• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony want to reboot Castlevania in the mold of Bloodborne

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that everyone agreed since ever that the Souls games are basically modern Castlevania

Should have more changes of course, mostly on level design

The Alien

Banned
One thing I learned leading into the next gen, is to put all my belief in the gossip machine for PS5.

To date, the track record has been astounding.

Rat Rage

giphy.gif

Not every franchise has to be the same shit. Stop this nonsense and keep the genre-variety alive! #makegamesgreatagain

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Further to the rumors in march, this has just turned up....

'Rumours about a partnership between Konami and Sony have been floating around for several months now, suggesting that Sony are interested in buying several Konami IPs including Silent Hill and Metal Gear series.

Apparently, Sony are already working on two Silent Hill games. One of the titles is in development at Sony Japan Studio while Kojima Productions are working on another game - Silent Hills. On top of this, Sony are also interested in the Castlevania franchise.

According to latest rumours over at ResetEra , Sony are willing to purchase the IP and work on a full reboot. The most exciting part about this is that the game would be similar to Bloodborne, FromSoftware's PS4 exclusive and also Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. So a jam-packed action title but with Bloodborne combat and gameplay? Yes, please.

Of course, it is not surprising that Sony are interested in Castlevania, a franchise which is dripping with potential. The lore, the setting - everything is in place for a fantastic title and hopefully, Sony will bring us another masterpiece in the next few years.

At the moment, nothing is officially confirmed though, so we suggest you take the details with a grain of salt, just like any other rumour or unconfirmed info. That being said, Bloodborne-like Castlevania would be our dream game so fingers crossed that the rumour is true.'
Fuck sony... You stole my idea

Castlevania fan here.

Really did not like the Konima reboot and this doesn't sound much better tbh.

Will take a wait-and-see approach.

Would be nice to get Iga back but I guess at that point I'm asking too much.

That website is referencing old rumors from March which I believe were debunked.

Pretty sure the only thing really happening is silent hill. The other stuff is fake.

VertigoOA

Banned
Bloodborne is the best Metroidvania since Super Metroid anyway.

That’s right... it’s better than Symphony on the Night.

I’d be for this. Didn’t hate the last reboot of Castlevania either (I didn’t play the sequel tho).

Or fuck it all and just stay hyped for Elden Ring instead anyway.

Barakov

If they do it right, I'd be down for all these rumors. Making Castlevania similar to Bloodborne might be the formula for the franchise to work in 3d.

fvng

Original Team Silent is at Sony Japan Studio so yes please Sony buy up Silent Hill IP. I trust Sony Japan Studio over any other developer to take on the reigns

Kagey K

Banned
They seem to want to do a lot of things, but I don’t think Konami is giving up everything they have of value to make that happen.

Seems like wishful thinking at best.

93xfan

Banned
I’m thinking a cart racer would be good. Those are popular right now, right? Think the Ghost houses in Mario kart.

Oh and make it VR only.

You have to answer, whats in it for Konami?

Also for anyone that wants this to happen leaking this rumor, wont help. Konami sees the interest online, bailouts.
Crash-to-Sony-Image.jpg
I have ZERO proof. But Sony probably tried the same thing with Activision. Activision saw the interest and bailed out. Really worked for them though.

fvng

2D or nothing. Especially not dark souls style.

Whichever company pays millions for that IP isn't going to produce indie scale games, let's be real. They want a return on that investment. Bloodborne-esque Castlevania is the logical next step since the 3D PS2/PS3 castlevania games weren't remarkable.

Griffon

This would be the 5th time Castlevania is tried in 3D, and the 3rd reboot of those tries.
Lets be honest, it never worked out. Everytime 3D castlevania was noting more than mediocre clones of what was fashionable at the time (CV PS2 was inspired by Devil May Cry, and CV PS3 by god of war, among other things). It's time to let it go. I'd rather just have Bloodborne 2.

If you want to bring back Castlevania now, it would be best to make a new sequel to Super Castlevania 4. Good ass 2D action like only Castlevania could do.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Whichever company pays millions for that IP isn't going to produce indie scale games, let's be real. They want a return on that investment. Bloodborne-esque Castlevania is the logical next step since the 3D PS2/PS3 castlevania games weren't remarkable.

I think they could go in many directions. Ninja Gaiden Black is a great example of a 2D action-platformer done right in 3D. Hard pass for me if they make it like Bloodborne.

Maybe they should make a Bloodborne 2 that’s like old school Castlevania.

Last edited:

FranXico

The Bloodborne deliberated attack mechanics actually would fit a Castlevania game. Whoever came up with that rumor (it's fake, let's just admit it) had a brilliant idea.

Paracelsus

It sounds excessive, because Bloodborne at this point has more staying power than Cassolevania.
What do you do when you actually announce Bloodborne 2, you have Dark Souls 4 (or whatever the hell they will call it, maybe Armored Souls), Bloodborne 2 and Castle Souls?

Relativ9

I mean if Sony snatches up the three major Konami IPs whether or not they will actually be incredibly groundbreaking games or not that would be a massive get for Sony.

I'm not that much of a Castlevania fan, but I am a massive Bloodborne fan so anything in that vain I'd be totally down for...I'd rather have Bloodborne 2 but whatevs...sign me up for more MGS and Silent Hill though.

Oddspeak

I don't necessarily buy this, but if valid, I don't see much of a point in it, unless From Soft is averse to just making Bloodborne 2 and Sony wants a surrogate.

But then again, the other option is, what, letting Castlevania rot in Konami's vault of IPs they won't touch because they're too chickenshit to make games now?

fvng

I think they could go in many directions. Ninja Gaiden Black is a great example of a 2D action-platformer done right in 3D. Hard pass for me if they make it like Bloodborne.

Maybe they should make a Bloodborne 2 that’s like old school Castlevania.

There was 4 attempts to make a successful 3D Castlevania, they've lost consumer trust with those attempts as far as I'm concerned.

At this point the only way to regain fan interest on a wider scale is announcing Castlevania in the style of bloodborne, but it doesn't necessarily need to borrow everything. (lighting Lamps) but if they borrow enough I'd be happy (similar combat mechanics, difficulty, the sensation of discovery and exploration in a large interconnected world)

It doesn't need to be Souls like in every respect but if they borrowed enough qualities and maintained the Castlevania feel, I would be down. They only need to borrow the elements that suit the spirit of Castlevania.

My only firm non negotiable request is they don't make it anime-y regardless of what they choose to do.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Atmosphere, graphics, yeah good.
But if it’s in the same gameplay style please no.
Too hard for me.
The series should not become soulsborne stuff.

Sounds bloody awesome.

Hopefully it would include an easy mode though. I love soulsbournes myself, but my wife loved the first Lord of Shadows and plays action games to relax and unwind, not for a challenge.

Top Bottom