• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, Tencent, Square Enix invested in a cloud game service provider called Ubitus.

yurinka

That's some new narrative or something. I wonder between Android and Apple who is the minority in the mobile market :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's the reality. A 20% market share is a minority of a market. Same goes with MS in consoles, if they have a 20% they are a minority. Doesn't matter if they sell more than Souljaboy and Ouya.

Regarding mobile, Apple is the top 2 manufacturer with a 27% market share:
https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile

If you compare Google Play vs Apple App Store revenue, Apple almost doubles it:

The thing is that while Apple has a store monopoly on iOS, Android is an open system with many stores and Google Play is only one of them. The biggest mobile market in the world is Asia, and there they have their own Android stores in China, South Korea, Japan and so on with tech giants like Tencent who have basically the monopoly there. I don't know the whole Android revenue, but when I did work making mobile games, Apple generated a bit more money from games than Android even if there were a gazillion Android phones more in the market.

TBiddy

Yes, all these things like game servers, PSN servers, PS Now servers, shops, websites, and so on are platform agnostic. One day can be running on Azure (or another one) and some day they can migrate it to AWS (or another one) because they got a better price deal. Another day they can migrate to Google (or another one) because of some scalability reason, etc.

I think (or rather, know) that you're really underestimating just how complex these things are. They aren't just going to move, because they get a better price somewhere else. It's a gigantic undertaking and it's extremely costly to migrate an entire setup like that.

I think (or rather, know) that you're really underestimating just how complex these things are. They aren't just going to move, because they get a better price somewhere else. It's a gigantic undertaking and it's extremely costly to migrate an entire setup like that.
Surely it's as simple as backup one server and restore to another?

/s

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I'm not sure why all the Azure talk... the company is not focused in infrastructure but streaming tech.
They can use any Could Infrastructure they want.
Original title said Sony would move away from Azure because they are investing in Ubitus. Until it was pointed out to OP that Ubitus runs on Azure and title was changed.

sendit

It really isn't. Infrastructure as a code is real and developers can adapt this to any platform with relative ease (AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud). This is a huge reason why cloud computing is booming. To simplify, you can literally have your whole infrastructure setup with a click of a button. You can even build service redundancy between different cloud providers with ease.

Last edited:
if they have a 20% they are a minority.
They are minority because out of all the home console group they have the smallest share. And even then nobody calls them minority but more like having smaller market share.

It really isn't. Infrastructure as a code is real and developers can adapt this to any platform with relative ease
Especially those guys that are using Cloud Formation :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Surely it's as simple as backup one server and restore to another?
With 5 minutes downtime. Single switch - and all services automatically transferred from SageMaker to Azure ML, from Lambda to Azure Functions.

It really isn't. Infrastructure as a code is real and developers can adapt this to any platform with relative ease (AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud). This is a huge reason why cloud computing is booming
It is certainly not booming due to the amount of cloud providers...

Last edited:

TBiddy

It really isn't. Infrastructure as a code is real and developers can adapt this to any platform with relative ease (AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud). This is a huge reason why cloud computing is booming. To simplify, you can literally have your whole infrastructure setup with a click of a button. You can even build service redundancy between different cloud providers with ease.

Absolutely it is. It depends on the complexity, of course, but you're not just clicking a button and *poof* you've migrated to AWS or Google. It's not happening.

onesvenus

hire the same outsourcing data center companies, who handle the majority of their physical servers
Can you provide more info on this?
I thought they were messing their own data centers. At least that's what Google and AWS claim to do

Shaqazooloo

I was going to add wasn't there a screenshot of a queue to play Control?
At launch it was pretty rough but afterwards it was smooth. Completed the entire game a few months ago and I was pretty impressed with it.

Their did seem to be an audio delay though.

CobraAB

For god sake... why are they continuing to persue this bullshit. Just sell consoles and sell games.

Do these companies not learn that nobody wants this, except as maybe an emergency access to games like Destiny when Xur has something good and you're away from home.
Well, for the price of ONE new game, you can get FOUR TO FIVE months of streaming many games.

Does sound kind of stupid I guess.

Bryank75

Banned
Well, for the price of ONE new game, you can get FOUR TO FIVE months of streaming many games.

Does sound kind of stupid I guess.
Only when you reach the end of those 5 months and realize you own nothing and can no longer access anything.

yurinka

Can you provide more info on this?
I thought they were messing their own data centers. At least that's what Google and AWS claim to do
These companies like MS, Google, AWS have their own data centers, but in addition them outsource many 3rd party companies, who own the majority of the data centers around the world.

These 3rd party companies work with many clients at the same time. They may have some server racks for AWS, other ones for Google and so on. But that it's transparent for you as client: you just hire X Azure/AWS/etc machines and don't care who owns the physical servers because its transparent for you.

If you have a big website, app and so on sometimes (not usual) people prefer to skip the AWS/Azure/etc layer, make your own server cloud and hire these data centers directly. It requires a lot of work and costs in development and maintenance, so typically people ends hiring AWS/Azure/etc because it's cheaper, faster and easier. Some extra info about data centers:

https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/colocation-market-1252.html

sendit

Absolutely it is. It depends on the complexity, of course, but you're not just clicking a button and *poof* you've migrated to AWS or Google. It's not happening.
One click is more of a statement on how relatively easy it is. Curious. What experience do you have on developing cloud applications to state that?

For example. You have code that identifies what infrastructure is needed. An AWS EC2 Instance is an Azure Virtual Machine. A function is a function. Linux is Linux. The services they (the top cloud providers) offer are pretty much in parity of one another. It isn't some massive tasking as you state it is. Will it require work? Yes.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft fans are going “now they may make a move” Sony actually does need cloud gaming.

DrAspirino

Banned
For god sake... why are they continuing to persue this bullshit. Just sell consoles and sell games.

Do these companies not learn that nobody wants this, except as maybe an emergency access to games like Destiny when Xur has something good and you're away from home.
Oh, but people DO want this, as well as publishers. Otherwise they wouldn't pursue the cloud.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
2038-Cloud-Wars_Featured-Image_.gif

TBiddy

One click is more of a statement on how relatively easy it is. Curious. What experience do you have on developing cloud applications to state that?

For example. You have code that identifies what infrastructure is needed. An AWS EC2 Instance is an Azure Virtual Machine. A function is a function. Linux is Linux. The services they (the top cloud providers) offer are pretty much in parity of one another. It isn't some massive tasking as you state it is. Will it require work? Yes.

I'm not a developer, but I spend my working hours within Azure.

Migrating a single server that isn't dependant on any other services might be simple enough. Moving an entire infrastructure? Not so much. Especially if you're relying on Azure services like Playfab.

Goalus

It looks like a lot of posters in this thread are emotionally hurt by the fact that Sony invested in a company whose entire business is built on Azure.

I wonder why?

John Wick

Lol, no?
If you want to have huge cloud service available around the world you have literally 2 options
1. You build it yourself
2. You will use Alibaba Cloud, AWS, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure

So yeah. Sony is not leaving Azure because the can't afford building their own infrastructure.
Why couldn't they afford it? It's probably about £10 billion investment for long term. It's just probably much easier to use a third party for Sony.

John Wick

That's some new narrative or something. I wonder between Android and Apple who is the minority in the mobile market :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Apple might be the minority in the mobile market in marketshare but when it comes to the profit you'll quickly realise Apple is the MAJORITY

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Why couldn't they afford it? It's probably about £10 billion investment for long term. It's just probably much easier to use a third party for Sony.
10 billion to cover whole earth with servers?
I think you underestimated the cost of building cloud network.

sendit

I'm not a developer, but I spend my working hours within Azure.

Migrating a single server that isn't dependant on any other services might be simple enough. Moving an entire infrastructure? Not so much. Especially if you're relying on Azure services like Playfab.

That's where platform agnostic code comes in. Playfab looks to be good for indie developers. However, most major developers/publishers probably have their underlying software and services fleshed out. Again, I'm not saying their won't be any work. Proper planning will be needed. Bugs will be expected. Infrastructure as a code is basically a server-less application.

You could even develop a multi-cloud solution relatively easy to ensure there isn't a single point of failure. Build redundancy between providers.

geary

People who say streaming will fail have no idea what the future hold. Azure was created in 2010, AWS was created in 2006, Google Cloud in 2008...In 10-15 years, cloud computing changed the internet landscape in ways we didnt imagine. In 10-15 year from now the gaming landscape can change also, it may not even resemble with what are we experience today.

John Wick

10 billion to cover whole earth with servers?
I think you underestimated the cost of building cloud network.
I think your mistaken. You don't need to cover the whole earth. You need the Americas, Europe and Asia. Your not gonna build a huge data centre where you only have a few customers. £10 billion is more than enough. Nearly $14 billion in usd. In 2020 total cloud infrastructure spend was $39 billion.

Godot25

Banned
I think your mistaken. You don't need to cover the whole earth. You need the Americas, Europe and Asia. Your not gonna build a huge data centre where you only have a few customers. £10 billion is more than enough. Nearly $14 billion in usd. In 2020 total cloud infrastructure spend was $39 billion.
You need to cover whole Earth if you want to have a gaming streaming service. Because longer the physical distance between you and cloud server, higher the latency.

It's insane how more smooth games are running through xcloud when I'm streaming from Polish servers as opposed to Germany servers.

"In 2020 total cloud infrastructure spend was $39 billion." yeah. That was in one year though...

John Wick

You need to cover whole Earth if you want to have a gaming streaming service. Because longer the physical distance between you and cloud server, higher the latency.

It's insane how more smooth games are running through xcloud when I'm streaming from Polish servers as opposed to Germany servers.

"In 2020 total cloud infrastructure spend was $39 billion." yeah. That was in one year though...
Yeah $39 billion for every single company combined including Amazon, Google, Apple, MS, Alibaba, Tencent and loads of others.
Sony don't need MS Azure capacity because they are only looking after Sony needs and not third party. So $14 billion is enough for Sony

Godot25

Banned
Yeah $39 billion for every single company combined including Amazon, Google, Apple, MS, Alibaba, Tencent and loads of others.
Sony don't need MS Azure capacity because they are only looking after Sony needs and not third party. So $14 billion is enough for Sony
If it was wise and financially reasonable for Sony to build their own cloud network they would so it don't you think?

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's expensive to build the infrastructure, but it's not expensive to rent it. People are under the wrong idea if they think any of these big companies take (proportionally) a lot of money from the companies that use it. The point is to have many costumers. And with competition, the prices become even better.

If one day these companies decide to act too cute, the market will be regulated and direct governmental intervention, so they won't. Probably one of the most pathetic and embarrassing things to watch in this forum though, watching fanboys making a meal out of cloud infrastructure.

Clown: "YO the energy companies making a killing yo, imagine all that money energy providers are making from Azure!".

giphy.gif

John Wick

If it was wise and financially reasonable for Sony to build their own cloud network they would so it don't you think?
I already answered that for you. It was you stating Sony couldn't afford it but they can as it's not hundreds of billions. I already answered that for you. "Why couldn't they afford it? It's probably about £10 billion investment for long term. It's just probably much easier to use a third party for Sony".

John Wick

It's expensive to build the infrastructure, but it's not expensive to rent it. People are under the wrong idea if they think any of these big companies take (proportionally) a lot of money from the companies that use it. The point is to have many costumers. And with competition, the prices become even better.

If one day these companies decide to act too cute, the market will be regulated and direct governmental intervention, so they won't. Probably one of the most pathetic and embarrassing things to watch in this forum though, watching fanboys making a meal out of cloud infrastructure.

Clown: "YO the energy companies making a killing yo, imagine all that money energy providers are making from Azure!".

giphy.gif
Is that why Azure is making a fortune for MS?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Is that why Azure is making a fortune for MS?

Yes. They have a lot of costumers, it’s recurring revenue, they have services on top of, companies all over the world use and pay for(including the US government). And that data is worth a lot of cheese too.

Sorry you don’t know this. Now you do. You’re welcome.

PS: Did you know that companies like MS and Amazon pay for internet access? It’s crazy isn’t it.

Last edited:

sainraja

All of these disadvantages (aside from latency) exist with video and music, and I've experienced them all personally too. Yet it's by far the #1 way people consume the media, people just don't care that much because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

The advantage is instant access on any device anywhere in the world to a ton of stuff for a low monthly cost.
Music & movies allow you to save them for offline use. Netflix allows you to do that and Apple Music, Spotify, whoever allows you to download or save your music playlists for offline use. Gaming can be done in a similar way but services that are solely focusing on streaming right now (e.g. Stadia & Luna) don't allow you to do the same. With gaming, as far as I can see right now, in order to have that kind of experience, there will always need to be dedicated hardware.

Comparing gaming to music/movies doesn't really work (I've made my own comparisons in the past so I get it). The reality of pulling out your phone and downloading a game for offline is probably very far or impossible; with movies and music, we can do that.

Last edited:

John Wick

Yes. They have a lot of costumers, it’s recurring revenue, they have services on top of, companies all over the world use and pay for(including the US government). And that data is worth a lot of cheese too.

Sorry you don’t know this. Now you do. You’re welcome.
"People are under the wrong idea if they think any of these big companies take (proportionally) a lot of money from the companies that use it". I suppose Amazon, Google and Apple aren't making anything from Cloud?

Top Bottom