• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica Hiring For 'Large-Scale New Project'

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
People really think GoW is on par with Platinum/From on a gameplay point of view? I liked GoW but there’s no way it matches the combat depth, enemy variety and skill ceiling that games like Astral Chain, Sekiro, Bayonetta or DMC (the Kamiya ones) had.

It’s not even a criticism of the game, it’s just that to me it doesn’t even try to compete with those.

You really think game journalists can appreciate a game like Bayonetta? You really think there is the same amount of marketing and brand recognition between God of War games (which exist since 2006 or something) and P* games?
Nah God of War isnt on par, it’s magnitudes better.

The only thing those games have better is enemy variety.

GOW more than makes up for it in graphics, story, presentation, lore, production, level design, purpose.

Combat is heavier and feels better too.

Buggy Loop

Nah God of War isnt on par, it’s magnitudes better.

The only thing those games have better is enemy variety.

GOW more than makes up for it in graphics, story, presentation, lore, production, level design, purpose.

Combat is heavier and feels better too.

The level design? Really? That’s exactly the worst part of GOW imo. It’s all so linear, the paths are all perpendicular to the hub and don’t intertwine. For a game that kind of had a « Metroid » aspect of it where you can revisit and unlock previously inaccessible areas, they’re so far behind in level design.

It’s a showpiece in presentation and art, with a very cool lore borrowed from Norse mythology, that’s about it. The painted ledges (TM) which is now I guess a staple of Sony games, also doesn’t really respect player intelligence. It’s made for a large audience, it sold accordingly.

Doom85

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

New IP? Something unexpected to really catch us off guard? Whatever it is, can’t wait to find out more.

God of War 2018 > Nier Automata

Sorry bro

Wait What Reaction GIF by Willie Jones

Whoa now, I loved GOW 2018, but I’m going to have strongly agree to disagree.

Topher

Gold Member

New IP? Something unexpected to really catch us off guard? Whatever it is, can’t wait to find out more.

I liked GOW better than Nier, but they are very different games. Not really sure why these games are even coming into the conversation about what Santa Monica is doing next.

RevGaming

Didn't like that the second playthrough was the same as the 1st one but from another perspective. The graphics could've been a bit better. The story is awesome, but not as good as GOW.

Anyways, GOW was the best game from last gen, followed by the first game of my avatar, so I'm so hyped for this year's offerings.

Last edited:

RevGaming

I liked GOW better than Nier, but they are very different games. Not really sure why these games are even coming into the conversation about what Santa Monica is doing next.
Because there's always a minority that are the loudest of the loudest and always have to downplay a game that is popular.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At this time, Santa Monica Studios has 17 open positions it's looking to fill for its next AAA project, and they range from programming and art production all the way to quality assurance staff, making this a mid-sized expansion of its production capacities. Overall, this seems to be a continuation of Santa Monica hiring for a large-scale project from a few months back, but fans will need to wait a bit longer still if they're interested in what the project might be.

Zeroing

Banned
God of War only won that much accolades because it appeals more to mainstream. It’s a decent game with great presentation , but that’s about it . Casual plebs wouldn’t even bother to learn JC or learn the depth of the combat system in DMC , they rather just spam one or two buttons and feels good. Hence these games will never be as well received or as popular as Sony games.
Lol have you even played the game! Have you tried to beat the Valkyrie’s???

Top music billboards are also filled with trash that are nowhere near genre defining bands. So what?

I like GoW on PC, don’t get me wrong, but the gameplay is nothing to write home about.
Where the hell are the Sony exclusive bashing opinions coming from recently? Its like a mix of reviosnist history and console/pc port warring. The main reason why GOD of WAR 2018 won GOTY over Red Dead Redemption was because of the combat.

Last edited:
Cory’s project has been in the works for a long time. Given the size of their current studio I would imagine they’ll have three projects on the go.

They have a 3rd team that does smaller projects or help other studios.
They always have, I believe. The scale of their recruitment and the size of that studio leads me to believe they aimed to have three large projects on the go at one time, but obviously the cancellation of their Sci-fi game put a large spanner in the works.

Mr Branding

Wth am I reading? I know that drama sells but guys, come on. We can like both Gow2018 AND Bayo/Dmc without getting offended since each game has it’s own ups and downs. Not everything is about who/what is better, it’s not a contest, we can enjoy multiple things jeez

CosmicComet

"Genre-defining games"

They've didn't even managed to make a better action game than Platinum and Capcom, what are they even talking about?
I know right?

They only managed to make better reviewing (in outlets and user reviews and fan votes) and better selling titles than either while being restricted to one platform.

Santa Monica sucks because their games dont have as many combo vids on YouTube.

Wth am I reading? I know that drama sells but guys, come on. We can like both Gow2018 AND Bayo/Dmc without getting offended since each game has it’s own ups and downs. Not everything is about who/what is better, it’s not a contest, we can enjoy multiple things jeez
There is no drama. Its just Gaf being Gaf.

Drama is created for no apparent reason. We have DMC, Bayonetta and Capcom featuring in this thread. Fuck knows where it all came from but the drama is present here, about a thread regarding SSM hiring for a new project.

Phil Spencer could be tying his shoelaces and there'd be console warring going on. It's really irritating.

SSM hiring for a new project should be exciting news for gamers. New IP's are always welcome.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
GoW 2018 was one of the best games of its type ever made. Certainly the best title to ever come out of a Sony 1st party studio.

There are quite a few games I personally rate higher, but objectively I find it hard to fault the game in any way. Its just a fucking fantastic effort all round.

Hezekiah

Banned

At this time, Santa Monica Studios has 17 open positions it's looking to fill for its next AAA project, and they range from programming and art production all the way to quality assurance staff, making this a mid-sized expansion of its production capacities. Overall, this seems to be a continuation of Santa Monica hiring for a large-scale project from a few months back, but fans will need to wait a bit longer still if they're interested in what the project might be.
The rumour was a space RPG wasn't it.

Can't wait until Cory decides it's time to unveil it though, reckon he will be reinvigorated to work on a fresh IP.

yurinka

Let's hope it's a single player focused, DLC free new IP by Cory.

I think that the unannounced multiplayer and GaaS games we know they have, they already have enough MP and GaaS games.

Thought it was just two, not sure they're big enough for three.
393 employees listed on LinkedIn. Enough to have 3 teams, being two of them at full steam and other on early stages with a small team, before scaling to full production. But yes, I'd count 2 games.

"Genre-defining games"

They've didn't even managed to make a better action game than Platinum and Capcom, what are they even talking about?
I don't play awards, and no amount of "muh awards" will make a game fun

Also, God of War 3 was a much better game.

mel blatt gtfo GIF by All Saints

Last edited:
Top Bottom