• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony was Activision Blizzard’s largest customer by revenue in 2020, with Microsoft ranking fourth

AllBizness

Banned
Does it?
Cod sells best in the west and not world wide. PlayStations sell world wide. You won't see much sales of cod in a place like Japan or certain Europe, asian countries where Sony sells plenty of their systems.
It's doesn't seem to be what you're inferring here.
Not only that but people aren't taking into account a very important metric that's not even researched by these sales age and NPD people. PlayStation has far more AAA quality games for people to buy then on Xbox. Xbox gamers simply have less games to spend thier money on, means they end up spending more per game then PlayStation fans. An xbox fan might buy Assassins Creed and all its DLC while a PlayStation fan may intend to buy Assassins Creed but never gets around to it because he's too busy playing GoW, Spiderman, Horizon and shit like that. Spending money on a new AAA quality game that you actually want and excited for trumps spending money on COD mtx. I mean you only have so much to spend in your gaming budget. It boils down to PlayStation people spending less times playing 3rd party games which equals less spending on mtx and dlc for those games.

Infamy v1

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yo... homie. I gave you a compliment. Count to 10, breath... and relax. Go get a beer. Some of y'all take this shit way too seriously.

All that from simply saying to "explain" your hyperbole? Big yikes. Don't know how that got you so triggered. I mean I know you couldn't explain yourself, but what a cop out.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

And that 85% would be the bare minimum. Warzone, for example, will stay on PS indefinitely, I guarantee it.

Totally. I still think they want the other 15% too, haha. But they certainly wouldn't need it to run Activision as a profitable business. GP couldn't even dent their numbers much because the big earner at ABK is micro transactions, if anything GP might give them a boost. It's easy to see why MS wanted this deal, a win, win, win for them all the way around. Great for GP subscribers too.

Last edited:
That's probably why Microsoft want to keep things as they are, than they can decide what to do later. It doesn't make business sense to immediately cut out your biggest money maker.

This was mentioned in one of the Sony threads, but I've noticed game journalists are now citing users like Daniel instead of the news source now which I find rather strange. he's not a special mcuffin.

All that from simply saying to "explain" your hyperbole? Big yikes. Don't know how that got you so triggered. I mean I know you couldn't explain yourself, but what a cop out.
I've worked with PR before. I simply made that statement, because that's EXACTLY the spin I would have liked the PR team to come up with. That's EXACTLY the spin you would put on something when you're 4th place... because that actually a GOOD fucking spin, you nob. I agree with you dummy, despite having far less consoles... Xbox isn't actually pretty damn close. But you guys are always so damn sensitive.

But you know what, I change my mind... your original post, no longer good PR, just plain old copium. In that article PlayStation is above Xbox... end of story LOL

Infamy v1

But you know what, I change my mind... your original post, no longer good PR, just plain old copium. In that article PlayStation is above Xbox... end of story LOL

Oh no, a triggered fanboy is telling me he changed his mind and my post is no longer good PR. What ever shall I do?

laughing-cant-hold-laughter.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I find it interesting that PS4 outsold Xbox One almost 2,5:1 and yet Activision got 17% of revenue from Sony and 11% of revenue from Microsoft.
So, Activision got way more money from average Xbox customer then from PlayStation customer?
Or Act got proportionally more XBox than PS customers. Or a combination of both.
But it doesn't matter how you read it(or what the real reason is) - I'd say it's encouraging to see that console userbases aren't completely uniform after all (whether in terms of brand-following and/or spending habits). It says that respective consoles maybe aren't 100% interchangeable after all (even though MS/Sony marketing sometimes makes it look like they are).

Still it does not make very much of a sense right?
This is literally just a rehash of 'but their tie-ratio is bigger' arguments from 20 years ago (which was usually the case for consoles with less units on the market).
Statistically - smaller userbases DO tend to monetize better. And also not everyone monetizes their userbase equally (eg. see Nintendo or Apple for masterclass on that - Sony and MS got nothing on that), but in the end that's irrelevant outside of discussing growth opportunities.

Eg. to use a relevant example (especially for below topic) - King IPs make in excess of 2B$/year (With original Candy Crush doing like 1B out of that by itself), which makes puts them right up there with the most successful F2P publishers - perhaps ever. But if you look at average user-spend, it's actually really low (by F2P standards) and their conversion rates are fairly bottom tier (IIRC less than 5%) also.
On the other end - we have World of Tanks, which at its peak got to around 400M/year (less than half of CC), but their conversion rate was something absurd like 30%, which also meant far fewer users were needed to hit that revenue.

You can read the above in two ways:
CC has tremendous potential to grow on the back of improving its monetization - eg. for every % they increase, they could make another 200M/year.
WoT had tremendous potential to grow on the back of increasing its userbase, with every additional million contributing 300k more paying users!

Which one is 'more achievable/important' depends on a countless factors - and there isn't any one answer. But as a general rule, most business leaders will pick 'more users with opportunity to squeeze money from them' over 'less users but we monetize them super well' as the better growth path (which is usually reflected in stock markets too).

I think king is an insane money maker right?
Around 30% of total Act revenue last I recall. Depending on how the rest of it shakes down - they may well be bigger than entirety of Blizzard portion.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Or Act got proportionally more XBox than PS customers. Or a combination of both.
But it doesn't matter how you read it(or what the real reason is) - I'd say it's encouraging to see that console userbases aren't completely uniform after all (whether in terms of brand-following and/or spending habits). It says that respective consoles maybe aren't 100% interchangeable after all (even though MS/Sony marketing sometimes makes it look like they are).

This is literally just a rehash of 'but their tie-ratio is bigger' arguments from 20 years ago (which was usually the case for consoles with less units on the market).
Statistically - smaller userbases DO tend to monetize better. And also not everyone monetizes their userbase equally (eg. see Nintendo or Apple for masterclass on that - Sony and MS got nothing on that), but in the end that's irrelevant outside of discussing growth opportunities.

Eg. to use a relevant example (especially for below topic) - King IPs make in excess of 2B$/year (With original Candy Crush doing like 1B out of that by itself), which makes puts them right up there with the most successful F2P publishers - perhaps ever. But if you look at average user-spend, it's actually really low (by F2P standards) and their conversion rates are fairly bottom tier (IIRC less than 5%) also.
On the other end - we have World of Tanks, which at its peak got to around 400M/year (less than half of CC), but their conversion rate was something absurd like 30%, which also meant far fewer users were needed to hit that revenue.

You can read the above in two ways:
CC has tremendous potential to grow on the back of improving its monetization - eg. for every % they increase, they could make another 200M/year.
WoT had tremendous potential to grow on the back of increasing its userbase, with every additional million contributing 300k more paying users!

Which one is 'more achievable/important' depends on a countless factors - and there isn't any one answer. But as a general rule, most business leaders will pick 'more users with opportunity to squeeze money from them' over 'less users but we monetize them super well' as the better growth path (which is usually reflected in stock markets too).

Around 30% of total Act revenue last I recall. Depending on how the rest of it shakes down - they may well be bigger than entirety of Blizzard portion.
It was rhetorical.

Oh no, a triggered fanboy is telling me he changed his mind and my post is no longer good PR. What ever shall I do?

laughing-cant-hold-laughter.gif
I'm sure you'll manage. You'll probably jump on Twitter, log into your "MasterChief69Gamer" account and post something about PS is doomed this gen or something like... Sony is evil LOL and then stare lovingly at a pic of Phil

While I'll be at home jerking it to a pic of Jim

Last edited:

Hellmaker

I don't think many here realize the potential of Candy Crush in the Xbox ecosystem. Shit, while Jimbo is crying about benevolent CoD deals, Xbox will probably be happy to extend the CoD deal from 3 to 5 if really pushed because nobody is looking or talking about King.

