• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica´s cancelled IP "Darkside" (Cory Barlog)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Hair

Banned
Searching on the web, we spotted a interesting portfolio website about a former Game Developer & 3D Concept Designer: Erik San Juan. He worked at Santa Monica for: Kinetica (PS2), God of War (PS2), God of War II, God of War III (PS3), God of War Collection (PS3), God of War Saga (PS3) and God of War Ascension (PS3), until April 2014.

Here are the information we collected:

• It’s a futuristic game, maybe it is set in 2034;
• It could be about worlds exploration;
• Some character take part in a mission called “Ark Mission Genesis – A.D. 2034”;
• Some characters’ name: August, Donovan, NightHorse;
• There are some strange humanoid creatures (aliens?), similar to mutant fishes;
• These creatures ride some kind of bison with unicorn;
• There’s a group of refugees or mercenaries;
• There are drones;
• There is a kraken-like creature;
• Enemies could be skeletal monsters with long arms;
• There are creatures similar to dinosaurs;
• You could scan new creatures for information about DNA and Origin;
• A lot of uniforms.

Before the new God of War game, it seems that the California based developers were working on another IP (intellectual property) code named Darkside. Unfortunately, the title was cancelled (or at the very least, put on hold). Now, concept art images have leaked, giving us a look into a world that may never be.

A few years ago, the studio underwent some budget cuts and layoffs. Darkside was an unannounced project that, due to the layoffs, was seemingly scrapped.

FBAOzLq.jpg

Xie1HnX.jpg
FeCbyIZ.jpg
TA3RPrq.jpg
yhPDOmB.jpg
otIwnkl.jpg
P3i3L17.jpg
Gxy0s5D.jpg
ugTc9N9.jpg
dv2pFTR.jpg
PPQ0Eav.jpg
ubfILvd.jpg
kzkEdpC.jpg
J052WOZ.jpg
DeQvgP8.jpg

old threads about a new SSM ip, could this be Cory´s new baby? If they have been working on this since then (partially, part-time), we could see a teaser at PSX. I´m intrigued! I like the concept, look. The project got cancelled around 2017+ (2014+) for a God of War reboot (2018).

Idea, source for all of this (kind of) update:
The State of PlayStation: A Comprehensive Update on the Future of PlayStation (reddit)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Searching on the web, we spotted a interesting portfolio website about a former Game Developer & 3D Concept Designer: Erik San Juan. He worked at Santa Monica for: Kinetica (PS2), God of War (PS2), God of War II, God of War III (PS3), God of War Collection (PS3), God of War Saga (PS3) and God of War Ascension (PS3), until April 2014.

• Some character take part in a mission called “Ark Mission Genesis – A.D. 2034”;
• There are some strange humanoid creatures (aliens?), similar to mutant fishes;
• There are drones;
• A lot of uniforms.

Before the new God of War game, it seems that the California based developers were working on another IP (intellectual property) code named Darkside. Unfortunately, the title was cancelled (or at the very least, put on hold). Now, concept art images have leaked, giving us a look into a world that may never be.

A few years ago, the studio underwent some budget cuts and layoffs. Darkside was an unannounced project that, due to the layoffs, was seemingly scrapped.

FBAOzLq.jpg

Xie1HnX.jpg
FeCbyIZ.jpg
TA3RPrq.jpg
yhPDOmB.jpg
otIwnkl.jpg
P3i3L17.jpg
Gxy0s5D.jpg
ugTc9N9.jpg
dv2pFTR.jpg
PPQ0Eav.jpg
ubfILvd.jpg
kzkEdpC.jpg
J052WOZ.jpg
DeQvgP8.jpg

old threads about a new SSM ip, could this be Cory´s new baby? If they have been working on this since then (partially, part-time), we could see a teaser at PSX. I´m intrigued! I like the concept, look. The project got cancelled around 2017+ for a God of War reboot (2018).

The State of PlayStation: A Comprehensive Update on the Future of PlayStation (reddit)
The new IP at Santa Monica was cancelled in 2014. It was codenamed "N7."

And no, Cory Barlog isn't going to just rework a dead project that someone else created. He'll probably just create a brand new IP.

oldergamer

Just to get ahead of Fanboys shitting up a thread as retaliation. Projects get cancelled all the time. no point in making a big deal out of it, no matter if its Sony or MS. It doesn't mean Sony is losing a handle on its studio, it doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. It doesn't point to serious problems. Games literally start and stop development all the time for various reasons. If anyone here has worked at large studios or publishers you will know exactly what i mean. end of story.

Stuart360

Games get cancelled all the time, by all the big three. Most of the time we wont even hear about them.

Having said that this was always my most wanted game, just like Scalebound seemed to be for a lot of people on here. :messenger_beaming:

Great Hair

Banned
The new IP at Santa Monica was cancelled in 2014. It was codenamed "N7."

And no, Cory Barlog isn't going to just rework a dead project that someone else created. He'll probably just create a brand new IP.
Hmm ok will update OP. Thought Cory was behind this. Thanks.

It was called internal-7 and they speak about it at lengths in „raising kratos”
Still need to watch taht one. Thanks.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

• There are drones;
• A lot of uniforms.

FBAOzLq.jpg

Xie1HnX.jpg
FeCbyIZ.jpg
TA3RPrq.jpg
yhPDOmB.jpg
otIwnkl.jpg
P3i3L17.jpg
Gxy0s5D.jpg
ugTc9N9.jpg
dv2pFTR.jpg
PPQ0Eav.jpg
ubfILvd.jpg
kzkEdpC.jpg
J052WOZ.jpg
DeQvgP8.jpg

old threads about a new SSM ip, could this be Cory´s new baby? If they have been working on this since then (partially, part-time), we could see a teaser at PSX. I´m intrigued! I like the concept, look. The project got cancelled around 2017+ for a God of War reboot (2018).

Please update your thread OP, this was not Cory Barlog's game but Stig Asmussen failed project. Which led him to resign and go to Respawn.

Cory could be dusting this off if he was lead writer on it. I mean it would make sense to dust off all that work if it just needed someone who can get stuff done.

But I heard Cory has his own original game he's working on.

Great Hair

Banned
Please update your thread OP, this was not Cory Barlog's game but Stig Asmussen failed project. Which led him to resign and go to Respawn.

Cory could be dusting this off if he was lead writer on it. I mean it would make sense to dust off all that work if it just needed someone who can get stuff done.

But I heard Cory has his own original game he's working on.
Already reported it (asking for a change).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom