• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Requires You To Login Weekly To Access PS Plus Extra Games (Downloaded games) (Gamebyte) (Sony Blogpost)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That’s what I mean. You can’t get upset over DRM in rented games but purchases I can agree with. Two separate issues that don’t belong in the same boat of opinions.
On what planet do you not expect DRM on digital purchases?

As I mentioned both consoles have a really cool method of allowing you to play offline while also allowing you to install games on multiple systems.

But if they allowed that unlimited then you could just go to a friends house and install a game and they could go offline and play it and beat it.

So instead they came up with the "home" console (Xbox) and "primary" console (Playstation) system. The same thing that allows game sharing (where you actually let a friend set their console as your home console, and visa-versa). Basically you can have a game installed on 10 machines if you want, but only 1 can be played offline, and only 1 system can have games installed where other profiles can play.

And 2 of these machines can even play at the same time... which allows game sharing even for 2 people playing the same game.

But only 1 can go offline indefinitely.. the other machine does a license check every time you launch software... on Xbox, or Playstation.

Last edited:
I am a fan of them. What I do is get a kilo of extra thick bacon and cook it about 80 % done in a cast iron and then remove it. I keep all the bacon grease and drop the Brussel sprouts into it with a sprinkle of Montreal steak spice and a pinch more salt. Once they start to brown I add the bacon back in to my level of desire cooking.

Pretty yummy side dish for steak
Sounds fucking delicious. Will try this weekend for sure!

Fredrik

Sure you do have access to the internet, but really, will you go like "sorry guys, wait for me a sec because I have to login to PS+/XBL on my phone or else I'll lose the games I've been paying for in the past 2/3/4 years"? The fuck... If you're truly like this then you really have no life and gaming for you is to fill all the free time you have, so like I said, whoever defends it most likely doesn't leave home for more than just a few days tops.
That’s not how it is, you just lose access to the games until you log in, after that you have another week until you need to log in again, etc.

So if you actually bring the console to the summer cabin in the woods without internet, connect the console to your mobile phone and use internet sharing to connect to the servers, then play for another week.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'd rather they have kept the 14 days that PS Now had or go to 30 days like Game Pass

but the level of concern trolling in this thread is ridiculous, especially the people comparing this to the original Xbox One DRM which was 24 hours for games you BOUGHT, this is a sub service which is not the same thing

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't think this is an issue, just use your mobile phone as a hotspot, login for a bit and then go back to offline mode.

What I don't see is the reason behind it. Can't they store the expiry date of your subscription on your local system so it doesn't need to check with a server? Security reasons maybe?

Sure you do have access to the internet, but really, will you go like "sorry guys, wait for me a sec because I have to login to PS+/XBL on my phone or else I'll lose the games I've been paying for in the past 2/3/4 years"? The fuck... If you're truly like this then you really have no life and gaming for you is to fill all the free time you have, so like I said, whoever defends it most likely doesn't leave home for more than just a few days tops.
Are you really this confused? That's not AT ALL what happens.

Did you honestly think if you didn't play your PS5 for a week, Sony sneaks in and deletes your games or save files?

I guess, if I believed this, I'd be pissed too. But, I'm having trouble believing you really thought this.

But, I'll give you credit. That full meltdown you had over a made up scenario in your head was one of the funniest things I've read on GAF in a while.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I don't think this is an issue, just use your mobile phone as a hotspot, login for a bit and then go back to offline mode.

What I don't see is the reason behind it. Can't they store the expiry date of your subscription on your local system so it doesn't need to check with a server? Security reasons maybe?
My guess is it has something to do with the PC client that is apparently in works

Leyasu

Banned
That was already known and it’s understandable since the games are not yours, they’re rented. Can you play gamepass games offline indefinitely? And Nintendo Online games?
Now open the gates for the fake outrage and CONCERNED CITIZENS.
I totally agree with you on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

sainraja

What if I go offline three weeks into my monthly sub or on the last day of my sub? Would it let me have up to a month "free" or would it know and boot me off at the correct date? I've never used PSNow and likely never will.
I am not sure how Sony has currently set up licenses that are tied to an active subscription but the license should be active/inactive based on monthly payments I am making so if I have paid for a given month, the license should be valid for that entire month and if I happen to go offline, I should maintain access for that month and if I am still offline after that given month, the license should expire and require me to re-authenticate by logging in.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I totally agree with you on this.
Yeah but what if you go camping ?????
Fear Panic GIF by Diego Farao

Last edited by a moderator:

Swift_Star

Banned
Maybe I am misunderstanding but wouldn't it be an issue if I am away for a week? Maybe I'm not getting it but I am reading it as you have to login to PSN at least once a week.
If you're more than one week offline, you just have to log-in once again for the system make your check in.
This is not complicated at all.
Your sub won't be cancelled if you stay more than one week offline.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Kind of conflicted why people are subscribed to digital services but they go mad if they need to log in like once a week.
I am too, I mean, it's shit having to be always online if playing owned (even if digitally) single player games, but if you're paying for subscription, it's obvious they need to check the player's subscription status, it's just dumb to complain in these cases... Some may argue that they can just leave the a time limit at OS level, but then we'll have an easy hackers exploit probably if they get a way to bypass the clock and already downloaded everything they needed for months. I can only understand company's motivations here.

