• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony still makes pretty good consumer products imho. *fapfapfap*

Status
Not open for further replies.

v4gr4nt

Has anybody tried the SRS X9 or the X7? Is the price diference worth it? I'm thinking of buying the X9, but I think it may be to much for my needs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sony's design chops are the first thing to get me to consider switching from iOS to Android, so I concur.

KevinRo

Samsung employ Koreans and buy parts from companies using North Korean labour from the Kaesong industrial park. Sony employ mostly Japanese assembly with a few factories in Eastern Europe and Mexico that screw a few things together and they buy parts from Sharp and AUO who do not have access to cheap North Korean labour. That's the basic problem. .

Whoever told you this is bullshitting you. I'm kind of afraid that you came to this conclusion on your own. They have no presence there. Infact, I don't think you know what exactly goes on there.

Numerous FTA have kaesong built parts excluded. It's a grey area that is focused on heavily, even on the FTA that Korea has with the U.S.

Before you start pointing problems at labor and whatnot I think you should do more research on the company that is bleeding billions of dollars that you love so much. Their industrial base comes from the same part of the world that Samusng's does: China and Vietnam.

I would primarily blame the Japanese economic stagnation, currency valuations and trade agreements. They're behind the Koreans on many fronts. Cheers.

longdi

Banned
Has anybody tried the SRS X9 or the X7? Is the price diference worth it? I'm thinking of buying the X9, but I think it may be to much for my needs.

Not that i have though it is in display here.

But i usually just buy the best im comfortable with paying, else i will feel somethings are missing and later on may fork out more money to compensate for the difference (psychological or real)

t-storm

My ears will take nothing other than Sony MDR 7506s for ultimate aural perfection. There is nothing better. Thank you and goodnight.

JJD

Whoever told you this is bullshitting you. I'm kind of afraid that you came to this conclusion on your own. They have no presence there. Infact, I don't think you know what exactly goes on there.

Numerous FTA have kaesong built parts excluded. It's a grey area that is focused on heavily, even on the FTA that Korea has with the U.S.

Before you start pointing problems at labor and whatnot I think you should do more research on the company that is bleeding billions of dollars that you love so much. Their industrial base comes from the same part of the world that Samusng's does: China and Vietnam.

I would primarily blame the Japanese economic stagnation, currency valuations and trade agreements. They're behind the Koreans on many fronts. Cheers.

Lol, I wonder why you're being so aggressive...

Zomg isn't a fanboy. Dude is a well know poster here on GAF. He is an analyst for some corporation if I'm not mistaken.

sarcastor

Sony has an amazing design staff but incompetent managers and executives.

I was rocking this back in 2003. The first version didn't even play MP3s which lead them to lose the portable audio market to the Ipod

51V1CGRTJ1L.jpg

Raonak

Banned
Got a xperia Z1, and it has amazing asthetics, such an amazingly sexy phone.

PS4 and vita are nicely designed too.

The Sony laptop I owned was seriously a P.O.S. It had a blu ray player on it, i3 processor, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, and only a 3 hour battery. I think my family paid about $800 for it back in 2009-2010(can't remember) after returning the macbook we bought (thought it was overpriced at the time). Looking back we should have kept the macbook. Now have a Macbook Air and I seriously can't use any other laptop.

I do like Sony TVs and have one in our house (don't use it as much since the Panny is the TV in our game room).

PS3 (fat model) has been excellent and I absolutely love it. Had a VITA but the OS really killed the experience for me. Don't have a PS4 yet but will probably get one soon.

Cameras and phone look cool and hope I'll get to try them someday.

It always seems like Sony falls short on crucial aspect though. Like OS experience, being a tad bit overpriced, marketing the stuff that matters, etc.

elty

Sony used to invent all kind of crazy stuffs, when everyone else just reiterate their main product line. Of course those that only reiterate product lineup made most profit, just look at Apple.

Loved my MiniDisc.

gogogow

Sony has an amazing design staff but incompetent managers and executives.

I was rocking this back in 2003. The first version didn't even play MP3s which lead them to lose the portable audio market to the Ipod

51V1CGRTJ1L.jpg

Eh, not really, Sony lost because they went with the crazy ass expensive MD format, while others went with MP3. They didn't went with MP3, because they probably associated it with piracy. When they finally released their digital music players it was already too late and they STILL didn't support mp3 like you said, but their own atrac format. Stubborn Sony is stubborn.

longdi

Banned
I'm certainly considering dumping my 600D for the A6000

Yes A6000 is so awesome. Not often you see camera of succeeding last gen with major improvements. Sony makes pretty damn good cameras!

Another award, gold award and 80% ratings at the highly critical dpreview. Their text sounded more glowing than their scores, probably nit-picky about A6000 lack of some small thingies.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6000/13

Overall Conclusion

The a6000 is one of Sony's first E-mount cameras to eschew the NEX branding that first introduced the company's range of mirrorless cameras around four years ago. And, while it may look very similar to the NEX-6 that preceded it, the cumulative effect of the changes means it's a very different camera. In part that's because of the rate of technological progress at Sony, but it's also because Sony has finally decided to pair a fully photographer-focused user interface with its impressive image makers.

So, while the a6000 may see its viewfinder downgraded compared to the NEX-6, just about everything else is a step forward. And this isn't just a step forward for Sony: we've not before seen a camera at this price able shoot so fast and track focus so well, nor one that offers such complete control over its movie shooting. And, for that matter, it's not just a step forward for mirrorless cameras: we'd struggle to think of another camera in this price bracket that offers so much in the way of stills and video capability in such a coherent package.

The final word

The a6000 is a really solid camera and is better than its predecessor in almost every respect - anyone worried about Sony cutting corners to hit a lower price point should be reassured that it has done so intelligently. The result is a really capable camera, offering impressive image quality in both Raw and JPEG modes, plus class-leading video features. That it then does so in a small, convenient, well featured and competitively priced package is what really seals the deal for us. It's strong in all areas and outstanding in some.

mekes

Got my RX100M3 today and wow. WOW! Very happy with it, all round excellence, I'll get some amazing use out of this tiny camera.

Lubricus

Eh, not really, Sony lost because they went with the crazy ass expensive MD format, while others went with MP3. They didn't went with MP3, because they probably associated it with piracy. When they finally released their digital music players it was already too late and they STILL didn't support mp3 like you said, but their own atrac format. Stubborn Sony is stubborn.

Plus they never had a good music manager program and wouldn't let anyone else make a decent one for them.
I've got a Walkman in a shoebox somewhere that I used twice and said "fuck this shit". Went with a Sandisk player after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom