• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan to GameIndustry.biz: "We are starting to go multiplatform"

Wizz-Art

People think Sony is going to start releasing their games on Xbox. LOL.
8ZyuaON.jpg
Mw8iW5y.jpg
gY6opLh.gif

kevm3

Considering the fact that the 'chip shortage' wont end any time soon, I feel like this is a necessity. They're not going to develop huge budget games and release them only on a console that nobody can even buy.

My PC is happy. More options, the better. However, I hardly think playstation will bring their games to xbox (excluding something like MLB the show). Still, I think day one for new games is a pipe dream right now, maybe something like in 6 months.

Sony has more or less dominated the market since they came on the scene, yet they've seen companies around them absolutely grow at a staggering rate

Valve
Electronic Arts
Activision
Epic Games

Sony's (not playstation's) entire market cap is 160 billion dollars

EA alone is worth 36 billion.
Tencent bought into Epic Games for a SONG

Sony was really slow to come to grips with being a major software developer on top of a hardware manufacturer. Very slow.

Once they embraced it, they got a taste for the money and have been very successful, but they were slow in realizing other aspects of that like putting games on PC or GaaS to even larger storefronts.

Take2 and CD Projekt are the two most strategic major acquisitions Sony could look to make in order to become the service and software-oriented company they are looking to become and some level of multiplatform i.e. PC and mobile makes a lot of sense, and yes even some support for Xbox and Nintendo platforms.

This idea that by having a game be exclusive that you're going to get system sellers is not all that realistic in the larger scheme of things. There are xbox owners who will never buy ps and ps owners who will never buy xbox. Same goes for Nintendo.

If Nintendo put Mario kart on Xbox and PS5 it would probably outsell the switch versions when combined. Imagine leaving that much money on the table. The thing is, it probably wouldn't greatly impact Switch sales at all. At worse someone who owns a switch and an xbox or ps would buy the xbox/ps version, but they're still going to have their switch.

Obviously you want to promote your console due to royalties, but there is a lot more money to be had here ultimately.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I dont think so, and at the end of the day Sony bought Nixes for port duties, so don't expect Naughty Dog for example to develop for PC.

It's the best of both worlds, having a dedicated studio for ports.
When Naughty Dog make a game they literally make it on a PC that emulates the PS4/PS5 specs.

DaGwaphics

They are, little by little, removing the incentive to buy a PlayStation. Why would they be doing that if they still thought the console was important for them? Selling consoles isn't how they make money, it's from what people then spend on those consoles. If they wanted to keep it that way, why would they be working so hard at making it irrelevant? Seems to me like the plan is something completely different, something closer to them actually going "3rd party". And it might be caused by them realizing they simply cannot outspend MS on stuff like Game Pass and acquisitions. So they buy Bungie to get some GaaS expertise in-house, and that's the future we're heading towards. A future where Sony is just another Ubisoft. *shudders*

Sounds like an over reaction. I think the sales of Xbox Series and the PS5 will all but guarantee that consoles will be around for quite a while yet. These companies need a cost effective platform to run the cloud from anyway, so why not.

You can do more than one thing at once. When Disney made Wanda Vision it didn't result in them quitting marvel movies. It's not an all or nothing situation. You can do console, you can do PC, you can do Mobile, you can do cloud, and you can do it all at the same time.

Thirty7ven

Banned
When Naughty Dog make a game they literally make it on a PC that emulates the PS4/PS5 specs.

Yeah, because the only thing that matters for most people working in game dev are tools. Point is Naughty Dog won't be optimizing the game for PC, they will optimize it for the PS4/Ps5 devkits. Then Nixies comes in and starts working on a port, optimizing it for DX etc

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah, because the only thing that matters for most people working in game dev are tools. Point is Naughty Dog won't be optimizing the game for PC, they will optimize it for the PS4/Ps5 devkits. Then Nixies comes in and starts working on a port, optimizing it for DX etc
With the studios doing the bulk of the work and Nixies only needing to do a small percentage though I can definitely see day 1 releases on PC being possible, and failing that maybe a 6 month gap between releases? I definitely don’t think it’ll be a long time in between.

With the studios doing the bulk of the work and Nixies only needing to do a small percentage though I can definitely see day 1 releases on PC being possible, and failing that maybe a 6 month gap between releases? I definitely don’t think it’ll be a long time in between.

6 months to a year for all their SP games. I think it'll depend on the legs of each game. I still see them going down the Rockstar route wanting to maximise with double dips and all that

Day One for all their GaaS. Expecting that for Factions 2 (if they're capable of it yet)

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

Day 1 releases on PC make perfect sense to me, but Sony is either afraid of alienating a part of its hardcore userbase or maybe they simply aren't ready yet, as the infrastructure hasn't reached that optimal stage.

GT7 should absolutely be releasing on PC/PS4/PS5, at the same time. I know PC gamers that didn't care about Sony games, and now they are talking to me about how great God of War is. Just keep making more Playstation fans I say, there's a ton of them waiting on the PC side, go right ahead.

Wizz-Art

They developed it, but they don't own the IP.

That means it wasn't Sony's decision. You're just going to play word games instead of listening to facts. lol

Sony signed a new deal with MLB, and MLB wanted the game on other platforms. Period.
NBA2K is a Take2 game no? Fifa is an EA game no? But MLB the Show isn't a Sony game...ok.

Wizz-Art

What you're saying doesn't change the fact that Sony, Take2, EA can't make sports games exclusive to a platform unless it's approved by the league.
What are you talking about?

Re-read what I quoted in the first place and then come say again that I was wrong with disproving your quote twice in a single post.

Last edited:
They developed it, but they don't own the IP.

That means it wasn't Sony's decision. You're just going to play word games instead of listening to facts. lol

Sony signed a new deal with MLB, and MLB wanted the game on other platforms. Period.
They don't own the MLB name but The Show... Pretty sure they have that trademarked as well as the underlining assets to the game.

You're right about MLB wanting it on other platforms, which makes sense because it involves way more money. MLB The Show was like a top 10 selling game last year as a result of being multiplatform, which is crazy.

Wizz-Art

Licensed properties are a completely different thing from a general first-party release. God of War, or Horizon will appear on Xbox the day hell freezes over, Sony is not going to put the ips they own on a competitors console. That would be a foolish thing to do.
Dude was saying a thing that simply wasn't true. I know how it works but his quote wasn't true.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What are you talking about?

Re-read what I quooted in the first place and then come say again that I was wrong with disproving your quote twice in a single post.
I don't need to re-read anything. These IPs are not owned by the developers. They're owned by the league.

Sorry, but your attempts to ignore basic facts don't work.

This conversation is done.

Stuart360

I think like 20% of my reputation score is from laughing smilies when i used to say about why it would be good for Sony if they released their games on PC, and it happened.
I have also got endless smilies when i said numerous times that by the end of the gen Sony will be releasing their games on PC day and date. Well it seems i was wrong about that, its probably going to happen years before the end of the gen lol.

I think like 20% of my reputation score is from laughing smilies when i used to say about why it would be good for Sony if they released their games on PC, and it happened.
I have also got endless smilies when i said numerous times that by the end of the gen Sony will be releasing their games on PC day and date. Well it seems i was wrong about that, its probably going to happen years before the end of the gen lol.

Here's another on the house

Licensed properties are a completely different thing from a general first-party release. God of War, or Horizon will appear on Xbox the day hell freezes over, Sony is not going to put the ips they own on a competitors console. That would be a foolish thing to do.
Never say never. I could see a situation where Sony ports previous-gen games to Xbox. These budgets are insane. You really need to maximize your margins.

An argument could be made within Sony that putting PS4 and PS3 games on Xbox is not a serious driver of their hardware sales and that the margins could justify it. If anything it could bring more owners over to PS5 and PS6.

Imagine selling an extra 5-10 million copies of Spider-Man 1 at 50 dollars a pop. That's 250-500 million dollars... minus royalties to Microsoft and Marvel and porting cost, I'm not sure how you turn your nose at that much money.

Porting PS4 games to XSX/S/PC would probably pay for what they just spent on Bungie.

Wizz-Art

When he said "their games" he obviously meant games owned by Sony. MLB is not owned by Sony. Come on, dude.
Oh obviously, since MLB The Show is a Sony game, not the MLB license but the game itself is a Sony game, twist and turn how much you want doesn't change the fact that a Sony game released day one on Game Pass and it's sequel will too.

Buggy Loop

It is a mistake. They are slowly going to lose about their appeal. At some point it'll show on their revenues.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

If a game is good, it’ll do well and likely even get more sales than staying on a closed platform, and thus allow for even better quality sequels.

The idea that PlayStation is liked because it’s games are exclusive to a platform for penis size comparisons online is so archaic.

What makes playing God of war ragnarok exclusively on PS5 more appealing than playing that same game on PS5 knowing there’s a PC version? If the answer even remotely comes close to console warring, it’s cringe. It’s almost like the « I’m an expert of all things Japanese, and honour..» copypasta.

Last edited:

Ivan

PC WINS comments are getting out of hand and sound strange to me.

PC hasn't been getting any real PC centric games for a long, long time in AAA space (and we're talkng about that here). Not a single game since Crysis from 2007 (15 years ago) was made to be PC only/pc first. Don't mention indies, that's a different game entirely.

It is nice to be able to play more console games on PC, but as an old school PC gamer, I wouldn't celebrate that too much. Just a glance over famous successful pc years tells a lot. Today you can't even imagine playing most of the games you're talking about without a controller, that's how pc centric they are.

Getting very expensive PC to play games designed for console hardware and controllers isn't that hot IMO. Playing some true PC classics like we had in the past would be.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PlayStation 5, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and make all first party titles EXCLUSIVE or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Oh obviously, since MLB The Show is a Sony game, not the MLB license but the game itself is a Sony game, twist and turn how much you want doesn't change the fact that a Sony game released day one on Game Pass and it's sequel will too.

Yes, obviously. You're the only one that's not clued in here. When people are coming into this thread and saying Sony is going to put their games on Xbox because of what Bungie and Jim are saying, they're obviously not talking about MLB.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Never say never. I could see a situation where Sony ports previous-gen games to Xbox. These budgets are insane. You really need to maximize your margins.

An argument could be made within Sony that putting PS4 and PS3 games on Xbox is not a serious driver of their hardware sales and that the margins could justify it. If anything it could bring more owners over to PS5 and PS6.

Imagine selling an extra 5-10 million copies of Spider-Man 1 at 50 dollars a pop. That's 250-500 million dollars... minus royalties to Microsoft and Marvel and porting cost, I'm not sure how you turn your nose at that much money.

Porting PS4 games to XSX/S/PC would probably pay for what they just spent on Bungie.

I don't see it. You'd lose brand awareness. PC is an open playing field, a bit different.

PC hasn't been getting any real PC centric games for a long, long time in AAA space (and we're talkng about that here). Not a single game since Crysis from 2007 (15 years ago) was made to be PC only/pc first. Don't mention indies, that's a different game entirely.

It is nice to be able to play more console games on PC, but as an old school PC gamer, I wouldn't celebrate that too much. Just a glance over famous successful pc years tells a lot. Today you can't even imagine playing most of the games you're talking about without a controller, that's how pc centric they are.

Getting very expensive PC to play games designed for console hardware and controllers isn't that hot IMO. Playing some true PC classics like we had in the past would be.
There are many big PC only games. And now PC is also getting basically all the console games (excluding Nintendo). It's easy to see why PC gamers see this as a win.

Topher

Gold Member

Twist and turn? Seriously? Who is disputing MLB's status as a multiplat or it continuance as a Game Pass game? No one that I've seen. Calling it a "Sony game" doesn't negate the fact that it is different than all the other games Sony publishes. If you can't acknowledge that then you really shouldn't be saying others are twisting and turning about anything.

Last edited:

Ivan

There are many big PC only games. And now PC is also getting basically all the console games (excluding Nintendo). It's easy to see why PC gamers see this as a win.
There are NO big pc only games in category we're talking about. Name a few?

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
This is so dumb. If they want to go multiplatform they can leave the console business.

Which is probably what they are planning to do.

And everyone who thinks he’s talking about pc is just in denial. Like come on guys how much more clearer can’t he be.

Maybe Phil just acquired take 2 and Sony realizes they can’t survive without cod and gta, and will exit the console business but it is a bad idea. Sony make great consoles and a world where only Microsoft is making consoles is going to be a grim one.

Regardless, this moron was hired to be the CEO of PlayStation and he’s hell bent on going multiplatform. Singlehandedly Killing the most successful console maker across the last five generations. I’ve never quite seen anything like this. They lost just one generation. Man Up and fight. Nintendo survived without cod and gta, so can You. Ffs.
Your picture is not fooling anyone anymore.

DaGwaphics

This. With GP for PC and Sony bringing their content, I would totally go that way if a modest GPU didn't cost a kidney and half your liver. :messenger_beaming:

Stuart360

Problem is that game budgets are huge today, and PC is a 'free' platform, meaning no one owns it like Microsoft and Sony bankrolling games for their consoles.
If game budgets werent as ridiculous as they are today, we would still be getting the Quakes and DOOMS of the 90's. In fact we still do get a lot of them, but mostly AA and Indie..

PC gaming keeps winning for me because we have more than our fair share of exclusive AA and Indie games, but we also get all Xbox games, seemingly its only a matter of time before we get all PS games, all multiplatform games, and we can even play Switch games through emulation.

PC is def the place to be gaming wise imo.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

OK fine, but that’s mainly because Consoles nowadays are just budget gaming PCs in a box, and all games are using cross-platform engines that scale all the way from smartphones up to high-end PCs.

There isn’t any meaningful distinction between PC and console anymore. They are both just ways to play the same games. As a publisher, the only reason to keep a game exclusive is if the platform owner is paying you for it. As a first party, the only reason to keep games exclusive is to try to lock people into your platform. The whole thing is kind of dumb.

Top Bottom