• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan to GameIndustry.biz: "We are starting to go multiplatform"

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Jim Ryan during yesterday's Games Industry.biz interview stated this:
"I've been on record talking about increasing the size of the PlayStation community, and expanding beyond our historic console heartland. This can take many forms. And definitely one of the main ones is the ability for the wonderful games that we've been making over the past 25 years to be enjoyed in different places and played in different ways. We are starting to go multiplatform, you've seen that. We have an aggressive road map with live services. And the opportunity to work with, and particularly learn from, the brilliant and talented people from Bungie... that is going to considerably accelerate the journey we find ourselves on."

"Philosophically, this isn't about pulling things into the PlayStation world. This is about building huge and wonderful new worlds together."

Really interesting interview. I guess we can all only speculate what it means going forward.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Sony paying all that money for a company who is going to remain multiplat is interesting.

MLB The Show is coming to Switch as well. First Switch game I'm going to be buying in forever. Always wanted to play that game on a handheld.

Maybe the Playstation Sparticus service will be on Switch and mobile and Gamepass as well.

Last edited:

Really interesting interview. I guess we can all only speculate what it means going forward.
That’s what I said in the other topic. It didn’t make sense for Sony to buy Bungie because they only have one franchise that nobody is going to buy a PS5 for it. The only reason to buy it was for the money it generated and for that you will need to keep it multiplatform.

It seems Jim Ryan’s plan is clear, stop making consoles and go with a service that can be played on any device essentially eliminating the PlayStation ecosystem.

Last edited:

DavJay

Trying to pressure MS to not make CoD and friends exclusive. I think keeping games exclusive worked for Sony and they should continue doing it. It is what separates them from the rest. Nintendo knows it and MS is figuring that out.

ManaByte

PC Day one coming soon!
TJ_5ZL.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That’s what I said in the other topic. It didn’t make sense for Sony to buy Bungie because they only have one franchise that nobody is going to buy a PS5 for it. The only reason to buy it was for the money it generated and for that you will need to keep it multiplatform.

It seems Jim Ryan’s plan is clear, stop making consoles and go with a service that can be played on any device essentially eliminating the PlayStation ecosystem.

I think consoles will stay but the cycle of consoles with hard to acquire hardware and chip shortages will become less and less of a focus for Sony and they will go after PC as much as possible.
hopefully the VR headset works on PC too.

Markio128

I wouldn’t be averse to Sony putting some of their big games on the Switch, considering Nintendo’s domination of the Japanese console market. If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em, as they say.

anthony2690

Banned
Whilst I imagine he is just talking about PC.

But you never know, maybe Microsoft and Sony might work out a deal and release games on each others platforms.

Who knows.

ManaByte

No surprise, the games are going to pc. Not to Xbox.
PC and mobile push
read that yesterday , he means PC when he says multiplatform
Both companies are going to overuse the term "multiplatform" when they truly only want to say including PC and Mobile.

Some people need to read what he actually said in the interview.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.

1. He says Destiny will remain on the platforms it is currently on, which means Xbox. He's not saying they're pulling the game off Xbox to make it just PC/PlayStation.
2. He says that same approach will apply to Bungie's future games.

mckmas8808

Banned

Chris Rock Reaction GIF

mansoor1980

Some people need to read what he actually said in the interview.

1. He says Destiny will remain on the platforms it is currently on, which means Xbox. He's not saying they're pulling the game off Xbox to make it just PC/PlayStation.
2. He says that same approach will apply to Bungie's future games.
are you saying that ps-studios games as well as bungie future games will also be on xbox

JaksGhost

How is that not multiplatform.
Because by saying "multiplatform" it gives off the illusion that they are also speaking about their competitors consoles. PC and Mobile aren't really in that same realm IMO. They are their own beasts. This isn't about the Bungie deal since that's been explicitly detailed to remain multiplat but for the other acquisitions that have been done recently. The same jargon is being used on both sides.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Saw this coming. But I don't quite understand yet what that actually means for the future of PlayStation. Don't they make most of their money from services and microtransactions on their consoles, and NOT from selling 1st party titles? If they're gonna remove the incentive to buy a PlayStation, how do they keep making that money? Is it all GaaS from here, where it doesn't matter WHERE you play? That's me out if so.

But I guess we're officially seeing the beginning of the end of Sony as a 1st party console maker, and the PS5 might be the last one. Feels rather sad, and personally I'm not a fan. Will there be a place for AAA single player games with no online component in this brave new future? That scares me.

Last edited:
W7lZJ7q.jpeg

In all honesty, they're just going back to their roots. Sort of. They aren't going back to Sony ImageSoft era anytime soon, but they had a decent number of ports to PC for even the PS1, and PS1 console-exclusives that...also had PC versions.

Sounds very familiar, doesn't it?

Saw this coming. But I don't quite understand yet what that actually means for the future of PlayStation. Don't they make most of their money from services and microtransactions on their consoles, and NOT from selling 1st party titles? If they're gonna remove the incentive to buy a PlayStation, how do they keep making that money? It's all a bit weird to me.

But I guess we're officially seeing the beginning of the end of Sony as a 1st party console maker, and the PS5 might be the last one. Feels rather sad.

They're still gonna make a PS6, y'all xD.

This just means a lot more PC support from them. Question is does it mean Day 1 PC support? I honestly don't think it will except for big service-orientated, GaaS MP-centric games, like TLOU2 Factions and probably whatever the next GT Sport is.

Other 1P games? Don't expect them Day 1 until Sony finds a way to put a storefront and launcher on PC they 100% control, and (probably) can monetize outside of raw game purchases (tiered subscription tiers with perks, ad-supported "Free" tier, etc.). If and when they can do that is when there'll be the incentive for Day 1 PS/PC releases for all 1P games.

They are probably still a few years off from that though.

Last edited:

odhiex

Microsoft is also heading towards that direction it seems. It's all about expanding the brand across multiple platforms and generating money from anywhere.

Exclusives will stay, but no longer the main focus for them. Building the ecosystem, maximizing profits, expanding fans.

Because by saying "multiplatform" it gives off the illusion that they are also speaking about their competitors consoles. PC and Mobile aren't really in that same realm IMO. They are their own beasts.
It's not really an illusion though, even Jim Ryan said that they are releasing on rival consoles. It makes sense if you accept that Sony don't see much use to being in the console business any longer.

Doom85

hocus pocus halloween GIF

Jim isn’t talking about expanding to the PC market! CLEARLY he knows it’s time to return to a market PlayStation tragically abandoned, but now cooler heads have prevailed! Now is the time for the greatest resurrection ever!

Watch Out Now Andre Braugher GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Ladies and gentlemen, behold Sony’s secret weapon and the permanent end to the console fandom war as all will unite under this banner! I give you:

D98egPQ.jpg

Adventure Time GIF

(obligatory “I loved my Vita“ clarification, but it’s also fun to poke fun at it as well)

Guys, guys
Destiny and MLB are Sony games on Xbox 🤔

That's because sony has no longer control of the MLB game license. so naturally it's going to be multiplatform. as for destiny, it makes sense as it's a live service title and most probably their new ip as well. you don't cut off an entire user base of a title as huge as destiny. that would be financially unwise, it's by no means an indication that you're suddenly going to be seeing God of war and uncharted on Xbox and switch. PC is most likely, maybe mobile but outside of those no.

ManaByte

It's not really an illusion though, even Jim Ryan said that they are releasing on rival consoles. It makes sense if you accept that Sony don't see much use to being in the console business any longer.

To keep it in Sony, look at it this way.

Sony Pictures has the highest grossing movie of 2021 with Spider-Man. It's coming out on Blu-Ray this month. The digital movie will be sold on Apple, Google, Amazon, etc and play on those devices. It's not only being sold on the PlayStation. Likewise the Blu-Ray, which will be produced by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, will play on any Blu-Ray player; not just the players made by Sony.

i know but ps-studios games going to x-box wont happen , thread title may confuse some people

When you boot up MLB The Show on Xbox it shows the PlayStation Studios logo.

Last edited:

yurinka

If what is explained in the interview isn't enough, in this Bungie Q&A they are pretty clear:

Inside SIE, Bungie will be a separate publisher from PS Studios. Destiny 2 and future Bungie games won't be PlayStation exclusive, will continue being multiplatform.

Microsoft is also heading towards that direction it seems.
Yes, in the case of Mojang, Zenimax and ABK, or at least it's what they said and made until now. Depending on the sentence, the wording sometimes especified the 'communities'/IPs that already are were published on non-MS consoles (so new IPs may be out of this). And then mentioned things like that their plans for Bethesda was 'first or better on Xbox', which I assume they have some timed console exclusives planned for Bethesda.

In all honesty, they're just going back to their roots. Sort of. They aren't going back to Sony ImageSoft era anytime soon, but they had a decent number of ports to PC for even the PS1, and PS1 console-exclusives that...also had PC versions.

Sounds very familiar, doesn't it?
Psygnosis released Wipeout on Saturn too even if they were acquired by Sony Electronic Publishing (the current SIE) a couple of years before PS1 was released. And well, before PS1 Sony Imagesoft was a publisher of NES, Game Boy, SNES, Mega Drive, Mega CD or PC games.

Last edited:
Does seem like a future where someone else is going to be making the hardware. Apple perhaps making expensive powerful consoles while Nintendo continues with the cheap stuff.
Everyone else fights for PC parts scraps. Thunderdome.

mansoor1980

To keep it in Sony, look at it this way.

Sony Pictures has the highest grossing movie of 2021 with Spider-Man. It's coming out on Blu-Ray this month. The digital movie will be sold on Apple, Google, Amazon, etc and play on those devices. It's not only being sold on the PlayStation. Likewise the Blu-Ray, which will be produced by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, will play on any Blu-Ray player; not just the players made by Sony.

When you boot up MLB The Show on Xbox it shows the PlayStation Studios logo.
i meant other games like uncharted , gow etc

Top Bottom