• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan to GameIndustry.biz: "We are starting to go multiplatform"

Godot25

Banned
It's so funny to see, how Microsoft is setting trends while being third in "console race"
First to bring their games to PC day one. Sony will obviously follow
First to provide complex subscription service with new games to play. Spartacuuuuuuus
First to have their own first-party games in subscription service day one. It's just matter of time for Sony

And even more funny is seeing PlayStation fans that need to adjust their fanboyism. At first they had an aneurysm to just think about subscription services and their first-party games on PC. Now it's just good, because it's business.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I welcome PS games day one on PC but I feel like people are jumping the gun a bit. It's entirely possible day one wont be the case.

Allandor

I welcome PS games day one on PC but I feel like people are jumping the gun a bit. It's entirely possible day one wont be the case.
"Day one" will not happen. They will focus to get things done on Playstation and than later port it to the PC. After all, the consoles and PCs are more or less the same since the last generation. So nothing speaks against "quick" ports. Yes, games tend to be more power-hungry on PC, but that is totally fine, as long as they are still enjoyable.

I guess part of the problem is that they can't produce enough consoles while game development get's increasingly more expensive. So they need an extra source of income to compensate or they don't want to leave the money behind they can get with the extra sales on PC.

Brofist

If they are serious about their commitment they’ll go day 1 on PC. If they are content with half assing it then they won’t

yurinka

If they are serious about their commitment they’ll go day 1 on PC. If they are content with half assing it then they won’t
Bungie games will continue being day 1 on PC. Not PS Studios (maybe yes in some exception like some remaster/remake, or who knows if in some F2P/GaaS).

Their main revenue source is selling both 1st and 3rd party games for PS, so they need to continue having exclusive stuff there to sell it.

Last edited:
Will they bring the sacred cow to PC that is Gran Turismo any time soon?

I'm not expecting it so once this game is out I'll have to get a PS5 somehow and don't want to pay silly money or spend time with bots and discord games. If I can't order one from the usual places I won't bother so GT7 on PC soon would save a lot of hassle.

yurinka

It's so funny to see, how Microsoft is setting trends while being third in "console race"
Even if being the last ones, they may have some good idea that others may learn from/copy. They are not the only ones who copy stuff/learn from others, everybody does it.

Will they bring the sacred cow to PC that is Gran Turismo any time soon?
Seems that they will buy multiplatform publishers that will continue being multiplatform, but they will keep their PS Studios focused on PS, their main revenue source. So Bungie games will be on PC day one but PS Studios games not, at least for now.

They generate way more revenue and profit by porting only some of them instead of all, and to do it once these games sold all the units they could on console after discounts and price cuts and also having including them on their game subscriptions. So if games like GT Sports or GT7 end released on PC will be some years after their PS release.

This is Sony's strategy.

First to provide complex subscription service with new games to play. Spartacuuuuuuus
PS Now was released in 2014. They will 'copy from Gamepass' this year things they already announced for the long term plans of PS Now back in 2014, like to release it for phones, tablets and tvs or to put there games from all their generations.

What they seem that will copy it's what's seems to be a PS Now tier without the cloud gaming, which I assume will allow this tier available worldwide, unlike the cloud gaming one (so a base GP tier), plus to merge/bunding this service with their online MP+monthly games service. Same case as in GP.

First to have their own first-party games in subscription service day one. It's just matter of time for Sony
Sony won't do it because they generate more revenue and profit by including them once they sold all the console units they could after discounts etc.

And even more funny is seeing PlayStation fans that need to adjust their fanboyism.
It isn't as funny as seeing MS fans acting as if MS would be the market leader in consoles and game subscription. It reminds me the days of Kinect.

Last edited:

boomcrab

I just hopped into this thread for the first time and y'all really think Sonys going full third party? Lol
I'm pretty sure he just means pc, with exception to bungie and San Diego for obvious reasons. The bungie acquisition could be the start of a new trend for future purchases being multiplatform. Sonys not treating them like they're part of WWS, and might do the same if they acquire other publishers. This thought that they're just gonna stop making consoles is just silly though. Calm down lol

hussar16

Well of course with a ps now like service they can be on every platform and make huge money.but being a subrsicption only service is not a good idea. Other competitors might come out and take your chunk.if anything Sony should be console specific until at least 2030

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Imagine returnal enemies in Destiny? Atropos world in Destiny would be amazing.

I would really, really love that. Destiny is supposed to be centuries after Returnal, so finding Selene's body there and some records could be nice! Also the monsters are unique enough to make it a worthy planet to explore!

It can also entice people outside PS into getting PS5 + Returnal.

Roxkis_ii

Really now..

Does any evidence of this exist outside of your mind?

According to Google, PSNow launched in in 2014 in the US

Sony's not desperate enough to have to devalue their first party games.

And even more funny is seeing PlayStation fans that need to adjust their fanboyism. At first they had an aneurysm to just think about subscription services and their first-party games on PC. Now it's just good, because it's business.

It sounds like you need to take your own advise.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I want her in PC and Nintendo Switch.

FKrL_AZaQAETL1n
FKrL_AZakAArU60

Menzies

Banned
Really now..
I would say the following moves have been a 'us too' approach in response to what Microsoft has been doing; -

- Billion-dollar studio acquisitions
- Project Spartacus
- GaaS - 10 live service games by 2026
- Multi-platform / “available anywhere”
- Games releasing on PC

Does any evidence of this exist outside of your mind?
If Sony release a Gamepass competitor that does not include day 1 games it's being sent out to die. There would be little to no point in the whole rebranding of this service as the community will rubbish it in comparisons.
Sony's not desperate enough to have to devalue their first party games.
Yet seemingly desperate to shift gears from their previous strengths and try to respond to what Microsoft is doing?

At the moment Microsoft appear to be dictating the game, the home-ground, and the direction, while Sony is gleefully showing up with the oranges.

Print this.

In the near future, Sony will have its own launcher on PC for unified achievements with the Playstation ecosystem (as Microsoft already does) and of course, have 100% of the profits from the sale of games.

I didn't know PCMRs could cry this much and this loud begging for day one PS studios game extravaganza, but it seems they can. Cry more cause day 1 is not happening.

Fredrik

Print this.

In the near future, Sony will have its own launcher on PC for unified achievements with the Playstation ecosystem (as Microsoft already does) and of course, have 100% of the profits from the sale of games.
Hopefully while still doing Steam releases too with Steam Deck optimized settings 👌

Fredrik

I didn't know PCMRs could cry this much and this loud begging for day one PS studios game extravaganza, but it seems they can. Cry more cause day 1 is not happening.
PCMR? If you look close you’ll see that PS gamers are among those talking here, simply tired of double dipping because of late releases. I wouldn’t be surprised if 50% of those who buy the PC releases has already played the games on PS.

IDWhite

Not all games are gonna be ported to PC. Ps5 will continue to have exclusives, otherwise they are gonna lose the appealing to buy a console and paid his subscription service. The money they can make in one way could be lost from another.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not all games are gonna be ported to PC. Ps5 will continue to have exclusives, otherwise they are gonna lose the appealing to buy a console and paid his subscription service. The money they can make in one way could be lost from another.
For the “all new Sony games to be Day One PC multiplatform titles” crowd… Unless they plan to go toe to toe on PC with a GamePass competitor, Sony is not likely to trade their own titles getting some extra money on PC with the risk of pushing people to PC (PS5 supply issues are forcing a detour, not sure it is permanent).

Why? A LOT of the money they make on software and services comes from third party royalties and people playing those third party games outside of their PlayStation ecosystem do not give a dime to Sony.

Last edited:

Brofist

The heads of your loved company are thirsting for that PC gamer’s $$, I think you have this reversed.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yeah, this seems to be the last console generation for both Playstation and Xbox.

Hope Nintendo keeps making hardware though.

There will probably always be hardware until
A- Streaming is strong enough and everyone has access to it ( not yet )
B- PC hardware is so small it can fit in a Phone or TV to play high end games.

Until then consoles will be made

Haggard

Banned
B- PC hardware is so small it can fit in a Phone or TV to play high end games.

That is something that will never happen.
Mobile doesn`t work because of physics and being a TV-add on would be a massive cost factor. High end will always be expensive and power hungry.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Every console generation there’s a wave of geniuses saying it’s the last one.

I wonder, is it because you’re young and ignorant or your old and tired?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think like 20% of my reputation score is from laughing smilies when i used to say about why it would be good for Sony if they released their games on PC, and it happened.
I have also got endless smilies when i said numerous times that by the end of the gen Sony will be releasing their games on PC day and date. Well it seems i was wrong about that, its probably going to happen years before the end of the gen lol.
I remember.

Xbox one games coming to pc:
Lol why buy a xbox when I can play all the games on my 4k usd gaming machine.

PS games releasing on pc:
Oh nice to see more people being able to play these great games. Still buy a PS5 though it has an awesome ssd.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We have to think logically, chip shortages aren’t going anywhere for the next two years or so. Unless demand across the board drops like a rock.

sony will have to move on from PS4 if games stop selling there and more if the fan base moves to next gen, ps5 or Xbox, pc. So Sonys only option is to support services more and PC/ multiplatform with certain games like destiny and MLB. they have to make numbers up because they have literally ramped up staffing at their major studios based on the quality and sales numbers that they were delivering on PS4. If they can’t continue to drive those same kinds of sales they literally can’t support the costs of the studios. They have literally have no option but to look outside of their usual exclusive console segment.

it will pay off for them massively if they support PC sooner rather than later, and make Spartacus a compelling option.

Andodalf

Banned
We have to think logically, chip shortages aren’t going anywhere for the next two years or so. Unless demand across the board drops like a rock.

sony will have to move on from PS4 if games stop selling there and more if the fan base moves to next gen, ps5 or Xbox, pc. So Sonys only option is to support services more and PC/ multiplatform with certain games like destiny and MLB. they have to make numbers up because they have literally ramped up staffing at their major studios based on the quality and sales numbers that they were delivering on PS4. If they can’t continue to drive those same kinds of sales they literally can’t support the costs of the studios. They have literally have no option but to look outside of their usual exclusive console segment.

it will pay off for them massively if they support PC sooner rather than later, and make Spartacus a compelling option.

The next Sony First Party title that doesn't launch on PS4 will launch of PC.

Kokoloko85

That is something that will never happen.
Mobile doesn`t work because of physics and being a TV-add on would be a massive cost factor. High end will always be expensive and power hungry.

Yep, until we come up with some new crazy quantum computing tech in like a 100 years lol

Top Bottom