• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should bring back MotorStorm, beginning with a remake of Arctic Edge for the PlayStation 5

OutRun88

Most of the devs are with Codemasters or Playground games, so probably at best another moneyhat.
Yeah as much as I’d love to see another Motorstorm, it would likely be nothing more than the name.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Bring back? Hell yes.
Remake? Please no. Its an old game, with limited physics, AI, and no new engine features.

Just do something from the scratch, with a modern engine, make use of full potential of new hardware.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It'd be pretty hard since they killed Evolution. I think Sony's come to the conslusion that racing games aren't big sellers anymore, so they're just going to stick with GT.

Yeah me too, PlayStation has always had good racers, From Wipe out to Colin McRae, Motorstorm, Driveclub, GT, The old formula one games, Toca etc

I used to do all my racing on there but I've found more joy on other platforms in recent years, mainly with Forza MS and Horizon and Project Gotham, and migrated to PC for sims.

They really need to Knock it out of the park with GT7 because that's all they really have now, they really need a good Arcade style racing game. I can't believe they killed Driveclub off, I know it was rough around the edges and the launch was catastrophic but a sequel with the power of PS5 would have been glorious.
Driveclub looked amazing. It's too bad about the bungled launch because I would have liked to see what they might have accomplished with a sequel or a new MotorStorm running on an improved version of the game engine.

Bring back? Hell yes.
Remake? Please no. Its an old game, with limited physics, AI, and no new engine features.

Just do something from the scratch, with a modern engine, make use of full potential of new hardware.
Wouldn't a "REMAKE" address everything you said?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm very disappointed we didn't get any Motorstorm remasters/remakes for the PS4. It's one of the few bigger PS3 games Sony didn't make available for PS4 players. Frankly I don't think it's going to change with how Sony is ignoring the racing genre except for Gran Turismo.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I don't want a remake, unless it's of the first game. That said, I'm in favor of reviving the franchise, but with a new game. I just wonder how easy it will be to recapture the essence of a franchise that was created by a different team. There was a certain adrenaline rush I would feel playing these games that I'm not sure is formulaic. I feel like the development team themselves had a certain feel they were looking for, and that failing to recapture that with a new game only results in disappointment and wasted investment that could have gone to a new franchise that the PS5 developer might have preferred to make. Motorstorm might just be one of those franchises lost to history due to the divorce from Sony.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'd love to see a remake of the OG Motorstorm, from all the installments it had IMHO the best setting/atmosphere, than infamous E3 2005 trailer doesn't look impossible anymore with the modern day tech.

mancs

Agree , but if one can play this game , I'd say. Sony , please , go back to early90s pc titles as inspiration , bloodwych !!!! For a starters ;p

I'd love to see a remake of the OG Motorstorm, from all the installments it had IMHO the best setting/atmosphere, than infamous E3 2005 trailer doesn't look impossible anymore with the modern day tech.
I was obsessed with the original MotorStorm when it was first revealed. MotorStorm and Eight Days although we all know what happened to the latter unfortunately. Since then I haven't felt the same way about any new launch titles. But if Sony were to revisit the IP, they should definitely be able to pull off the graphical fidelity of the CG trailers.

Last edited:
Motorstorm MV and PR were my jam, more than 10K online races on PR alone and got me some World Records on there. Wasn't a fan of Apocalypse and didn't even bother trying the RC game.

I'd rather have a new game that was in the spirit of the first 2 games, nor would I mind seeing some of the old tracks from the first 2 popping up on there as well. Too many remasters these days, make some new games for Christ's sake.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Motorstorm 1 and 2 were among the best racing games of the PS3 era; and Driveclub the best of the PS4 era.

Unfortunately, Evolution studios got shuttered. Which in my opinion was a big mistake. DC had a rough start but it had so much room to grow and it filled the simcade spot in Sony's lineup; while GT filled the sim spot and plenty of third party titles filled the full-on arcade spot. Now there's a big hole in the racing genre for me, nothing quite feels like Driveclub..

Fox Mulder

The playstation really lacks a quality arcade racer. MS has a nice thing going with Forza Horizon sharing tech and assets with Forza Motorsports and getting different audiences.

If Sony was disappointed with Driveclub and Evolution Studios, I wish they could have still put them on another Motorstorm. That studio and staff are stuffed in a closet at Codemasters somewhere now making shit with Slightly Mad Studios, so maybe Sony just knows more than we do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom