• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 'PS5 Ready' X900H TV may not get HDMI 2.1 features (Up: Sony confirm features still coming)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ok but why? How? Because it's va so the blooming is less visible?
It is interesting that best lcd tvs use va and worst lcd monitors use va... Maybe it's time to try new va monitors?

It has very little blooming and I dont know how they achieved it.

Side note I love VA monitors because of the contrast

Edit - Maybe its one of the reasons the brightness is low to keep blooming down? I dunno

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
HDTVTest exposed....again....the nerve of this guy

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Edit - Maybe its one of the reasons the brightness is low to keep blooming down? I dunno
Maybe... I have 27uk650. 4k 27" ips. I could try checking out 32" va 4k but as I've said... Always ghosting, always darker in the middle and I always had bad pixels on va. I had big monitors buying spree 2 years ago and that's why I decided ips

JeloSWE

I would notice...I take this shit seriously.
Actually Sony has only claimed 4K@120Hz with PS5. 🤷‍♂️
Do I think it will be fixed for the PC?
Yea when the other HDMI 2.1 features are unlocked.
You would probably not unless you ran test images. It's clear from what I've seen that the vertical resolution is compromised. There is no reason to believe it's exclusively better on the PS5. The TV simply doesn't handle a true full 4K at 120hz.

It's probably pretty hard to test it properly on a PS5, best is to check a game that has thin slightly diagonal UI element that are guaranteed to stay 4K regardless of the games render resolution so you can properly compare with the 60 fps one. If you can't see the difference then that's great for you, still, the TV doesn't deliver what is promised and is not good for use as a monitor. Which BTW Sony usually is one of the better brands to use for as the do accurate colors and full chroma 444 in game and graphics mode.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe... I have 27uk650. 4k 27" ips. I could try checking out 32" va 4k but as I've said... Always ghosting, always darker in the middle and I always had bad pixels on va. I had big monitors buying spree 2 years ago and that's why I decided ips

That LG is a very nice display for the money I used that for quite awhile along with the Samsung C27HG70 VA panel and played mostly on that display.

I since switched both panels for the LG 27GN950 4k 144 IPS and while IPS is a cleaner looking panel speed wise when I play something slower paced and something that looks great I miss that VA Samsung.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That LG is a very nice display for the money I used that for quite awhile along with the Samsung C27HG70 VA panel and played mostly on that display.

I since switched both panels for the LG 27GN950 4k 144 IPS and while IPS is a cleaner looking panel speed wise when I play something slower paced and something that looks great I miss that VA Samsung.
27gn950 is amazeballs. I never care for more than 60hz since I only play single player games even on pc like souls etc which are all 60fps locked anyway.
I also use monitor for console so after my years of trying out monitors, I knew that I wanted 4k60 but with decent input lag and freesync on board (40-60hz is narrow but very usefull with 4k imo).
That said - I wanted to upgrade to 27gn950 but there are a lot 27-32 va 4k options. Way cheaper too... curved or not. But my va experience was usually terrible so I don't know.
The c27hg70 I was considering years ago but it had so many bad opinions...

You would probably not unless you ran test images. It's clear from what I've seen that the vertical resolution is compromised. There is no reason to believe it's exclusively better on the PS5. The TV simply doesn't handle a true full 4K at 120hz.

It's probably pretty hard to test it properly on a PS5, best is to check a game that has thin slightly diagonal UI element that are guaranteed to stay 4K regardless of the games render resolution so you can properly compare with the 60 fps one. If you can't see the difference then that's great for you, still, the TV doesn't deliver what is promised and is not good for use as a monitor. Which BTW Sony usually is one of the better brands to use for as the do accurate colors and full chroma 444 in game and graphics mode.

It's not hard to test, when you go back to the user interface while running a 120hz game, it renders at 4k 120. And there it's where you notice most the difference in quality

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
27gn950 is amazeballs. I never care for more than 60hz since I only play single player games even on pc like souls etc which are all 60fps locked anyway.
I also use monitor for console so after my years of trying out monitors, I knew that I wanted 4k60 but with decent input lag and freesync on board (40-60hz is narrow but very usefull with 4k imo).
That said - I wanted to upgrade to 27gn950 but there are a lot 27-32 va 4k options. Way cheaper too... curved or not. But my va experience was usually terrible so I don't know.
The c27hg70 I was considering years ago but it had so many bad opinions...

Yeah I have my consoles also hooked up to my monitors as this GN950 works with Xbox 1440p 120hz and allows the PS5 to run at 120hz as well just at 1080p.

The updated GP950 that will have HDMI 2.1 might find its way onto my desk later this year since I bought the extended warranty on this GN950 and hopefully LG phases out the GN.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Show me in the video where PS5 text is compared.
Also show me where the same resolution/details is compared.
Vincent even admits the 120 mode runs at lower details/resolution.
A proper comparison has not been made by him and he knows it as I called him out with no response.
You continue to lose.
tenor.gif

Your willingness to dodge and move the goalposts so that you can't ever admit error truly is remarkable.

Fuchalmania

I installed Fortnite just to test the 4k 120hz mode, but I have deleted it now
Sorry to hear you're not getting the experience you'd hoped for with the TV and PS5. New console and an expensive TV, so I know the feeling when it's not hiting the mark you're after.

I've not tried any of the 120fps games, so my hands on experience is based on online resources. Again, I've got the same TV and a PS5. I'm just an old timer who plays slow games like Demon's Souls.

I think Rainbow 6 is the only 4k 120fps game, and even then it's dynamic resolution when it hits demanding spots. My Source is:

From what I can tell, all the other 120fps games are being upscaled from lower res. Many from 1080p. My Source:

What we need is an outlet, or wealthy GAF member, to do an A/B comparison with another 4K/120Hz panel, side by side with the X900H.

At any rate, sorry to hear it's not the experience you're after. Hope you get it rocking the way your want down the track. Either with the Sony panel or another TV.

Be sure to check out the settings for the X900H to ensure all the HDMI inputs are enabled for full bandwidth. Don't know why Sony only enables port 3 to be full bandwidth on factory settings. But now we know to open them all up, we'll be ready for when big bandwidth PS5 games drop.

Knack 3, baby!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you're not getting the experience you'd hoped for with the TV and PS5. New console and an expensive TV, so I know the feeling when it's not hiting the mark you're after.

I've not tried any of the 120fps games, so my hands on experience is based on online resources. Again, I've got the same TV and a PS5. I'm just an old timer who plays slow games like Demon's Souls.

From what I can tell, all the other 120fps games are being upscaled from lower res. Many from 1080p.

I installed Fortnite only to test the 120hz mode, since it's free to play, I don't play these kind of games.
Aniway, since you are talking about resolutions, both Demon's Souls in perf. mode and Fortnite in 120hz mode are 1440p, but Demon's Souls picture quality is much better. Thst's why I say that it looks like a badly upscaled lower res... it's not really blurry, after the latest update, it's just jaggy and it doesn't feel right.
When you go back to the dashboard then the differences are pretty obvious.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I don't like that quantum dude at all.
Quantum warned people not to buy 2020 tvs months ago while HDTVTest was shilling his ass off for his corporate masters rather than tell it like it is

Quantum has saved me thousands of dollars and from many regrets

I'll admit HDTVTest seems more likeable but most con-men are!

JeloSWE

Quantum warned people not to buy 2020 tvs months ago while HDTVTest was shilling his ass off for his corporate masters rather than tell it like it is

I'm not arguing that buying a TV last year would have been a bad investment as I my self am waiting for this year or the next before upgrading to mature HDMI 2.1 sets, hopefully with good miniLED arrays. But Quantum seem to have a weird angle on things and he often sound like an amateur, especially his often recommended settings are awful if you are looking for an accurate image. On the other hand I really trust Vincent of HDTVTest based on the years of reviews I've seen from him and he is not a corporate chill in my eyes.

Last edited:

insanexer

I'm not arguing that buying a TV last year would have been a bad investment as I my self am waiting for this year or the next before upgrading to mature HDMI 2.1 sets, hopefully with good miniLED arrays. But Quantum seem to have a weird angle on things and he often sound like an amature, especially his often recommended settings are awful if you are looking for an accurate image. On the other hand I really trust Vincent of HDTVTest based on the years of reviews I've seen from him and he is not a corporate chill in my eyes.
Correct. Now he puts his settings behind a pay wall for his VIP members on youtube. But, before they weren't behind the pay wall all his settings were set to max brightness, max color, BT 2020, etc. The image looked radioactive. Sadly, I agree with him sometimes that these TV reviewers are shills and give mostly positive reviews to TVs sent to them by the different companies. But, Quantum has a tendency to curse every other word and it makes him seem unintelligent and petty. Usually the best reviews are just ordinary people who own the tv sets who can openly discuss their experience and issues with the TV.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

And the damned thing is still bright enough. It causes me to squint on flashy HDR scenes and my eyes even had to adjust due to them having some strain from only 20 on the brightness level in SDR. Came from a Sony 4K IPS prior.

TV is the real deal for the price. It’s something people who have not seen in person, need to before they spout off specs they read online as their “opinion.”

Both HDTVtest and Stop the FOMO are the best two out there for me. Actually I can't blame FOMO for what he did, he had evidence. But Vincent is the best.

Quantum? He's a clown.
On a side note, why does he always wear those gloves? His style for videos, hypochondriac, or bad psoriasis?

Last edited:
Ok but why? How? Because it's va so the blooming is less visible?
It is interesting that best lcd tvs use va and worst lcd monitors use va... Maybe it's time to try new va monitors? Last I had was 2 years ago and was terrible

Monitors typically use ips because viewing angles aren't as much of a concern. You're sitting like a foot away and not really moving much. A tv will be further away usually in an environment with multiple viewing arrangements and it needs them viewing angles.

S0ULZB0URNE

He was wrong though

S0ULZB0URNE

It does handle a 4K@120Hz image with PS5 as advertised though.
Not one actual test show this not to be the case.
I posted a video in this thread which is more than what Vincent and others have done by showing non PS5 devices.

When the games run in 120 mode they are lower resolution than 4K so of course they have worst AA.

I know what I am looking at and do have a eye for it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I didn't think so
You sure are stubborn.

You said that VRR will be out by next gen release and that the X900H is blur free with next gen consoles.

No I'm saying buying a TV for VRR for XB isn't a big deal,this gen is over.

Wanting it for the next gen is a bigger deal and the Sony does support VRR and should have it enabled by time those consoles release.

It's true blur free 4K/120 with the next gen consoles.

I said that the firmware update isn't out yet despite the next gen consoles being released 2 months ago, and I cited 3 reputable sources showing that the X900h still has issues with blurriness at 4K/120Hz on next gen consoles, all of which are true and verified.

And your response is to move the goalposts and "bbbut PS5"!

Shmunter

That’s a bit over the top, but yes, 2020 is a bad year because it’s the transition year for new tech.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You sure are stubborn.

You said that VRR will be out by next gen release and that the X900H is blur free with next gen consoles.

I said that the firmware update isn't out yet despite the next gen consoles being released 2 months ago, and I cited 3 reputable sources showing that the X900h still has issues with blurriness at 4K/120Hz on next gen consoles, all of which are true and verified.

And your response is to move the goalposts and "bbbut PS5"!

VRR is out for PS5 but not currently for XSX so I was half right.

No reputable source has ACTUALLY shown PS5 comparisons with blur.
I don't care what they claim... it has not been shown period!

4K/120 was out in time for the next gen consoles(like I claimed) unfortunately VRR isn't for XSX.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well 2020 TV with good deal is still good.

I bought Sony A8H 55" for 1299€ on black friday, normal price is around 1800-1900€.