King rakes in billions upon billions from microtransactions. Imagine for a second that Microsoft advertises Game Pass to those hundreds of millions of people that spend money in Candy Crush, saying that you can get those same microtransactions as a monthly perk (this already exists with games like PSO2, ESO, and many more games) for an initial price of $1 for 1-3 months. Everybody and their mothers will jump on that deal, even before seeing the Game Pass catalog, which is incredibly appealing to a casual (just going off CoD, Madden, NBA2K, Fifa, etc. alone).

Either those people stay in the ecosystem for the perks, for the games, spend more money on other games, spread word of mouth to other people in their groups, or just never turn off auto-renewal and get charged $15/mo. King alone is going to be massively bigger for Game Pass than CoD, hence why MS is using CoD as a blinder since day one. Funny thing is, regulators aren't even batting an eyelash at King (even whilst mentioning potential Game Pass dominance with ABK) because no other publishers have a problem with this deal going through except Sony, who is solely hellbent on CoD.

You don't know what you're talking about. Microsoft doesn't make money for games sold on Windows unless it's in their store and who would buy CoD on the Windows store lmao.
Sounds like that who will sell consoles in china theory, that will get millions upon millions of sales lol...

Infamy v1

While I'll be at home jerking it to a pic of Jim

TMI, buddy. TMI.

Sounds like that who will sell consoles in china theory, that will get millions upon millions of sales lol...

You don't think King, a massive revenue generator, will be incorporated into Game Pass despite this tactic already being done with the perk system? Despite it being done with Riot games ala League of Legends and Valorant, etc? Same tactic: pay thousands of dollars for all characters and skins or get it free* as a Game Pass perk.

Hellmaker

TMI, buddy. TMI.

You don't think King, a massive revenue generator, will be incorporated into Game Pass despite this tactic already being done with the perk system? Despite it being done with Riot games ala League of Legends and Valorant, etc? Same tactic: pay thousands of dollars for all characters and skins or get it free* as a Game Pass perk.
I don't care either way, you just sound so sure and I find that funny.

Infamy v1

I don't care either way, you just sound so sure and I find that funny.

For them to already encorporate this tactic with MLB The Show, NBA2K, NHL, Madden, ESO, PSO2, BDO, Halo, Apex Legends, LoL, Valorant, Runeterra, etc., as well as YouTube Premium, Spotify Premium, Discord Nitro, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, etc., but not do it for the zeitgiest that is Candy Crush (when they will actually own the property), would be incredibly stupid. I don't think you spend 70 bil without considering something so obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if King is a bigger get for them than CoD is, all things considered.

Last edited:

Hellmaker

For them to already encorporate this tactic with MLB The Show, NBA2K, NHL, Madden, ESO, PSO2, BDO, Halo, Apex Legends, LoL, Valorant, Runeterra, etc., as well as YouTube Premium, Spotify Premium, Discord Nitro, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, etc., but not do it for the zeitgiest that is Candy Crush (when they will actually own the property), would be incredibly stupid. I don't think you spend 70 bil without considering something so obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if King is a bigger get for them than CoD is, all things considered.
I get that, I found the everyone and their mother will jump on gamepass, and hundreds of millions of people funny.
I have a feeling that people not interested in gaming won't care but rather continue playing that vommit of a game on their little screens just to pass time.

Infamy v1

I have a feeling that people not interested in gaming won't care but rather continue playing that vommit of a game on their little screens just to pass time.

Partially agreed, but even a fraction of that large userbase actually caring would move the needle significantly. For the record, I hate Candy Crush. Remove 85-90% of Diablo Immortal's predatory microtransactions and bring it to console, however...

Hellmaker

Partially agreed, but even a fraction of that large userbase actually caring would move the needle significantly. For the record, I hate Candy Crush. Remove 85-90% of Diablo Immortal's predatory microtransactions and bring it to console, however...
And THAT "even a fraction" reminded me of what what I was saying before :D If even a fraction of Chinese buy a console it will get millions in sales!

Infamy v1

And THAT "even a fraction" reminded me of what what I was saying before :D If even a fraction of Chinese buy a console it will get millions in sales!
That mindset about China is true, though, it's just that it doesn't take into account that console sales are trash over there and mobile games rule that market. 😌

Top Bottom