• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Souls veterans: What's your final assessment of Sekiro?

Souls veterans, what is your final assessment of Sekiro?

• It was great.

Votes: 190 59.6%
  • It wasn't for me.

Votes: 64 20.1%
  • I'm kinda in the middle.

Votes: 65 20.4%

• Total voters
fantastic game but felt a bit dumbed down compared to dark souls/bloodborne. too much forgiveness and hand holding. there were one or two bullshit bosses but overall the difficulty of bosses was good. some really tough ones. shit i remember struggling with some mini bosses! i love how fast paced and fun the combat felt with lots of good prosthetic weapons and special movies. the setting and atmosphere of the game was top notch. a few of my gripes:

• you die and you get a second or even third chance (although not all the time). i know it's literally the name of the game but compared to soulsborne it sucks. you die in those games and that's it. you need to go back to the last checkpoint. in sekiro you just appear where you died.

• you can use the grapling hook to escape tight situations like jumping up on to a tree/roof whereas in soulsborne you'd get your ass handed to you for making such a stupid decision to run into a group of enemies.

• you can just spam the sword block and you'll be fine. no need for good skill/timing.

on it's own it's a brilliant game but if compared to dark souls/bloodborne it's just not as good. bloodborne still remains the GOAT From game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gameplay wise was the best from game.

As a game overall, i still prefer ds1 and bloodborne over it.

Also the exploration was not as rewarding, probably the cost of not having armours or new weapons to find, most of the mechanical arms were pretty lame.

DavidGzz

Amazing game - first time through
…. But it REALLY lacks replayability since the game lacks rpg elements

This. And people saying the gameplay is better, of course it plays more smoothly, the dev only had to take one weapon into account. I didn't even feel like finishing because of that. It got boring.

Tschumi

I don't have anywhere near the right "flavour" of free time to get good at it. Maybe 10 years ago i could have really given it a go.

Hydelol

Banned
Gameplay is great. Customization sucks. That's why I only finished it once. If Souls games only had 1 weapon and no fashion souls, I wouldn't have played them as much as I did.

Outlier

It wasn't for me. The combat was interesting, but everything else just didn't grab me.
I traded it in right after completion.

I am undecided It was a great first playthrough but got pretty lacklustre after that.

The core combat felt really satisfying but when you break it down there is barely anything there.

One combo string, one weapon, mechanical arms were often boring and often only useful in heavy context sensitive situations.

Every boss fight nearly always ends up being parry, parry, parry, dodge parry parry jump parry counter parry D blow the win. Even these bare bones mechanics get throw out the windows in some boss fights (Demon of hatred) and when you face off against multiple enemies. Then it ends up being run around them occasionally landing an attack.

Of course, the lack of build diversity just kills replicability and the exploration. Which is a shame because this is probably the best game world FROM's created since dark souls 1.

To summarise a cool experiment worth playing through once. I hope they ditch this combat system or seriously rework it for future titles.

Vangellis

Loved all the souls games. Sekiro has the best best combat by far, its amazing. Its an example of From focusing on a more singular idea for combat, but that is also the weakness. I prefer the demon/dark souls more for build diversity and playstyles options. Sekiro does have some choices in tools but they really want you to play a certain way.

Sekrio has some of my favorite boss battles in terms of just combat, owl version 2, Genichiro, and the last boss are insanely good. I remember getting to the Genichiro and thinking are they fucking nuts this is impossible?!! Then that fight literally teaches you how to play the real game, loved it. I totally get why some might dislike it, the combat demands more than demon/darks souls due to the necessity to parry and counter.

Overall though the dark souls series wins for me due to its dark horror themes and various build/play styles.

The combat mechanic is very nuanced with all the abilities and tools at your disposal. Parrying is "the right way" to play it, but there's so much more than that, the game gives you plenty of tools for you to play with you can find ways to be successful being aggresive without becoming a parrying master. It definitely makes your life easier if you learn the timing and parry, make not mistake about that.

That being said, I like Soulsborne better because of the weapon variety. You have enough variety in Sekiro to play as a Samurai/Ninja, because that's what he is, and all he can ever be.

Haggard

Banned
The World/Atmosphere is quite a step down from a Dark-Souls or BloodBorne.
The Combat feels amazing at the beginning, but once you understand that it`s just a rhythm game like guitar hero or something it gets rather boring since there is not much diversity due to the missing rpg elements/builds.

Overall, good, but nowhere near a BloodBorne...for me at least.

Last edited:

GetemMa

1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls
3. Sekiro
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Dark Souls 2

I love all these games and though I have Sekiro at #3 I probably played it the least, just because it's so intense compared to the others. Sekiro has the best enemy design From has done.

Paasei

Gameplay was great. Loved the idea that you could use the grappling hook to take a breather and get the advantage again. Really hope they implement that kind of freedom more in a new game (IP) some more. Hard ass game, but with a more open approach. Would be amazing if that is possible.

It definitely has its own unique place in their lineup of games.

I still think Bloodborne is their best title, but that will always be a matter of subjective opinions. Like I said, their different IPs are unique enough to be different.

I fucking loved it, great entry to the series. It was the most difficult game IMO, I honestly gave up on the last boss he was just too much and I couldn’t be fucked at the time. Maybe one day I’ll come back to it, I loved the stealth mechanics too, gave a lot of fun options in how you could tackle an area

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most complains I hear from you guys is why this game is not "RPG" like other Souls games, This game is an action game it never meant to be RPG. Are you telling me you guys cant enjoy a game unless its RPG?

In my opinion Sekiro the best combat in all FROM games, no matter how many weapon pervious Souls games none of them felt as good as the combat in Sekiro.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It didn't do it for me. I tried pushing through it, but it was just too far of a departure from what I really enjoy about the Souls games.

The lack of Multiplayer and PvP was also a huge loss for me. One of my favorite things about the Souls games is playing guide to newcomers in areas or invading people.

Top Bottom