• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 8-Disc UHD Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection Boxed Set Doesn't Include 2016 and Twitter is Mad

MacReady13

Compared to the original Ghostbusters? C'mon. 2 is perfectly fun for what it is but it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the original. Nor should the reboot, from what I've heard, but I'm not even wasting my time on that.
I think Ghostbusters 2 is a fine film that is very much overly criticized. Unfortunately it is the sequel to a classic so I agree with you there. I still think it a fine film and a worthy addition to the original. I'm yet to see Afterlife as we haven't gotten it down under yet, and I couldn't stand the "reboot".

ManaByte

Gold Member
If you ask me what they need to do, is get rid of the original Ghostbusters movie from this set, and replace it with the 2016 version. Either that or make it just 8 discs of 2016 in various random languages.
Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

nush

Gold Member
If you ask me what they need to do, is get rid of the original Ghostbusters movie from this set, and replace it with the 2016 version. Either that or make it just 8 discs of 2016 in various random languages.

No, the super long cut that we were threatened with.

sol_bad

I'll just say that it's not an ultimate collection if it doesn't include the 2016 film. Even if the 2016 film was included I still wouldn't buy this set. I'm sure Afterlife will get sequels and my OCD wouldn't want 3-4 movies in a box set and then the 5th or 6th film separate.

Amory

its pretty weird that they wouldn’t include it in an “ultimate”collection. At first I thought it might be because the standalone film wasn’t released on UHD and they didn’t want to spend the extra cash but….it was

I never saw ghostbusters 2016 but, to me, if you’re gonna do a franchise box set you should put everything in there. People can throw away the 2016 disc if they feel that strongly about it

K' Dash

I have always loved the "if you don't like it you're sexist" comments... This is what 60 IQ looks like folks.

You may like 2016 GB, but that doesn't make it less of a trash fire, also doesn't make people who didn't like it "the enemy".

MAtgS

From what I hear about the new one, it shouldn't have included that either.

What a weird "franchise" to try and turn into something more. Ghostbusters is an exceptional cynical comedy that happens to involve ghosts, with a pretty poor sequel. That's it. Ramis would be turning in his grave.
It also had a pretty good cartoon series or 2.

YCoCg

Why make a big song and dance about 2016 not being connected to the original movies only to then cry on Twitter that it's not included in a box set about the original movies.

nush

Gold Member
I have always loved the "if you don't like it you're sexist" comments... This is what 60 IQ looks like folks.

You may like 2016 GB, but that doesn't make it less of a trash fire, also doesn't make people who didn't like it "the enemy".

If you don't like GB2016 you're a Trump supporter and hate women. Even if you are a woman and not American.

sol_bad

I just looked up Afterlife and 2016's box office. I can't believe 2016 is most likely going to beat Afterlife's box office.
I can't speak to Afterlife's quality yet though as it's not out in Australia yet. I can say I have zero nostalgia for Ghostbusters though, curious to see if I cry at the end or if it's just a nostalgia thing. No idea what the sad thing is, just know that Ghostbusters fans cry at the end.

Papacheeks

Banned
My cousin believes 2016 ghostbusters is better than ghostbusters 2?

I literally had a double take, almost thought I was having a stroke.

Like I understand the hate Gb2 gets but it’s still a fun movie. And compared to 2016 it’s a fucking masterpiece than that unfunny movie.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Fucking hell that's a bit much Sony Pictures, I mean yeah I can see why it's slated and hated but to be perfectly honest we love it in our household, I found it funny as hell.. granted I wouldn't have had the stupid dance at the end but other than that I think it's a great Ghostbusters movie and my kids loved it

Ionian

I just looked up Afterlife and 2016's box office. I can't believe 2016 is most likely going to beat Afterlife's box office.
I can't speak to Afterlife's quality yet though as it's not out in Australia yet. I can say I have zero nostalgia for Ghostbusters though, curious to see if I cry at the end or if it's just a nostalgia thing. No idea what the sad thing is, just know that Ghostbusters fans cry at the end.

It's not sad other than nostalgic. People crying at the end...? It has a lovely touch for ramis but nothing worth crying over unless you're overreacting for the sake of it

Just watch one first if you can. The people crying must have not have hit puberty yet.

Last edited:

Ionian

Fucking hell that's a bit much Sony Pictures, I mean yeah I can see why it's slated and hated but to be perfectly honest we love it in our household, I found it funny as hell.. granted I wouldn't have had the stupid dance at the end but other than that I think it's a great Ghostbusters movie and my kids loved it
I didn't mind it, was more ghost busters. Still a dumb film though.

Also no dance in my one, thank god. That was so unfunny.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
You know the people complaining wouldn't have bought the boxed set either way. Watch Sony include it now that 5 people have complained, only to realise they've fucked themselves due to poor sales from the actual fan base. GG.

I'll just say that it's not an ultimate collection if it doesn't include the 2016 film. Even if the 2016 film was included I still wouldn't buy this set. I'm sure Afterlife will get sequels and my OCD wouldn't want 3-4 movies in a box set and then the 5th or 6th film separate.
I have the Bond 50 set. The movies which have come out afterwards (so far): Skyfall, Spectre, No Time to Die.

I had no idea that Ghostbusters: Afterlife was actually III. This is a failure of marketing, especially after the stink of 2016. I would have gone and saw Afterlife if I knew it was a sequel to the original 2 films from the 1980's. F for Harold Ramis, who didn't live to make the third film as he died back in 2014.

As 2016 is a reboot and separate continuity from I, II, and Afterlife (III), it makes sense that isn't included in this set. The fact that it was a shit film only made the decision to exclude it easier.

Last edited:

Xenon

So Paul wanted to use the nostalgia from the past films to create his own thing and now is mad his garbage movie is not included in a box set of a franchise he thought needed to updated for modern audiences? Sorry pal you picked your path, deal with it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was hoping to buy GhostBusters 1 and 2 in 4K, but I was unaware of this set! Totally buying it.

Not having the abomination that is 2016 is just icing on the cake.
I think there was already a 4K UHD set with the first two movies (at least I found it in the U.K. :D).

Top Bottom