• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source: PlayStation 5 to adjust plans in response Xbox Series X pricing

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
A source who spoke anonymously to Gamereactor, and who has an overview of the situation, confirmed yesterday that when the Xbox Series X launch details were revealed, the PlayStation 5 was "considerably" more expensive.

Such is the fast-moving nature of the business that we're already hearing reports from multiple sources that Sony has taken the decision to slash the price of the PS5 in response to the aggressive price point of the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.
We've heard that Sony is considering pricing the discless PS5 at $399 and the premium edition of the PlayStation will match the Xbox Series X with a $499 price point.

👀

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
A source who spoke anonymously to Gamereactor.....

200.gif

Your source can be anonymous but you have to mention where from to make it believable (e.g. an AAA studio, an SIE executive)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder how much they were originally going to charge, supposedly.

Last edited:

INC

If ps5 is £399........ooft

And by the looks of it ps5 will have cod exclusive content (since its all been shown on ps5), that alone is enough to sway some people

Still.........as of yet neither have a strong line up worth investing in. As it stands (being a sony customer since ps1), the xbx s with game pass/ea access is by far the better deal.

Let's see how sony respond, I can't see 499 being attractive to the masses

FunkMiller

According to ‘sources’ Sony are going to price the Ps5 at the point they probably were going to anyway, but that doesn’t get us clicks, or get impressionable people on forums to post threads about us, so here’s some rumour bullshit we made up this morning over our coco puffs!

I doubt PS5 was/is "considerably" more expensive. Seems like BS but I could see the digital edition being 399.

Neogaf.gif
i cant see $399 unless they are willing to take utterly massive losses, which they are in no position to even need to.

if the xsx is taking a loss at $499 and the ps5 has a cutting edge proprietary SSD and a super hot gpu that requires special cooling, then i seriously doubt the PS5 cost less than a xsx to build. in fact it probably cost more despite the xsx having the costlier GPU.

its clear Sony got caught off guard by the 12 tflops and redesigned the ps5 to have variable clocks just so they could close the gap on paper. this cost them a fortune and the price will reflect it

chigstoke

More chance of me single handedly colonising the entirety of Jupiter than PS5 Digital being 399, IMO.

But God damn I can’t wait to see the price and date reveal, bloody get a move on Sony for Christ’s sake.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think Sony's mindshare is such that they could price their console at $499/$599 and probably come out okay especially considering supply constraints this holiday. I don't see consoles sitting on shelves unsold until maybe sometime into 2021.

They could price it at $700/800 and there would still be scalpers selling them on ebay for over $1000 prior to Christmas.

Last edited:

skneogaf

It's a shame both weren't able to show their prices without knowing each others plan as I do think the ps5 was 599 dollars

Last edited:

Roufianos

That's bs, a disc drive doesn't cost a console manufacturer $100.

Also, no way Sony were planning on $600 so I doubt it was going to be 'significantly more expensive'.

fermcr

Sony would loose too much money if they priced the PS5 digital at 400€. Time will tell if they are willing to take the hit.

I predict:
PS5 500€ and PS5 digital 450€.
or...
PS5 550€ and PS5 digital 500€.

Last edited:

wipeout364

They will probably move the digital edition down to 499 to try to save face. I still think 599 for the premium edition.

Top Bottom