• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 'PS5 Ready' X900H TV may not get HDMI 2.1 features (Up: Sony confirm features still coming)

JeloSWE

how? A PC desktop alone seems like the perfect conditions for image retention/burn-in; unless you don't mind buying a new one every 2-3 years.
Friend of mine only got a CX because LG had to replace his E7 that got burn-in after just two years of watching TV, I'd imagine the static elements on PC are a thousand times worse.
Also using an OLED with ABL will start dimming your desktop after a while editing in a softwares and such. Also WRGB isn't good for color accuracy in bright saturated content.

JeloSWE

My guess on why this is happening is that the hardware in the TV simply is to weak to support the processing of full resolution 4K at 120hz, this is probably also the reason for not being able to support VRR. They probably expected to be able to do this with the hardware they had or there were some internal miscommunication and when they tried to actually implement it now that XSX and PS5 and RTX 3000 has launched they simply couldn't pull it of with the chipsets in these models.

Chiggs

Sony pulled this same stunt with the x930E series. Promised Dolby Vision support shortly after launch, but then it took nearly 14 months for it to work properly with devices, because Sony had completely misinterpreted how Dolby Vision worked, according to those familiar with the situation.

Paulxo87

Was so close to pulling the trigger on this TV.

Seems extra shady that this TV was discounted so much the month or so before this all came to fruition.

Bro I grabbed the 75" on sale for 1999 and thought I got a decent deal. It then went on sale for 1599 two weeks later and amazon said they would not price match but I could purchase a new one at the discounted price and return the "old" one so that's exactly what I did. I could give two fucks about HDMI 2.1. I made out like a bandit the tv is spectacular.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Bro I grabbed the 75" on sale for 1999 and thought I got a decent deal. It then went on sale for 1599 two weeks later and amazon said they would not price match but I could purchase a new one at the discounted price and return the "old" one so that's exactly what I did. I could give two fucks about HDMI 2.1. I made out like a bandit the tv is spectacular.
Yeah it's a great non-2.1 set for sure.

It was a toss up between XH90 and the Q90T for me, but I was too impatient to wait the 2.1 features so ended up with the Samsung. Now my problem is the non functioning ALLM on the series x.

sleepnaught

LCD has zero risk of burn in, can get much brighter, especially in HDR and can keep full saturation at high brightness which WRGB OLEDs can't. Samsung has inaccurate colors etc etc. Not saying LG CX isn't a very good choice for gaming it's just that there are legitimate reasons not to.
I wouldnt say zero risk, but it is rare. My brother's ASUS ultrawide has burn in for leaving the WoW log in screen open 24/7 when he is not using the PC.

JeloSWE

I wouldnt say zero risk, but it is rare. My brother's ASUS ultrawide has burn in for leaving the WoW log in screen open 24/7 when he is not using the PC.
It less than rare, even for static or repeating imagery. Imagine if your brother had used an OLED instead. LOL

IntentionalPun

LCDs technically CANT suffer from burn-in; they can have some image retention issues, but it's usually fixable.

Am planning to buy a new 55" TV later this month and had dwindled down my options between this Sony X900H and the Samsung Q80T which is a little more expensive. Now that this news has come to light, it makes my decision so much easier.

The worst part about all is that Sony has know for months that they couldn't or wouldn't be able to update these sets with the advertised gaming features yet they waited until after the Holiday shopping season to stealth update the absence of VRR and ALLM. Hope they get hit with a heavy class-action.

IntentionalPun

Based on these everything in the OP im just seeing a lot of FUD and jumping to conclusions. Which is basically all the internet does.
I’ll wait for official word from Sony.
It's pretty reasonable to be worried when Sony removed features from support articles.

You can use archive.org to see that they were explicitly removed.

Mistake? Possibly.. but hardly FUD to question it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you think 4k 120fps will be the norm this gen. You are fucking high 🤣

1080p @120hz however

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Moogle11

Banned
Same. Great black levels for a FALD LED, no image retention (tv is mostly used for long gaming sessions, on ESPN for hours on end etc. and I get OCD about image retention) and being around $400 less than the Samsung Q80t that I was also considering at the time are why I bought the TV. 2.1 features are mostly moot for me as someone who opts for quality modes over higher FPS modes and doesn’t play competing or twitch games.

Can’t defend Sony here if they don’t add promised features as that’s BS. Just moot to me as I bought it not really caring one way or the other about those features. For $998 it was just a great value for a name brand, 65" 4K and HDR TV with pretty low input lag. That's all I really was after in my $1k or less budget.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Told ya

Are you saying the Sony X900H isn't future proofed/HDMI 2.1?

No it's not. Well, not yet, anyway.

DSA9T9k.png

So the X900H is the perfect TV for future proofing

Again, there is a difference between what is proven to exist now, and what is only written on paper as promises.

I think you're not seeing the difference between what's available to the consumer right now, what's already been demonstrated to work right now vs something that is only written down.

Reality vs theory.

You can play games in reality better than you can in theory.,

And that's the difference I'm getting at.

"should be enabled in the future" (Sony) vs. "it's enabled right now" (LG)

That is a pretty significant distinction for gamers who live in the present and look towards the future.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
STOP the FOMO 900H video

The 900H issue is really gaining some attention now.

Ha. That’s the guy that got me hyped for the X900H to begin with because it was by far the best value compared to anything else on the market.

What’s crazy is that even after all that I don’t think he was wrong. $1999 for a massive 85” TV during Black Friday with that quality of picture was a great value. The only other TVs that came close to that price at the 85 inch range were Samsung’s and LG’s bargain lines.

I’m pretty happy with mine and there’s just no way I’m taking down that huge 90+lb beast off the wall and hauling it all the way back to Bestbuy risking damage on the way.

Allandor

Damn Sony. The time I tried to trust you again, you kill the promised features damn.

Well I will try to get a full refund for my xh9005 (x900h) from my local retailer. The promised VRR features were the reasons why I decided to get this TV instead of another.

Rentahamster Rentahamster That soulzbourne fellow tried to tell me Smooth gradation and other processing on a sony tv created more input lag, lol nope. He deserves this tv if he bought it xD

I mean it's not the worst tv ever, it's still a Sony fald, but yeah. Pretty bad coming from them.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If you think 4k 120fps will be the norm this gen. You are fucking high 🤣

1080p @120hz however
They have already patched in 4k 120 fps support and it looks like shit. From what i understand, it looks as blurry as a 1080p image.

This is about the other HDMI 2.1 features like VRR which the ps5 needs badly for those dropped frames and tearing.

Also, I can already run most of the last gen games at over 60 fps on my rtx 2080 at native 4k. if i upgrade to a 3080 or any 4080 down the road, i should be able to game at native 4k 120 fps. this isnt just about consoles. Besides, if you select the 4k 120 fps mode on your tv, even if you run the game at 1440p 120 fps, you want the tv to upscale to 4k 120 fps instead of dropping down to 1080p.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They have already patched in 4k 120 fps support and it looks like shit. From what i understand, it looks as blurry as a 1080p image.

This is about the other HDMI 2.1 features like VRR which the ps5 needs badly for those dropped frames and tearing.

Also, I can already run most of the last gen games at over 60 fps on my rtx 2080 at native 4k. if i upgrade to a 3080 or any 4080 down the road, i should be able to game at native 4k 120 fps. this isnt just about consoles. Besides, if you select the 4k 120 fps mode on your tv, even if you run the game at 1440p 120 fps, you want the tv to upscale to 4k 120 fps instead of dropping down to 1080p.
I play cod CW on ps5 at 120hz.
it works pretty well.

but the resolution and details are so OBVIOUSLY lower then 4k 60
and destiny 2 is really rough at 120hz

Guy Legend

Sony is usually my go to brand to TV's but this is pretty lame. They should offer some sort of compensation if they can't get the product right.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sony TVs have been on a decline for nearly a decade now. Shame really. I still own a few but always have less features then a same class Samsung but cost way more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sony TVs have been on a decline for nearly a decade now. Shame really. I still own a few but always have less features then a same class Samsung but cost way more.

Not really? The E series a few years ago was great. Many people bought the X900E for gaming and have been very happy with it. I personally have an X930E, and it's still great. It's missing all the 2.1 stuff of course, so I'm starting to think about upgrading, but if it wasn't for that I would feel no need to replace it. Hoping the 2021 Sony sets get it right.

I was planning on buying the TV but from the looks of it... not anymore. Any other Flat screen that's ranges next gen gaming ready, aside from the expensive LG CX.

Shmunter

I’ve done a bit of looking into why VRR gives poor results. Seemingly this is why gsync exists.

Vrr is incapable of altering parameters of how a panel is driven. Panels are tuned for certain set frequencies, e.g. 24/60/120. using VRR when a frequency is constantly changing, the panel is out of wack with the fixed frequency setup, resulting in bad gamma, inverse ghosting, etc, etc.

This is where gsync comes in, it has the electronics to dynamically alter how the panel is driven in real-time to overcome the inherent issues with VRR.

In conclusion, I’m just not sure basic VRR can ever be acceptable to those that value picture quality. I’m at a loss of how this can be solved without using actual gsync.

Sony fully well knows this and are likely straddling between giving a clearly flawed feature vs not giving it. It’s amusing how DF who are supposedly ‘eyeball’ experts never raise the matter while basking in their VRR setups, they should be able to see it.

Last edited:

Allandor

I’ve done a bit of looking into why VRR gives poor results. Seemingly this is why gsync exists.

Vrr is incapable of altering parameters of how a panel is driven. Panels are tuned for certain set frequencies, e.g. 24/60/120. using VRR when a frequency is constantly changing, the panel is out of wack with the fixed frequency setup, resulting in bad gamma, inverse ghosting, etc, etc.

This is where gsync comes in, it has the electronics to dynamically alter how the panel is driven in real-time to overcome the inherent issues with VRR.

In conclusion, I’m just not sure basic VRR can ever be acceptable to those that value picture quality. I’m at a loss of how this can be solved without using actual gsync.

Sony fully well knows this and are likely straddling between giving a clearly flawed feature vs not giving it. It’s amusing how DF who are supposedly ‘eyeball’ experts never raise the matter while basking in their VRR setups, they should be able to see it.
Don't know what you want to make up here, freesync and VRR are already working quite well on other TVs. Yes it is always a problem to get all HDMI 2.1 features working at the same time, but at least VRR without Dolby Vision works well. With Dolby Vision it is another problem, but than there is Freesync Premium which would solve even this. Gsync is like many nvidia techs behind a paywall (in form of extra licensed hardware) and TV makers won't build it into their TVs. gsync is so "unwelcome" that even nvidia now supports most freesync monitors and just calls it gsync.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Just terrible business practice from Sony. This will be brought to court in a class action and they will lose. How can you trust a Sony TV going forward to have what it claimed it had?
This ain’t the first time Sony been in this situation. 2006 green blob

Jigga117

VRR works perfectly fine on Xbox one S/X Series X/S and PC with my LG OLED so what your saying ain’t it.

Shmunter

Last edited:
Glad I didn't pull the trigger on one of these last month as I was really close but decided to just buy a budget TV for the tv being until the features I want are more widespread (plus my overseas move was postponed with COVID but is still on the table and I'm obviously not shipping a TV to Asia).

My 5 Series will suit my needs for now.

Shmunter

Don't know what you want to make up here, freesync and VRR are already working quite well on other TVs. Yes it is always a problem to get all HDMI 2.1 features working at the same time, but at least VRR without Dolby Vision works well. With Dolby Vision it is another problem, but than there is Freesync Premium which would solve even this. Gsync is like many nvidia techs behind a paywall (in form of extra licensed hardware) and TV makers won't build it into their TVs. gsync is so "unwelcome" that even nvidia now supports most freesync monitors and just calls it gsync.
Does Freesync Premium fix lack of support for variable overdrive to go with the dynamic framerates? I don’t know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom