• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Hideaki Nishino : 1440p Support will be considered if there is enough demand

Jose92

[Membe

The current PS5 does not support output at 1440p, but this is based on the idea that "I want to give top priority to TV support" (Mr. Nishino). "There is no technical problem at all" (Mr. Ito), so it seems that we will respond if there are many requests while watching the market trends.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
tenor.gif

It really seems like you don't want my money Sony.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Quelle Surprise, anyone who didn't think this would be patched in is delusional, consoles normally ship with updates in mind.

levyjl1988

Banned
Microsoft won this generation.

Sony is creating a lot of friction with gamers, they are being too cocky since they won the PS4 console wars which will cause them to lose.
Like when Microsoft dominated with Xbox 360 and they got too cocky and greedy and they made the shitty Xbox One, it looks like Sony is doing the same but with PS5.

Xbox Series X can do 1440p. Sony cannot.
Xbox Series X has full backwards compatibility. Sony does not.
Xbox Series X means you can use your existing Xbox One controllers. Sony does not play PS5 games.

Sony is trending to be anti-consumer.

Xbox Series X will have Elder Scrolls VI. Sony will not.

It's silly not to support it outright if it's not that hard to do. Options are good.

Sony is creating a lot of friction with gamers, they are being too cocky since they won the PS4 console wars which will cause them to lose.
Like when Microsoft dominated with Xbox 360 and they got too cocky and greedy and they made the shitty Xbox One, it looks like Sony is doing the same but with PS5.

Xbox Series X means you can use your existing Xbox One controllers. Sony does not play PS5 games.

Nice copypasta.

Moogle11

Banned
Why not give the option? What are they thinking?

Is this a big deal for them to do? It seams like they should just do it even if only a small percentage of users will take advantage of it.

Corporate decisions are almost always based entirely on profit margins. Only thing I can think of is they decided that whatever cost to pay their teams to build/code in 1440p support wasn't profitable given what they estimated to be a small number of gamers who would skip buying a PS5 due to the lack of 1440p support. Thus they'll only add it in if they get enough requests that change that equation for them and make it clear they're losing money by not having it.

Doesn't seem like something that should cost much to build in, but I don't know much of anything about what's involved or the money required to pay people to add it and push the updates out etc.

LordOfChaos

"Explorations are underway"

If they're aware it's being asked for, I mean, why not just go ahead and start working on it rather than seeing if there's "enough" demand.

Anywho. I think most 1440p monitors will take a 4K signal and scale it, at least anything in the last few years, am I wrong?

LQX

Sony is such a raggedy bitch. Their biggest selling game this gen runs at a native 1440p yet they don't support the resolution, meanwhile MS has been supporting it since the XBox 360. And I could have sworn Just last month BenQ said 1440p would be supported. This was seriously one of my most looked for features as I rather game on my 1440p monitor than my TV. We should not have to beg for it, especially being that they know it was feature some have been asking for since the PS4.

I don't have one nor do I intend on getting one any time soon- but I'll sign that petition. I wonder why it wasn't included as an option?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Oh, I'm Sony, I'm lazy to code my GPU to a certain resolution that a lot of monitors uses for a long time"

Yeah, yeah, fuck you

Last edited:

rapid32.5

lol. so, now you have to beg Sony to add standard features to their firmware, the clock situation all over again?

Last edited:

sincarra

And Sony will still come out on top. What’s your point?

scydrex

wtf is wrong with them? how hard is it to implement a fucking output resolution option?

the fuck?

They did not say is hard. Just that tv are 1080p or 4k. How many people will connect the ps5 to a 1440p monitor vs how many people to 4k tv.

Last edited:

YCoCg

It's literally just adding another supported resolution to the list???? The excuse of "prioritising TV" as if it doesn't already support the basic is just laughable. Meanwhile Microsoft is over here supporting odd resolutions since the Xbox 360.

Banned
They did not say is hard. Just that tv are 1080p or 4k. How many people will connect the ps5 to a 1440p monitor vs how many people to 4k tv.

there are also those who have HDMI2.0 TVs that can do 1440p120hz but not 4k120hz
those people will have to play at 1080p120hz if they don't implement 1440p.

also they support 1080i, a setting less than 1% of all their customers will ever use, 1440p is a was more common output resolution than 1080i

bender

What time is it?
While I don't think the demand for this feature would be very large it seems like something that would be very easy to implement.

there are also those who have HDMI2.0 TVs that can do 1440p120hz but not 4k120hz
those people will have to play at 1080p120hz if they don't implement 1440p.

also they support 1080i, a setting less than 1% of all their customers will ever use, 1440p is a was more common output resolution than 1080i
In that case it wouldn't matter, if it's a 4k tv the image will be downsampled to either 1440p or 1080p then upscaled back up.

Literally the only people affected are those with 1440p monitors who don't want any upscale.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
While I don't think the demand for this feature would be very large it seems like something that would be very easy to implement.

Which is basically just what they said!

Unlike MS, Sony aren't embedded in the PC market, they make mass-market consumer goods like TVs and DVD/Blu-Ray players, devices that use a set of standardized resolutions for both display and media resolution. Pressed digital media went straight from fullHD (1080p) to UHD(2160p). 1440p is simply not part of that, its from PC.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pretty obvious that they cut out these features to get the OS ready for release, and will add them later based on priority.

Ahh, memories

cosmicom

Banned
Is this a big deal for them to do? It seams like they should just do it even if only a small percentage of users will take advantage of it.

There´s a lot of people who choose PS5+PC, avoiding Xbox.

a LOT of these consumers has 1440p monitor 120hz display, this decision is painful to them.

Anyway, PS5 games will run at 1440p(2k), not 4k, so this decision is because sony does not sell 1440p monitors, but 4k tvs.

Banned
In that case it wouldn't matter, if it's a 4k tv the image will be downsampled to either 1440p or 1080p then upscaled back up.

Literally the only people affected are those with 1440p monitors who don't want any upscale.

1440p upscaled to 4k looks better than 1080p upscaled to 4k

you will miss fine detail.

also most games that support 120hz will run at around 1440p most likely and so you could actually have the max resolution of the game on your TV.
but as it stands now HDMI2.0 users will lose image quality for no good reason other than Sony being fucking dumb af...

it can't be hard to implement that, like I bet a single person at their OS team could implement that option in less than a day.

and once again I'll add that 1440p is a very common display resolution that a fuck ton of people have in their homes.
meanwhile 1080i, which is supported, is only useful for people with REALLLLLY old full HD TVs or some HD ready TVs.

who the hell uses either to play their PS5 on? I bet that percentage is so small that it would barely show up on a statistic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom