• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should publish PSP and Vita games on Switch

Castef

Banned
I was thinking about this (and also wrote about it, in italian): Sony is sitting on a treasure in terms of games developed explicitly for PSP and Vita.

It should really port those games on Switch.

Facts: Sony no longer have a portable platform to push and IPs such as Patapon and Invizimals are dead.
Yet, those games would be perfect on Switch and could be ported with very few efforts.
Imagine LocoRoco, Patapon, Eye of Judgement and Invizimals ported to Switch: they are all games very well suited for the Nintendo hybrid console.

I'd go even further and say that some PlayStation Move games would probably work (and sell) well in Switch too. I wonder, for instance, if the Wonderbook series could somehow be adapted on Switch.

Publishing those games on Switch - maybe under a specific label - would NOT damage the PlayStation brand and would probably provide Sony with a good amount of money (even with minimal efforts - like, outsourcing the ports).

So, sitting on a pile of gold, etc, etc...

Kokoloko85

Or just make a PSP3 and have the PS4/PS5 library downgraded like how Steam Deck is having steams library downgraded and Switch has console games on the go.

Vita died because it didnt have enough games, no L2/R2 buttons to port console games and a crappy memory card. All of those things are no longer an issue with current portable hardware

Considering we're seeing stuff like Ori on Switch and MLB The Show on Xbox and Minecraft on everything and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash and crossplay and all that, I don't see why not. 1st party companies are more willing to work together than ever before. This ain't the 16 bit era anymore.

Only problem is, Nintendo won't provide the same courtesy.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You want this place to implode, paisà?

Some people would have to acknowledge that the Switch has games, while pulling their hair out at Nintendo *ahem* stealing their games.

Me? Bring all the effing games. As unwieldy as the Switch is, thinking about the PSP’s screen these days makes me one sad panda. It was as TN as TN can get - move it a pixel up or down, and bye bye colors. Resolution aside, not really better than the DS’s screen.

Although software emulation is never my preferred way of playing games, Sony had a pretty good PSP emulator on PS4 which I'd think completely rules out making games for Nintendo.

DrAspirino

Banned
I was thinking about this (and also wrote about it, in italian): Sony is sitting on a treasure in terms of games developed explicitly for PSP and Vita.

It should really port those games on Switch.

Facts: Sony no longer have a portable platform to push and IPs such as Patapon and Invizimals are dead.
Yet, those games would be perfect on Switch and could be ported with very few efforts.
Imagine LocoRoco, Patapon, Eye of Judgement and Invizimals ported to Switch: they are all games very well suited for the Nintendo hybrid console.

I'd go even further and say that some PlayStation Move games would probably work (and sell) well in Switch too. I wonder, for instance, if the Wonderbook series could somehow be adapted on Switch.

Publishing those games on Switch - maybe under a specific label - would NOT damage the PlayStation brand and would probably provide Sony with a good amount of money (even with minimal efforts - like, outsourcing the ports).

So, sitting on a pile of gold, etc, etc...
Gosh...so many good memories. Patapon would be the perfect fit for the Switch, as well as the original Little Big Planet game for PSP.

LocoRoco, Patapon, Ape Escape, PaRappa the Rapper, Echochrome, Umjammer Lammy... those would be awesome on the Switch, and Sony is literally shitting in its golden legacy saga, which many of us grew with and love dearly.

In fact, the very proof those games would be insanely good on switch is the Crash Bandicoot nsane trilogy. True, those games were originally for PS1, but you could also play them on PSP and they looked great on that portable console. Those games look great on Switch and are a perfect fit for it.

Damn you Sony for killing those sagas and the Vita!!!! :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Or just make a PSP3 and have the PS4/PS5 library downgraded like how Steam Deck is having steams library downgraded and Switch has console games on the go.
Point Finger Up GIF by Neurads

Charge more from 3rd parties, as much as Valve, Microsoft, Apple (30%). If they make a portable version as well, drop the fee from 30% to 15%. Sony, gimmie a call, also acquired GENKI and remake Tokoy Xtreme Racer .....

bender

What time is it?
Nintendo should buy Clap Hanz, shove Camelot out of a window and create the best Mario Golf/Tennis the platform has ever seen.

CamHostage

Makes sense. They already release their exclusives on PC. Why not profit from handheld catalogue by dumping them on Switch.

They'd go Android or iOS/Apple TV. The equivalency isn't for Sony to go to a competitor (although Apple and Google and even Valve are constantly looking for ways to drink their milkshake,) but to go to a more open market.

It'd also make more sense given that the Android audience seems to love PlayStation Portable games, via emulation. PSP game is a weirdly a highly-searched term set, and devices now can play it near-perfectly. The people are out there, although Sony would have to price it low to create a market against "pirate for free." (BTW, It still seems crazy to me that Crisis Core still doesn't have an HD port.)

...Of course, Sony could also go on doing nothing with these old portable games and that would just be that.

Last edited:
Nintendo should just put all their AAA stuff which didn't, as the OP says, "sell well", or sold under 3 million units or slightly above, on Playstation, like they recently allowed with The Wonderful 101.

I'm thinking:

Bayonetta 1+2 collection (3 as well once it releases, because we all know it won't sell as well on Switch as the 2 competing consoles)
Astral Chain
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Bravely Default
Bravely Default 2
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Kirby Star Allies
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

And much more.

Come on, Nintendo, do it! You went third party with your IP, The Wonderful 101, anyway. What difference does it make for all these titles?

Like the OP implies for Sony, Nintendo too only cares about money/profit, right?

DO IT!

Do It GIF

Top Bottom