• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source: PlayStation 5 to adjust plans in response Xbox Series X pricing

Entroyp

So Cerny goes on record saying Sony has a responsibility to be cost conscious to their customers, and then plan for a $599 price tag..... Coming from a $399 PS4 Pro?

Yea, no....

Edit: Also, $399 is not feasible.. the loss per unit is too big.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
0d5.jpg

NullZ3r0

Banned
Half the people being reasonable here would be jerking off in pure fanboy fervor if this was the other way around.

With that said, the PS5 price is set and they need to message a higher price. I bet Spiderman:MM is a free download now.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Doubtful.....my bet still is $450 for digital PS5, and $499 for disk version. They have no reason to chop the digital version lower than that seeing as the systems are exactly the same spec-wise minus the bluray drive. They aren't purposely having a less powerful version and a powerful one like MS is.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
We will have to wait and see if the PS5 DE is priced at 599$. I mean Microsoft managed to nail a 499$ price point with the XSX and the PS5 is similar to it. They could price it similarly.
I wasn't claiming the DE would be $599 I was predicting the disc version would be and the DE would be $549. Just a prediction.

NickFire

For people that want to, or already have, gone full digital.
With the amount of bulk buying Sony will do for something like this, they probably get the drives for like $20 or something stupid like that. Why would the difference be $100?.
I think the back end makes them a ton on digital. Less overhead / packaging cost, and the 30% cut of sales on PSN. Not sure what they get from physical 3rd party games though.

Blond

Banned
That doesn't really matter though, I do want some fried chicken though...

It does in terms of deciding how to price consoles when you know the mass market are going to be teenagers who have time to play and parents who aren't going to spend 600 dollars for what they consider a "toy"

We aren't the majority here, there's a reason the Wii was in everyone's home.

LordOfChaos

Then Sony is going to have some financial losses that'll be harder for Sony to swallow than MS. Just like they did for the PS3 and almost went bankrupt.

The original PS3 cost something like 805 dollars to make and retailed for 599. Estimates for the PS5 are like 450 aren't they, and that for the disk version? 399 seems pretty plausible for the digital edition, sans disk drive physically as well as royalties for UHD Blu ray (yes Sony pays royalties for these, not for standard blu ray, but they do for UHD which was why it was missing in the Pro which confused some).

Then the world is different than in 2005 too. Online play was free then, it isn't now. The Digital Edition also ensures higher margin game sales, no used games, etc etc.

Andodalf

Banned
I expected it honestly. Remember, minimum wage was WAY lower when the PS4 launched. Hell, in my area Chick Fil A pays people 20 bucks to fry chicken.

Could you imagine the mad dash to get one of they did this? That's just straight up price warring at that point lol

Minimum wage is the exact same in many places

NullZ3r0

Banned
If the PS5 disc version was just the PS4 DE with a drive in it, I'd put them at around the same price. The disc version is a completely different body and will cost them more. Since Sony really wants you to buy a DE and the disc version will be in limited quantities, I'm expecting $549 and $499.

Since Sony made the decision to not support PS4 Pro and PS4 any longer, Series S is going to dominate that price range and leave Sony in a sort of a pricing purgatory.

Every decision has a consequence. With Halo Infinite, we saw the consequences of MS decision to still support older systems. Now Sony's chickens are coming home to roost. Both will have to navigate these tricky situations.

Last edited:
The original PS3 cost something like 805 dollars to make and retailed for 599. Estimates for the PS5 are like 450 aren't they, and that for the disk version? 399 seems pretty plausible for the digital edition, sans disk drive physically as well as royalties for UHD Blu ray (yes Sony pays royalties for these, not for standard blu ray, but they do for UHD which was why it was missing in the Pro which confused some).

Then the world is different than in 2005 too. Online play was free then, it isn't now. The Digital Edition also ensures higher margin game sales, no used games, etc etc.

I think many are overestimating the BOM for the PS5. It's not like it's going to be 200$ more expensive to make than the XSX.

sublimit

Banned
"A source who spoke anonymously to Gamereactor, and who has an overview of the situation, confirmed yesterday that when the Xbox Series X launch details were revealed, the PlayStation 5 was "considerably" more expensive. "

Bullshit.
There was no way Sony would have priced the PS5 more than 500$. Anyone who thinks that is either naive AF or an Xbox fanboy who wished that to be true. After the failure of the launch price of the PS3 and the success of PS4's 399$ price point there is no way Sony would have been dumb enough to price the PS5 more than 500$.

Sony has eaten the cost of their consoles many times in the past and that was in a time that was much harder to break even (you only had to rely on physical software profits). Now in an age of digital services,subscription services like PS plus and PS Now it's much more easier for them to "eat" some of the hardware costs. Playstation is the most important part of their bussiness so you can bet your ass they are going to be as competitive as they possibly can. And that means they would be willing to eat a lot more cost than ever before.

That's why i'm still betting on 399$ for physical version and 349$ for the digital version.

If i'm correct then i'm going to tag those who laughed on me and serve them some delicious crow. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Bergoglio

Bullshit.
There was no way Sony would have priced the PS5 more than 500$. Anyone who thinks that is either naive AF or an Xbox fanboy who wished that to be true. After the failure of the launch price of the PS3 and the success of PS4's 399$ price point there is no way Sony would have been dumb enough to price the PS5 more than 500$.

Sony has eaten the cost of their consoles many times in the past and that was in a time that was much harder to break even (you only had to rely on physical software profits). Now in an age of digital services,subscription services like PS plus and PS Now it's much more easier for them to "eat" some of the hardware costs.

That's why i'm still betting on 399$ for physical version and 349$ for the digital version.

If i'm correct then i'm going to tag those who laughed on me and serve them some delicious crow. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Saved for later. Can't wait to recall all gaf players on this post. ⛹️‍♂️

Top Bottom