• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony recommends 32GB of RAM for PC version of Returnal. Returnal PC will not have crossplay with the PS5.

Remind which one of these platforms renders this game at 1080p?

Angry Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

hlm666

May be because the world is procedurally generated
Wouldn't this mean streaming is not the issue? or are you telling me at the start of the game or level the world is generated then they are writing that data back to the ssd (probably without compression because ive never seen it mentioned the io complex can encrypt aswell) to then stream it back again when you get to a room or whatever. If you're using a seed and generating the rooms/areas based on that it's going to shift the work back to the cpu once again meaning streaming is probably not the issue again.

Last edited:

Stooky

Wouldn't this mean streaming is not the issue? or are you telling me at the start of the game or level the world is generated then they are writing that data back to the ssd (probably without compression because ive never seen it mentioned the io complex can encrypt aswell) to then stream it back again when you get to a room or whatever. If you're using a seed and generating the rooms/areas based on that it's going to shift the work back to the cpu once again meaning streaming is probably not the issue again.

Maybe too many ssd configurations that would affect performance… if the pc game matches ps5 performances. It’s cheaper on the consumer to increase the ram requirement then to ask everyone to have latest/fastest m.2 drive. Once the level has loaded into memory, you wouldn’t needto the latest/greatest ssd to run it. I’m guessing they load the entire generated level/enemy positions/types etc into ram. Then they gate you and dump that level when you proceed to the next level. They play a cinematic while the game loads. When it’s over. The next level has been generated. Just my guess

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wouldn't you need a case, controller, fans, cables etc. in addition (all included in the console price)?
M/KB is such a none issue for cost I dont even count them.
Im surprised they dont give them away for free in McDonalds happy meals.

I dont know what cables you think a PC needs that parts dont come with but out of the idk 50+ PCs ive built ive never thought to myself god damn it I forgot to buy the damn xyz cables.

Your motherboard comes with chassis if you are keeping costs low:
txDTEWC.jpg

But if you really need a case you can get one for like 30 bucks probably less if you just need A case and itll come with the fans.
Some even come with the power supply, some come with a full bevey of fans and fan controllers....but thats really up to the user and i usually put that in the customization category, cuz if you are going bog bog standard id say the case is pocket change at worst.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
To be honest 32gb should have been the standard for every new gaming PC already for half a decade by now. 16gb is absolute minimum

If you’re just gaming there’s no benefit to having 32GB over 16GB. You’d get a bigger benefit adding faster storage to your rig.

Maybe now we’ll see something, but no way is Returnal going to come close to using that 32GB.

Chukhopops

Returnal uses a set of predefined rooms which are then assembled in a random way to make the level.

I don’t see what the game would need to stream between rooms when they use the same assets, enemies etc.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
M/KB is such a none issue for cost I dont even count them.
Im surprised they dont give them away for free in McDonalds happy meals.

I dont know what cables you think a PC needs that parts dont come with but out of the idk 50+ PCs ive built ive never thought to myself god damn it I forgot to buy the damn xyz cables.

Your motherboard comes with chassis if you are keeping costs low:
txDTEWC.jpg

But if you really need a case you can get one for like 30 bucks probably less if you just need A case and itll come with the fans.
Some even come with the power supply, some come with a full bevey of fans and fan controllers....but thats really up to the user and i usually put that in the customization category, cuz if you are going bog bog standard id say the case is pocket change at worst.
I’m just pointing out a PS5 comes with a power and HDMI cable, including box and a controller. It is a cost. Don’t know why that seems to be such a heated argument.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I’m just pointing out a PS5 comes with a power and HDMI cable, including box and a controller. It is a cost. Don’t know why that seems to be such a heated argument.
I'm just point out that PC parts come with accessories included. It is a cost. Don't know why that seems to be such a heated statement.

Kenpachii

If you’re just gaming there’s no benefit to having 32GB over 16GB. You’d get a bigger benefit adding faster storage to your rig.

Maybe now we’ll see something, but no way is Returnal going to come close to using that 32GB.

It only has to use 16,1 gb and they will put the 32gb requirement on it. It doesn't have to get close to 32gb.

