• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Q2 FY Results: 113.6 million PS4's sold. 45.9 million PS Plus subscribers as of September, 30 2020. 107 million Monthly Active Users.

Sony's Q2 results as of September 30, 2020. Will update the more info we get.

Q2: July 1st, 2020 - Sept, 30, 2020.

Highlights:

113.6 Million PS4's sold as of Sept 30, 2020. Previous number disclosed known 112.1 Million as of 06/30/2020.

12.4 Million units of PlayStation First-Party Software sold in Q2 or 15.3 % of total PS4 software unit sales.

Q2 Revenue/profit: 4.77 Billion/$0.988 Billion USD. (64.9% YoY growth in profit).

45.9 Million PS Plus Subscribers. 107 Million Monthly Active users.
Increase of .9 million subscribers to PS Plus over Q1 FY 2020. Drop in MAU of 7 million compared to Q1 FY 2020.

Digital software ratio is 59% for Q2. It drops from a high of 74% during Q1 FY 2020.

80.9 million games sold-in during Q2 FY20. This is roughly 880,000 games sold per day.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Source:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

Previous Quarter (Q1 FY 2020):
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/112-...i-and-ghost-of-tsushima-selling-well.1559595/

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Correct. Incidentally, I'm seeing some outlets that are a bit out of touch writing 113.8. Before people start bickering which one is correct, 113.6 is correct. Sony has officially mentioned a 112.1 million total as of June 30 in its corporate report.

113.8 is based on outdated calculations that don't count quarterly approximation.

MastaKiiLA

Am I seeing that right? Have digital game sales been outearning physical games by a ratio of 2:1 up to almost 5:1, since last year? That can't be right. This forum keeps saying that physical games outsell digital games, but those revenue numbers make it look like digital games (not even counting DLC) are massively more lucrative. Are the margins that much greater on the store?

longdi

Banned
1.5 million PS4 consoles sold in the previous quarter. That's still 6 million consoles per year at that rate moving forward. I assume they can continue this or even see an uptick with a good price cut.

PlayStation is definitely killing it and making Sony very profitable.

My worry is Sony is so dependent on Playstation. What's next when the biggest tech firms want in on the gaming pie?

Can Sony reinvent enough? Can Jimbo run SCE with new directions?

The problem with current (Sony) razor and blade model, you cant expect to sell your new console at anymore than $499. That creates an upfront pressure, a sku design pressure.

Raonak

Banned
12 million first party games sold in Q2, wonder how many TLOU2 did in total.

Sony first party really gaining momentum

Last edited:

ne1butu

My worry is Sony is so dependent on Playstation. What's next when the biggest tech firms want in on the gaming pie?

The problem with current (Sony) razor and blade model, you cant expect to sell your new console at anymore than $499. That creates an upfront pressure, a sku design pressure.

Yeah true stadia is killing it and got Sony running scared with one of the biggest tech companies backing it

ToadMan

Those tech firms need content and Sony produces some of the best selling stuff.

I think those big tech companies beat a path to see if they can get Sony stuff on their services.

Comparing it to the movie industry, the content producers - movie studios - made the big money.

To me that’s the way Sony will have to go. They may want to keep producing custom hardware - that’s fine - they’ll do a deal for releases to other platforms 2 years or so later and rely on that exclusivity to shift consoles.

Last edited:
12 million first party games sold in Q2, wonder how many TLOU2 did in total.

Sony first party really gaining momentum

Ghost is doing really well. Bumped itself to the Top 5 of the year's best sellers to date. TLOU II still firmly at #3. That's a lot of millions of units when the competion above you is Call of Duty, Animal Crossings and Madden (for Ghost).

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Yeah true stadia is killing it and got Sony running scared with one of the biggest tech companies backing it

unless Biden starts breaking or restraining these mega tech firms, treat Stadia as an early sign warnings.
Jimbo has to prepare SCE for the inevitable

Those tech firms need content and Sony produces some of the best selling stuff.

I think those big tech companies beat a path to see if they can get Sony stuff on their services.

Comparing it to the movie industry, the content producers - movie studios - made the big money.

To me that’s the way Sony will have to go. They may want to keep producing custom hardware - that’s fine - they’ll do a deal for releases to mother platforms 2 years or so later and rely on that exclusivity to shift consoles.

Yes i wonder if Sony is willing to lose all their rights and controls to custom hardware and ecosystem.
Instead of collecting fees and royalties from publishers publishing games on Playstation.
Sony becomes another publisher for the mega tech firms' ecosystem, and collect software sales only.

They save up on the capital intensive investments but lose out on the 'brand pride'
It sorta like 'Sony no longer produces TV', kinda.

But that may be the future for Playstation. Hopefully Jimbo is agile enough 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

What happens when biggest tech firms want in?

Just look at Microsoft, they have been trying to get in for decades, yet they are still almost non-existent competitor outside of US :messenger_savoring: (Even stores have 80-90% of PS4 games on shelves. I counted this few months ago and some our stores had 4, yes 4! xbox one games and rest were for PS4) So it is long road to become global gaming brand, if Microsoft have difficulties to do it in this time, then competitors are fucked.

It is super hard to get in to the console world, even with "unlimited" resources. It's not like you can just engineer best console and then think it will sell like crazy.

There are limited amount of people whom want to game on consoles, and it is fair to assume that Playstation as brand always takes big piece of that pie, then xbox takes a smaller piece (and nintendo does what they do).

Many people dont buy multiple consoles, so new competitor should "steal" users from playstation or xbox and that will take generations of great games.

They are fine for next gen and probably gen after that, then it is even unsure how gaming works.

What I wish is more luck to them in other departments.

Like phones, Sony have innovated on phones, made lot of features first in the world. Yet nobody remembers those models and think that those features were invented by apple or samsung, while they just copied what Sony did. Their current phones are really good ones. They have been like the smart but shy dude that whispers a joke and then some loud asshole tells it louder and girls laugh and think he is smart, on phone space :messenger_beaming:

Overall Sony does great electronics, maybe more expensive but quality cost. I have used Sony stuff since 1980's and none of my devices have broken even after +10 years of daily usage.

It is true that they dont usually do so much of over engineering and overly good quality/engineering, but that is probably mostly because prices have dropped so much that hi-tech stuff dont sell. Like how tech stuff is 5-10x cheaper at least compared to 80's/90's on scale

longdi

Banned
What happens when biggest tech firms want in?

Just look at Microsoft, they have been trying to get in for decades, yet they are still almost non-existent competitor outside of US :messenger_savoring: (Even stores have 80-90% of PS4 games on shelves. I counted this few months ago and some our stores had 4, yes 4! xbox one games and rest were for PS4) So it is long road to become global gaming brand, if Microsoft have difficulties to do it in this time, then competitors are fucked.

It is super hard to get in to the console world, even with "unlimited" resources. It's not like you can just engineer best console and then think it will sell like crazy.

There are limited amount of people whom want to game on consoles, and it is fair to assume that Playstation as brand always takes big piece of that pie, then xbox takes a smaller piece (and nintendo does what they do).

Many people dont buy multiple consoles, so new competitor should "steal" users from playstation or xbox and that will take generations of great games.

They are fine for next gen and probably gen after that, then it is even unsure how gaming works.

What I wish is more luck to them in other departments.

Like phones, Sony have innovated on phones, made lot of features first in the world. Yet nobody remembers those models and think that those features were invented by apple or samsung, while they just copied what Sony did. Their current phones are really good ones. They have been like the smart but shy dude that whispers a joke and then some loud asshole tells it louder and girls laugh and think he is smart, on phone space :messenger_beaming:

Overall Sony does great electronics, maybe more expensive but quality cost. I have used Sony stuff since 1980's and none of my devices have broken even after +10 years of daily usage.

It is true that they dont usually do so much of over engineering and overly good quality/engineering, but that is probably mostly because prices have dropped so much that hi-tech stuff dont sell. Like how tech stuff is 5-10x cheaper at least compared to 80's/90's on scale

Sony phones suck because, they announced early but turn up for sales 6 months later. At prices way too high.
Otherwise, yes the new Xperia ii are impressive. I think their earnings saw a jump in sales and forcast for the mobile/tv division.

As for mega tech, imo PS6 will be the start of danger for them.

MS actually almost had it, if not for the Xbox One fuck up. They were firm favorities coming from 360/PS3 era. But they took a wrong turn, lost the chance and had to reset.

Games on cloud/stream/gamepass model, It will be quickest uptake un-imagined since.
You can expect Amazon, FB, Google gaming to blossom during PS5 times

Hustler

As long as Playstation doesn't become stagnant in the innovation department and continues to evolve itself, they'll be fine. Look at Amazon, they make next to no money on all of their sales, 80% profits come from their AWS services.

