• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony VP fired after appearing in pedophile sting video

Status
Not open for further replies.

nush

Gold Member
All I'm saying is that technically that poster was correct. Nothing more, and don't even attempt to paint me with the "pedo defense force" brush ffs lol.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were not such a console warrior that you'd excuse underage sex with the dictionary definition defense.

Banned for being a console warrior. LOL.

Mister Wolf

EvvGMgPXcAIk0_0.jpg

Ozzy Osborne + Mrs. Doubtfire =

DustQueen

Banned
Oh common... That is unfair...
What's next... Firing all the ugly old dudes who try to fuck 15 year old twinks? Who is gonna run all those big companies... Consuela?

pZmPxZW.jpg

Think of the damage.

ps
I am trolling of god damn course

Last edited:

boomcrab

I miss the old Jim Sterling. I know that might sound wrong but I feel like much of his overall personality changed along with his transition. It's like that's all he focuses on now. Idk to me it just seems like he didn't find his 'true' self rather he adapted himself in a way where he'd be more forgiven or accepted by people. I know that sounds fucked up and anti whatever you want to call it but from what I've seen lately I truly feel that way. Its kind of sad, in a way. He always was appreciated and loved from the start.

dotnotbot

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were not such a console warrior that you'd excuse underage sex with the dictionary definition defense.

Banned for being a console warrior. LOL.

How is it excusing underage sex? What the hell are you talking about? It's VERY important to be strict and precise when accusing someone of a crime, using standarized terms and definitions, not the ones you think are fitting. Especially if he still wasn't sentenced (no matter how convincing the evidence is). No one is saying what he did isn't wrong.

You wouldn't want to be called murderer if you didn't kill someone.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
How is it excusing underage sex? What the hell are you talking about? It's VERY important to be strict and precise when accusing someone of a crime, using standarized terms and definitions, not the ones you think are fitting. Especially if he still wasn't sentenced (no matter how convincing the evidence is). No one is saying what he did isn't wrong.

You wouldn't want to be called murderer if you didn't kill someone.
A Pedophile is
  1. a person who is sexually attracted to children.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This isn't a strict definition, look up something more "scientific", 'child' is too broad and not precise, besides a child is often described as someone younger than a teen.

dude you keep digging yourself in a hole that you shouldnt be wanting t0 dig in. Like seriously why are you so intent on defending pedophiles?

Last edited:

dotnotbot

dude you keep digging yourself in a hole that you shouldnt be wanting t0 dig in. Like seriously why are you so intent on defending pedophiles?
I was NOT ever defending a pedophile. Stop that. It's disgusting how you're trying to drag me into this.

I'm calmly explaining my point, you're talking nonsense and everytime I try to defend my point you're accusing me of defending this guy. It's ridiculous.

Just learn to read and stop talking shit about me.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I wonder what the due process on this looks like, but man what a way for people to find out you got fired from Sony.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I was NOT ever defending a pedophile. Stop that. It's disgusting how you're trying to accuse me of this.

I'm calmly explaining my point, you're talking nonsense and everytime I try to defend my point you're accusing me of defending this guy. It's ridiculous.

No one give a shit if it’s hebephilia, the term pedo is universally used for someone trying to rape someone who is underage.

We don’t need to hear about the scientific term.

We don’t need to hear that it’s legal to shag a 12 year old in Japan.

No one cares.

Pedos on shit holes like Reddit constantly bring up the correct terminology because it makes them feel better about wanting to nonce up a 13 year old.

It’s gross. Please stop.

dotnotbot

No one give a shit if it’s hebephilia, the term pedo is universally used for someone trying to rape someone who is underage.

We don’t need to hear about the scientific term.

We don’t need to hear that it’s legal to shag a 12 year old in Japan.

No one cares.

Pedos on shit holes like Reddit constantly bring up the correct terminology because it makes them feel better about wanting to nonce up a 13 year old.

It’s gross. Please stop.

I have already explained above that if you're accusing someone of a crime, you really should give a shit about terms. It's not just calling someone dumb or idiot over internet, it's a serious accusation.

Last edited:

Arioco

That was fast. Too fast for my taste, TBH.

How about we wait untill we have some kind of evidence? Maybe a sentence?

Perhaps it's because I'm a lawyer but I was taught that everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a fair trial and I actually belive that should apply even to guilty people. This is not the way I think this situations should be handled. First you are proven guilty, then you get fired, not the other way around.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was NOT ever defending a pedophile. Stop that. It's disgusting how you're trying to accuse me of this.

yes you keep defending people attracted to teens and lower.

Sex with 15 yo isn't pedophilia. It's legal in many countries.

There are more..

You keep trying to change the definition for some reason. Honestly i think you better start deleting your HDD as I guess a few people have already repoorted you.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have already explained above that if you're accusing someone of a crime, you really should give a shit about terms.
No one does, so tough shit.

Pedo is a universally used piece of language for an adult trying to rape anyone who’s under age.

This disgusting middle aged old man with a wife and kids wanted a blow job of a little 15 year old mentally un-developed child.

The linguistics don’t matter and shouldn’t even be being brought up.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Perhaps it's because I'm a lawyer but I was taught that everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a fair trial and I actually belive that should apply even to guilty people. This is not the way I think this situations should be handled. First you are proven guilty, then you get fired, not the other way around.
You weren’t privy to the conversation Sony had with this guy. I though he’d be put on gardening leave, the fact that they’ve sacked him indicates to me that he didn’t defend himself.

Someone theorized that he might have admitted it to his employers. It would make sense because this happened so fast.

But you're right that it's up to the courts to determine what happens to him.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well look at that. Just as some of you posted above with more coverage, it's Monday morning. Time for news updates.

IGN wont cover it, yet NY Post will.

By the way, the Sony exec is 64 years old.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I disagree. There was plenty of evidence for Sony to act on and there is no reason for them to wait for the legal system to do its job. Sony did the right thing.

Whatever happened to people just being human beings without all of the sick, twisted shit? Power and greed seem to get the best of us...

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
There must be some big Sony ad buy on the horizon to bury this like that.
Actually the Dan guy is mostly right, except the terrible part of 'nobody knows the guy, so we don't care'. Then again posting it just because he works at Playstation is incredibly click-baity, kinda like The Verge posting any random shit to make Tesla look bad.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whatever happened to people just being human beings without all of the sick, twisted shit? Power and greed seem to get the best of us...
Some people are just wacko. Doesn't matter if they're rich or poor.

Although personally, I'd put more onus on richer, more educated and more established people. They should know better, went to school, probably had a much better life and guidance from family and friends. On the other hand, nobody should do crime, but to expect someone raised in a dirtbag family, poor and maybe abusing substances to kill time, you kind of give these people a bigger break. Expectations arent as high as a prim and proper rich career guy should act.

Last edited:

Relique

Most US states have an employment-at-will doctrine. Companies can fire for any reason or no reason at all as long as they don't discriminate, or fire for any reason that would break state or federal laws. Sony doesn't owe this guy shit. At any rate there are logs attached to the video, there are pictures, he gave his home address, and was standing outside waiting when they caught him. Unless someone very elaborately set him up for some reason this looks pretty damning. People get fired for much less.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Holy shit.

Is he wrong?

Had anyone who posted in this thread ever heard of George Cacioppo before last Saturday?

I did a quick google search on that name for every entry prior to December 3rd and the only George Cacioppo references I could find were the ones for a composer of weird eletronic music that has probably been dead for years.
There are more google entries of me when I google my own name than this guy (sure, it's region related, but still).

The guy had never given interviews, never wrote a PS Blog entry, never participated in podcasts, nothing. To the general public, he was just as anonymous as 99.99% of Sony's 110 000 employees.

It would be relevant had Sony not fired him, or had he committed crimes within Sony's premises, or there was proof/allegations of his bosses knowing of these crimes and covering for him.
Otherwise it's a crime whose perpetrator happens to work for Sony.

Is he wrong?

Had anyone who posted in this thread ever heard of George Cacioppo before last Saturday?

The problem with this line of questioning is that there's loads of people heavily important to the gaming industry you may not know about, and many of them keep a low public profile on purpose. You might not know who George Cacioppo is, but an IGN journalist telling me they don't know who he is when it turns out he had such a high level position at a gaming division at Sony is suspect.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is he wrong?

I did a quick google search on that name for every entry prior to December 3rd and the only George Cacioppo references I could find were the ones for a composer of weird eletronic music that has probably been dead for years.
There are more google entries of me when I google my own name than this guy (sure, it's region related, but still).

The guy had never given interviews, never wrote a PS Blog entry, never participated in podcasts, nothing. To the general public, he was just as anonymous as 99.99% of Sony's 110 000 employees.

It would be relevant had Sony not fired him, or had he committed crimes within Sony's premises, or there was proof/allegations of his bosses knowing of these crimes and covering for him.
Otherwise it's a crime whose perpetrator happens to work for Sony.
He's a high up employee at a company everyone knows, got caught in a pedo sting, and the people doing the sting had videos and chat images. Add it up and thats enough for a story. The guy is even wearing a corporate branded tshirt with the logo!

Just because he's not a familiar name doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Does anyone know who the execs are at Tesla aside from Elon Musk? I dont. I doubt anyone else does. He's the face of the company. But if the VP of Finance, Operations or HR did shady stuff, no news outlet should waste time talking about if they got caught red handed with media to show everyone? Of course people will talk about it.

The sting even had pics of his dick he texted over, but they censored those images.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

But IGN won’t cover it.

They just did....

As did GameSpot....

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Holy shit.

The reason why almost no news outlets covered it until this morning was because the initial tweet and the firing came on a weekend. I dont think too many game sites are going to cover this story and upload an article recapping the story on a Sunday afternoon at 5 pm.

But as suspected, once Monday morning rolls around, everyone caught up and did their bit this morning.

Even IGN. Goes to show how much IGN employee Dan Stapleton knows about his own company.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I have already explained above that if you're accusing someone of a crime, you really should give a shit about terms. It's not just calling someone dumb or idiot over internet, it's a serious accusation.

This is a weird hill to die on over semantics, dude.

I was fifteen once. Anyone over the age of fifteen had NO business with me. It doesn't really matter what other cultures believe or accept, in the west we go by whether or not someone has the capacity and the foresight to adequately consent to actions that physically or mentally affect them. A fifteen year old can't smoke, can't drive, can't vote, can't serve in the army. Definitely can't consent to sex with old men, not with the full knowledge and experience expected of someone making that decision responsibly.

Are you this semantic when people say something is lousy? "THIS THING DOESN'T HAVE LICE, GO READ A BOOK,"

HoofHearted

They just did....

As did GameSpot....

Pretty bullshit move after Stapleton's comments ...

Can't have it both ways ...

Not necessarily disagreeing with his stance ("Never heard of him. I bet that’s why you aren’t seeing anyone cover it - it’s a guy no one knows being implicated for crimes unrelated to his job. If Sony turned out to have known and protected him, or if he’d used his position to do it, that would be game industry news.")

But then to turn around and publish a story because others in the industry (gaming and now - mainstream) are now doing it is suspect....

He certainly should be called out for it... Either be a "fair and responsible" journalist or don't ...

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Pretty bullshit move after Stapleton's comments ...

Can't have it both ways ...

Not necessarily disagreeing with his stance ("Never heard of him. I bet that’s why you aren’t seeing anyone cover it - it’s a guy no one knows being implicated for crimes unrelated to his job. If Sony turned out to have known and protected him, or if he’d used his position to do it, that would be game industry news.")

But then to turn around and publish a story because others in the industry (gaming and now - mainstream) are now doing it is suspect....

He certainly should be called out for it... Either be a "fair and responsible" journalist or don't ...

Yeah, Holowka was accused of crimes unrelated to his job, and I'd certainly never heard of him, but you could HEAR the clanking of keyboards by eager Starbucks fueled journalists as soon as Zoe had finished. And he didn't get fired, he died. It's not about It's relation to gaming, it's about It's relation to the agenda being pushed, and how many clicks they expect from their dedicated demographic.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Pedophiles go after kids, which is the most disgusting crime in the world.

Going after a 15 y/o is not a pedophile - it's still illegal and creepy but it falls under a different name.

Before anyone says that I am defending him - I am not. But it's important to use words correctly or they will lose their meaning.
Agreed George is into Ephebophilia from the looks of things which is mid to late adolescence. still creepy and noncy imo.

I'm not defending Georgy boys actions by the way just stating facts.

I remember when Sony said they won't allow crossplay because it wouldn't be safe for the children. Ironic af in hindsight when one of the PSN bosses is a pedo.
So according to you Sony is responsable what this guy is doing in his private time? You are way out of line this comment. This has zero nadda to do with Sony. Sony did what they had to do fired the guy on the spot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom