• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sucks at porting games to PC

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sony is new to the PC market. But Nixxes is not. In fact they are an expert on PC games.
Nixxes did the PC version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which has an implementation of RT, using BVH hardware acceleration. So they know how to use the hardware.
I'm really puzzled on why Nixxes didn't do a proper implementation of RT and a better job with the streaming system.
Was Sony in such a haste to put this port out, that they didn't gave Nixxes enough time?

If I had to guess I'd say it has to do something with the way game was programmed and build around PS4 architecture. Rewriting it would be too much of a task so they work their way around it. I know where their office is in Utrecht, maybe I can team up with 22•22 22•22 and give them a visit?

Last edited:
Any game that had issues at launch has been fixed to the point where they are now they best versions of said game.

Horizon Zero Dawn is best on PC
Detroit Become Human is best on PC
Days Gone is best on PC
Death Stranding is best on PC
God of War 2018 is best on PC
Spider-Man Remastered is best on PC
Uncharted The Legacy of Thieves is best on PC
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is best forgotten
Spider-Man Miles Morales will be best on PC
TLOU P1 will be best on PC too

Sony's ports are mostly great.. with a few having issues in the beginning. They're not going to stop either. Their studios are learning from these releases.
Spider-Man is only best on pc with top of the line hardware. High end or below I’d preferable on ps5

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You can offload certain tasks designated for the cpu to other parts of the system on ps5 cause of standardized hardware since pc has a million configurations they can’t do that unless they make multiple versions of the game (and no one is gonna do that obviously)
What tasks?
Offloaded to what "other parts"?
And what non-standardized parts exist in PCs?

I havent met a consumer PC that has a bunch of ASIC parts willy nilly?

winjer

Gold Member
If I had to guess I'd say it has to do something with the way game was programmed and build around PS4 architecture. Rewriting it would be too much of a task so they work their way around it. I know where their office is Utrecht, maybe I can team up with 22•22 22•22 and give them a visit?

I would say not the PS4, but rather the PS5.
The PS5 has a hardware unit for decompression of assets from the SSD. And to save space on the small SSD, Sony is using some heavy compression.
The PC version is 20GB bigger, but it is still using a lot of compression. And without Direct Storage 1.1, it means that the CPU has to do the work.
Nixxes should have used a less aggressive compression system on PC. It would use more space, but the hit on the CPU would be much lower.
In the case of RT, we have to remember that RDNA2 does not have hardware for BVH acceleration, so it has to use the shaders or the CPU, to calculate structure. In the case of Spider-man, it uses the CPU for that.
But Nixxes would just need to call to DX12 feature set, more specifically, to DXR 1.0

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If I had to guess I'd say it has to do something with the way game was programmed and build around PS4 architecture. Rewriting it would be too much of a task so they work their way around it. I know where their office is in Utrecht, maybe I can team up with 22•22 22•22 and give them a visit?

Whitney Houston Reaction GIF

Pejo

The lack of exclusive fullscreen is my biggest issue with them, I cannot believe that it's not an option in the year of our lourde 20 + XXII.

winjer

Gold Member
I understand completely. But it's not such a bad port that "Sony, you have to be better than this" as you say, because clearly they don't.

But they do.
Uncharted is selling poorly. And Sackboy is almost not selling anything at all.
A bad port is not the only reason for these faliling sales figures, but it's one of the reasons.

Right now, I'm playing Uncharted 4. It's a good game.
But it would be much better if I didn't had to wait a whole week for a patch for the mouse bug.
Or if it didn't crash at random points. Or if performance was a bit better.

Last edited:
Isn't the reason people want a BB PC port to have better than the 30fps on the PS4? Who are these PC players who you think would do that and why do they not value their self-worth higher?
It's a joke because OP was complaining about the PlayStation ports and I had to name the best PlayStation game in the last couple of years that still hasn't been ported to PC and I don't think it will happen after all this time which is sad.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

It was with great enthusiasm that PC gamers received the news that more PlayStation games were getting ported to PC. But several of these PC ports have been abismal, with lots of problems.
Here are a few examples.

Spider-man for some reason, requires a CPU that is much more powerful than anything on a PS4 or PS5, just to run well enough.
It has Ray-tracing implemented, but the BVH traversal is done on the CPU, even of GPUs that have dedicated hardware for this. So performance is lower than what it should be.

Sackboy, has so many issues with stuttering it broke Alex Battaglia. During his review of the game, he couldn't even muster the strength to be angry, it was just lifeless disappointment.

Uncharted 4 had issues with mouse controls since launch and the first patch just made it worse. And it only got fixed a couple of days ago.
Steam forums are filled with people with issues with crashes, performance and graphic errors.

Horizon Zero Dawn had performance problems, and it took almost a full year for performance to be improved to a good level.

These are good games, but the PC ports are lacking in quality. This is bound to hurt Sony's reputation as a quality publisher, at least on the PC space.
Sony has to demand better from it's Studios, has to give more time for these games to be ported to PC, with the quality they deserve.
Sony, you have to be better than this.
That's PC gaming in a nutshell you numb nuts.

the kid mero crying GIF by Desus & Mero

chixdiggit

But they do.
But they don't.
Uncharted and Sackboy not selling well has very little to do with how they were ported. They could have been perfect ports and you would have seen similar interest. Keep in mind that both of those didn't exactly set Playstation on fire either.

winjer

Gold Member
But they don't.
Uncharted and Sackboy not selling well has very little to do with how they were ported. They could have been perfect ports and you would have seen similar interest. Keep in mind that both of those didn't exactly set Playstation on fire either.

Like I said, it's not the only reason for the bad sales.
Sackboy has a peak concurrent user count of 610 players on Steam. Uncharted has little over 10K.
They might have not sold huge numbers on the PlayStation, but the numbers on PC are pathetic.
Other ports of PC games have sold much better.

sainraja

Like I said, it's not the only reason for the bad sales.
Sackboy has a peak concurrent user count of 610 players on Steam. Uncharted has little over 10K.
They might have not sold huge numbers on the PlayStation, but the numbers on PC are pathetic.
Other ports of PC games have sold much better.
Others ports of games haven't been released so long after the initial release. You need to stop pretending as if the games (Uncharted) are completely NEW games when being put on PC. Most of us have played it already.

FYI - I got both Sackboy & Uncharted on PC but I don't really plan on playing them there for my second play-through. I tried both games on my PC and outside of stuttering I had no significant issues with them and my PC is kinda old at this point (I didn't build it and haven't really upgraded it in a while). I got it on PC simply to add them to my library for the added flexibility of playing it on the PC if I ever wanted.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Others ports of games haven't been so long after the initial release. You need to stop pretending as if the games are completely a NEW game when being put on PC. Most of us have played it already.

Plenty of people haven't played these games before. Get of your high horse.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
But they don't.

Uncharted 4 was such a failure for Naughty Dog ... Only 16 million copies sold (in Oct 2019), worse reviews than the Last of Us series. Don't understand why they bothered to port it, since PC gamers are much happier playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider for the umteenth time.
UEp2q6d.jpg

sainraja

Plenty of people haven't played these games before. Get of your high horse.
PC isn't the world. I am not on my high horse lol. Uncharted has been out for a LONG while now and got released on the PS5 too. The audience for it isn't all on PC, sorry.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony needs to step up the quality of their PC releases.
It’s ridiculous that way more powerful hardware runs into any issues at all.

winjer

Gold Member
PC isn't the world. I am not on my high horse lol. Uncharted has been out for a LONG while now and got released on the PS5 too. The audience for it isn't all on PC, sorry.

Let me explain this again. Many people have not played these games, so there is a market for them.
Other ports of Sony games have sold a few millions units on PC. Despite being old games.
But Uncharted and especially Sackboy, are failing to sell.
Even Days Gone sold better then these two.

What tasks?
Offloaded to what "other parts"?
And what non-standardized parts exist in PCs?

I havent met a consumer PC that has a bunch of ASIC parts willy nilly?
Say the 3070 can do a specific offloaded task but a 2060 can’t then the 3070 will never have that feature taken advantage of until it’s min spec

squarealex

It was with great enthusiasm that PC gamers received the news that more PlayStation games were getting ported to PC. But several of these PC ports have been abismal, with lots of problems.
Here are a few examples.

Spider-man for some reason, requires a CPU that is much more powerful than anything on a PS4 or PS5, just to run well enough.
It has Ray-tracing implemented, but the BVH traversal is done on the CPU, even of GPUs that have dedicated hardware for this. So performance is lower than what it should be.

Sackboy, has so many issues with stuttering it broke Alex Battaglia. During his review of the game, he couldn't even muster the strength to be angry, it was just lifeless disappointment.

Uncharted 4 had issues with mouse controls since launch and the first patch just made it worse. And it only got fixed a couple of days ago.
Steam forums are filled with people with issues with crashes, performance and graphic errors.

Horizon Zero Dawn had performance problems, and it took almost a full year for performance to be improved to a good level.

These are good games, but the PC ports are lacking in quality. This is bound to hurt Sony's reputation as a quality publisher, at least on the PC space.
Sony has to demand better from it's Studios, has to give more time for these games to be ported to PC, with the quality they deserve.
Sony, you have to be better than this.
You PC is just too weak or... especially with bad softwaring..

The PS4 exclusive is not a random multiplat game with One Fat DDR3 dumb edition targering.
The PS5 is worse... PC don't have a good API for supporting I/O decompress and SSD Rate... (Still no Nvidia I/O or DirectStorage) + you are stuck with DX12 wich we already see have many problems with sttuttering... (FF VII Remake run well when you force DX11 but full of stuttering on DX12)...

winjer

Gold Member
Say the 3070 can do a specific offloaded task but a 2060 can’t then the 3070 will never have that feature taken advantage of until it’s min spec

What are you talking about? Can you be more specific on what feature can't the 2060 use?

Embarrassing thread. Get yourself a master race PC rig if you are not satisfied.

Sony ports seem to be, at the very least, average, and in quite many cases, above average. Be thankful you're getting anything at all.

I've never seen a more entitled userbase than some segments of the PC community.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Embarrassing thread. Get yourself a master race PC rig if you are not satisfied.

Sony ports seem to be, at the very least, average, and in quite many cases, above average. Be thankful you're getting anything at all.

I've never seen a more entitled userbase than some segments of the PC community.
Never go full dirty peasant. No amount of master race rig will fix the retarded mouse aiming on patched U4.

sainraja

Let me explain this again. Many people have not played these games, so there is a market for them.
Other ports of Sony games have sold a few millions units on PC. Despite being old games.
But Uncharted and especially Sackboy, are failing to sell.
Even Days Gone sold better then these two.
Uncharted has already sold over 16 million copies on consoles (if you count the previous entries even more). Perhaps the PC crowd isn't interested in a game like Uncharted and that's fine also, but didn't it just come out? Why are you expecting it to have crossed whatever milestone to be considered a good seller on PC? It probably doesn't even need to sell as much as it did on console. It's also not a multiplayer game so I don't see the point of counting who is/isn't playing it and besides it is a bit irrelevant to the topic of this thread which has to do with performance.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Uncharted 4 was such a failure for Naughty Dog ... Only 16 million copies sold (in Oct 2019), worse reviews than the Last of Us series. Don't understand why they bothered to port it, since PC gamers are much happier playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider for the umteenth time.
What does that have to do with the Legacy of thieves collection that was also released on PlayStation 5?
Of course Uncharted 4 did good on PS4. Were you expecting PC players to go gangbusters over two 6 year old PS4 ports priced at $50?

sainraja

Never go full dirty peasant. No amount of master race rig will fix the retarded mouse aiming on patched U4.
Why would you play an adventure game with a mouse?! 😬

What does that have to do with the Legacy of thieves collection that was also released on PlayStation 5?
Of course Uncharted 4 did good on PS4. Were you expecting PC players to go gangbusters over two 6 year old PS4 ports priced at $50?
I think that's the point he's making. Some people on PC are somehow expecting people to go "gangbusters" over two 6 year old PS4 ports priced at $50. The series has done pretty well on the PS4 and now it is being put on PC. Expecting it to do the same after many have already played it is silly.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

What are you talking about man?

What task would you offload to a 3070 that the 2060 couldnt handle slower?

Isnt that literally what happens right now.
You send render tasks to the GPU, the 3070 does those tasks faster than a 2060 so your frametime goes down your frame rate goes up.

winjer

Gold Member
Uncharted has already sold over 16 million copies on consoles (if you count the previous entries even more). Perhaps the PC crowd isn't interested in a game like Uncharted and that's fine also, but didn't it just come out? Why are you expecting it to have crossed whatever milestone to be considered a good seller on PC? It probably doesn't even need to sell as much as it did on console. It's also not a multiplayer game so I don't see the point of counting who is/isn't playing it and besides it is a bit irrelevant to the topic of this thread which has to do with performance.

There are several reasons why PC gamers are not very interested in Uncharted.
What I'm saying is that the bad port is one among those reasons.

I played the previous entries on the PS3, so I have an attachment to the saga. But I can understand that for a lot of PC gamers, it doesn't hold the same appeal.

Raonak

Banned
Beggars can't be choosers. Be happy that you even get these ports. Or just boycott them to show sony not to waste money on PC leftovers.

If you want to play a playstation game as it was meant to be experienced... Buy a PS5.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If you want to play a playstation game as it was meant to be experienced... Buy a PS5.

Days Gone is one of my favourite PlayStation games. I have it on PS5 and PC. It’s an inferior experience on PS5.

Gran Turismo 4 is my second favourite racing game. A PlayStation game. I can’t even play it on PS5. It runs and looks beautiful at x3 the resolution on my Steam Deck.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. A PlayStation game. You need to stream it on PS5. I played it on PC yesterday at 4k 60FPS.

I can go on and on. It seems like my PC is a better PlayStation than my PS5.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Days Gone is one of my favourite PlayStation games. I have it on PS5 and PC. It’s an inferior experience on PS5.

Gran Turismo 4 is my second favorite racing game. A PlayStation game. I can’t even play it on PS5. It runs and looks beautiful at x3 the resolution on my Steam Deck.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. A PlayStation game. You need to stream it on PS5. I played it on PC yesterday at 4k 60FPS.

I can go on and on. It seems like my PC is a better PlayStation than my PS5.
This ain't chief

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I got a joke post deleted and earned some points for it. What are those points for? I need a new pair of sneakers.

BTW I haven't played those Sony games on PC since I already did on the PS4, but I really doubt those ports are as bad as people claim them to be. Try the "my first PC port" Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition or Binary Domain with it's busted control scheme for actual bad ports.
Some people are way too entitled. Bro if your PC can't handle the game maybe it's not always the game's fault you know.

Top Bottom