This isn't PS3, arrogant Sony we're dealing with. They've been through tough times and it's recent enough they most likely won't make the same mistakes.

longdi

Banned
As long as Playstation doesn't become stagnant in the innovation department and continues to evolve itself, they'll be fine. Look at Amazon, they make next to no money on all of their sales, 80% profits come from their AWS services.

This isn't PS3, arrogant Sony we're dealing with. They've been through tough times and it's recent enough they most likely won't make the same mistakes.

Idk, Jimbo seems kinda worryingly arrogant and old fashion. 🤷‍♀️

Amazon is also kept afloat by crazy stocks market now.
Amd just made a purchase of a large company by swapping their own shares, which are itself crazily inflated and very much Robinhooded.

v_iHuGi

Banned

Yeah man Stadia is such a success, Sony should just drop Ps5 altogether since Ps4 is not shattering records anymore.

You guys are hilariously, reading this is priceless hahaha

You have no clue what reality is.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Btw, Sony expects Ps5 to Crush Ps4 LT Sales.

+ info:

Some milestones per segment :
  • Music : Best Revenue and Best Operating Profit ever during Q2 / 2nd best Operating Profit ever during any quarter
  • Pictures : 2nd best Operating Profit ever during Q2
  • Imaging & Sensing Solutions : 2nd best Revenue and Operating Profit ever during Q2
  • Financial Services : 2nd best Revenue and Operating Profit ever during Q2
  • Electronics Products & Solutions : Best Operating Profit during Q2 since at least Q2 FY13 (no data before FY13)
Some other:

Sony Revenue : ¥2113.5bn / $19.90B (-0.4% YoY from ¥2122.3bn / $19.76B - Q2 FY2019)
Sony Operating Profit : ¥317.8bn / $2.99B (+13.9% YoY from ¥279bn / $2.60B - Q2 FY2019)
Sony Net Profit : ¥459.6bn / $4.33B (+144.6% YoY from ¥187.9bn / $1.75B - Q2 FY2019)

Biggest Net Profit Ever.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Sony phones suck because, they announced early but turn up for sales 6 months later. At prices way too high.
Otherwise, yes the new Xperia ii are impressive. I think their earnings saw a jump in sales and forcast for the mobile/tv division.

As for mega tech, imo PS6 will be the start of danger for them.

MS actually almost had it, if not for the Xbox One fuck up. They were firm favorities coming from 360/PS3 era. But they took a wrong turn, lost the chance and had to reset.

Games on cloud/stream/gamepass model, It will be quickest uptake un-imagined since.
You can expect Amazon, FB, Google gaming to blossom during PS5 times

hahahahahahahahaha

Raonak

Banned

Amd just made a purchase of a large company by swapping their own shares, which are itself crazily inflated and very much Robinhooded.
I wouldn't be so concerned about Sony.
They'll be fine based on these results

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
unless Biden starts breaking or restraining these mega tech firms, treat Stadia as an early sign warnings.
Jimbo has to prepare SCE for the inevitable

Yes i wonder if Sony is willing to lose all their rights and controls to custom hardware and ecosystem.
Instead of collecting fees and royalties from publishers publishing games on Playstation.
Sony becomes another publisher for the mega tech firms' ecosystem, and collect software sales only.

They save up on the capital intensive investments but lose out on the 'brand pride'
It sorta like 'Sony no longer produces TV', kinda.

But that may be the future for Playstation. Hopefully Jimbo is agile enough 🤷‍♀️

I have to recognize it, you are a really dedicated troll. You go in a thread where Sony confirms it has sold more than twice the amount of Xboxes around and talk about Sony exiting the market because fucking Stadia is the future.

Amazing. You are a next gen troll.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I wouldn't be so concerned about Sony. They'll be fine based on these results

These results are history. What we should concern is how Sony(or SCE = Sony) are setup for the future.

I mentioned capital intensive nature of SCE model, and you see the above post that Sony cash position are down greatly just before PS5 launch. :messenger_open_mouth:
Of course, i remember Sony also made shares buyback during Q3, so that may contribute to drop in cash position

Last edited:
Btw, Sony expects Ps5 to Crush Ps4 LT Sales.

