• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony XDEV's Japan Division Assisting with PS5's Rise of the Ronin

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
rise-of-the-ronin-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

Sony XDEV, originally, was the Liverpool-based first-party business unit responsible for overseeing first-party projects developed by external European studios. Examples in the past have included games like Quantic Dream’s Detroit: Become Human and Sumo Digital’s Sackboy: A Big Adventure. However, we noticed last year that the team was hiring for positions in Japan, and that it was now described as a “global” operation.

And we may be seeing evidence of its new remit with the announcement of Team Ninja’s Rise of the Ronin, which is being published by Sony and is being overseen by XDEV. “Privileged to work on an exciting title as Rise of the Ronin with Yasuda-san of Team Ninja Studio, [producer] Masaaki Yamagiwa, and our Sony XDEV JP team,” wrote veteran Jason Stewart on Twitter

Aenima

Good to know they are working with Team Ninja. They are now doing the job Japan Studio used to do with 3rd party japanese devs.
When they announced that SIE was Publishing this game and Stellar Blade i was wondering if XDEV would be involved in any of the projects as they anounced last year or so that they was hiring for some kind of japanese/ asian division.

Last edited:
What's wrong with that? There is a war for talent going on and finding good workers is hard! This is a win-win.

New way as in...it has always happened? Yes.

I mean, it's basically another way to co-fund the development. And when that happens you wouldn't expect to see the game on rival platforms.

I can understand how just dumping money for timed exclusivity can be bad. But that's definitely not this case as they have a hand in the development. I mean Microsoft are not the ones sending people over to help make the game so why should they get something out of it?

I posted about this yesterday in another thread, but it seems like it’s official. Sony expanded their XDev team last year, (who primarily work on SIE published titles from third party devs) into JAPAN and Asian territories. The rumor was they were working with a handful of big Japanese and Asian developers of AAA titles. Well now we officially know two of them, one is Rise of the Ronin from Team Ninja and the other is Stellar Blade by SHIFTUP. The latter being the studios first major game.

nial

Gold Member
Most likely a continuing of the Nioh situation. They don't own the IP, but you won't see it on any other console.
Yeah but in that case, I'm sure Japan Studio didn't assist in the development of Nioh.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Rise of the Ronin looks very promising to me as a big fan of team Ninja. Good to see xdev continuing the work in Japan after Japan studios' restructure.

Mr Hyde

Hyped for this and Stellar Blade. Playstation keeps bringing the goods. Sony is starting to rack up a considerable amount of exclusives now for PS5. Very impressive library so far, even with the cross gen stuff.

nial

Gold Member
Isn't kind of similar to Bloodborne? I mean Japan Studio mostly help out its online structure for Bloodborne if I recall correctly.
Yes, it means that they're supporting the development and not just paying exclusivity for it (like Final Fantasy XVI).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yes, it means that they're supporting the development and not just paying exclusivity for it (like Final Fantasy XVI).
SE never needed help to make FF games, Sony only paying to make it exclusive for their system.

In my opinion that just waste, even without FFXVI being “exclusive” it will most likely sell more on PS5 regardless.

I rather Sony actually support projects like they did Bloodborne, Soul Sacrifice and now this game.

Last edited:
SE never needed help to make FF games, Sony only paying to make it exclusive for their system.

In my opinion that just waste, even without FFXVI being “exclusive” it will most likely sell more on PS5 regardless.

I rather Sony actually support projects like they did Bloodborne, Soul Sacrifice and now this game.
The amazing thing about a big company like Sony is they can do both. And the money Sony is paying for Square AAA RPG’s are most definitely going towards recouping development cost. Theres a reason why only a handful of japanese studios are still making AAA games, and why square is taking so many timed deals for them.

Last edited:

TheTony316

You can expect much more of this going forward.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can expect much more of this going forward.
I hope so, I would love Sony help and support their very own JRPG series, same way Nintendo has with Xenoblade.

They dont even need to buy a studio, they can just make a deal with Square or Atlus to make brand IP with Sony actively helping development and not just money hat to be exclusive.

Kokoloko85

From is very busy right now so don't expect another game with sony. Btw Xdev is very big and support many projects worldwide
What projects are they busy with? There normally the type to do multiple projects, or at least start working on another while there main announced title is coming

coffinbirth

While this game looks great, beat reveal of the stream, IMO, I'm kinda burned out on the setting. Between Sekiro and Tsushima, I've had my fill of 3rd person samurai in historical Japan for the time being. Good thing this probably won't be out for a minute, haha. I'm sure I'll change my tune once it actually releases.

What projects are they busy with? There normally the type to do multiple projects, or at least start working on another while there main announced title is coming
They are in the final stages of a new Armored Core game, I hope they can show it this year. Ofc Elden Ring franchise has a lot of resources allocated to it.
They totally can have something small in the works too (like Deracine), but a full fledged first party game can't be a side project unleass they have a secret new AAA team.

Last edited:
Top Bottom