation of the ram and gpu size since it’s the budget offering.

vdopey

Lol it has a ssd with fast IO, it has its own just as powerful audio engine, it has its own gpu customised features.

It’s every bit as advanced tech wise, it’s just been scaled back on the implementation of the ram and gpu size since it’s the budget offering.

Whatever man, keep fighting the good fight, if turds float your boat so be it.

I swear I've been getting these emails from all millions of Nigerian Princes the past two decades, but I wonder why I never got one from a Nigerian Princess!

xDeGHVa.gif

yurinka

I have a similar source, which you can see here pictured:
male-butt-lift-199x300.jpg

Out of my source, I say Sony already had planned to release PS5 at $499 and the discless SKU at $449, and that none of what MS has announced related to Series X and Series S changed their plans.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How does Xbox All Access work people who already have Gamepass for several years?
ok, one, gamepass hasn't been out for several years, but two, i would imagine you would cancel your current GP sub and just pick up Xbox All access. Pay 35 bucks a month and be done with it. I mean before I had to choose what console to buy first, and this gen PC upgrades has become the best consideration. Now with this option I don't have to compromise. I can buy a 3080 and whatever cpu i land on and still get an xbox series x on layaway basically...cept you get to use the product while it's on layaway.

oldergamer

They’d be mad to take a loss on the hardware. There’s no way on this earth Xbox will outsell Playstation, even if PS5 costs more. Far too many people bought into the ecosystem already - it would take an absolute disaster on Sony’s part to lose the lead they have.
With sony believing the generational approach, there is very little reason to stay inside the ecosystem, which is one of the main reasons ms has gone with a different approach backwards and forwards compatible tied to services is how you keep people in an ecosystem.

This is akin to the difference between apple and ms on pc in looser terms. Apple is perfectly fine releasing new os versions that told people you have to buy all new software, where as ms lets you run apps on Windows dating back to years. There doesn't have to be a reason you toss your old software out. Or rather the choice should be you want new software but aren't forced to upgrade.

Xbox 360 built a great ecosystem and then threw most of it away with the launch of xbox one. You had less reason to stay in the ecosystem. Spencer somewhat revived the connection to the 360 with back compat support, but the damage was done. They are doing a better job of this now.

Last edited:

oldergamer

So 25 to 35 dollars a month for 2 years gets u a console and 160 games. Did ms say what game pass costs after the 2 years?

Its the type of service the keeps people in the ecosystem providing they see value and a constant stream of new titles.

skneogaf

I wish Sony had come out with their original $599 & $550 price as I would like to have seen how much Sony fans are willing to pay.

I think it would still have sold out in an hour.

dEvAnGeL

Would they?
Only estimates I've seen for BOM is $450. Which is immediately recovered by one $60 AAA game or a second controller.
BOM is just the price of the console materials, you're forgetting controller, packaging and the cut retails get for selling the console, it is much more than $60.

Södy

The price difference for the disc less version won't be just the cost for the drive. In the end, the disc less version is more profitable for Sony, because all games need to go through their store. Their prices, their share. That's a big plus for them and worth making the no disc version even less expensive.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
With sony believing the generational approach, there is very little reason to stay inside the ecosystem, which is one of the main reasons ms has gone with a different approach backwards and forwards compatible tied to services is how you keep people in an ecosystem.

This is akin to the difference between apple and ms on pc in looser terms. Apple is perfectly fine releasing new os versions that told people you have to buy all new software, where as ms lets you run apps on Windows dating back to years. There doesn't have to be a reason you toss your old software out. Or rather the choice should be you want new software but aren't forced to upgrade.

Xbox 360 built a great ecosystem and then threw most of it away with the launch of xbox one. You had less reason to stay in the ecosystem. Spencer somewhat revived the connection to the 360 with back compat support, but the damage was done. They are doing a better job of this now.
Strong new exclusives and a clear generational jump plus BC has worked well for them for over 25 years (PS3 to PS4 aside) and for their gamers too, but somehow when MS has a problem cracking it and dominating then problem is the console generations model which needs to be replaced... yup... :rolleyes:.

