• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Requires You To Login Weekly To Access PS Plus Extra Games (Downloaded games) (Gamebyte) (Sony Blogpost)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is basically it. One week is enough time to sort out any connection issues for most people. You just need to sign-in to do the handshake and then you can continue playing as normal. It's also not so much time that people could just disconnect and play the games indefinitely, which would harm Sony's bottom line.

It might sound like defending Sony here, which normally I would not do in terms of the big corporation versus the little guy. But the very nature of the Plus service (and Game Pass too) is that you do not own the games - you just have a temporary license to use them, like a gloried rental service. From the very start this has been the biggest objection many people have had to subscribing to these services, so people now acting surprised about this is puzzling to say the least.

I don't think enough young people understand the bolded at all!

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Good lord, what year is it?

We’ve had digital services for a while now. It’s a sub-based service. Authentication is fairly standard. Sure, you can argue that weekly could be a bit much, but in reality it probably won’t affect too many people. If it does, it will change as Sony will lose subscribers at that tier at that point.

yurinka

This is basically it. One week is enough time to sort out any connection issues for most people. You just need to sign-in to do the handshake and then you can continue playing as normal. It's also not so much time that people could just disconnect and play the games indefinitely, which would harm Sony's bottom line.

It might sound like defending Sony here, which normally I would not do in terms of the big corporation versus the little guy. But the very nature of the Plus service (and Game Pass too) is that you do not own the games - you just have a temporary license to use them, like a gloried rental service. From the very start this has been the biggest objection many people have had to subscribing to these services, so people now acting surprised about this is puzzling to say the least.
Yes, it's only a quick periodical verification to double check the subscription/rental is still active. Nothing strange or bad, but some people seems need to act as super concerned or outraged at any Sony news.

I don't think enough young people understand the bolded at all!
I think everybody understands that if you unsubscribe from a subscription you lose access to its content until you resubscribe.

It works like that in all subscriptions, even outside gaming with Netflix and so on.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think everybody understands that if you unsubscribe from a subscription you lose access to its content until you resubscribe.

It works like that in all subscriptions, even outside gaming with Netflix and so on.

Then why do so many seem so "concerned" with this news? Plus they don't seem to understand the difference between this and MS Xbox in 2013.

Kind of conflicted why people are subscribed to digital services but they go mad if they need to log in like once a week.
It's not a cloud only service. If it was then it would make sense but the games you're downloading are the same as the games you have installed. Gamepass gives you a month which makes sense because you already paid for your month of games by subbing.

It's not a cloud only service. If it was then it would make sense but the games you're downloading are the same as the games you have installed. Gamepass gives you a month which makes sense because you already paid for your month of games by subbing.
I'd say a once a week check is better than what Gamepass is doing. Xbox requires you to have that "home console" work around enabled, and you can only flip it on or off a few times a year, and as we just saw recently, some people couldn't enable that setting for days locking them out of almost all their games.

I'd say a once a week check is better than what Gamepass is doing. Xbox requires you to have that "home console" work around enabled, and you can only flip it on or off a few times a year, and as we just saw recently, some people couldn't enable that setting for days locking them out of almost all their games.
Yes your home console is well your primary console I.e not a console you're simply sharing your games with. Otherwise you'd be able to go to everyone you know and have your account saved on their consoles granting everyone access to Gamepass.

The way the sharing system works on Xbox is fine because it allows you to share your gamepass and games with up to 3 devices(2 consoles, 1 PC) and an unlimited number of people on your home console. This way you can play the same games simultaneously together with up to 3 people.

dcmk7

Banned
People ripped Xbox to shreds about this in 2013 and now PS are doing it, it’s ok. Interesting. 🤔
Atrocious rewriting of history there.

You don't own anything on a subscription service for a start not to mention users can opt to monthly subscribe which needs governing.

Last edited:

Jormatar

Hard to see this being a problem in 2022. All of us will have some access to internet at least once a week.

MHubert

I remember when you had to go all the way to the gas station to deliver back the movie you rented with a 2 day limit in the 90's. If you think that having to sign in every 7 days for an online renting service - that you yourself signed up for - is violating your consumer rights and is the indicament of a dark future where you can't go camping with your ps5 in the wilderness for a month you are out of your mind.

AmuroChan

1. This is really only a problem for those who routinely goes 7+ days without internet.
2. If you have auto-login set up, this isn't even an issue for you.
3. If you don't have auto-login set up, that means you're intentionally entering your ID/pw every time you turn on the machine anyway.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You guys know GamePass and Switch Online also require checks to make sure you're still subscribed, right?

This is nothing like online DRM checks to play games you own.

How many days does GamePass and Switch Online check in between? 7 days?

yurinka

Then why do so many seem so "concerned" with this news? Plus they don't seem to understand the difference between this and MS Xbox in 2013.
Any Sony news that can be remotely twisted to make it sound as bad will have around some concerned drama queens using the #FuckJimRyan hashtag.

And in this case, most -if not all- not interested on PlayStation, to get the higher tiers of PS+ or to get them and being over a week totally offline, without a phone.

Last edited:

yurinka

For the same reason they block cross-play/cross-progression in a lot of games and don't allow the refunding of digital purchases.
Lies, they allow cross-play and cross-progression, it's up to the dev if they want to implement it. And they do refund when makes sense (when you buy a game or dlc and doesn't work properly), at least here in Europe.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
For the same reason they block cross-play/cross-progression in a lot of games and don't allow the refunding of digital purchases.

That’s why I don’t buy non-exclusive games on Playstation. PC or Xbox Gamepass

Kagey K

Banned
You know PS has the same home settings for ppl that "gameshare" right.

They are entirely identical in that if the service goes off your non home console is fucked.

Moses85

Login to an ONLINE Service

What a

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

ZywyPL

Banned
That’s not how it is, you just lose access to the games until you log in, after that you have another week until you need to log in again, etc.

So if you actually bring the console to the summer cabin in the woods without internet, connect the console to your mobile phone and use internet sharing to connect to the servers, then play for another week.

So in other words - the games from PS+ just won't be playable offline? That's still bad obviously, but nowhere near as bad as I initially thought this is all about.

Fredrik

So in other words - the games from PS+ just won't be playable offline? That's still bad obviously, but nowhere near as bad as I initially thought this is all about.
Yes they’ll be playable offline but once a week you need to go online to do a quick ping to the servers to validate your license.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes and no, ps+ lowest tier (gold equivalent) you don't need to check every week....For the 2 higher tiers you need a check once every week if you want to continue playing offline...And for cloud gaming ....huh..... you just can't play them offline, I know it seems obvious but even the most obvious seems to be missed by a lot of people on this thread so just in case.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
As long as the collection of games available is stable this is not a huge deal. If you go offline you can just get back online and this requirement becomes more or less invisible.

But if games go in and out of rotation, it could be a real nightmare to lose access to a game you were playing.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's a fan complaining.
About having to check every 7th day (at worst) for games you are renting? How often does both your broadband and phone go out for more than 7 days?

If this included games you own I'd be right beside you. This isn't even PS+ monthly games that remain active until your sub period ends, these are subscription only checks and over 7 days you surely get some internet if you are subscribed to an online service to download/stream the games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
People who say it's a non-issue clearly don't take vacations and being far away from home for a week or two seems like some alien concept to them.

Sony just pulled a 2013 Microsoft and peeople are not only OK with it but even go as far as defending it, but looking at their usernames I'm not even surprised in a slightest bit.

You are still allowed to actually buy games you know. Those don't have any such restrictions. THAT'S what MS wanted to have always online DRM for back then, not even slightly the same.

This is a rental service, and with that comes obvious limitations on how you can use that content. You don't own it, just like you don't own anything you can stream from Netflix.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Xbox was once every 24h
And it was with games you owned physical and digital. That is the difference here, the 7 day requirement is for subscription games only and not ps+ monthly games, digital or physical games owned.

If I downloaded the new season of Stranger Things today on my iPad, anyone know how long I can watch Stranger Things if I took my iPad offline? That's a fair like for like comparison of subscription services.

Last edited:

Helghan

And it was with games you owned physical and digital. That is the difference here, the 7 day requirement is for subscription games only and not ps+ monthly games, digital or physical games owned.

If I downloaded the new season of Stranger Things today on my iPad, anyone know how long I can watch Stranger Things if I took my iPad offline? That's a fair like for like comparison of subscription services.
I don't know how this was for Netflix, but for me this is a none issue. I didn't mind this in 2013, and definitely not now.

Top Bottom