Unless i’m missing something, this doesn’t affect games I own?
Noppe, but when i turn on my PS5 i'am always directly online cous i set it so in the options menu. And I have never on week that i havent put my PS5 on and i bought it in august last year.
I dont see the problem here. But consolewarriors do apparently....

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Whats the problem?
You need to log in and use the internet to play .... games from psn.
Digital future.
That's why I buy games on disc

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Whats the problem?
Digital future.
Not games from psn, you can play those offline as long as you want (provided it is not an online only game), just the games from the subscription.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not games from psn, you can play those offline as long as you want (provided it is not an online only game), just the games from the subscription.
well still. Downloadable games. It's not gog.
I think even steam have some offline limit ?

Something tells me he should change his name to ReviewUSAss.

Every week seems kind of excessive, I mean the smallest window you can pay for a sub is monthly right? But a login to check on status is nothing to get worked up about, we've had to do it for years.

The issue becomes if access to those games is impossible due to lack of a rollback feature in case the servers are down, WHILE your subscription is still valid. A problem that hit Xbox less than a month ago when its servers choked out. As long as you can avoid that, hell have me log in every day for all I care. Not like I'm turning my router off anytime unless there's a connectivity issue.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What about folks on submarines?
From the people I know personally who have military jobs that put them out of internet range for long periods at a time - they're 100% physical for exactly that reason. Download updates for games when you reach port. You sometimes never know how long you'll be "out there".

Whats the problem?
Digital future.
This isn't about digital games. It's about the games you have to be currently subscribed to PS+/Extra to play.

See…logging in once a week to play games you downloaded from a services doesn’t seem like a big deal at all. I mean if your internet is out a whole week that’s wild but use your hotspot for 5 seconds.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I think gamepass does this monthly basis on PC.
I never tried to measure it but it was a lot more frequent than monthly on my PC. In fact some games would make it painful to launch offline at all, and sometimes I'd be told my entire library was inaccessible for unexplained reasons.
Ironically EA-Play which I got through GP has behaved much better and only pinged me very infrequently to validate credentials.

Josemayuste

Welcome to 2013, but all of a sudden this is fine.

It's not even remotely similar to what happened in 2013.

What happened in 2013 is that Microsoft wanted to shoehorn an online check (every 24 hr. if I recall correctly) even for physical games, and many more "consumer friendly" stuff

"The power of the cloud" it was, we saw how the cloud powered so many Xbox One games, yeah..

This is a subscription service with a drm system for games downloaded through the service, it hasn't anything to do with physically or digitally bought games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This isn't about digital games. It's about the games you have to be currently subscribed to PS+/Extra to play.
then fine?
What is the realistic situation you can download subscribed game and then not have internet after a week to play it ?!

This is absolutely fair to people who play digital games. It's the future they choose

then fine?
What is the realistic situation you can download subscribed game and then not have internet after a week to play it ?!

This is absolutely fair to people who play digital games. It's the future they choose
You seem to be claiming digital purchases require a DRM check on PS5. They don't.

You can't just claim otherwise because you want to make your argument of "digital games are bad".

Last edited:

yurinka

I think it's normal to verify every certain amount of time that you are subscribed to avoid people disconnecting their console and keep the games forever without paying the sub. I also think this isn't an issue for when being on vacations since you can use your phone's wifi to make a quick connection and verification.

Regarding the amount of days of the verification I think once per week isn't an issue, but being a monthly based subscription I think it would make more sense a monthly activation, maybe they day after you subscribed. If you subscribed let's say the 14th, then you have to verify the 14th of each month.

Last edited:

Killer8

I think it's normal to verify every certain amount of time that you are subscribed to avoid people disconnecting their console and keep the games forever without paying the sub. I also think this isn't an issue for when being on vacations since you can use your phone.

Regarding the amount of days of the verification I think once per week isn't an issue, but being a monthly based subscription I think it would make more sense a monthly activation, maybe they day after you subscribed. If you subscribed let's say the 14th, then you have to verify the 14th of each month.

This is basically it. One week is enough time to sort out any connection issues for most people. You just need to sign-in to do the handshake and then you can continue playing as normal. It's also not so much time that people could just disconnect and play the games indefinitely, which would harm Sony's bottom line.

It might sound like defending Sony here, which normally I would not do in terms of the big corporation versus the little guy. But the very nature of the Plus service (and Game Pass too) is that you do not own the games - you just have a temporary license to use them, like a gloried rental service. From the very start this has been the biggest objection many people have had to subscribing to these services, so people now acting surprised about this is puzzling to say the least.

Top Bottom