• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Won’t Let Anyone Spoil Single Player Games Anymore With New Patent Spotted

You've got it backwards. It's not trying to stop people who want to spoil the game, but trying to help those who don't want to be spoiled. If it works as described, it will track what you've seen (somehow) and then filters out any captured content that includes stuff you haven't seen.

Without the process described in the patent, you basically have to to choose between engaging with the community and going into the game blind. With it, you don't have to wait until you've finished the campaign to start checking out gameplay videos/gifs/memes/etc.

I don't care for watching other people play games and I'm not very social on consoles, so this does nothing for me. But, I know I'm in a minority. I can see how it might "drive player engagement" for a lot of folks.

Ah ok that makes more sense. But still ever since RE7, I never ever watch other people play, but I get randomly spoiled by stupid YTers that im not even subscribed to because they put in the thumbnail a huge ass spoiler boss photo and name. Its unavoidable.

Zannegan

Ah ok that makes more sense. But still ever since RE7, I never ever watch other people play, but I get randomly spoiled by stupid YTers that im not even subscribed to because they put in the thumbnail a huge ass spoiler boss photo and name. Its unavoidable.
Sad, but true. Spoiler headlines/video titles are the worst. You don't even get a chance to avoid them.

Maybe someday they'll make a browser plugin, and this system will automatically slip a spoiler code into the youtube title or urls. Til then, baby steps I guess.

ZywyPL

Banned
Maybe that's why they wanted to delay TLoU2, to get the patent actually implemented into PS4 OS before the game launches? Well, we will never know since it's already too late and the game is finally being released.

So if someone is streaming the game or trying to upload a video of a boss battle, the system is smart enough to block it?

17011798-prisoner-s-leg-and-ball-and-chain-on-white.jpg

4theplayers! But doesn't this patent go exactly against their other patent, where people stuck at games would be able to see how others managed to beat it? Like, imagine being unable to win a boss fight, you go "Alexa (or whatever they gonna call it) - how to beat this boss??" - content blocked due to spoilers...

This patent probably has to do with Share button and Dashboard kind of community uploads.

Capture cards unaffected.

Or just regular smartphones than can take pictures/videos of everything, anytime, and upload them anywhere. Or the usual word-of-mouth of course.

Ten_Fold

Sony needs to stay off twitter. They've been trying to put a bit too much control. Hell I thought you already couldn't capture photos of certain parts. Like when I got to the end of FF7R, basically said I couldn't. What more do you want Sony?

martino

I can only be judge what is a spoil for me.
also i agree with Morpheus knowing and doing(or having all context) is not the same so spoiler is not a big problem for me to begin with.

Last edited:

Zero7

It's not Joe public they've to worry about with spoilers, it's their own staff.

But if it's really that much of a concern for them, they may aswell do away with the share features altogether

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
so a game you own you can't share footage of? that's a bit weird aint it, great for spoilers but what about gameplay guides or you tubers. from somebody who doesn't like spoilers its a good idea but I don't like they are controlling what you share. either let us share or don't

FranXico

so a game you own you can't share footage of? that's a bit weird aint it, great for spoilers but what about gameplay guides or you tubers. from somebody who doesn't like spoilers its a good idea but I don't like they are controlling what you share. either let us share or don't
FYI, there already were games this generation where the sharing functionality was either temporarily or globally disabled and often it was precisely to prevent spoilers (such as MGS:GZ).

phil_t98

#SonyToo
FYI, there already were games this generation where the sharing functionality was either temporarily or globally disabled and often it was precisely to prevent spoilers (such as MGS:GZ).
Do u not find that a bit mad they can do that?

Top Bottom