Wait for 2021 55" Sony OLED = 500-700€ more expensive, unless I would have waited 10-12 months using 6 years old fullHD lcd.

So I saved tons of money + got epicly good TV.

I Lost VRR+4K/120Hz, which both are almost useless gimmicks for console games.

Also lost bit more peak brightness + new SoC, these would be nice but not essential or worth of price that i could not afford.

Friend got sony x95g aka 2019 model, and it have been great TV too. Hard to beat 699€ that she paid with 2021 model.

And other brands arent a choise because most have bad quality, Panasonic is ok but I like Sony and 95% of my electronics are Sony so it would br weird to buy "wrong" brand if sony offers what I want

JeloSWE

Correct. Now he puts his settings behind a pay wall for his VIP members on youtube. But, before they weren't behind the pay wall all his settings were set to max brightness, max color, BT 2020, etc. The image looked radioactive. Sadly, I agree with him sometimes that these TV reviewers are shills and give mostly positive reviews to TVs sent to them by the different companies. But, Quantum has a tendency to curse every other word and it makes him seem unintelligent and petty. Usually the best reviews are just ordinary people who own the tv sets who can openly discuss their experience and issues with the TV.
The thing with Vincent on HDTVTest is that he get's most of his TVs from a local reseller as I understand it, so he isn't chilling the manufacturers to get new samples to review. And I think he criticizes fairly and often try to be professional in his oppinions.

Geruda065

Guys tv has cpu or bandwidth bottleneck. From this image it is obvious that it uses lower vertical resolution in 120hz mode. Game is Destiny 2 on Series X. It is best example as Series X can display same image in both modes. There is no "blur" on PS5 because PS5 displays 120fps in much lower resolution than 4k so tv's lower resolution is not noticable. One thing is for shure. This is not 4k/120hz.
MLrnbhr.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Guys tv has cpu or bandwidth bottleneck. From this image it is obvious that it uses lower vertical resolution in 120hz mode. Game is Destiny 2 on Series X. It is best example as Series X can display same image in both modes. There is no "blur" on PS5 because PS5 displays 120fps in much lower resolution than 4k so tv's lower resolution is not noticable. One thing is for shure. This is not 4k/120hz.
MLrnbhr.jpg

Yes, it's upscaled from 1080p.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
MLrnbhr.jpg
Well if I am not wrong Destiny 2 is 4K DSR /60Hz and 1440p/120hz, so definitely there is some resolution drop, so this make sense to me.

M1chl

The game resolution is not always the same as the UI. At 4K you can render the game at 1440p but still draw the UI at 4K on top.
Oh really? I though this feature died back in X1 which introduced this in the SDK. Oh alright, fine : )

Geruda065

Well if I am not wrong Destiny 2 is 4K DSR /60Hz and 1440p/120hz, so definitely there is some resolution drop, so this make sense to me.
Nope. This sample is at 4k. Its not from pvp. There is no resolution drop in game. Series X can do this. Just changes refresh rate. Thats where confusion comes from. Its the tv that drops vertical res. Sample is from this video:

Last edited:

M1chl

Nope. This sample is at 4k. Its not from pvp. There is no resolution drop in game. Series X can do this. Just changes refresh rate. Thats where confusion comes from. Its the tv that drops vertical res. Sample is from this video:

Just go on check it out on my CX and does not seems to make a difference, that's certainly some weird issue...

JeloSWE

Oh really? I though this feature died back in X1 which introduced this in the SDK. Oh alright, fine : )
I'm talking about the ingame UI to be specific, as many game use dynamic resolution it would probably make the UI flicker a bit if it was constantly jumping up and down in resolution if it matched the game.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

MLrnbhr.jpg
Destiny 2 is 1440p in the 120fps mode.
Sighs

S0ULZB0URNE

XSX has a glitch with Destiny 2 when 120hz is enabled where it stays 1440p.
PS5 doesn't have this issue and switches to 120 for crucible.

