• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry PS5, Xbox Series X Has Unexpectedly Become My Preferred Console

SNG32

This is true but not everyone wants to hassle with PC gaming. Console gamers are console gamers for a reason. Steam is great but it still isn't as "plug and play" as a console. That and the fact that you can't get a compact PC tower that is as powerful as the XSX for anywhere near the same price. That's why I'm waiting to upgrade. I'll upgrade my PC late this year or early next year to double dip on Elden Ring and to play the awesome mods that will come for it down the road but I'm ok with the extra steps that PC gaming plus mods entails.

I can understand that but if someone has a 3060 or 3080 that are into PC gaming then there is no need. For the average consumer that gets their gaming experience from consoles alone then I can see why they would want an Xbox. But PC is the ultra hardcore gaming platform. I just bought a 3070 laptop and that's like having a portable PS5 and Series X.

sainraja

If you want to misrepresent what I said to fullfil your agenda, that's on you.

My point still stands: right now next gen has almost no next gen games and therefore what becomes more important to me and to a lot of people is retrocompatibility, which is an aspect in which the Xbox Series X is clearly better than the PS5. Especially if you add the wonderful gamepass.

Nobody said I was buying the Xbox Series X just to play old games, but just like with the PS5, we are waiting for the good next gen games to come. And meanwhile, retrocompatibility makes the Xbox Series X more attractive than the PS5 right now to a lot of people that don't care that much about Morales DLC or Demon's Souls remake.

But the games being pointed to when it comes to 'retrocompatibility' are games from the last generation, where the PS5 isn't lacking. The PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 games. Someone with the PS5 can still access games from the last generation and enjoy those while they wait for other releases and we shouldn't pretend that they don't have access to older games via PS collection and PS Now. There are options for everyone regardless of which box they call their home.

The key difference is focus. Microsoft is focused on game pass and expanding it. Sony's put their foot in that door but they haven't fully committed (PS Now does have downloadable games and BC to PS3 via streaming), their focus is on (and I hate saying this) is AAA content for the PS5 that makes the system stand out and offer something different.

Where I personally stand:
I have a XSX right now but I haven't really played anything on it outside of Destiny 2. Game Pass is a good option to have but I did have an Xbox One/Xbox One X last generation and so far my experience with XSX is pretty much the same. Nothing new, but just more shinier!

The point that I am trying to make here is that people aren't lacking anything from last gen if they go with the PS5 and we should put that argument to rest (we can go back and forth on the level of investment but the options are there). What it comes down to at this point of time is, are you looking to play games that you missed out on last generation with the XSX or do you want to play Demon Souls and the new Spiderman game?

People who are already invested in a single system will most likely stick with that system. Ecosystem that you invested in last gen will be a lot more important this time around.

My point still stands: right now next gen has almost no next gen games and therefore what becomes more important to me and to a lot of people is retrocompatibility, which is an aspect in which the Xbox Series X is clearly better than the PS5. Especially if you add the wonderful gamepass.

I think this statement here is a blanket statement where you are trying to speak for everyone. Objectively, with the way things are right now, there are more exclusives on the PS5 compared to the XSX. You might not be interested in those but it doesn't negate that fact. Every generation there are transitional games and few next gen only games. This time has been no different so to discount the games that are transitional is a bit silly. PS5 does have a fair variety across the spectrum.

And as far as I am aware when it comes to Xbox BC (X360/Xbox Original), they haven't been adding anymore titles to it. So perhaps they are not as focused on it either! They suspended it until further notice so I am wondering if they have started it back up now that the Series X has released, anyone know what they have added since XSX's release?

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Blog Reporter GIF by Leroy Patterson

Three

A rogue mod mass-banned a ton of users claiming them "astroturfers" when their only crime was not buying a PS4.
Not sure which incident you are referring to but I'm referring to the confirmed social agency email addresses back at launch day. There was also an incident where a user who continously trolled GT was outed to be a turn 10 employee by the controversial detective GAF with clear evidence.

This is all off topic even if I think there is little to discuss about an article of somebody using their XSX more. All I'm saying is that any skepticism is only based on past reputation and fluff clickbait articles and not simply because "its positive xbox news". There are only a few times you can get away with paid posters, shrunken bar charts, or your funded news outlet giving a single game on your platform a higher score only at launch and not subsequent games before people skeptically question even genuine articles based on past perception and reputation. If Nintendo or Sony had built such a reputation and there were similar clickbait articles there would be the exact same reaction. We can even check, if you can find any similar news articles that is.

Last edited:

Interfectum

The series X from a hrdware pov is the best console ever made. Its so quiet and powerful. Everything just works. I just wished they updated the achievment system.
Maybe it's best if they leave it alone. I think the PS5 UI completely destroyed the trophy system for me.

1) You have to view your trophies through large horizontal boxes now.
2) No activity feed on PS5 so no one even sees you got a trophy unless they click in 3-4 times to see your profile (which no one will do).
3) No cool monthly competitions or easy to see list of trophies you are just about to get like on the Xbox UI.
4) Friends and friend's trophies are totally buried in the UI making them almost irrelevant.
5) It doesn't save what you want to sort trophies by, like on PS4. I always sort by rarity but PS5 never saves that default.
6) To see a vertical list you have to compare with a friend to get a glimpse of how it was on PS4.

Literally the only thing trophies have going for them now is they have a platinum trophy and it now keeps tabs on your progression (something Xbox already did).

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Xbox and Game Pass fans must really feel insecure with their choice if they need to do an astroturfing / ad article every single day.

Good things don't need us to be reminded constantly they're good, it just shows. Sony has all the best exclusives - competing and winning game of the year every single year - and it won't change anytime soon. Ratchet, Returnal and Horizon are coming soon, after Miles Morales, Demon's Souls remake (a true next gen masterpiece), Astro and Sackboy. Not bad for a start.

A console is only as good as its games, and right now Series X has a grand total of zero exclusive. Then again, it doesn't even have the performance advantage either, so I have trouble seeing what's attractive about it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Maybe it's best if they leave it alone. I think the PS5 UI completely destroyed the trophy system for me.

2) No activity feed on PS5 so no one even sees you got a trophy unless they click in 3-4 times to see your profile (which no one will do).
3) No cool monthly competitions or easy to see list of trophies you are just about to get like on the Xbox UI.
4) Friends and friend's trophies are totally buried in the UI making them almost irrelevant.
5) It doesn't save what you want to sort trophies by, like on PS4. I always sort by rarity but PS5 never saves that default.
6) To see a vertical list you have to compare with a friend to get a glimpse of how it was on PS4.

Literally the only thing trophies have going for them now is they have a platinum trophy and it now keeps tabs on your progression (something Xbox already did).

The PS5 social situation as a whole is terrible.

Interfectum

Xbox and Game Pass fans must really feel insecure with their choice if they need to do an astroturfing / ad article every single day.

Good things don't need to be reminded constantly they're good, it just shows. Sony has all the best exclusives - competing and winning game of the year every single year - and it won't change anytime soon. Ratchet, Returnal and Horizon are coming soon, after Miles Morales, Demon's Souls remake (a true next gen masterpiece) and Sackboy.

A console is only as good as its games, and right now Series X has a grand total of zero exclusive. Then again, it doesn't even have the performance advantage either.
Seems you and your ilk are pretty insecure if you feel the need to downplay these threads and claim they are astroturfing, no?

Krisprolls

Banned
Seems you and your ilk are pretty insecure if you feel the need to downplay these threads and claim they are astroturfing, no?

There's a thread like that every day, it's been like 100 threads, it's a bit boring on the long run, it's polluting the forum. Let's talk about games instead. Microsoft has enough money to make ads for its console without your efforts. You're not even paid (well, I think some of you are, it looks too much like astroturfing sometimes).

We get it boys, you like your Series X for some reason and Game Pass. Most people prefer Playstation and Sony games though. There, we said all that there was to be said about that, now we can move on.

Last edited:

Concern

This is what I'll never understand. Why remove things that worked so well? All Ps3 updates were gone on Ps4 and now it sounds like its the same on Ps5.

Interfectum

There's a thread like that every day, it's been like 100 threads, it's a bit boring on the long run, it's polluting the forum. Let's talk about games instead. Microsoft has enough money to make ads for its console without your efforts. You're not even paid (well, I think some of you are, it looks too much like astroturfing sometimes).

We get it boys, you like your Series X for some reason and Game Pass. Most people prefer Playstation though. There, we said all that there was to be said about that, now we can move on.
It's no different than you masturbating over a $70 roguelike or another Ratchet and Clank game. What happens when you no longer have the 'bu bu bu exclusives' argument?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

We get it boys, you like your Series X for some reason and Game Pass. Most people prefer Playstation and Sony games though. There, we said all that there was to be said about that, now we can move on.
AWTJ1SL.png

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Xbox doesn't have any good games right now that the PS5 can't play. The entire marketing campaign of Xbox revolved around significantly superior performance. But in 8/10 games, PS5 outperforms XSX.

So no exclusive games + worse third-party performance? I don't see any reason for buying this console -- not until some actually good games drop that I can't play anywhere else.

Interfectum

This is what I'll never understand. Why remove things that worked so well? All Ps3 updates were gone on Ps4 and now it sounds like its the same on Ps5.
Change for the sake of change it seems like.

I also don't like how the interactive game cards are mixed in with trophy cards and game related cards. It feels very cluttered.

Krisprolls

Banned
What happens when you no longer have the 'bu bu bu exclusives' argument?

I can't know because we've been waiting for 20 years for MS to actually compete on that side. Too bad games are the most important thing on a game console, because if it was about technical buzzwords, false promises and empty astroturfing articles, MS definitely wouldn't be last place.

Then again, even outside of exclusive games, PS5 seems to perform slightly better than Series X right now, so I guess it would do well as a multiplatform only console too, even without its exclusives.

Last edited:
I can't know because we've been waiting for 20 years for MS to actually compete on that side. Too bad games are the most important thing on a game console, because if it was about technical buzzwords, false promises and empty astroturfing articles, MS definitely wouldn't be last place.

Then again, even outside of exclusive games, PS5 seems to perform slightly better than Series X right now, so I guess it would do well as a multiplatform only console too, even without its exclusives.
Typing out all those words really isn't necessary when the title under your username exists. Seriously, what's the point besides wasting time?

On Demand

Banned
All these typical-usual new generation clickbait articles. Clearly they’re making the wrong choice, and are wrong overall, going by popularity and sales.

Great, you prefer SX over PS5. No need to keep shouting into a void about it.

Except to please yourself.

DESTROYA

Yo Krisprolls Krisprolls where did you get that quote from ?
Serious question because that’s not usually something I would post especially on this particular subject, not a fan of people writing up fake qoutes of me . Some people might get the wrong impression

Last edited:

Loope

Good things don't need us to be reminded constantly they're good, it just shows. Sony has all the best exclusives - competing and winning game of the year every single year - and it won't change anytime soon. Ratchet, Returnal and Horizon are coming soon, after Miles Morales, Demon's Souls remake (a true next gen masterpiece), Astro and Sackboy. Not bad for a start.

A console is only as good as its games, and right now Series X has a grand total of zero exclusive. Then again, it doesn't even have the performance advantage either, so I have trouble seeing what's attractive about it.
Perhaps.What do you think about Sony PSP?

OP's article is insane. PC + PS5 + Switch is the supreme gentlemen's pick for the 2020's.

And Cherry Sonoshee is right. Gamepass does not have the same OMG WOW value if you're an adult with a job and you're not some /r/patientgaming NEET.
Absolutely not true, as an adult with a very well paying job I've gotten tons of value from gamepass. Having a job does not preclude you from finding value in the service, that's just insane. I've played and enjoyed many games I otherwise would have missed out on and my kids get to enjoy more content as well since I am not paying for those games.

I have both as well and, I, too, ignore my PS5 in favor of my Series X. For me it has the better UI, controller, and it has quick resume and Microsoft Rewards. It's just the better gaming box for me. Obviously Sony will unleash its exclusives and that is why I have a PS5 (and PC and Switch) - to make sure I don't miss out on any games. That said, if I could play all games on any one system, I would always favor the X.

On Demand

Banned
Let people play what they like. Don't bully them into playing something because it wins SalesAge.

I never said that? There’s nothing wrong with preferring one console over another. I said so as much in the post you quoted.

These articles always come up at the beginning of the generation and seems it’s always about Xbox. As if they’re trying to justify their opinion.

My point is no matter how many articles there are, and gets posted and talked about. Reality paints a different picture. You like what you like. Cool.

Last edited:

ManaByte

These articles always come up at the beginning of the generation and seems it’s always about Xbox.

The reason they happened at the beginning of the last generation because, like it or not, the Xbox 360 was the dominant console in the US in the previous generation and back in 2013 the websites were pandering to what they believed would still be the user base that would deliver them the most ad-based revenue. That only lasted a short while until they realized that the PS4 would be the dominant system.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
PS5 objectively has the better game lineup thus far and it's not even close with more games coming in the next few months. Returnal is releasing next month

It's like some believe that if they keep saying they're both the same that it'll become true

Brute

I've had both since launch and I can't stop playing the Series X. It has replaced my gaming on PC now.

I've played the PS5 a few times - it's a good version of a PlayStation. I enjoyed Miles Morales although I'm glad it was short as if it went on any longer I don't think I'd have stuck with it.

Looking forward to playing Final Fantasy VII Remake with the new PS5 patch at some point. I've owned the game for ages but still haven't got round to starting it.

But the Series X 'wins' the next-gen category for me right now. I prefer the controller, Gamepass, the design of it, how powerful it is considering the price and I'm also enjoying being able to use the Play Anywhere feature.

And I hate the PS5 UI. It sucks.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
The reason they happened at the beginning of the last generation because, like it or not, the Xbox 360 was the dominant console in the US in the previous generation and back in 2013 the websites were pandering to what they believed would still be the user base that would deliver them the most ad-based revenue. That only lasted a short while until they realized that the PS4 would be the dominant system.

Going by some articles and discussions online that habit hasn’t changed. PlayStation isn’t some small one off brand. It wasn’t true past generations and it definitely isn’t true now.

Just like the console you like and that’s it. No need to make an essay on why SX gave you a revelation suddenly. It’s always the same talking points too.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Other than Gamepass what's better on Series X. Not everyone fits into that Gamepass model. Takes me half a year to finish 1 or 2 games as I got a wife and kid and work so Gamepass isn't suitable for me.

It's basically down to PS5 exclusives Vs Series X exclusives. For me personally I'm more into the PS5 exclusives. The graphical diffence is too small for me to care about. If there are any Series X exclusives that I really really want to play I may sub to Gamepass and stream the game. But so far nothing really interests me in terms of exclusives in fact I barely have time to even play every decnet PS5 exclusive and multiplaform games. As I don't play many games the few I play have to be must plays for me so things like God of War, Final Fantasy 7, etc are must plays for me. Between PS5 and Switch games I don't think I have time to play every game that is good.

OP's article is insane. PC + PS5 + Switch is the supreme gentlemen's pick for the 2020's.

And Cherry Sonoshee is right. Gamepass does not have the same OMG WOW value if you're an adult with a job and you're not some /r/patientgaming NEET.
I find the opposite to be true. As an adult with kids and a full time job, I typically know less and less about all the games releasing than I did as a teenager/young adult with less time restraints. It also means I would typically chance less and less with random games because my time was too valuable to waste on some game I might buy and not like. To solve that, I was using services like GameFly. Which is nice, but the turnaround on games can be over a week at times.

Thanks to GamePass I can browse the store on my console in the morning, pick out a game or two to download if I want, and play them when I get home. Or if I read here about a game being added, queue it from my app on my phone. And because it's so easy to try new games, I've played a ton of shit I normally wouldn't have even considered. Gems like Plague Tale, Outer Wilds, Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, Frostpunk, Celeste, Children of Morta, Killer Queen Black, Cyber Shadow, Void Bastards, among many others I am forgetting. That's not including games that are bigger and more well known before releasing on GamePass. I was able to play through the entire Halo collection, including Wars. The entire Gears collection, including Tactics. Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Gears 5, Horizon 4, Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds, State of Decay 2, Ori and Ori 2, Cuphead. Some of these I bought day one and would have played without GamePass. Some of them I only played because of GamePass. I enjoyed all of them greatly, less so with SoT. But the others are all fantastic. Now there's plenty of more fantastic AAA content on it. I own Star Wars on disc but it's on GamePass now and upgraded for next gen, hell yeah I installed it and added it to the backlog as I never finished it.

He was right when he said if he wants a game he'll buy it and not wait for it to hit GamePass. And I'm the same way. Hellblade, GTA, RDR2, Madden, Nier, many others hit GamePass but I already owned them. And thats fine. If there's a big game I want and its not on GamePass, I just buy it. That's not a negative towards GamePass. I subscribe to Netflix but I'll still go to a theater or rent a title. It's not really meant to be the sole access to games for everyone.

Regarding this article, I am an Xbox guy and even I can easily say it looks cringey and comes off as paid. That said, why are some PS guys whining that there are loads of these threads nowadays? I can only think of one other one recently and that was the $70 PS5 games thread but that one is well written. Are we back to the same point we were last gen where any positive talk of Xbox must be the result of paid marketing? No offense but I've never seen a group of people as petty and emotional as the GAF Playstation crowd. Like, Jeebus people. Your console sells 100 million plus pretty much by default, you've got all these incredible games you're always gloating about and blah blah blah, yet an article like this ruffles the feathers so much. It's pathetic. Game discussion here is a joke.

SSfox

Anger: The post
Consoles are a investment you make while also thinking about what will come in the future. Ms as right now have more than double the First party team than Sony, do you think they won't release exclusives?, I would like to say that for somebody who is on a enthusiast gaming forum you seem quite ignorant and very not in touch on what's going on in the industry (bethesda acquisition say hi).

Bonus level : Gamepass is the real deal in the gaming right now
How tho?

Gamepass is good for those who don't care about being dictate what to play, or don't necessarily know what to play, or something.

And i know for fact that the 10 to 20 games i look forward that are coming in 2021-2022 are not gonna be on gamepass, so this thing is absolute worthless for me, i'm not gonna pay 100$ per year for random games that 90% are shit and the other 10% are great games but that i already played/own, without even mentioning that when i buy a game it means i want it and love it, so i want to own it, SOR4 was on gamepass day one, it's the rare case or actually the only case where a game i was interested in came in gamepass day one, but then again it was rent, and it's a 25 bucks game, and those who knows well know that SOR4 is that kind of game that somebody must own, this kind of game is more than a game, it's treasure, and goes same for a lot of other games. Games are art, not fast food. (in my opinion at least)

Another thing is with 100 bucks i can buy 10 to 20 games on sold of "my" choice", that i will "own forever".

Also Gamepass fanboyz for some reason aren't capable to do something, something that isn't even that hard technically, when you speak, speak for yourself not for other people. If you think gamepass is a real deal that's fine and cool for you, but don't speak for others because it will make you even less relevant than you already are.

Last edited:

Sushen

To me, the instant resume feature that works even when I turn off the system is a game cnanger. It became really hard to live without it.

I use gamepass as a glorified demo scheme that let me play it first and buys me time to wait for price drops if I want to keep them. That overall let me save money and regret.

Last edited:
Top Bottom