• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry PS5, Xbox Series X Has Unexpectedly Become My Preferred Console

skafoqysphjfhzptix4w.jpg

I started this new generation of game consoles with the expectation that I would be playing most games on the PS5, like how I played most stuff on PS4 last gen. But nearly five months later, I’m spending most of my time on the Xbox Series X and now I feel bad, like I’m ignoring my PS5.

I was lucky enough to snag both new machines at launch. I didn’t use any special connections or industry contacts to get them. I just had a lot of tabs opened and began the hunt for consoles the moment preorders went live. At the time, I mainly got the Xbox Series X because I knew I would want to play Halo and a few other Microsoft exclusives. Besides, for the first time in my life, I had saved up money to buy both new consoles at launch. So why not buy both if I had the chance?

After both machines arrived in November, I mostly played the PS5. I got Godfall and Miles Morales. I beat Astro’s Playroom. I downloaded and played PS4 games like GTA Online and Red Dead Online. I had a good time. But over the last few months, things have changed.

It’s always the same thing with these articles.

Gamepass is so great....except I’m not interested in waiting to play my games. I’m happy the Yakzua series and Zodiac Age are on Gamepass. I on the other hand played them years ago. Gamepass is useless to me as an enthusiast gamer as I’m not waiting for Final Fantasy XX or Devil May Cry 6 to come to it months or years later. Yeah, it’s nice that first-party titles do, but MS first party is so mediocre so I don't care.

Nice that Gears 5 carried over and looks great on Series X. I played it like two years ago when it came out and don’t have time to revisit it. Why? Because I had actual Playstation exclusives to play or the various somewhat multi-platform Japanese titles that skip xbox. It’s pretty shitty to me that the best thing that has shown off the Series X hardware is a year-old game and its DLC.

At the end of the day, the games I actually want to play are on Playstation and MS hasn;t proven anything to me otherwise.

intbal

Man I SOO want to play Horizon 4 (and 3 for that matter) I’m toying with the idea of grabbing a series S...
If you're eager to play FH3 (the superior game), you should stick with the PC version. It's locked to 30fps on console.
Although maybe MS's FPS Boost tech can fix that.

AetherZX

This has been the case for me as well. I’ve been playing tons of games I otherwise have been on the fence with or wouldn’t buy short of a deep sale.

Mind you, I only recently got a Series X, so it could be new toy syndrome, but I don’t see myself pivoting back to PS5 as my main console unless there’s suddenly a surge of exclusives I’m interested in.

MacReady13

Gamepass is so great....except I’m not interested in waiting to play my games. I’m happy the Yakzua series and Zodiac Age are on Gamepass. I on the other hand played them years ago. Gamepass is useless to me as an enthusiast gamer as I’m not waiting for Final Fantasy XX or Devil May Cry 6 to come to it months or years later. Yeah, it’s nice that first-party titles do, but MS first party is so mediocre so I don't care.

Nice that Gears 5 carried over and looks great on Series X. I played it like two years ago when it came out and don’t have time to revisit it. Why? Because I had actual Playstation exclusives to play or the various somewhat multi-platform Japanese titles that skip xbox. It’s pretty shitty to me that the best thing that has shown off the Series X hardware is a year-old game and its DLC.

At the end of the day, the games I actually want to play are on Playstation and MS hasn;t proven anything to me otherwise.
Spot fucking on.

Oh cool, a Kotaku article. Can't wait to not click it.
I know right they kind of are the worst. I mean I much rather read this

But for reals I love my PS5, I knew there were no games coming out for months but I wanted to play improved versions of the games I already have. I definitely will get an Xbox when they release that Bethesda edition

TheAssist

Is this a site about gaming journalism or more like a blog for personal feelings from people who play video games?

Seems like everyday I see a new thread about why some "journalist" prefers one console over the other. Who cares? Do they need to fill their quota, is there nothing interesting to report on?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
This is the first gen I got Xbox over Ps. Got the ps1-4 on launch but I’m in no rush for PS5. I’ll pick it up in a couple years when there are more games, a hardware revision, and price drop.

Xbox is the better console. Yeah tHeRe aRe NO GaMes!! But same for ps5. And the Sony exclusives don’t interest me any more. There are loads of Microsoft exclusives coming that I wanna play.

i know that will upset many people on this forum but whatever. Microsoft are doing a great job. They learned a lot from last gen.

keram

I don't relize why people still arguing with XSX when they actually mean Xbox GamePass.
XSX is a console, Xbox GamePass is a Service available on PC, XBO, XSX, XSS and Android.
Maybe becasue of the "Xbox" in the GP name?

This is the first gen I got Xbox over Ps. Got the ps1-4 on launch but I’m in no rush for PS5. I’ll pick it up in a couple years when there are more games, a hardware revision, and price drop.

Xbox is the better console. Yeah tHeRe aRe NO GaMes!! But same for ps5. And the Sony exclusives don’t interest me any more. There are loads of Microsoft exclusives coming that I wanna play.

i know that will upset many people on this forum but whatever. Microsoft are doing a great job. They learned a lot from last gen.

Why should you care if others will be upset with your personal choice?
btw. you are saying you bought it becasue "they will deliver in future", although now there are no (few) "next-gen" games, same as on PS5, but only MS is doing a great job?
On what? BC? Setting great expectations for the future? So let's hope they can measure up to these expectations ;)

Last edited:

Fredrik

I have both, right now the ps5 is definately getting less use. But I do expect over time, there will be periods where one machine gets heavy use and the other gets a lot less attention. That's why it's so important to own both if you love games.
This is why it’s better to just step back and wait. Great games will arrive on both later on but right now there is no rush to get either one. I only have XSX and it’s a real nice and quiet living room box but as of right now I’ve gone back to mostly play on PC, for the most part I just use the console when I game with the kids.

I suspect XSX will be a great console later on though when the 1st party studios start releasing their games.

That goes for PS5 as well but I’ve decided to wait until they’ve solved the storage space issue there. Once there are more 1st party games that tiny SSD will fill up in no time, I’ve already filled up 1TB internal and 1TB expansion on XSX after 3 months.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
I'm sorry Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo but bjj has become my favourite hobby now.

Fuck these fucken people, such pathetic dribble articles of nonsense. Who gives a fuck what you like to eat or masturbate to. I don't care. Enjoy it, stop trying to make a mound out of a molehill about it and shut the fuck up.

You like Broccoli? That's nice.

Nothing wrong with GamePass.
Nothing wrong with PS Library.

Each platform has its own strength and weaknesses.

Go where you want to play and let that be the end of it. If you're happy on PS, awesome.
If you're happy on Xbox, awesome.

If you're a miserable fuck who can care for nothing other than coming into this thread to shit on either, then kindly fuck off.

Both offer something for everyone so there should be no reason to moan and bitch about either platform.

Edit: Who am I kidding. Have at it boys !!!
748616.jpg

Last edited:

Ehh Microsoft 1st party mediocre is far from mediocre. I guess it depends what you prefer. Sea of Thieves, Gears 5, MMC and both of the Ori games are fantastic titles and of course Forza Horizon 4, best racer in the entire previous gen. Different games that do different things, if you prefer multiplayer Xbox is better, Single Player is more for Sony. Thankfully MS studios are investing in more Single Player games as well, so I am looking forward to that. Sony needs to pick it up on the Multiplayer end imo. and yes I did game on PS4 more as well rather than Xbox One in the last 7-8 years.

Honestly, both consoles needed a delay till end of this year, nothing to play on either unless you have a huge backlog (such as me). After the release of Bloodborne and God of War for me there was on PS4 for me really except maybe for FF7 Remake. TLOU 2 was good but not my favorite.

Dr Bass

The similarities in articles like this cropping up hint strongly towards MS doing some content marketing outreach here. The idea that multiple outlets are sourcing Playstation’s stronger library as a reason to “switch” to Xbox is patently absurd, and the idea that this would be a coincidence doesn’t stand up to even mild scrutiny.

Fitzchiv

Oh for fuck sake, for a group of gamers who've aligned themselves to one of the most successful consoles in history from the previous gen, produced by one of the most successful brands in history in Sony, you aren't half sensitive fuckers.

The guy plays his Xbox more than his PS5 at the moment: big deal, it's not an Illuminati Aztec Microsoft Mandela Effect Media Conspiracy its just someone with a reason to play one console over another.

My absolute favourite quote in this thread is "as an enthusiast gamer" - whilst explaining that waiting for titles to come to Gamepass is dumb and rubbish. Remind me fella, what exactly are you playing on your PS5 at the moment? Or are you waiting for something to come out like the rest of us...🤡

Top Bottom