• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 'PS5 Ready' X900H TV may not get HDMI 2.1 features (Up: Sony confirm features still coming)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
All this HDMI 2.1 standard has been a fucking mess. Really not regretting to wait for the dust to settle. I also don't like where they are heading with the "cognitive AI" bullshit that changes the image outside of reference, it'll be like a store demo settings where everything is exagerated to sell units i feel.

More than likely you can turn it off as Vincent said. I will turn it off for gaming and PC.

Kagey K

Banned
I’d be fucking pissed if I bought this tv on the promise of HDMI 2.1

Seems like some false advertising now, and I advised against getting it before, but now it has to be a flat out no, compared to the other TVs in its price range.

It’s embarrassing how far Sony has fallen in the TV space.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

Seems like some false advertising now, and I advised against getting it before, but now it has to be a flat out no, compared to the other TVs in its price range.

it's absolutely false advertising.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Hope you get what pleases you: Sony confirms VRR support, or you get refunded for the misleading marketing.

so I spoke with a Sony rep friend and he said to wait till March. Amazon even says to wait till Dec 2020 and spring 2021 on their listings but right now amazon is offering me a full refund. I told them to give me some time till next Saturday to figure out what's going and they agreed.

Kagey K

Banned
so I spoke with a Sony rep friend and he said to wait till March. Amazon even says to wait till Dec 2020 and spring 2021 on their listings but right now amazon is offering me a full refund. I told them to give me some time till next Saturday to figure out what's going and they agreed.
By March, return periods and warranty are going to expire for a lot of early adopters.

Ask your Rep friend if they are going to extend the return period if they don’t honor what they sold the TV as.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Actually Vincent from HDTVtest has stated that the VRR is coming before/around March. But if you can get a full refund now and have another good tv sitting around, even an HDMI 2.0, then go for it and upgrade to X95J or X90J or even their cooled OLED's, or give Sony the middle finger and take the new Panasonic OLED or LG OLED's. To me I'll go for X95J or A90J/A80J later this year, I'm very pleased with Sony's color accuracy and processing in general and I use my tv as a monitor to edit videos/photos. I would consider the Panasonic but we don't get them here AFAIK.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sony tvs are garbage. The best premium gaming TV avaliable right now is the LG CX. If you have apprehension around OLED the Samsung Q80s are good too.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
More than likely you can turn it off as Vincent said. I will turn it off for gaming and PC.
The worry, and why I would be waiting for proper reviews , is that outside of these AI enhancements (curiously DLSS is a-ok, TV AI is not oh well, personally both leave artefacts and I prefer both off) there may be little panel and process enhancements.

cormack12

Gold Member
My guess on why this is happening is that the hardware in the TV simply is to weak to support the processing of full resolution 4K at 120hz, this is probably also the reason for not being able to support VRR. They probably expected to be able to do this with the hardware they had or there were some internal miscommunication and when they tried to actually implement it now that XSX and PS5 and RTX 3000 has launched they simply couldn't pull it of with the chipsets in these models.

That seems to be a common theme. I think what started the whole issue was:

PKG6.04960 is the firmware listed with the supposed features (ALLM/VRR) and that is available now (has been since November). If you look at applicable models it is compatible with all expected TV's except specifically the XH900/X90CH series but is compatible with the XH905 series

I don't believe anyone has tried 6.4960 on their XH900/X90CH as they don't want to risk bricking it, plus it doesn't actually specify VRR/ALLM in the feature notes if you read them. This is where people have tried to pin Sony CS down and get an answer, and since no one can and with the features are being removed from certain spec sheets it has alarm bells ringing. I'm still in the 90 day period with mine, but I'm considering what to do.

No doubt it's still a great TV, but a lot of people bought it on the premise of features that were coming as well. And the price range. Imagine if this sentence was removed from the official PlayStation FAQ for example:

eTyR5f.jpg

To temper this, the firmware always had a date of Spring 2021 for the XH9000 but as you can see from the notes, it is missing the features. I'm not sure if all those TVs have the 'new X1' chipset . To be clear 120Hz is not an issue to me, but VRR and ALLM definitely were features that affected my purchase. It also affected people considering the XH950 as it has a better panel but not the 2.1 features. As Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem says, these features were not scheduled to 'drop' before Spring but with the transcripts of imcompatbility and the fact most of us will be outside the 90 day window in Spring, then we need a satetement from Sony specifically about this issue imo.

Windows central also covering it now: https://www.windowscentral.com/sony-scrubs-vrr-and-allm-upgrade-x900h-x90h-tv-support-pages?amp

And customer service now seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet (of course it's Reddit so take it with a pinch of salt) but there seems to be compatibiity issues with VRR/ALLM and this model):

jigglet

Banned
I'm not a huge TV guy but without sounding too cynical, isn't this basically the standard in the TV industry? Since they're refreshed literally every 12 months, doesn't every TV manufacturer basically lie out of their teeth regarding promised updates that never come or come way too late? I rarely hear positive stories when it comes to TV's. I think one should always buy a TV with the assumption that what you buy on day 1 is what you'll have forever (and also assume all meaningful services like Youtube will be deprecated / outdated within a few short years).

Last edited:

noise36

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sony tvs are garbage. The best premium gaming TV avaliable right now is the LG CX. If you have apprehension around OLED the Samsung Q80s are good too.

I wouldn't say Sony TV are garbage, the 9000/9500 series are decent at the right price, but there isn't any reason to actually buy one over an LG OLED or Samsung LCD.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm not a huge TV guy but without sounding too cynical, isn't this basically the standard in the TV industry? Since they're refreshed literally every 12 months, doesn't every TV manufacturer basically lie out of their teeth regarding promised updates that never come or come way too late? I rarely hear positive stories when it comes to TV's. I think one should always buy a TV with the assumption that what you buy on day 1 is what you'll have forever (and also assume all meaningful services like Youtube will be deprecated / outdated within a few short years).
I agree. I’ve said before that I wouldn’t touch a TV with those until the features were released and consumer tested, because you never know. It could be because of physical limitations or business decisions. Don’t forget that these businesses are there to churn out products on a cycle, and if someone above your pay grade decides it isn’t worth their company’s time tells you to cancel the firmware upgrade then you do that. There’s no unofficial firmware community for TVs that I know of, either.

“Buy products, not promises”
-Me, 2021

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Send it back bruv.
Don’t wait for promises buy shit that is completed!

Allandor

Well, not really. Those features were advertised, even on the packaging. They are still on the product site but now missing on the support page.
Yes, you should only buy what is ready, but that is somehow impossible with those features as most companies added then via firmware update.
Yes you hear a lot about e. G. Samsung were TVs don't get freesync support or something like that. But those were also not promised whole buying a TV. They were announced that they try to also add it to the TVs but than canceled.
Sony bragged about full hdmi 2.1 support and now it seems they break their promise.

BTW, even after the garantee customers should have a right to refund because of the false advertise.

jigglet

Banned
Well, not really. Those features were advertised, even on the packaging. They are still on the product site but now missing on the support page.
Yes, you should only buy what is ready, but that is somehow impossible with those features as most companies added then via firmware update.
Yes you hear a lot about e. G. Samsung were TVs don't get freesync support or something like that. But those were also not promised whole buying a TV. They were announced that they try to also add it to the TVs but than canceled.
Sony bragged about full hdmi 2.1 support and now it seems they break their promise.

BTW, even after the garantee customers should have a right to refund because of the false advertise.

I'm not defending Sony at all. I'm just saying this is my observation of the TV industry in general.

Excess

To be honest, Sony has fallen mightily from its position as the premium tech brand every since the mid-2000's. Only up until the release of the PS4 had Sony curtailed bankruptcy with a very successful reoganization, selling off of assets, consolidating workforces, and reorienting their business strategy to focus primarily on PlayStation, camera lenses, and premium TV sets. I'm of the opinion that the success of the PS4 saved them, but back in 2008-ish, a corporate raider, Daniel Loeb, had tried to split up Sony, and he's been trying ever since. The Japanese leadership, however, have been incredibly stubborn about this because they very heavily value Sony as an example of national pride.

But outside of PlayStation, I honestly think the brand is about as innovative and useful as Kodak is today. Ok, that's exaggerating, but it's certainly not what it used to be.

Last edited:

FMX

Thank god for this thread. I almost bought one of those things. That's why you don't spend 1000+ dollars on something with the promise of certain features to come later. They probably can do it but rather you buy their new lineup than to upgrade what you have.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You guys got bait and switched.

If you can, refund the TV asap. There is no guarantee a firmware update will fix it. And if it does it might take forever.

My Sony 900E tv got nailed with an OS update the killed eArc. So audio didn't work anymore through that port (which connected to my home theatre). It was working fine, then boom. It was a known issue with their Oreo 8 update as there's reddits and forums about it. About a year later, some forum said it was fixed. I didn't try it yet as I've been lazy readjusting the cables (pain in the butt with the my tv stand is). But during the firmware debacle, I had to go buy an optical cable so sound would work.

If you believe a Sony 900H firmware update is coming, you might be waiting a year.

Here's the crap I had to find on the internet hoping for workarounds for my 900E. First Sony TV ever. Last Sony TV ever. I should have stuck with Panasonic. However, here in Canada hardly any stores sell Pannys anymore. And those that do have jacked up prices.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sony tvs are garbage.

No they're not? Read any professional review and you'll find that Sony actually makes great TVs with very good image processing, brilliant HD upscaling, superb color accuracy, etc.

What's going on here is a shame, but it doesn't make their TVs garbage overall. Seems like you're pulling that opinion out of your ass TBH.

I wouldn't say Sony TV are garbage, the 9000/9500 series are decent at the right price, but there isn't any reason to actually buy one over an LG OLED or Samsung LCD.

All else being equal, Android TV (Google TV on the 2021 models) is a big reason for me personally. Superior app library to all other TV OSs (Samsung might be close), and built in Chromecast takes care of everything for which there might not be a TV app. If I'm getting a TV in 2021 I want all that stuff to be top notch. I know many use an Apple TV or similar instead, but I prefer my TV just doing that stuff without needing extra boxes and controllers.

I'll give you LG OLEDs, those are obviously great, but I would never buy a Samsung LCD over a Sony. Samsung is for people who love oversaturated colors ("pop"), I prefer natural and accurate color reproduction.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You guys got bait and switched.

If you can, refund the TV asap. There is no guarantee a firmware update will fix it. And if it does it might take forever.

My Sony 900E tv got nailed with an OS update the killed eArc. So audio didn't work anymore through that port (which connected to my home theatre). It was working fine, then boom. It was a known issue with their Oreo 8 update as there's reddits and forums about it. About a year later, some forum said it was fixed. I didn't try it yet as I've been lazy readjusting the cables (pain in the butt with the my tv stand is). But during the firmware debacle, I had to go buy an optical cable so sound would work.

If you believe a Sony 900H firmware update is coming, you might be waiting a year.

Here's the crap I had to find on the internet hoping for workarounds for my 900E. First Sony TV ever. Last Sony TV ever. I should have stuck with Panasonic. However, here in Canada hardly any stores sell Pannys anymore. And those that do have jacked up prices.

900E never had eARC. Maybe you just mean ARC. On my X930E that works perfectly, and always has. Maybe that bug was only on the 900.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
900E never had eARC. Maybe you just mean ARC. On my X930E that works perfectly, and always has. Maybe that bug was only on the 900.
You're right. Just ARC. Some threads lately have said eArc. Thought it was the same thing. It might have been a 900E only issue.

Unbelievable how bad the quality control is at Sony. Only TV I've ever had (anything from CRTs to plasma to the 900E) where sound doesn't even work through a sound system when connecting with any kind of audio cord. Even old ass CRTs with those lanky red, yellow and white connection cables worked fine for video and audio.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You're right. Just ARC. Some threads lately have said eArc. Thought it was the same thing. It might have been a 900E only issue.

Unbelievable how bad the quality control is at Sony. Only TV I've ever had (anything from CRTs to plasma to the 900E) where sound doesn't even work through a sound system when connecting with any kind of audio cord. Even old ass CRTs with those lanky red, yellow and white connection cables worked fine for video and audio.

Yeah, I've never had that problem at all, ARC has worked since I bought the TV. But that sucks for sure.

This is not good, no question about that but the TV is still really damn good. I barely had to change any of the settings.
I will stick with it, if the new features come or not, meh.

DinoD

If true. Pretty horrible move on Sony's part. Especially when they were pushing this model as the best fit with the PS5. Affordable price/performance with the promise of being future proof for VRR and ALLM. They moved tonnes of these TV's during the holidays, and probably the vast majority were bought by people who don't even know or care about PS5. I entertained the possibility of getting one for my PS5 but then I realised that 900(0)h had worse contrast than my 900(0)f and didn't offer any other advantage in pic quality or viewing angle apart from 120hz. Anyone who bought this TV based on the promised VRR ALLM should be refunded if they wish to do so.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last edited:

Allandor

Well, just tried to get an answer from sony support (germany).
"VRR is available since the last update" .....

No it is not, the man on the other side just did not know what he was talking about. He always meant 4k120 support. Makes the refund much harder without an actual statement from sony.

Soodanim

Well, up to you guys if you believe Sony and want to wait it out.

Their site says 4k/120, eARC, VRR and ALLM will come in a future firmware update on both US and Canada sites.

FEATURES SPECIFIED IN HDMI2.1

• 4K120(5)/eARC(6)/VRR(7)/ALLM(8)
will be available via a future firmware update.
My current TV had 120hz (smoothing) listed on the website and it 100% does not have it, Sony's bad at telling the truth there.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well, up to you guys if you believe Sony and want to wait it out.

Their site says 4k/120, eARC, VRR and ALLM will come in a future firmware update on both US and Canada sites.

FEATURES SPECIFIED IN HDMI2.1

• 4K120(5)/eARC(6)/VRR(7)/ALLM(8)
will be available via a future firmware update.
Here in Spain they are still listing it as a feature that will arrive in a future update....
FGfvTat.png
It is still listed in all sites... US, BR, CA, ES etc.
It was never removed.

It is promised for firmware update.

Last edited:

Allandor

It is still listed in all sites... US, BR, CA, ES etc.
It was never removed.

It is promised for firmware update.
Well, sadly that does not mean anything.
According to this article Was ist HDMI 2.1? Funktionen und Vorteile erklärt | Sony DE (and the sony support germany) VRR is already out with the last update.
Problem is, it isn't. They just don't know what they are writing there.

The article even states that those things are in an update, that is not even for the x90h/xh90 series.

WDIlu6q.jpg

btw, the article was last updated on 29/12/2020

Last edited:

Paulxo87

Yeah this TV was always a suckers choice, you never want to rely on future updates and the 120 FPS stuff was a huge red flag

If you bought it relying/caring about HDMI 2.1, yes. Otherwise the tv was the best bang for the buck last year especially with the big discounts.

partime

That sucks, but I would have needed a 4K 120fps audio receiver as well. It's a great TV but was really looking forward to 120 on PS5.

Top Bottom