+ info:

Some milestones per segment :
  • Music : Best Revenue and Best Operating Profit ever during Q2 / 2nd best Operating Profit ever during any quarter
  • Pictures : 2nd best Operating Profit ever during Q2
  • Imaging & Sensing Solutions : 2nd best Revenue and Operating Profit ever during Q2
  • Financial Services : 2nd best Revenue and Operating Profit ever during Q2
  • Electronics Products & Solutions : Best Operating Profit during Q2 since at least Q2 FY13 (no data before FY13)
Some other:

Sony Revenue : ¥2113.5bn / $19.90B (-0.4% YoY from ¥2122.3bn / $19.76B - Q2 FY2019)
Sony Operating Profit : ¥317.8bn / $2.99B (+13.9% YoY from ¥279bn / $2.60B - Q2 FY2019)
Sony Net Profit : ¥459.6bn / $4.33B (+144.6% YoY from ¥187.9bn / $1.75B - Q2 FY2019)

Biggest Net Profit Ever.
If net profit is above operation profit it's accounting related. So what caused this? Do you have the quote?

Nvm i found it:
Reversal of valuation allowances recorded against a significant portion of
the deferred tax assets of Sony Corporation and its national tax filing group
in Japan (+214.9 bln yen)

Last edited:
These results are history. What we should concern is how Sony(or SCE = Sony) are setup for the future.

I mentioned capital intensive nature of SCE model, and you see the above post that Sony cash position are down greatly just before PS5 launch. :messenger_open_mouth:
Of course, i remember Sony also made shares buyback during Q3, so that may contribute to drop in cash position
Historically, Playstation goes into a loss the months before the console launch. The fact that they have NOT, this time, show that they are doing just fine/

Aceofspades

Banned
Crazy Impressive numbers,

Look at those freaking Highlights:

Highlights :
  • Over $4.77B Revenue and $0.988B Profit between July-September 2020 (Q2 FY20)
    • 2nd biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during Q2
      • Top 3 biggest Q2 Revenue ever:
        1. Sony Q2 FY18
        2. Sony Q2 FY20
        3. Sony Q2 FY19
      • To show how big Revenue are, Q2 FY20 Revenue are higher than any quarter of Xbox (even Oct-Dec quarters)
    • 3rd biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during a non-Holiday quarter (non-Q3)
      • Top 5 biggest non-Q3 Revenue ever:
        1. Sony Q1 FY20 (April-June 2020 - FF7R/TLOU Part II)
        2. Sony Q2 FY18 (July-Sept 2018 - Spider-Man)
        3. Sony Q2 FY20 (July-Sept 2020 - Ghost of Tsushima)
        4. Sony Q4 FY18 (Jan-Mar 2019)
        5. Sony Q1 FY18 (April-June 2018 - God of War/Detroit)
    • Best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation during Q2
      • 2nd best Operating Profit ever for any platform holder during Q2
    • 2nd best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation during any quarter (out of 104 quarters in PlayStation history)
  • Hardware : 1.5m PS4 sold-in during Q2 FY20 (LTD: 113.6m)
  • Software : 80.9m games sold-in during Q2 FY20
    • including 12.4m Sony published games (vs 6.3m - Q2 FY19)
      • 15.3% of total games sold this Q2 (vs 8.9% - Q2 FY19)
    • 2nd highest software sales during Q2 in video game history
    • PS4 is the only console to ever reach > 60m games sold in Q2 and to have 4 Q2 above 60m games sold
  • PS4 Software LTD : > 1.477B games sold
  • Software digital ratio : 59% during Q2 FY20 (July-Sept 2020)
    • Highest digital ratio ever during Q2
  • Software tie ratio : > 13.01 games per console
  • PlayStation Store had its biggest Revenue everduring Q2 with more than $2.80B (+30.9% YoY)
    • including Digital Software & Add-on content
  • PlayStation Software & Services saw their biggest Revenue ever during Q2 with more than $4.02B (+25.6% YoY)
    • including Physical / Digital Software & Add-on content / Services
  • 107m MAU (monthly active users)
    • 107m active users each spent about $26.14 on average on PS Store during Q2
  • FY2020 Updated Forecast :
    • $24.76B Revenue & $2.86B Profit... it would be:
      • Biggest Revenue for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) in video game history
      • 2nd best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation

Raonak

Banned
Lmfao, but why?? Your hypothetical concerns are beyond pointless.

I'd argue that Sony are a smart company and they've set themselves up in a great position to easily expand into any position they need to.

PlayStation as a gaming brand is as big as ever. They're gonna be more than fine.

Azurro

Banned

You know what I'm concerned about? The Xbox division is a huge money sink for MS, they are pouring billions into GamePass and have no hope for a profit in the future. I'm very, very concerned about them, what will they do once they stop throwing good money after bad money? Will they do a firesale of all MS development studios and IPs? I'd still like there to be a competitor to Sony, even if MS seems to be on the ropes and Gamepass being their hail mary pass to prevent irrelevance.

Blood Borne

Game streaming is the future, could be 10, 15, 20 or 30 years from now but inevitably, it will become standard/mainstream. Console box will be obsolete.

The future game wars will be content war. Similar to the competition between Netflix, Prime and Disney+. Gaming companies will have their own streaming service, and lots of new players will emerge also. Exclusive will be more important than ever, in order to attract new subscribers. MS is looking towards the future hence why it purchased Zenimax. Content will be all that matters.

Will Sony be able to compete with the likes of Apple, Google Amazon, Netflix, and other big companies who will be buying out all the studios they can in order to have exclusive content?

Anyway, that future is still a long way off, in the meantime let’s enjoy our PS5.

Aceofspades

Banned
PS4 just became the most profitable console in history and yet we have longdi longdi trying hardest to find the slightest negatives inside those reports 🤣

I wish you apply similar efforts trying to extrapolate Xbox numbers buried and lumped with Surface and Clouds inside MS reports 🤣

One last thing: I have got some bad news for you. PS5 preorders are tracking ahead of PS4, it will be another tough generation for you 🤣🤘

Yoboman

Jimbo has led the most successful region of Playstation for decades, seems to know his stuff

v_iHuGi

Banned

lmao a comedian on Gaf.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Game streaming is the future, could be 10, 15, 20 or 30 years from now but inevitably, it will become standard/mainstream. Console box will be obsolete.

The future game wars will be content war. Similar to the competition between Netflix, Prime and Disney+. Gaming companies will have their own streaming service, and lots of new players will emerge also. Exclusive will be more important than ever, in order to attract new subscribers. MS is looking towards the future hence why it purchased Zenimax. Content will be all that matters.

Will Sony be able to compete with the likes of Apple, Google Amazon, Netflix, and other big companies who will be buying out all the studios they can in order to have exclusive content?

Anyway, that future is still a long way off, in the meantime let’s enjoy our PS5.

Sony has the IPs + ManPower to have a huge service if it needs to (the service is already set).

Streaming Games # Streaming Media.

F2P Model makes Stream Obsolete in the 1st place, that is where the future is and you just have to look and SmartPhones Games to see that (Fortnite/Geshin/Warzone/Apex).

I can already tell you that no STREAMING SERVICE will EVER reach 400M LT players like Fortnite or Pubg have done.

The rest is just wishful thinking on your part.

PS4 just became the most profitable console in history and yet we have longdi longdi trying hardest to find the slightest negatives inside those reports 🤣

I wish you apply similar efforts trying to extrapolate Xbox numbers buried and lumped with Surface and Clouds inside MS reports 🤣

One last thing: I have got some bad news for you. PS5 preorders are tracking ahead of PS4, it will be another tough generation for you 🤣🤘

1 :ROFLMAO: = 1 butthurt

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Damn looks like TLOU2 really flopped huh?

Lol

Top 5 biggest non-Q3 Revenue ever:
  1. Sony Q1 FY20 (April-June 2020 - FF7R/TLOU Part II)
  2. Sony Q2 FY18 (July-Sept 2018 - Spider-Man)
  3. Sony Q2 FY20 (July-Sept 2020 - Ghost of Tsushima)
  4. Sony Q4 FY18 (Jan-Mar 2019)
  5. Sony Q1 FY18 (April-June 2018 - God of War/Detroit

No.

Last edited:
1 :ROFLMAO: = 1 butthurt
I always wondered why Xbox players use Butthurt emotes. Do they really think Xbox would become a better gaming platform the more they imagine other people being upset? So much so that they imagine people being angry, when they are just laughing at them?

No one is afraid, no one is buthurt, and no one really cares. Xbox fans should focus on giving feedback to their own side instead of pretending their side could do no wrong. Their devotion is hurting Xbox Division, the more it seemed like an ecco chamber. Maybe if somebody had caught on to the issues of Halo Infinite early enough, Craig might not have happened.

Top Bottom