Geruda065

Destiny 2 is 1440p in the 120fps mode.
Sighs
You are correct for pvp mode. PS5 is 1440p also in pvp mode. But exaple shown here is displayed at 4k. Its from pve gameplay. No downscale from game. Series X can display any 60fps or 30fps game at 120hz. For Series X 120hz is system wide option including dashboard and game at any frame rate. PS5 can not do this. Thats why Series X is great to test this. You can output any game at 120hz native 4k regardles of game frame rate. Hope i was clear.

Geruda065

XSX has a glitch with Destiny 2 when 120hz is enabled where it stays 1440p.
PS5 doesn't have this issue and switches to 120 for crucible.
First time i hear of this glitch. Would you mind posting a source. Only pvp runs at dynamic 1440p/120 fps. Guy in this video plays open world section called Tangled Shore which is native 4k/60 but Xbox can display it at 120hz. Its the tv that lowers resolution not the game. If it was game at 1440p both lines of the hud would have jaggies horizontal and vertical. In this example only vertical resolution is lowered but horizontal is fine so its not at 1440p.

ethomaz

Banned
You are correct for pvp mode. PS5 is 1440p also in pvp mode. But exaple shown here is displayed at 4k. Its from pve gameplay. No downscale from game. Series X can display any 60fps or 30fps game at 120hz. For Series X 120hz is system wide option including dashboard and game at any frame rate. PS5 can not do this. Thats why Series X is great to test this. You can output any game at 120hz native 4k regardles of game frame rate. Hope i was clear.
No you can't.

It is being upscaled to 4k if the game is not native 4k... the framerate output is not 120Hz unless the game really holds 120fps all the time... any drop in framerate will be sent do the TV... that is why VRR even exists to deals with these variation of fps that the TV is receiving.

S0ULZB0URNE

First time i hear of this glitch. Would you mind posting a source. Only pvp runs at dynamic 1440p/120 fps. Guy in this video plays open world section called Tangled Shore which is native 4k/60 but Xbox can display it at 120hz. Its the tv that lowers resolution not the game. If it was game at 1440p both lines of the hud would have jaggies horizontal and vertical. In this example only vertical resolution is lowered but horizontal is fine so its not at 1440p.
XSX is not supposed to run non Crucible at 120 the glitch is the lower resolution/AA 120 is displayed when 120 is set.
The whole game is stuck at these settings on XSX when 120 is enabled.
Like stated the PS5 does not have this issue and switches to 120/1440p when the crucible match starts with a quick blink on the screen.

XSX also has this issue with my Z9D when 1080p/120 is selected.

Geruda065

XSX is not supposed to run non Crucible at 120 the glitch is the lower resolution/AA 120 is displayed when 120 is set.
The whole game is stuck at these settings on XSX when 120 is enabled.
Like stated the PS5 does not have this issue and switches to 120/1440p when the crucible match starts with a quick blink on the screen.

XSX also has this issue with my Z9D when 1080p/120 is selected.
So Xbox drops the resolution of whole game if set to 120hz? Thats a major bug if so.

Geruda065

No you can't.

It is being upscaled to 4k if the game is not native 4k... the framerate output is not 120Hz unless the game really holds 120fps all the time... any drop in framerate will be sent do the TV... that is why VRR even exists to deals with these variation of fps that the TV is receiving.
So it is imposible to set 120hz display mode on 60fps game? Series X in question.

JeloSWE

So it is imposible to set 120hz display mode on 60fps game? Series X in question.
In windows you can play a game at any fps regardless of refresh rate, it's just that you get the same image displayed multiple times if the fps is lower or you won't see every frame if it's higher. If the XSX is set to 120hz then regardless of the the games fps the TV will still receive a 120hz signal. That is unless you are using VRR of course.

The blur bug is related to 4K 120hz signal, not the frames received from the game. If the TV were switching to 60hz when jumping in and out from the dash board the screen should go black for a moment the same way it does when setting a new refresh rate in the settings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom