• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Playstation app hits 100 million installs five months after the launch of the PS5

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Any time an application hits 100 million installs on the Play Store, it's worth taking note. From podcast players to streaming services, it's a sign that an app has truly cemented its legacy on Android. It's not often that three apps reach this milestone all at once, but that's exactly what has happened today. PlayStation, myAT&T, and Moto Photo Editor have all earned their respective places in the Play Store hall of fame.
Obviously, PlayStation's mobile app is the most famous of the three. Designed as a partner service for the PS4 and PS5, it lets gamers connect with their friends, plan party sessions, and shop for new titles on the PlayStation Store.

cormack12

Gold Member
Makes sense, more sense that what they did by splitting functionality across 3 different apps. To be honest though the UI, messaging and store speed with integration on the PS5 has meant I've used it a lot less than the previous apps.

Saber

Gold Member
Not the best though. I was this close to delete the app for good but they decided to bring wish list back which is good.

Theres still much to do. Games still aren't named outside the picture of the game in question, making it difficult to understand if its a game or not.

Is the app/web site still the only way to add ps5 plus games to your account without owning a Ps5 console? End of April still no signs of a PS5 anywhere. None, nada, zip, zilch, zero.
Someone will manage to twist this into a bad new
Not really bad news but more irritating that the PS store can't integrate all the PS3-5/Vita into one thingamabob.

Didn’t like it at first, but it’s far more efficient than the previous version and I’m acclimating. Still not crazy about the UI or some of the appearance of trophy data, but it’s serviceable.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

App is great. Switch between consoles, browse, buy, download games. Delete a PS5 game if you don't have enough storage.

I actually do more from the app than I do from the store on console.

Elysion

Banned
100 million? That‘s a pretty high adoption rate, considering PS4 and PS5 together have sold around 130 million units (maybe a bit more?) This would mean the vast majority of PS owners have downloaded the app.

Mr Hyde

It's a great app and companion piece to the PS5. I use it for all sorts of things. Buying games, adding games to wishlist, checking trophies and news, downloading games. It's very versatile. Didn't think I was gonna use it much when I first downloaded it, but it's been quite a surprise to how good the app is.

SilentUser

It's a great app and companion piece to the PS5. I use it for all sorts of things. Buying games, adding games to wishlist, checking trophies and news, downloading games. It's very versatile. Didn't think I was gonna use it much when I first downloaded it, but it's been quite a surprise to how good the app is.
Same here. I wasn't expecting to use it but, in the end, it is a very useful tool when it comes to PlayStation.

Codes 208

What was it at before the PS5 launched? I’ve been using the app for awhile now to check messages and whatnot when I’m not at home

ManaByte

Gold Member
What was it at before the PS5 launched? I’ve been using the app for awhile now to check messages and whatnot when I’m not at home

Probably not much because the previous app was a piece of shit that used a web interface for the store.

reksveks

100 million? That‘s a pretty high adoption rate, considering PS4 and PS5 together have sold around 130 million units (maybe a bit more?) This would mean the vast majority of PS owners have downloaded the app.
Just remember that it's 100 million installs not unique users, I still think it's alot of users though.

Tripolygon

Banned
Didn't want to create a new thread but some needed features are being beta tested for PS App. The ability to download and share your PS5 recorded video from the PS App.

Your videos are now going to be auto uploaded to PSN servers temporarily for 2 weeks, free for all PS5 users, no PS+ required. There are some limits in place though like only 3 minutes 1080p resolution, and only screenshots captured with share button and menu, so no trophy triggered auto-captures.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Didn't want to create a new thread but some needed features are being beta tested for PS App. The ability to download and share your PS5 recorded video from the PS App.

Nice. This is the main thing I use the xbox app for as it's much easier than doing it on the console.

What app?
wazzup GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Your videos are now going to be auto uploaded to PSN servers temporarily for 2 weeks, free for all PS5 users, no PS+ required. There are some limits in place though like only 3 minutes 1080p resolution, and only screenshots captured with share button and menu, so no trophy triggered auto-captures.

I was looking for a thread on this, kinda think it deserves one. This is pretty damn big imo, since moving screenshots anywhere is such a damn chore the way it works now (and has worked ever since the feature was introduced on the PS4). It's so bad that I usually resort to just taking a photo of my TV when I want to quickly show something to a friend or whatever, which is just lol. This would remove that problem.

Markio128

I had one bugbear with the app, in that it would only operate in portrait mode, but now they have added landscape as well, so it gets my seal of approval. I actually use it quite often, to message friends, check trophies and browse the store. The Xbox one is decent to, however, I have no xbox friends haha*

* this is sadly true - since purchasing the series x I have zero buddies - is there a thread for friend begging because none of my actual real friend (lol) has an xbox?

FrankWza

I had one bugbear with the app, in that it would only operate in portrait mode, but now they have added landscape as well, so it gets my seal of approval. I actually use it quite often, to message friends, check trophies and browse the store. The Xbox one is decent to, however, I have no xbox friends haha*

* this is sadly true - since purchasing the series x I have zero buddies - is there a thread for friend begging because none of my actual real friend (lol) has an xbox?
You can also use the app to talk to international friends on your phone as long as you’re not signed in on the console

Lognor

Banned
Aren't stats like his misleading I mean you can download this and play for 5 min decide its not for you and never play again but still be counted in that 100 mil, it's not like 100 million people are playing this game app.

Top Bottom