• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound capabilities of the Sega Saturn - Does anyone know?

I love learning about the various capabilities of older hardware, especially in the sound department.

I feel like 8-bit and 16-bit hardware's been covered extensively, whereas 32-bit is still mostly unknown to many. I guess what I mean is there aren't a lot of breakdown videos like there are for 8/16-bit consoles, like this:

My understanding is the Saturn hardware did have dedicated sound chips (even a Yamaha ym something + 68000?) to 'make music', as well as obviously reading audio from CD (which most of the game music would be done with).

fart town usa fart town usa (lol) posted a link In this thread to a Panzer Dragoon Saga boss with incredible music, and I remember reading somewhere this was all done purely with the internal sound chip and is not cd audio. It sounds so punchy and bassy, like a tuned up version of the older Megadrive Yamaha sound chip.

The track on its own:

So I guess the question is, does anyone have a good understanding of how it works, and can we also have a Sega Saturn Sound Appreciation Thread :)

Thaedolus

Gold Member
All I remember is that it was more powerful than the PlayStation's.
I'm much less versed in the technical aspects of the Saturn and PlayStation sound than I am in the SNES and Genesis, but the example from PDS sounds perfectly doable on PlayStation IMO. I believe it uses samples for its MIDI in the same way the SNES did, but obviously with much improved hardware. Just listen to Chrono Cross' OST.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The music in Panzer Dragoon Saga uses Cybersound, which was wavetable synthesis software available in the 90s licensed for use in several Sega games. It was also used in Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast. When the game was ported to Gamecube, they did not use Cybersound which is why that version’s soundtrack sounds like trash.

drganon

I heard the Saturn's sound chip/processor was pretty powerful and was sometimes used for other functions via programming tricks. At least something to that effect.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I heard the Saturn's sound chip/processor was pretty powerful and was sometimes used for other functions via programming tricks. At least something to that effect.
It’s true, the sound chip was used by Camelot for Shining Force 3 to help with the game’s 3D effects. The downside was that it led to some audio glitches. They tried to get some support from Sega on trying to find out what was causing it, but they got radio silence which led to Camelot severing times with Sega after they finished the scenario trilogy.

Camelot’s solution to the audio glitch was to just “reset” the sound after every combat cutscene which was why the map music would always start from the beginning in scenario 2. Development for the Saturn was a nightmare, but anyone who knew how to code in assembly on that hardware could make it do incredible stuff. Radiant Silvergun was a prime example of maximizing the hardware’s 2D and 3D capabilities.

Drew1440

Worth looking at Sega Model 2 arcade games, since the later revisions use the exact same SCSP as the Saturn, Model 2A\B\C all used that processor.
Model 3 used two of them for it's games.

It’s true, the sound chip was used by Camelot for Shining Force 3 to help with the game’s 3D effects. The downside was that it led to some audio glitches. They tried to get some support from Sega on trying to find out what was causing it, but they got radio silence which led to Camelot severing times with Sega after they finished the scenario trilogy.

Camelot’s solution to the audio glitch was to just “reset” the sound after every combat cutscene which was why the map music would always start from the beginning in scenario 2. Development for the Saturn was a nightmare, but anyone who knew how to code in assembly on that hardware could make it do incredible stuff. Radiant Silvergun was a prime example of maximizing the hardware’s 2D and 3D capabilities.
Scavenger games could make some amazing looking games on the Saturn for that era.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Scavenger games could make some amazing looking games on the Saturn for that era.
Dude, it was so disappointing when they shuttered. Before Jesper Kyd became well known for his work on Assassin’s Creed, he put out some bangers on games like Sub Terrania. I need to listen to that soundtrack again. Incredibly talented folks.

Last edited:

Three

motherboard_marked.cbd80653580e92502199876a19647a2c8a010528aa42739c3b1d508ee303dae8.png

It wasn't any of the CPUs dealing with it. It was a custom sound processor.

https://segaretro.org/Saturn_Custom_Sound_Processor

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What people usually don’t know is that the Saturn was actually a really powerful machine. It did a lot things better than the PlayStation and could technically push more polygons. The issue came down to basically using sprites as textured surfaces. As such it rendered using quads instead of triangles. So an easy way of porting a 3D game to the Saturn was building a engine that just made one side of the quad to be 0 length so it mimics a triangle but that also means it has to deal with more vertices and edges. This method also made transparencies impossible because it would overlap pixels when drawing.

So basically it was more powerful but less effective.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Last edited:
The amount of words written on the internet to ensure that everyone understands that the Saturn was, in fact, more powerful than the Playstation is kind of hilarious at this point.

That said I just finished Magic Knight Rayearth the other day and that game has a killer soundtrack. How much of that was the hardware and how much was just the fact it was a good soundtrack I don't know.

Mitsurux

The Saturn OS had some really neat sound features when playing audio cds. You could lower the level of vocals, which worked surprisingly well, and also pitch shift the music up or down. With those features you could make just about any disc a home made karaoke track. Really interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom