• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony seeing 'very considerable' PS5 demand ahead of launch - Reuters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
playstation-careers-campus-photo-01-us-19mar19

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp is seeing “very considerable” demand for its PlayStation 5 (PS5) console via pre-orders, its gaming chief said on Wednesday, as users rush to secure the next-generation device ahead of its Nov. 12 launch.

The Japanese tech company pre-sold as many PS5 consoles in the first 12 hours in the United States as in the first 12 weeks for its predecessor PlayStation 4 device, Jim Ryan, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said in an interview.

“The demand as expressed by the level of pre-order has been has been very, very considerable,” Ryan told Reuters.

Sony, which went on to sell more than 100 million PS4 units, aims to persuade its user base to upgrade to its new device to play titles like “Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales” with enhanced graphics, sound and feedback via a new controller.

PS5-Preorder-Traffic-Crashes-Gamestop-Servers.jpg

The launch comes in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic that has boosted gaming companies’ revenues but also disrupted retail networks, games development and manufacturing supply chains around the world.

“It may well be that not everybody who wants to buy a PS5 on launch day will be able to find one,” said Ryan, adding the company is “working as hard as we ever can” to ensure supply for the year-end shopping season.

Sony has built a network of in-house studios producing exclusive titles, including “Ghost of Tsushima” from Sucker Punch Productions, to fend off rivals including Microsoft’s Xbox and new entrants.

Sony’s will continue to grow its studio capability organically Ryan said, adding that “where we can bolster our in-house capability with selective M&A that might be possible.”

EaaPnT-X0AkIYMy.jpg

Analysts question how far the expansion in gaming driven by stuck-at-home consumers will continue longer term, with Ryan saying it will be up to Sony to drive that engagement.

“We’re definitely looking upwards and thinking that we can do better than we thought we could,” Ryan said.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If i can get a unit on launch day, do i want one? PS5 or XSX. Is the demand going to be so high that they outsource manufacturing to 3rd parties/contractors and we see a knock-on effect on quality?

Here I believe we might still find some on the shelves in Oman, not sure how would that be around the globe. But no they can't outsource that simply, they need new factories, probably automated and in the Japanese soil.

Hope Amazon/Sony do not fuck my preorder....after the Cyberpunk event would be sad.

Don't worry too much. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
Here I believe we might still find some on the shelves in Oman, not sure how would that be around the globe. But no they can't outsource that simply, they need new factories, probably automated and in the Japanese soil.
I meant in terms of putting it together on an assembly line, not the creation of parts.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
When they become readily available (like the 3080 RTX), i'll get one. I'm not playing this nowinstock game. I don't understand why retail doesn't have a queuing system and limitations per household.

Sony is doing so here, they write your name/number. PS5 preorder here was easy to secure as you must pay full price upfront.

We don't have Xbox though, no one really gives a shit anyway about it here.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
For anyone that wasn't able to pre-order, check your local Costco. Stores should have them on launch day.

Costco has their own type of vig for that availability, an extra something you won't want for an added price, here in Canada they really had a bad deal with the Xbox.

If you're REALLY desperate The Shopping Channel in Canada had units almost a day later after they hit because their "bundle" was so shit and vigged up.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Duh... you don't have to be a genius to know there would be massive demand. Alot of people are home bound for the most part this year and there's always a shortage of Sony consoles at launch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Where is here? Assuming not the US. In the US, it is a battle royal.

A country you don't know, but it's geomapped in my profile. Oman. A population of 4.2M. Never seen Xbox Series X|S preorders, and you don't usually see them officially here as most of them are just imported from the US, and they are extremely rare to see in person although you can easily buy them when available.

Kokoloko85

And PS5 is getting bigger and PS Studios getting more mature. Plus it's the easiest console to develop for ever, so more flow of games going forward.

Lets hope so. Looking forward to hearing about the new team who’s working on the rumoured Uncharted title And the other teams being made from the Bigger team

Nubulax

Christmas 2020:

Kid: Mommy, can I have a PS5?

Mommy: They are all sold out.

Kid: Okay, A series X?

Mommy: They are also sold out.

Kid: Okay, a Series S?

Mommy: Sold out, sorry.

Kid: Just order a fucking Switch.

"All sold out" XD

As of right now my closest Target is getting 10 PS5, 6 Series X and 10 Series S for initial/first shipments(could still be more close after no clue).. None of the PS5 Digital. Im shocked there are more Series S over X

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Its not like back in the old days when 12 year olds were begging their parents for a console at Christmas. We grew up gamers and the average gamer age now is 30 something. Plenty of people with disposable income to buy them like hotcakes.

Allandor

So what does this say? Absolut nothing, because both were sold out at any time even in those 12 weeks. Question is, how many units do they deliver.
The big problem are the scrappers for all hyped products in these times.
I really hope that most units get delivered directly to real consumers, but I somehow fear that a big chunk of those consoles will be sold on ebay for much higher prices.

Ozzie666

Looking so forward to November 12th, picking up a lot of games I normally wouldn't. Haven't been this excited for a console launch since the Ps2.

Is Sony sounding too humble about wording it "Considerable demand", did anyone ever think anything otherwise? PS4 is the most sold console of current gen and overall second most console of all time. PS4 exclusives killing it consistently and people are hyped as hell to jump into next gen after being faithful to PS4 for 7 years. So yeah considerable demand is putting this lightly, i am hyped as hell to get the PS5. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony struggles to sell PS5 just because they can't meet the insane demand spike from consumer. Not everyone is going to be able to get the PS5 later this year :(

I would love to see the initial world wide numbers for pre-order. The PS5 blew off the digital shelves so quickly it broke sites. It is good to see interest in the PS5 be higher than that of the PS4 on pre-release.

We all know the real reason for it being a hot item: Demon's Souls.

Top Bottom