• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony save/file/game system

Beechos

Maybe i'm doing something wrong but this is one of the main reasons i avoid messing with my ps5 so many QOL issues. So ive played the final fantasy 7 remake on ps4 like everyone else, stopped and now decided to jump back into it with the ps5 version. Thought i could just load the game and continue playing since the saves should be in the cloud, nope says i have to upload the ps4 save to the cloud then redownload it inside the ps5 versions. So i check my cloud saves and the ff7 remake save is there but nowwhere to be found in the ff7 ps5 menu. Then i read more carefully and i have to upload the save data from INSIDE OF THE PS4 VERSION?!?!?!?!?
Holy shit a person would need to have both versions of the game installed at the same time to transfer the save!!! Luckily i have a big external drive and never deleted the ps4 version otherwise i wouldve had to download 50+gb to transfer a 200mb save. Geez sony wtf or maybe its squaresoft i need to be mad at. Do all crossgen playstation saves work this way going from a ps4 to ps5 version?

****update*** started uploading my saved games and i have to do this shit 1 save at a time!?!?!? Arghhhh

***update 2*** the insanity coninues.. here i thought i could upload the saved games 1 at time and download them all inside the ps5 version. So instead the way this works is upload 1 save inside of ps4 version close game, open ps5 version download 1 save and rinse and repeat. Wow just wow....

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The save transfer system on PlayStation definitely needs work. When I replaced the hard drive in my PS4 I had to manually download all of my saves from the cloud. Moving to PS5 was also manual upload and download for each game. Would be so much easier if they just automatically sync across devices. Nintendo suffers from similar frustration moving between Switch consoles.

Beechos

I think u need Ps+ and have to manually save to the cloud.

The only games I have experience in this regard vis UC4 and TLOU2, in which I had to start from new.
Err now that you mention ps+ people who dont sub to it are they screwed out of their save files and start all over? I dont see anyway/option to transer the save via usb.

Last edited:

Beechos

A PS4 version save file doesn't work for PS5 version. It's up to the developers of the game to implement that feature.
Wow that kinda sucks i mainly game on xbox dont think ive have this prob before why the hell developers wouldnt implement it for the sony systems.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I was shocked when i found out that my PS4 Spiderman save didn't work on my PS5 Spiderman. Lost all my progression and couldn't start game+ mode for the same game with just prettier graphics.

Zannegan

Its certainly an area they need to improve.

On xbox one all my saves were automatically saved to the cloud, so on seriesX everything just works. On ps4 nothing saved to the cloud.
When migrating over to the OLED, I was surprised to find that the Switch works very similarly. If you go to start a game you've played on another system, it tells you if there's undownloaded save data and for which users. Download (or not) and go.

It may be a slightly worse version of what's on XBox for all I know (I don't have a Series to compare), but I was suprised to find it so functional after the nightmare that was migrating over 3DSs in past years.

Not a huge deal, but it's a nice feature.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I find amusing how people overreact about this. I mean, it’s so silly, just go into the game and upload the file, it’s not hard, it’s not a hill with dying for lol
How is this overreacting when something so simple should be there from start and need to be plug and play without all the hassle. I have over 50h in Spiderman on my PS4 Pro and i bought there latest console with the PS5 Spiderman bundle. And what do i find out, that my save file is not working on the PS5 version and i have to restart everything. Outside its graphics and load times there are no differences between both versions and no reason to block the PS4 save file.

Beechos

I find amusing how people overreact about this. I mean, it’s so silly, just go into the game and upload the file, it’s not hard, it’s not a hill with dying for lol
And how do you do this if one deleted the ps4 version or traded it in to get the ps5 version or have no ps+ since it only takes cloud saves for conversion my good sir ??

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
A PS4 version save file doesn't work for PS5 version. It's up to the developers of the game to implement that feature.

Wow that kinda sucks i mainly game on xbox dont think ive have this prob before why the hell developers wouldnt implement it for the sony systems.
Yeah Sony has had a long standing practice of unloading these kinds of features on developers instead of providing a broader solution. It doesn't mean they won't eventually get their act together, but until then it's up to the development studios to decide if they are going to implement it and how painful it will or won't be.

See voice chat implementations on ps3 for a great example.

Tommi84

While I agree it's up to developers I believe this should be enforced by Sony that the saves are compatible between PS4/PS5

arvfab

Banned
I was shocked when i found out that my PS4 Spiderman save didn't work on my PS5 Spiderman. Lost all my progression and couldn't start game+ mode for the same game with just prettier graphics.

Was it added in one of the first updates? Because I definitely continued my PS4 platinum save on Spiderman Remastered and it was near launch. It also automatically unlocked all the trophies for the PS5 version.

Starhowl

>PS4 saves aren’t uploaded automatically to cloud for free
>Meanwhile Xbros are getting this service for free
>PS4 savegames can be imported to PS5 via complicated process
>Meanwhile Xbros are able to import their cloud saves from Xbox 360 all the way to Xbox Serie X like a breeze
Snoys regularly celebrating their “State of Play” 🤡

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
SmARt DeLIVerY iS JuST A MarkTInG BuZZWoRd

Spongebob-Squarepants-Meme.jpg

93xfan

Banned

It’s easy to forget and sometimes overwrite your progress. It’s an outdated system.

ZywyPL

Banned
It' an absolutely terrible solution, it basically negates the whole idea of cloud storage in the first place. I wonder how many people are there who haved sold their PS4 already and jumped onto PS5, only to find they have to start their games from scratch?

The Shepard

You only have to do it once, it's not the end of the world. I've had xbox saves not upload automatically and when I've changed consoles I'm at an earlier save, used to bug me playing streets of rage 4 across 2 xbox consoles. Neither is perfect.

Mr Hyde

One of the most annoying things with this whole PS4 - PS5 things is which version the PS5 installs. If you have a PS4 version with a free PS5 upgrade, the PS5 continually keeps installing the fucking PS4 version as soon as I put the disc in. Fix this shit Sony!!

cormack12

Gold Member
FFVII is an outlier but yeah that stung me too. Most should be a simple case of copy/paste unless you are going from the ps4 version to the ps5 version.

Even stuff like Valhalla isn't seamless (iirc you need an ubisoft account for their cloud saves to auto migrate cross platform)

arvfab

Banned
One of the most annoying things with this whole PS4 - PS5 things is which version the PS5 installs. If you have a PS4 version with a free PS5 upgrade, the PS5 continually keeps installing the fucking PS4 version as soon as I put the disc in. Fix this shit Sony!!

Has been fixed for ages.

Bartski

Gold Member
same in Death Stranding, it's not really just an upload but file conversion to make it PS5 format or sth

arvfab

Banned
It' an absolutely terrible solution, it basically negates the whole idea of cloud storage in the first place. I wonder how many people are there who haved sold their PS4 already and jumped onto PS5, only to find they have to start their games from scratch?

Automatic save uploads is turned on on default once you have PS+ and on PS5 it automatically downloaded any save for the PS4 games I installed. Only troublesome transfers were the ones you had to manually upload ingame for next-gen updated games, something which will be gone as soon as cross-gen ends...

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Not for me. PS5 still does it.
Strange, they changed the UI to have a separate icon for each version of a game on the menu. When I put a PS4 disc in of an upgraded game, it shows the PS4 icon with the button to copy the game. Icon vanishes once disc is removed.

FranXico

The SDK already added save conversion capability, see Skyrim for example, where you just import the saves through a menu. Sony should have kept formats for compatibility, but they didn't.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Sony has always been a bit janky on saves. Same as not being able to put them (PS5 saves) on USB - not everyone uses Save Wizard Sony ffs!!

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Strange, they changed the UI to have a separate icon for each version of a game on the menu. When I put a PS4 disc in of an upgraded game, it shows the PS4 icon with the button to copy the game. Icon vanishes once disc is removed.

I have separate icons and it's very clear which version is which, but it still insists copying and installing both versions.

Dr.Morris79

What the fuck is this stance :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So whats your thoughts on people who traded in their Ps4 for a Ps5?

This is just a shitty Sony practice. When your competitor is running rings around you in a certain department it's not then your users fault that you're shit.

Mr Moose

Download the save from your PS+ cloud save to your PS5.

Go to Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
Select Saved Data (PS5) or Saved Data (PS4).
Select Cloud Storage and select a game > Download to Console Storage.

I think u need Ps+ and have to manually save to the cloud.

The only games I have experience in this regard vis UC4 and TLOU2, in which I had to start from new.
It does it itself if you have it set to do it automatically in the settings, which I think is on by default.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I have separate icons and it's very clear which version is which, but it still insists copying and installing both versions.
Don’t bother with arguing about this. There are people here who don’t actually own a PS5 and don’t experience this so they’ll fight to the death to try to disprove it. It’s a super annoying bug that they claim was fixed last year but it still happens.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I believe the PS5 now supports directly loading your PS4 cloud save into the PS5 version, but it wasn't supported from the start and few games use it so far.

ManaByte

I believe the PS5 now supports directly loading your PS4 cloud save into the PS5 version, but it wasn't supported from the start and few games use it so far.

I don't think any game does that yet.

We'll have to see how Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy does it next week.

Top Bottom