• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source: PlayStation 5 to adjust plans in response Xbox Series X pricing

TigerKnee

IF true, which I don't believe, this is why we need competition folks.

However, Sony would be throwing money away if it is selling it at a loss. They simply don't need to.

ZywyPL

Banned
Consoles used to be sold at a loss in the past, Sony was initially losing almost 350$ on each PS3, and there was nothing to buck it up, but that was almost 15 years ago, times have changed significantly since then, now we have PS Plus, DLCs, Season Passes, microtransactions etc., so a 100-150$ loss today is nothing, every single console sold will make up that loss within first quarter, easily. Just look at all Sony's financial reports, where and how much revenue comes from, they can sustain 399$ DE, they just needs to have balls to do it.

Calverz

IF true, which I don't believe, this is why we need competition folks.

However, Sony would be throwing money away if it is selling it at a loss. They simply don't need to.
There was someone in this forum who argued that competition from xbox does nothing for playstation. It was really sad and pathetic to read 🤣

sinnergy

Yeah and Apple scrambled to change its iPhone pricing next week in response to the Microsoft Surface Duo pricing.

This is not how it works folks.
That’s exactly what Sony did when MS announced Xbox One for 499, they dropped it last minute to 399. So never say never.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It is going to be 699 because of the powerful SSD.

Jaxcellent

I figure Sony will stay on course 399 for the digital version, take a loss make it up with software sales, the version with the drive 499 to match XSex. Maybe one of the two will get more aggressive in December, possibly XSex for 450. I'm not so convinced by the S model, I Really need to see some games running on it.

Chiggs

Yeah and Apple scrambled to change its iPhone pricing next week in response to the Microsoft Surface Duo pricing.

This is not how it works folks.

Except that is how it works. Companies evaluate the market and their direct competitors. Granted, market leaders don't knee jerk to every move a competitor makes (not the good ones at least), but a smart company like Sony has smart leaders that will make sure due diligence is done.

I get that the rumor was written in a sensational fashion that insinuates panic, but if you look past that dumb journalistic narrative, what's so ridiculous here? Would you prefer Sony not factor in competitor pricing?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

I was thinking the PS5 would be $599 all day long but after MS announced the X at $499, there's no way Sony will give them that
much of a price gap. I think Sony matches the $499(physical media edition) or hits at $550 tops. A fifty dollar difference(especially

with a more solid line up of launch window games) is negligible IMO.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I was thinking the PS5 would be $599 all day long but after MS announced the X at $499, there's no way Sony will give them that
much of a price gap. I think Sony matches the $499(physical media edition) or hits at $550 tops. A fifty dollar difference(especially

with a more solid line up of launch window games) is negligible IMO.

bubbles-reading.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've said it before. Why do folks think PS5 would be more expensive then next gen Xbox. It's less powerful.
What makes folks think this piece of tech should be more expensive?

MrMephistoX

I could see $450 for the PS5 and $399 for the disc less. It’s more expensive but they can also argue the premium is worth it compared to the under powered S.

At the end of the day though neither of these boxes are exciting at launch unless we get some surprise announcements in the next few weeks. I’m not even sure I’ll get either of them at launch since I have the Pro and One X and don’t see any cool third party stuff I’m interested in yet that I won’t be just as happy playing on my free and clear consoles.

oldergamer

I've said it before. Why do folks think PS5 would be more expensive then next gen Xbox. It's less powerful.
What makes folks think this piece of tech should be more expensive?
Because they are spending more on cooling, more on the memory used for the SSD, and in general more for the much larger mobo.

chasimus

Companies go into R&D on projects years in advance with specific prices in mind. Sony had a price to hit and they will hit it. And I highly doubt it was $600

CAB_Life

$449 (DE) And $499 are realistic price points, respectively, and if they’re more than that Sony will lose their momentum. I can’t see them being that stupid. But stranger things have happened.

I reckon Sony's actually going to sell both of them for $399.

Not separately. Both for $399. You'll buy the DE from Amazon and get a mahoosive box with both the disc and disc-less versions. Two console, two controllers, two HDMI cables.

Would be pretty sweet, eh? When your controller starts to go flat, you just turn on the other machine! :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I was saying this as well. I guess its both hardware an license fees, but I'm pretty sure sony doesn't need to pay any

They do for UHD blu ray. That was why people were confused as to why it was excluded on the Pro. Base spec Blu Ray Sony doesn't pay for, but UHD there's other licenses involved.

If the BOM estimate for the PS5 was 450 dollars, I can see them taking a small loss to sell the digital edition for 400 without a 20-30 dollar drive and licensing.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
So almost the entire forum was saying they’re playing chicken with MS so they can adapt their pricing if MS undercut them, and now someone is saying that’s what’s happened and everyone’s calling it BS?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Given Sony doubled the number of machines for manufacture l don't think they are worried.

In fact l lie, they are probably worried about whether they can fulfil a deluge of pre-orders from customers that wish to enjoy a generational leap in gaming.

ZehDon

If Microsoft had to:
  • Lower the CPU Clock speeds
  • Cut GPU CU counts
  • Halve the SSD size
  • Rebuild a new form factor
  • Drop the optical media drive
  • Create alternative pricing models
All to just hit USD$299, Sony cannot deliver the PS5 at $399 by just dropping the optical media disc - not when they're pushing similar specs, with an above-PC IO pipeline and a controller riddled with microphones, speakers, and haptics. I've said it before: I don't think Sony created the DE to undercut Microsoft - I think it created the DE to compete with Microsoft because the base PS5 came out expensive. PS5$599 and PS5DE$499.

Last edited:
Top Bottom