MS is doing what they think it is best, trying to disrupt the market and replace it with the Windows PC one, it does not mean it is the best thing for console gaming in and of itself nor the only viable model.

You are not incorrect about apps support on macOS, but it is not macOS itself that is not supporting the HW (their HW jumps causing that are very very infrequent, look how many years back macOS supports in terms of HW, same if not better for iOS). Forward compatibility is a bit trickier but it is more like backward deployment than forward compatibility... semantics (min deployment SDK vs target SDK) perhaps. What you do gain on macOS and iOS especially for the tradeoff you were alluding to (and over exaggerating as there is many years old software running with the latest iOS 14 beta without any trouble) is a much tighter ecosystem integration and sometimes better use of HW generally (especially on mobile... see the security improvements with Apple planning A chips together with iOS revisions... look at arm64e for examples of that).

MS’s dream is something just like iOS and as tightly controlled running from PC’s to consoles to wearables... and consoles. The latter coupled with generationless talks and GaaS models is what I have a problem with as it attacks what I believe consoles are for and why I like them

vdopey

Strong new exclusives and a clear generational jump plus BC has worked well for them for over 25 years (PS3 to PS4 aside) and for their gamers too, but somehow when MS has a problem cracking it and dominating then problem is the console generations model which needs to be replaced... yup... :rolleyes:.

MS is doing what they think it is best, trying to disrupt the market and replace it with the Windows PC one, it does not mean it is the best thing for console gaming in and of itself nor the only viable model.

You are not incorrect about apps support on macOS, but it is not macOS itself that is not supporting the HW (their HW jumps causing that are very very infrequent, look how many years back macOS supports in terms of HW, same if not better for iOS). Forward compatibility is a bit trickier but it is more like backward deployment than forward compatibility... semantics (min deployment SDK vs target SDK) perhaps. What you do gain on macOS and iOS especially for the tradeoff you were alluding to (and over exaggerating as there is many years old software running with the latest iOS 14 beta without any trouble) is a much tighter ecosystem integration and sometimes better use of HW generally (especially on mobile... see the security improvements with Apple planning A chips together with iOS revisions... look at arm64e for examples of that).

MS’s dream is something just like iOS and as tightly controlled running from PC’s to consoles to wearables... and consoles. The latter coupled with generationless talks and GaaS models is what I have a problem with as it attacks what I believe consoles are for and why I like them

To be honest I think oldergamer is completely wrong here:

This is akin to the difference between apple and ms on pc in looser terms. Apple is perfectly fine releasing new os versions that told people you have to buy all new software, where as ms lets you run apps on Windows dating back to years

This has nothing to do with why Apple has the smaller market share, Microsoft sold windows the operating system, it never traditionally made or sold hardware, Apple originally sold hardware and it made the OS to sell that hardware. Apple has never opened up macOS or OSX to third party hardware vendors and has always tightly controlled their operating system to their own hardware. The reason why windows exploded is I think someone like compaq reverse engineered the IBM bios and made IBM pc clones, IBM took them to court and lost, but also IBM never saw this as anything major they were more interested in the mainframe business. This allowed cheap clones to burst on the scene which gave rise to Intel and the x86 instruction set and to the PC space we know today.

I also completely agree with you, Microsoft has been peering at apple walled garden and the google advertising market with some jealousy for some time now, its tried to imitate the same luck it had with the PC space, first it was zune vs ipod that failed, then the smart phones where it actually went after android and that failed and destroyed nokia in the process.

Now its the cloud where it has Amazon AWS and Google GCE as its main competitors but AWS is by far the market leaders.
Also its trying desperately to build a walled garden around windows applications, Windows 8 was an attempt at releasing an apple style walled garden and that has so far failed.
They have no smart phone business that failed miserably, so they cant build an IOS style walled garden anyway.

The reason why they say Sony isn't their competitor but Google and Amazon are is because they want to be the market leaders in cloud compute, it wont happen, but ultimately stuff like gamepass and xcloud are probably internally linked and its their attempt to build market share and move game publishers and their development teams on to azure as the compute platform for their services. I think Satya Nadella's main focus is and has always been growing out Azure, I don't think he cares at all about the games consoles. The reason they entered the console space was to stick a windows pc into the living room, that was the goal but smartphones and tablets are the main compute for living rooms not games consoles - the final attempt at this was the xbox 1 a console that could sort of play games, but its main purpose was to be the living room / entertainment PC tv,tv,tv,sports,tv,sports,tv, that also failed.

nordique

$399 is happening for the DE. The BoM is only $450.

Even if Sony sells something at cost of BoM, they are already selling it at a massive loss. BoM is Only part of the overall retail price, and very far removed from the whole picture

I hope the price is same as at least Xbox series x, because I tend to enjoy lower prices vs higher prices when possible

Last edited:

fersnake

i dont know what would be more profitable for them to give free 1 yr ps plus with a game or cut 50/100 bucks from the console.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says that Sony is scared and had to delay their conference to change the price of ps5 to match Microsoft. Also says that PS5s are manufactured in Wuhan factories.

HYOh5LR.jpg

mwG17g4.jpg

vdopey

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says that Sony is scared and had to delay their conference to change the price of ps5 to match Microsoft. Also says that PS5s are manufactured in Wuhan factories.

HYOh5LR.jpg

mwG17g4.jpg

is your friend actually you ?

FStubbs

The reason they entered the console space was to stick a windows pc into the living room

I thought the main reason was to defend against Sony who they feared was headed for a monopoly in gaming, which would've made their DirectX and other APIs useless in favor of open APIs - and from there potentially break their Windows business. Xbox was originally "DirectX box" after all.

EDIT: It's why IIRC their Plan A was to simply buy Nintendo, and their Plan B was putting a form of Windows on Dreamcast.

Last edited:

HYOh5LR.jpg

mwG17g4.jpg

Stop quoting your mentally challenged friend. What is the point?

I think XBox is deliberately holding back the XSX 'All Digital' edition until Sony announces their prices. They might not release it right away, but perhaps in a month?

vdopey

I thought the main reason was to defend against Sony who they feared was headed for a monopoly in gaming, which would've made their DirectX and other APIs useless in favor of open APIs - and from there potentially break their Windows business. Xbox was originally "DirectX box" after all.

EDIT: It's why IIRC their Plan A was to simply buy Nintendo, and their Plan B was putting a form of Windows on Dreamcast.

Bill Gates big vision was to put windows in the living room (I think it was in every room).
I think back then yeah that might have played a part in it they as a company feared competition. I remember reading something about this years ago, where they had approached Sony to use windows and directx for their games console, sony declined - they approached sega and I think Sega took up on the offer and ultimately sega failed as a console manufacturer - then microsoft stepped in with their own console. I cant remember specifics I looked for the article and I cant find it now.

You have to remember Microsoft back then was deathly afraid of open source software and Sony has used a Unix based operating system from the start (opengl started on sgi unix). PS2 for example had a version of Linux released for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2 it was to enable home computing and amateur games dev on the ps2, I think the main ps2 dev kit ran linux to interface with the freebsd / unix system. ps3 had other os which allowed linux to run inside a compatibility layer.

This was all very frightening to MS, the theory was given a choice customers wouldn't buy their products. Microsoft itself had a very major fear of competition, ultimately windows is not just an operating system its a way of forcing their own other products onto the masses, stuff like internet explorer, edge, outlook, office etc their software sales depended on the windows monopoly and any computing platform they couldn't control was and is a threat to that monopoly.

Anyway I cant be bothered to go into a history lesson, its very long and boring and I cant be bothered, other than your stuff holds merit, so does mine and its all dirty business.

Last edited:
Top Bottom