• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sold PS5 in UK almost as many as all the other platforms combined (almost) in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
As I told Dforce a week ago about system sales, you cant go by what you see on shelf. His theory is a system that is seen on shelf (Series S) will lead to more sales because what you dont see (online) means zero sales.

Goes to show online orders for PS5 zoomed past other consoles because I'm pretty sure stores arent setting up piles of boxes at store.

Console sales are so skewed to online orders fast, I bet most stores dont even bother putting any out. Walmart Canada had pieces of paper taped up to the glass shelf saying next gen consoles are sold online.

I gave you clear evidence that the Xbox Series S was in stock which would help contribute to more console sales during the month of July because the PlayStation 5 was out of stock.

Your argument was, "Just because it's stock, that doesn't mean it's selling."

It was just an absolutely stupid argument. You tried to come up with every excuse in the book not to admit that Xbox Series X|S had more stock than the PlayStation 5 console and it helped sell more units.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I dont disagree.

But some people have a theory because some systems are seen at shelf thats why it'll win monthly sales contests. When in reality, next gen systems are so heavily skewed to online orders, it can win out no problem as stores seem happy to just ship it to people from their warehouse. As PS5 did.
I never said that means they will win. I said they had more in stock and they're still selling units which will help in overall sales.

The fact that it's no longer in-stock at best buy at my location shows people were buying it. It doesn't matter how much or how small, if the PlayStation 5 is out of stock and Xbox Series consoles are selling, you're likely going to see the outcome in the NPD results.

You don't want anything to ruin your theory that it's because of Game Pass and the Xbox showcase.

Bryank75

Banned
Imagine all the 5, 6 and 7 nm that is going to phone production...... what a waste. Could be used to make consoles instead and bring people joy and memories instead of people looking at some crap app on a tiny screen all day with tin-y shit sound quality.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
fUTMVmN.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never said that means they will win. I said they had more in stock and they're still selling units which will help in overall sales.

The fact that it's no longer in-stock at best buy at my location shows people were buying it. It doesn't matter how much or how small, if the PlayStation 5 is out of stock and Xbox Series consoles are selling, you're likely going to see the outcome in the NPD results.

You don't want anything to ruin your theory that it's because of Game Pass and the Xbox showcase.
Again thats not true.

PS5s are basically impossible to find on shelf in any country yet it's sold 10 million. Same with Series X. I've never seen either of these on shelf ever. Doesnt mean they arent selling and Series S on shelf will swoop in and lead to top sales.

As I said, online orders are huge. Theres more to sales then just what you see with your eyes at a store's game shelf.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Again thats not true.

PS5s are basically impossible to find on shelf in any country yet it's sold 10 million. Same with Series X. I've never seen either of these on shelf ever. Doesnt mean they arent selling and Series S on shelf will swoop in and lead to top sales.

As I said, online orders are huge. Theres more to sales then just what you see with your eyes at a store's game shelf.
Why aren't you reading what I'm saying?

What does the NPD cover?

Is it just the US or other countries you keep bringing up? Does NPD cover monthly sales or they report LTD numbers?

I discussed this with you several times and you still don't get it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why aren't you reading what I'm saying?

What does the NPD cover?

Is it just the US or other countries you keep bringing up? Does NPD cover monthly sales or they report LTD numbers?

I discussed this with you several times and you still don't get it.
This is a UK thread.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Congrats to Sony on managing to make stock available, hopefully we'll see an end to scalping and stock alerts for all consoles soon.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This is a UK thread.
You brought up our last conversation in this thread when I specifically told you I was talking about the NPD results from June. You kept bringing up worldwide sales and figures from other regions outside of the US.

If you going to bring up my name, then do a better job reading what's actually going on first.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You brought up our last conversation in this thread when I specifically told you I was talking about the NPD results from June. You kept bringing up worldwide sales and figures from other regions outside of the US.

If you going to bring up my name, then do a better job reading what's actually going on first.
If you still want to go with you "I see Series S on shelf so thats why Xbox sold more last month", go ahead. It's obvious you used that assumption to try to make an excuse.

This thread just proves online sales are a much bigger factor than you going by what you see on shelf (which is what you tried to do to downplay Xbox last month). Ad thats what I've been trying to teach you the whole time.

PS5 outsold all other platforms combined, yet I highly doubt UK gamers are buying PS5s from stacked up piles at stores.

I bet the majority of gamers with next gen systems got them from onlne orders vs. walking into a store and seeing it. Thats the point I'm making which you dont get.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If you still want to go with you "I see Series S on shelf so thats why Xbox sold more last month", go ahead. It's obvious you used that assumption to try to make an excuse.

You seriously lack common sense.

This thread just proves online sales are a much bigger factor than you going by what you see on shelf (which is what you tried to do to downplay Xbox last month). Ad thats what I've been trying to teach you the whole time.

Several people in the thread showed you that the Xbox Series S was available ONLINE.

I told you it was available online.

We gave you LINKS that it was available online IN THE US.

200.gif

So you admit that online sales were bigger for the Xbox Series S In the US when it has been in stock online for WEEKS now.

The reason Series S is seen on shelves is because people aren't rushing to buy them. I have seen shops regularly doing small price drops or value added bundles like half price controller/game just to move stock of S.
Maybe in other countries, but in US the S stock would be normal new console stock allocation of XSX and PS5 were not constrained. So there's no need for deals to get rid of stock as that would imply there's over shipped surplus which is unlikely since some areas are still sold out of XSS in the country too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You seriously lack common sense.

Several people in the thread showed you that the Xbox Series S was available ONLINE.

I told you it was available online.

We gave you LINKS that it was available online IN THE US.

200.gif

So you admit that online sales were bigger for the Xbox Series S In the US when it has been in stock online for WEEKS now.
Even when there's threads saying PS5 won (even selling as much as other platforms combined) and PS5 is impossible to find on store shelves, some reason you still dont understand that console sales can be huge from online orders which override whatever bits of sales that make it to store shelves. And thats why it sold more.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Even when there's threads saying PS5 won (even selling as much as other platforms combined) and PS5 is impossible to find on store shelves, some reason you still dont understand that console sales can be huge from online orders which override whatever bits of sales that make it to store shelves. And thats why it sold more.
We're not talking about other regions or combined sales. We were only talking about the sales data from June in the US. That's about a 30 day period.

You have a reading problem, dude. I don't know why I have to repeat myself so many times.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We're not talking about other regions or combined sales. We were only talking about the sales data from June in the US. That's about a 30 day period.

You have a reading problem, dude. I don't know why I have to repeat myself so many times.
Xbox won that month and you needed a reason to downplay it. So your proof of better sales was due to your snapshot of your local 6 stores had some Series S stock (not all them even had stock). And that was proof of Xbox selling more as a country? Got it. LOL.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Xbox won that month and you needed a reason to downplay it. So your proof of better sales was due to your snapshot of your local 6 stores had some Series S stock (not all them even had stock). And that was proof of Xbox selling more as a country? Got it. LOL.

Did I post proof that it was in-stock online or not?

Did you just tell me that online sales are much bigger?

I want you to answer those two questions directly.

Orta

Banned
I think a line should be drawn through UK Playstation owners. All they buy is Fifa every year. EVERY year.

Probably because for some crazy reason, they and Microsoft refuse to sell them in actual stores.
I bought my PS5 in an actual store on launch date (after camping out over night weeks before to secure a preorder). They had Series X too, but I already pre-ordered that online.

Kokoloko85

This. UK was historically Xbox's 2nd biggest piece of territory outside the US. If they lose UK, then Xbox litterally is no longer an international force; Xbox would just became a National console.

The 360 was just about UK land over the PS3 even with though it has a year’s extra sales and was cheaper.
PS2, PS4 sold more over Xbox and X1 In the UK.

England is Playstation territory, Xbox lost it ages ago

ZehDon

Nice to PlayStation getting some stock onto the shelves... even if they don't last long. Hopefully they can continue the supply coming.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nice to PlayStation getting some stock onto the shelves... even if they don't last long. Hopefully they can continue the supply coming.
It looks like they're just diverting their supply to different regions which is why I presume they finished 3rd in the last NPD. They will probably give UK most of the attention until Septemberish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom