• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan to GameIndustry.biz: "We are starting to go multiplatform"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Definitely holding off on a PS5 now. Almost regret buying a Series X at this point. I literally don't play on the console anymore these days. It's more of a backup in case my PC shit's the bed.
You can probably sell it for a profit.

But it does. You don't even know how.
You cannot code to the metal. You have to design the game with limitation of gtx 1060 in mind. It has to scale

Most PC games nowadays running dated last gen games require the 1060. When stuff like the Matrix starts to come out, those requirements will increase. No dev gives a shit about optimising for low end PC cards.

Sony pretty much reminds me of Microsoft now... corporate, profit first focus with western blockbuster type games taking center stage. I see the uniqueness of Sony with games like gravity rush, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus slowly disappearing. Sony is pretty much a western company now. Jim Ryan is someone who will make shareholders happy, at least in the short term, but the uniqueness of the Sony brand is being diminished overall.
Well said. It's a depressing state of affairs. The worst thing is that they are making more profit now in one year than they did in the entire PS2 generation, and they are throwing it all away to chase Microsoft who completely dropped the ball last gen. Going multiplatform did not make MS the industry leader in sales nor revenue. Gamepass did not help them sell more xbox consoles or more games. Their revenue is still $10 billion short of Playstation's. Sony didnt need GaaS, or multiplats, or Gamepass. They succeeded this gen by focusing on high quality first party exclusives, focusing on games instead of TV or gimmicks like the move, and traditional gaming model of selling physical copies of games alongside selling them digitally with PS+ subs.

Why throw away what brought you success is beyond me.

rofif

Banned
You can probably sell it for a profit.

Most PC games nowadays running dated last gen games require the 1060. When stuff like the Matrix starts to come out, those requirements will increase. No dev gives a shit about optimising for low end PC cards.

Well said. It's a depressing state of affairs. The worst thing is that they are making more profit now in one year than they did in the entire PS2 generation, and they are throwing it all away to chase Microsoft who completely dropped the ball last gen. Going multiplatform did not make MS the industry leader in sales nor revenue. Gamepass did not help them sell more xbox consoles or more games. Their revenue is still $10 billion short of Playstation's. Sony didnt need GaaS, or multiplats, or Gamepass. They succeeded this gen by focusing on high quality first party exclusives, focusing on games instead of TV or gimmicks like the move, and traditional gaming model of selling physical copies of games alongside selling them digitally with PS+ subs.

Why throw away what brought you success is beyond me.
yes it isproven that 1060 is equivalent to ps4 speed despite being about 2x raw faster. That's what coding to metal on ps4 did

Haggard

Banned
yes it isproven that 1060 is equivalent to ps4 speed despite being about 2x raw faster. That's what coding to metal on ps4 did
Bullshit ..... Just like the rest of your secret sauce nonsense.
More than a decade of yt tech analysis content showing exactly how Devs do their scaling and we still have this retarded secret sauce myth...

Last edited:
A lot of people who denied this day would come, PC and PS5 releases, eventually simultaneous releases, are now suddenly acting like this was natural and to be expected. Not what many of them have been saying for many years and even months now. It was still being denied as recently as late last year.

rofif

Banned
Bullshit .....
Not at all. Look at god of war... 1080p original settings is about 45fps on average on 1060. Should be at least 60 on 1060 if it was twice the power.
ps4 = 2TF = 35fps
3080 - 30TF... not 500fps. (more like 150)
It's was always like that. The hardware scales only up to some point and it's not 100% used on pc

Stuart360 Stuart360 depends on the game. But usually it is not 2x faster

Last edited:

FStubbs

Definitely holding off on a PS5 now. Almost regret buying a Series X at this point. I literally don't play on the console anymore these days. It's more of a backup in case my PC shit's the bed.
If I'm sure Square-Enix and Falcom will bring everything to PC, I don't know if I'll ever need a PS5.

Haggard

Banned
Not at all. Look at god of war... 1080p original settings is about 45fps on average on 1060. Should be at least 60 on 1060 if it was twice the power.
ps4 = 2TF = 35fps
It's was always like that. The hardware scales only up to some point and it's not 100% used on pc

Oh god.....

K. Whatever. I'm definitely not having a tech discussion with you.
You are totally right if that makes you happy...

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Oh god.....

K. Whatever. I'm definitely not having a tech discussion with you.
You are totally right if that makes you happy...
I am trolling you a bit. Of course we do not multiply fps x15 ....
But statement that 1060 is better than ps4 is also not entirely true. It's similar

Stuart360

ps4 = 2TF = 35fps

Well like you said, it depends on the game, and i'd guesss a PS exclusive that has been coded for one machine, and designed to push that console hard, yeah there may be stuff like that. For a lot of multiplatform games though, a 1060 can match the OneX.
Putting 'Xbox OneX vs GTX1060' on Youtube will bring up a ton of comparisons.

Plus its more like 45-60fps on 1060, with it hanging around the low 50's most of the time -

Technically yes the 1060 should be able to 60fps the game no problem on 'Orig settings'.

DrAspirino

Banned
So you agreed with me lol. Is the exact same thing I just said.
Erhmm... nope. Playstation ecosystem =! Playstation console.

Playstation ecosystem = Playstation console + PS plus + PSNow + games + Playstation PC + Playstation accesories (VR headset, gamepads, etc).

If the ecosystem relies entirely on the Playstation console, then the whole equation falls off when they "kill it" (somewhere in the far future), and the so called "ecosystem" wasn't a strong one to begin with.

If, for any reason, Microsoft decides that there will be no "next xbox" in hardware (as we know it today), they could still add an "xbox mode" to every single Windows PC with certain hardware specs and call it a day, because they have the "xbox ecosystem".

Heck, for years Apple didn't give a f*ck (and still doesn't) if you install macOS on a hackintosh (being them a hardware vendor first and foremost), because they know that their software and services (and also the "brand" recognition) are why people stick with them and give them tons of money. They know that if you have a regular PC and install macOS, sooner rather than later you'll wind up giving money to them via an iPhone or an iPad or even software (like Final Cut pro).

...and THAT'S where Sony is trying to get.

Well like you said, it depends on the game, and i'd guesss a PS exclusive that has been coded for one machine, and designed to push that console hard, yeah there may be stuff like that. For a lot of multiplatform games though, a 1060 can match the OneX.
Putting 'Xbox OneX vs GTX1060' on Youtube will bring up a ton of comparisons.

Plus its more like 45-60fps on 1060, with it hanging around the low 50's most of the time -

Technically yes the 1060 should be able to 60fps the game no problem on 'Orig settings'.

The reason god of war isn’t as good as it should be at god of war is lack of driver optimization for pascal gpu drivers at this point ; we need to compare games on ps4 with games of the 1060’s era.

SlimySnake

Nah. the 1060 is running god of war at 2x framerate. And thats like the worst port ever.

The 1060 and the 970 before it are cards that offered 2x more performance consistently in games at higher settings than PS4. The cards are only being left behind now because devs dont give a shit and only optimize for consoles. They will continue to do that next gen when games are finally using UE5 and producing next gen visuals. At that point, the 1060 will not be the base. 2070 Super for standard rasterized games or 2060 Super for ray traced games. And even then no one will optimize for those GPUs because PC gamers dont play games at 30 fps.

Haggard

Banned
Yes, but at what cost? If the console becomes an after-thought is it really PlayStation at that point?
A good game is a good game no matter the brand logo it boasts.
No normal consumer cares.
All the consoles are good for is setting the minimal hardware standard and making this point of entry affordable to lure people into the ecosystem of the respective platform owner which can be done in other ways, too. Everything else is just marketing and PR including everything you believe to be "PayStation".

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Playstation Console = PC, it has been foreshadowed eons ago.

Can we now put to bed the cope that Sony were only releasing GoW, HZD etc on PC in order to entice PC owners to then buy a PS5 to play the sequels? Now that everyone has heard it from the horses mouth, that argument no longer holds water. Thanks for confirming Jimbo!

Don't worry, there are some people who will (desperately) try to spin that one as well. They just know better than Ryan himself.

Last edited:

Kazza

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about NeoGAF culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on ResetEra, where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on NeoGAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the NeoGAF public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PlayStation 5, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and make all first party titles EXCLUSIVE or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about NeoGAF culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on ResetEra, where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on NeoGAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the NeoGAF public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PlayStation 5, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and make all first party titles EXCLUSIVE or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Animated GIF

Sony pretty much reminds me of Microsoft now... corporate, profit first focus with western blockbuster type games taking center stage. I see the uniqueness of Sony with games like gravity rush, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus slowly disappearing. Sony is pretty much a western company now. Jim Ryan is someone who will make shareholders happy, at least in the short term, but the uniqueness of the Sony brand is being diminished overall.
Your obsession with Japan doesn't make much sense.

Those games didn't perform well and in some cases cost quite a bit (Last Guardian). The home market has shrunk due to the adoption of MOBA and a great number of games that used to perform there no longer do.

Japan is dead as a console gaming region and too much investment in it (i.e. outweighed) just so you can scratch your japan itch makes no sense...

Dream-Knife

Banned
ps4 = 2TF = 35fps

It's a bad port. All "big" pc games in the last year have been pretty bad honestly.

Playstation ecosystem = Playstation console + PS plus + PSNow + games + Playstation PC + Playstation accesories (VR headset, gamepads, etc).

If the ecosystem relies entirely on the Playstation console, then the whole equation falls off when they "kill it" (somewhere in the far future), and the so called "ecosystem" wasn't a strong one to begin with.

If, for any reason, Microsoft decides that there will be no "next xbox" in hardware (as we know it today), they could still add an "xbox mode" to every single Windows PC with certain hardware specs and call it a day, because they have the "xbox ecosystem".

Heck, for years Apple didn't give a f*ck (and still doesn't) if you install macOS on a hackintosh (being them a hardware vendor first and foremost), because they know that their software and services (and also the "brand" recognition) are why people stick with them and give them tons of money. They know that if you have a regular PC and install macOS, sooner rather than later you'll wind up giving money to them via an iPhone or an iPad or even software (like Final Cut pro).

That’s the only ecosystem they have. What else do they have that ties you to use their products when you will be able to play the games and use the services anywhere? Do you think Netflix has an ecosystem? No they don’t..

SlimySnake

I am sorry but your Apple example is weird because you mention the iPhone and the iPad. Both are hardware sold by Apple using a closed ecosystem. Hell, they even got sued by Microsoft and Epic recently because of their walled garden console like appraoch to cellphone eco systems.

Sony used to know this. I have no idea whats going on at that company right now.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Why are they making the PlayStation console less relevant and removing incentives to buy one (which they ARE, through several of their actions) if they don't want to sacrifice that revenue? It makes no sense. The only logical answer is that they see their future revenue coming from elsewhere.

Are they making PlayStation less relevant, though? Right now their talk just seems to suggest specific GaaS-style titles being multiplat under subsidiaries like Bungie, and looking to bring more PS 1P games (which will inevitably include PS5 ones) to PC after some period of time after they've been out on the home console. We don't even know if that will be for ALL of their 1P or just certain 1P releases.

Meanwhile it seems the only 1P that will be going Day and Date to PC outside of subsidiary-controlled releases, will probably be other MP-centric, live service games like TLOU2 Factions. They've not actually said anything about Factions of this ilk; I'm just expecting it to go Day-and-Date on PC at this point because why not?

Those things don't really severely impact the incentive to buy a PlayStation, IMHO. What WOULD, though, is bringing all 1P games Day-and-Date to PC. But I seriously don't expect that until they establish their own storefront and launcher on PC that can be monetized through subscription perks, where they can keep 100% of the revenue for 1P games, and where they can effectively offset a "lost" console sale (of which they don't make a TON of money off hardware anyway, even if they are profitable) through one of the subscriptions. Plus over time, a storefront & launcher on PC works out to be a cheaper operating cost than manufacturing millions of consoles anyway.

Another thing I mentioned is that mid-gen refreshes were exclusive to last gen only. I don't think Sony is going to invest in mid-gen refreshes at this point when software is more important and more lucrative. I can see "slim" versions with updated HD space, etc.. but nothing that would be a significant change to the hardware.

Do you think mid-gen refreshes can still be viable if they keep the same general performance profile as the base consoles, but upgrade the featuresets to support things that RDNA 3 or 4 might support, such as better RT and image upscaling techniques?

Sony has more or less dominated the market since they came on the scene, yet they've seen companies around them absolutely grow at a staggering rate

Valve
Electronic Arts
Activision
Epic Games

Sony's (not playstation's) entire market cap is 160 billion dollars

EA alone is worth 36 billion.
Tencent bought into Epic Games for a SONG

Sony was really slow to come to grips with being a major software developer on top of a hardware manufacturer. Very slow.

Once they embraced it, they got a taste for the money and have been very successful, but they were slow in realizing other aspects of that like putting games on PC or GaaS to even larger storefronts.

Take2 and CD Projekt are the two most strategic major acquisitions Sony could look to make in order to become the service and software-oriented company they are looking to become and some level of multiplatform i.e. PC and mobile makes a lot of sense, and yes even some support for Xbox and Nintendo platforms.

This idea that by having a game be exclusive that you're going to get system sellers is not all that realistic in the larger scheme of things. There are xbox owners who will never buy ps and ps owners who will never buy xbox. Same goes for Nintendo.

If Nintendo put Mario kart on Xbox and PS5 it would probably outsell the switch versions when combined. Imagine leaving that much money on the table. The thing is, it probably wouldn't greatly impact Switch sales at all. At worse someone who owns a switch and an xbox or ps would buy the xbox/ps version, but they're still going to have their switch.

Obviously you want to promote your console due to royalties, but there is a lot more money to be had here ultimately.

I think also fueling this approach is that even in their peak year of revenue for the division, 1P games accounted for less than 20% of that revenue. I wonder what the profits from 1P games that year were compared to previous years; it's possible the revenue may've been noticeably higher but net profits "only" marginally higher, for example.

PC WINS comments are getting out of hand and sound strange to me.

PC hasn't been getting any real PC centric games for a long, long time in AAA space (and we're talkng about that here). Not a single game since Crysis from 2007 (15 years ago) was made to be PC only/pc first. Don't mention indies, that's a different game entirely.

It is nice to be able to play more console games on PC, but as an old school PC gamer, I wouldn't celebrate that too much. Just a glance over famous successful pc years tells a lot. Today you can't even imagine playing most of the games you're talking about without a controller, that's how pc centric they are.

Getting very expensive PC to play games designed for console hardware and controllers isn't that hot IMO. Playing some true PC classics like we had in the past would be.

This is actually kind of a good point; AAA games developed with the PC market in mind haven't seemingly been that plentiful over the past few years, unless things like VALORANT and LOL count as AAA (and they might, because their budgets are pretty huge). Flight Simulator 2020 would also count IMO, when considering the production values present in that game.

But it's true that otherwise, most of PC's AAA games are really console AAA games with PC ports. That said, console AAA space essentially became the PC AAA space anyway with the 360/PS3 era IMHO; that's when many of the major PC-centric developers (who might've been cutting their teeth on console prior, primarily on the original Xbox) made the jump to prioritize console AAA gaming. It coincided with Western studios finally supplanting Japanese devs in the AAA scene, too, as far as which ones were the biggest sellers and revenue generators.

So if anything I'd say it was consoles that ceded to the PC scene, especially for a little while, when it came to the AAA space because a huge amount of the big AAA games from 2005 going almost a decade, came from originally PC-centric developers who started to embrace consoles. That's where most of the game design innovations where coming from and, like was said before, it was arguably happening even earlier back with the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox (but primarily Xbox) gen, it's just that Japanese devs (the vast majority with roots in console and/or arcades) still ruled the roost.

I'd say from 2015-onward, though, there's been a reestablishment of some balance between Western and Japanese 3P studios driving AAA gaming ahead (I'm not talking 1P studios here, obviously). Would still say Western studios are the primary drivers, but Japanese 3P devs definitely regained ground from 2015 and onward today, when you look at games like Monster Hunter, Resident Evil 2/3/8, Final Fantasy VII Remake, etc. And if you want to just extend that to Eastern 3P teams in particular, there's stuff like Geshin Impact, etc.

What's with 3P?? ffs they are a platform holder, with actual hw in market, they are a console manufacturer and owner of a lot of first party studios producing software for those consoles, they also publish games like CoD in Japan is the most extreme I can give as an example, they started publishing their own games on PC platform... 3rd party??? WTH

Okay I admit: I'm lost.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

Gamers win

I love it

This will only make Sonys branding more powerful since PC players will now experience Greatness in 4K 60FPS !

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
That’s the only ecosystem they have. What else do they have that ties you to use their products when you will be able to play the games and use the services anywhere? Do you think Netflix has an ecosystem? No they don’t..
Actually, they do: you can play Netflix even on an android-based fridge if you really want to.

So...just to be clear: are you saying that the Playstation ecosystem isn't strong enough to hold itself if you remove the console from the equation? because by that logic, what's important isn't software or services, but the console per-se.

Last edited:

kevm3

Your obsession with Japan doesn't make much sense.

Those games didn't perform well and in some cases cost quite a bit (Last Guardian). The home market has shrunk due to the adoption of MOBA and a great number of games that used to perform there no longer do.

Japan is dead as a console gaming region and too much investment in it (i.e. outweighed) just so you can scratch your japan itch makes no sense...
And that was the difference between then and now. Even though games like gravity Rush, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus weren't the most profitable, Sony still made them. They took some of the budget and made games for arts sake and now it's only looking for the blockbuster

I find it funny how people didn't see some sort of change coming. Props to Sony for changing with the times and adapting to do what they need to grow the business. Just doing the same old thing never got anyone a new experience.

Anyway, the flip in attitude is no surprising to see, before we saw:

MS: "We are going to publish Day1 first part titles on PC"
Sony GAF: See they are going multiplatform in the next 5 years! This is the last console generation for Xbox

Sony: "We are starting to go multiplatform"
Sony GAF: They don't mean that, they mean PC
Not to mention “Sony don’t need to do anything! Just keep making great gamez!! Market leader!!!”

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why do people care so much about console hardware anyway? It’s not like the PS2 or PS3 anymore, where you had exotic custom hardware and it was a real treat to play games that were built specifically around its strengths.

Nowadays consoles are just budget gaming PCs, and all game engines are cross-platform and can scale from smartphone all the way to high end PC.

Who gives a shit if a game is exclusive? All that means now is that other people don’t get to play it. It’s not like it makes the game any more special.

Why do people care so much about console hardware anyway? It’s not like the PS2 or PS3 anymore, where you had exotic custom hardware and it was a real treat to play games that were built specifically around its strengths.

Nowadays consoles are just budget gaming PCs, and all game engines are cross-platform and can scale from smartphone all the way to high end PC.

Who gives a shit if a game is exclusive? All that means now is that other people don’t get to play it. It’s not like it makes the game any more special.

Cause we like to play consoles of fookin course

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Being exclusive has a certain clout to it. It makes the fans feel that the title is special, a justification to own the console, and that it is specifically tailored for the console and thus wouldn’t work on other platforms.

Which is stupid of course, considering even games like God of War are now on PC.

As the days go by, it seems like Sony is slowly becoming Microsoft 2.0. I don’t understand why Sony is literally copying everything Microsoft when they are doing so good and even leading the industry.

Yeah, I know it’s all about profits, but I don’t think this is doing any favors for the PS5 hardware. Did I hear 10 live service games are in development? Like we need more over-saturating the market if this is true. Not everything can be Fortnite Sony. Hopefully this won’t take attention away from their single player games.

We know about their PC strategy already and I bet day one PC games are coming, but what does multiplatform mean exactly? I doubt it’s just mobile because they are not really in competition. XBOX? Gamepass? PC day one? Spartacus on PC and XBOX?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Do you think mid-gen refreshes can still be viable if they keep the same general performance profile as the base consoles, but upgrade the featuresets to support things that RDNA 3 or 4 might support, such as better RT and image upscaling techniques?
Nope. You can't upgrade the featuresets without changing the graphics card architecture.

Mabdia

Well... soon day one on PC. The good thing about that is that I'll be able to play Playstation games on my PC instead of have a closed plataform. Thanks a lot Sony and Ryam. Both of you managed to sell me a PC instead a console for the fist time in almost 27 years.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Not one like on the op from usual suspects. But they'd be dropping "🔥🤣👍" if it was Xbox lol.

Interesting turn of events we have. Day one pc launch is what I make of this tho, nothing more.... maybe even switch ports.

This may be the last console generation.
Nope. Not gonna happen unless Microsoft does it.

Topher

Gold Member
Not to mention “Sony don’t need to do anything! Just keep making great gamez!! Market leader!!!”

Making great games is a worthy goal and something real gamers should embrace. Who gives a shit if Microsoft buys Activision and Activision continues to make shit games?

If you are worried about who the "market leader" is then do you really care about the games at all?

Last edited:

MikeM

Currently there seems to exist some sort of "race" towards game streaming.

Amazon, Google, Sony and Microsoft are the companies that want to be the "Netflix" of gaming. They want to push people towards cloud streaming in the long run.
It's cheaper for them to mantain a long running service than to have to convince people every single generation to buy their hardware. Instead, "subscribe yearly to our service and play from the convenience of your phone or smart TV!"

Personally I dislike the idea, but when multiple corporations invest a lot of money towards one goal, it's difficult for the industry to head towards the opposite direction.

Nintendo was always known for not giving a damn for whatever is trending, so there might still be hope.
Imagine trying to play COD online streaming? Lol i’d love to see the “pro gamers” be forced into that.

NickFire

Once again Sony follows MS strategy.
It feels that way. But that’s not always a bad thing. Ive long felt that way about my IPhones features, but I can’t stop buying IPhones when it’s time to upgrade because it always feel refined even if a little behind tech wise.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Another thing I mentioned is that mid-gen refreshes were exclusive to last gen only. I don't think Sony is going to invest in mid-gen refreshes at this point when software is more important and more lucrative. I can see "slim" versions with updated HD space, etc.. but nothing that would be a significant change to the hardware.
Makes sense, but if the chip shortages increase the lifespan of the console artificially, I can see them making a slimmer, cheaper version in order to take advantage of that.
Have been saying this for quite awhile as these release windows get shorter and shorter as its just warmer people up to the idea.

They didnt make Playstation PC for 3 year old ports
Amen to that, my brother. I don't think PC ports are hurting the ps brand at all.

Just a matter of time till day one on pc arrives. That's my guess.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How am I wrong? What does Sony gain by continuing to manufacture consoles at this point?

30% from every 3rd party game, PS+. This is the biggest revenue for PS. PS+ is double GP members with much less content = more profit margin. So far PS Plus is still the biggest subscription in gaming by a massive gap.

Top Bottom