• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry PS5, Xbox Series X Has Unexpectedly Become My Preferred Console

Iced Arcade

Welp enjoy your gaming real deal
1466366209-risitas24.png

15538620210303_171646_0_big.jpg

Shit ain't for me and a lot of other (i already know that gamepass fanboyz will still not get it but anyway), so again no thanks keep this thing to yourself
1466366261-risitas51.png
Fail The Simpsons GIF

I have both as well and, I, too, ignore my PS5 in favor of my Series X. For me it has the better UI, controller, and it has quick resume and Microsoft Rewards. It's just the better gaming box for me. Obviously Sony will unleash its exclusives and that is why I have a PS5 (and PC and Switch) - to make sure I don't miss out on any games. That said, if I could play all games on any one system, I would always favor the X.
Careful.... You'll be accuses of being a MS paid account.

lachesis

I keep flip-flopping. When I play XSX, I think wow.. this game pass is great - then when I'm playing my niche Japanese games on PS5 - I'm totally for PS5.

Only thing I'm looking over now is actually my Switch. Not that I don't like it - but I'm kinda holding back on playing something that's graphically intensive with lots of stutter (like Age of Calamity) till supposed "Pro"... which, honestly may or may not happen at all.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Lol so where are these PlayStation exclusives? It’s looking like Microsoft will have more exclusives this year if Sony keep delaying them to next year. I wonder if they are being delayed to allow time for a pc port 😆
It's funny that you don't think MS would be in meetings debating on delaying games for 2021

It takes between 1 and 2 seconds (real time) continuing my PS5 game from rest mode, and other games load near instantly too, so I'm not sure what "instant resume" could bring to me here. Both consoles are extremely fast on that point. I can wait one full second.
bL5PX7F.png

Does rest mode work after a full system reboot? Does rest mode work for 5 concurrently running games? Systems are fast sure but you can't skip all the splash screens in the beginning of a new game start and you're buckled to save points. I now never worry about any of these things and resume works beautifully. I can be playing a game, stop to go make dinner and have the kids start playing their game and when I get back, boom, right where I was.

Anyone who shits on instant resume has not used it.

Last edited:

pasterpl

It takes between 1 and 2 seconds (real time) continuing my PS5 game from rest mode, and other games load near instantly too, so I'm not sure what "instant resume" could bring to me here. Both consoles are extremely fast on that point. I can wait one full second.
So basically you are not able to grasp the difference between switching between games on ps5 and Xbox series quick resume.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
With all respect but lol. It has the same FPS structure from 20 years. It's like to say Demon Soul remake is as a new game because they have updated the controls and there are no more loading time
I think the point is, during the last gen people were laughing at xbox players having bc.

PlayStation players kept talking about all that matters are exclusives and new games.
While being a remake, demon's souls is pretty old.

So is halo, but xbox players aren't talking bad about classic games. It's the majority of the play station players on the other hand, which makes Demon Soul an ironic release.

How hard is it to understand that 3 year gp ultimate convert is the best gaming deal period.
I would love to play demon souls but who am I kidding I will never pay 70 dollars for it .
I mean good for people who can afford games at 70 dollars or pounds at release I just can't afford them so i just did the 3 year trick a few months back and I'm set for a long time
Of course I'll buy gta 6 when it releases but I'm never paying full price for story driven or short single player games

KingT731

It takes 3-4 years to make a good game so you should be seeing stuff soon. Psychonauts 2 is probably this year and I'm sure we'll see previews of others this year to be released in 2022. Next year is definitely the year we'll see Xbox Studios come into their own, it won't be this year.

I hope I'm wrong about Returnal, I'm just not seeing the hype across any metric to suggest it's going to sell well. I'll gladly eat crow if its sells millions.
I've been waiting on Pyschonauts 2 for 5 years lol

As for Returnal I would wait until at the very least the reviews come out but something tells me it wont review well simply due to the type of game it is lol.

How hard is it to understand that 3 year gp ultimate convert is the best gaming deal period.
I would love to play demon souls but who am I kidding I will never pay 70 dollars for it .
I mean good for people who can afford games at 70 dollars or pounds at release I just can't afford them so i just did the 3 year trick a few months back and I'm set for a long time
You are set up until you run out of your deal. Then if Microsoft raises the price, you either have to pay them, or you lose everything you got. By then, you will probably be invested in holding onto it, and MS can charge whatever they want, because they have your games hostage. This is how people get locked into digital systems.

This is ok if you don't want to own your games, but you realize you are flushing that money down the toilet effectively. If you buy a physical game, you can resell it later, often at a price quite close to market cost. That is real value, since we are talking value.

I will be able to sell my 70 dollar copy of Demon's Souls in 10 years or so whenever I want to get rid of it. But using GP, all of those games are Microsoft's, you are just temporarily renting the ability to play them. You don't own the games. You can't resell them. That money is gone. Your "great deal" in 10 years will be nothing and I will have a copy of Demon's Souls that I can sell for who knows? If I buy multiple games a year, that is hundreds maybe thousands of dollars worth of resellable media I will have accumulated. GP library can go away like that.

People keep talking about value this and value that. If you buy GP, your only value is temporary, while you play the games. It is not real lasting value.

Last edited:
You are set up until you run out of your deal. Then if Microsoft raises the price, you either have to pay them, or you lose everything you got. By then, you will probably be invested in holding onto it, and MS can charge whatever they want, because they have your games hostage. This is how people get locked into digital systems.

This is ok if you don't want to own your games, but you realize you are flushing that money down the toilet effectively. If you buy a physical game, you can resell it later, often at a price quite close to market cost. That is real value, since we are talking value.

I will be able to sell my 70 dollar copy of Demon's Souls in 10 years or so whenever I want to get rid of it. But using GP, all of those games are Microsoft's, you are just temporarily renting the ability to play them. You don't own the games. You can't resell them. That money is gone. Your "great deal" in 10 years will be nothing and I will have a copy of Demon's Souls that I can sell for who knows? If I buy multiple games a year, that is hundreds maybe thousands of dollars worth of resellable media I will have accumulated. GP library can go away like that.

People keep talking about value this and value that. If you buy GP, your only value is temporary, while you play the games. It is not real lasting value.
This is literally argument just for the sake of argument ,
Let me tell you about the value I got for 120 dollars which is not even 2 next gen games
Forza horizon 4
Ori
Gears 4 /5
Dirt 5
All the halos
Jedi fallen order
Rdr
Gta 5
Witcher 3
Dooms
Just to name a few
So tell me again where is the value ? Playing all these games or giving a flying fuck about selling my demon souls copy in 10 years

I think the point is, during the last gen people were laughing at xbox players having bc.

PlayStation players kept talking about all that matters are exclusives and new games.
While being a remake, demon's souls is pretty old.

So is halo, but xbox players aren't talking bad about classic games. It's the majority of the play station players on the other hand, which makes Demon Soul an ironic release.
Yeah a remake made from the ground up with current gen tech is not at all the same as ports or remasters.

So the only irony are those who want to downplay the game.

But yeah of course Xbox fans talk up old games. MS first party hardly has actual releases.

GHG

Gold Member
This is literally argument just for the sake of argument ,
Let me tell you about the value I got for 120 dollars which is not even 2 next gen games
Forza horizon 4
Ori
Gears 4 /5
Dirt 5
All the halos
Jedi fallen order
Rdr
Gta 5
Witcher 3
Dooms
Just to name a few
So tell me again where is the value ? Playing all these games or giving a flying fuck about selling my demon souls copy in 10 years

You treat games as fully disposable. That's ok.

Not everyone else shares the same sentiment so won't perceive as much value in a subscription service like gamepass.

What will be telling is whether it (and other subscription services) can capture the mass market in the same way that the likes of Netflix and Spotify have for other forms of media. There's also the question of whether an increased focus on selling subscription services will have an impact on the quality/style of games long term but thankfully we are still quite a while away from having to worry about that (I hope and think).

Side note - why would you wait 10 years to sell a game if you're going to sell it? Any logical individual would do so as soon as you're done with it to minimise depreciation. If you need to exaggerate to make a point then it likely isn't a point worth making.

Maybe you live in a different country but in the US the only games that retain value are Nintendo titles. Sony and MS games most definitely do not. Case in point, LoU2 can net you 15 in credit at GameStop. Ghosts gets you 20. Looking at people selling those games, they want $20-30 for them.

Value is subjective. I value my time, not physical discs. GamePass or PSNow is no different than buying a digital game. For the $70 I could spend on Demons Souls and then resell it for $8 in ten years, I could get two years of GamePass. Now to me that’s a great deal, the amount of use I’ll get out of the games on the service vastly outweigh an investment into Demons Souls. To you maybe it’s not a good deal. Personally I don’t get any more enjoyment out of a game just because it’s a physical disc that I own.

Also why do people always downplay GamePass talking about illogical hypotheticals that wouldn’t make any sense for MS to act on? So they’re going to jack up the price substantially, we’ve also heard they’re going to stop making AAA games, they’re also apparently going to just push out tons of shit games just to have content. Why would anyone subscribe to this service? 😆

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah a remake made from the ground up with current gen tech is not at all the same as ports or remasters.

So the only irony are those who want to downplay the game.

But yeah of course Xbox fans talk up old games. MS first party hardly has actual releases.
Its still a remake of a ten year old game.
It doesn't make the game by any means. It's just still an old game under a new coat.

You are still getting excited over places you've been hundreds of times before. Because it's still the same map layout, same monsters, same bosses. Just in 4k and better graphics.

For someone who says people keep downplaying something - which no one does - you seem pretty hostile.

So hostile, that the point goes over your head. Thinking in absolutes.

"if you question or don't enjoy demon's souls or the PS5 then you must be a xbox fanboy".

"either youre with me or against me" mentality.

Anyway, just tried to get his point through. I'm in neither camp so I'm gonna fade away again

I don't get this argument. I play games for fun. What is the point of having a physical copy of the game for 10 years? Are you going to go back and play the game over and over? I have found this is extremely rare for me. There are only a few games I've gone back around for, and usually by the time I play again the digital copy is insanely cheap. I had loads of physical PS3 and 360 games and I finally decided to sell most of them this year as I was getting ready to buy the Series X. Sold around 150 pristine boxed games and couldn't believe how little they were worth. Got like $800 or so when it was all said and done, and it took forever to sell all of them. Been selling my PS4 and Xbox One games as well, and I'm trying to get more for them, but you can't even sell most for $10 anymore. I've noticed that games that have digital copies are not holding their value at all. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the arguments for physical copies are getting worse and worse all the time.

I have decided that I will play the games I want. If its a new game I really want then I will buy the physical copy, play it, and sell it ASAP so it doesn't lose so much value. If it wasn't a must have game, but something I still want to play (and AC or Farcry game for example) then I will wait until I can buy the digital for $5-10 and buy then. If it is on Gamepass, that's even better. I can play without worrying about cost.

Its still a remake of a ten year old game.
It doesn't make the game by any means. It's just still an old game under a new coat.

You are still getting excited over places you've been hundreds of times before. Because it's still the same map layout, same monsters, same bosses. Just in 4k and better graphics.

For someone who says people keep downplaying something - which no one does - you seem pretty hostile.

So hostile, that the point goes over your head. Thinking in absolutes.

"if you question or don't enjoy demon's souls or the PS5 then you must be a xbox fanboy".

"either youre with me or against me" mentality.

Anyway, just tried to get his point through. I'm in neither camp so I'm gonna fade away again
No it’s a new game. It being a 1 : 1 remake doesn’t change the fact that it’s not using any code or assets from the original and the production was that of a new game.

No ones downplaying? Trying to claim Demon Souls isn’t a worthwhile exclusive because it’s “an old game” is the downplaying and it’s going on in your post and others.

Hostile? Eh no, I gave my opinion on why the article was pointless. I don’t care if you like Xbox or whatever.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I have PSNOW and PLUS. I tend to lean digital on most things, except for system defining games.

PSNOW allows me to play some gems I never would have. I've found a lot of value through those digital services.

Looking down the road I want to have a system like my PS1, 2, and 3, and the games that defined that era. After a certain point the only place to get that is off your shelf.

That's just me though.

I don't blame the author. Xbox series X is the best console of this new generation so far. Everything just works. MS has put out an outstanding system with so many features ready out the door on day one. And the system keeps getting better with game pass. Game pass has been extraordinary. Series X continues to be the best place to with the best performance.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

RGB'D

Xbox is losing market share to PS in the US at an alarming rate.
Or maybe the consoles released in November and both consoles are lacking in new content. Because of that dirth of shiny new releases, a service like gamepass shines through. Even without premier drops like halo/forza/etc., there is a fantastic backlog in gamepass and some new AA drops that are really good gets. It's more likely that people with both consoles are favoring their Series X currently because of gamepass than their PS5. I have both and after completing Miles/Astrobot/and finishing Ghost of Tsushima I haven't booted up my PS5 other than to claim Ps+ games. I know that will change eventually (maybe even with returnal if ilI can convince myself it's worth spending 70$ on) but it's hard to deny that Series X is a way better prospect currently because of gamepass. Quick resume/Auto HDR help out as well.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Jim Ryan said they're working on their own version of GamePass. And when it arrives the narrative about GamePass will immediately change.
Even if they change PS Now or create another Game Pass clone and it is everything Game Pass is my view will stay the same. Great service but not magical.

I've had Xbox Live since 2007, but the rise in its annual cost has soured me quite a bit on the xbox brand as a whole. Games Pass isnt something that interests me.
I envy the free online service that Sony offers.

Karuyag

I think the reason people accuse the Xbox 'i love it and im moving from Sony' threads as PR is cuz they pop up so much. Literally new threads every week talking about the same thing praising the console, which also ends up baiting the Sony folks.

I for one get a little tired of the same opinion threads popping up ad nauseum.

My suggestion: Consolidate all these into one thread. One for MS, one for Sony. That way the console simping can be all in their respective places.

Last edited:

djjinx2

I have PSNOW and PLUS. I tend to lean digital on most things, except for system defining games.

PSNOW allows me to play some gems I never would have. I've found a lot of value through those digital services.

Looking down the road I want to have a system like my PS1, 2, and 3, and the games that defined that era. After a certain point the only place to get that is off your shelf.

That's just me though.

Not entirely true when emulation is a thing. Play your PlayStation games on Xbox is a thing lol.

Top Bottom