Neilg

But im assuming the devs are assuming you also have a bunch of Chrome Tabs open to look at walkthroughs for the game?

I do think you're right that they assume normal pc background overhead. If you restart your machine before launching the game and keep minimal background processes going (chrome totally shut down, no spotify, slack, etc), you could get by with less.
Demanding people do all that before they can launch the game will be met with worse PR than just doubling the recommended to make sure you dont end up with tech complaints.

Last edited:
not that i'll be playing this game but i remember people telling me i wouldn't need any more than 16GB RAM. 32GB was "overkill" and a "waste of money".

glad i went with 32GB. i've already had some games use 17-24GB.

Fortnite on UE5.1 at 1440p can use 14GB. Fortnite. That's without RTX or any of the new settings at their highest.

32GB should be in any serious gaming PC these days. i think 64GB is overkill right now but if i was building a new PC today i'd sure as shit be putting 64GB in it. You can still get away with 16GB for now but i'd only recommend that if you're on a tight budget.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ram in a computer is underrated, there’s not a single computer that should have less than 2GB of RAM.

raduque

It's a big cost to build a pc from scratch so I cheaped out where it made sense and just plan to upgrade ram and cpu early next year.

I have no interest in this game anyway if I did I would of got it on ps5 ages ago. It will be interesting to see what performance hit there is from using 16gb compared to 32gb on the higher settings.
Well, i bought a prebuilt back in 2017 and have been upgrading it peicemeal. Ryzen 1400 to 3600, 128gb SSD to 1tb NVME drive, 450w to 650w PSU, RX580 to RTX 2080, 8gb single channel 2133 to 16gb dual channel 3200.

Ram in a computer is underrated, there’s not a single computer that should have less than 2GB of RAM.

Pretty sure that's impossible. I don't think there's a still usable OS you can use now that can run on a computer with less than 4GB of ram minimum and that' wouldn't be a good time.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The PS5 benefits heavily from a unified RAM pool and it’s been a key advantage it’s had over PC’s.
Unified RAM is actually worse than two separate pools due to bandwidth. GDDR is better for throughput and ddr for latency. Consoles share memory because they are both on the same die and it is cheaper.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Well we’ve been using 16gb for like past 10 years or more.
I still don’t get it how the ram is divided and why we need ram… seems like vram is the only memory used for games these days

dwish

That amount is probably recommended in order to minimize load times. Either that, or very high quality sound. Its not like Returnal has a massive amount of extremely detailed assets within a zone.

dwish

Well we’ve been using 16gb for like past 10 years or more.
I still don’t get it how the ram is divided and why we need ram… seems like vram is the only memory used for games these days
Usually you load assets into system RAM first and then upload into VRAM

Ozriel

M$FT
Not surprising, to be honest.

Games built exclusively for PS5, especially ones with faster traversal and movement, will require additional RAM to make up for the more advanced storage and I/O solution found in the PS5.

One data point isn’t really enough to come to this conclusion. We’ll have better insight when the system requirements for Forspoken show up.

It also doesn’t ‘require’ it since the minimum requirements are 16GB RAM and it’ll run on a HDD. The ‘SSD recommended’ spec also doesn’t discriminate between NVMe and slower SATA SSDs.

Last edited:
Unified RAM is actually worse than two separate pools due to bandwidth. GDDR is better for throughput and ddr for latency. Consoles share memory because they are both on the same die and it is cheaper.
No for gaming unified RAM is way better. The lower latency DDR is nothing compared to the need of constantly moving stuff between both pools of memory which is incredibly more expensive. Besides even unified memory DDR for both CPU + GPU is not worth it as shown in PS4 vs XB1 comparisons. The bandwith you lose isn't worth it.

GDDR + unified memory is so good for gaming that eventually Microsoft copied PS4 architecture for all their consoles after XB1, starting with X1X.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No for gaming unified RAM is way better. The lower latency DDR is nothing compared to the need of constantly moving stuff between both pools of memory which is incredibly more expensive. Besides even unified memory DDR for both CPU + GPU is not worth it as shown in PS4 vs XB1 comparisons. The bandwith you lose isn't worth it.

GDDR + unified memory is so good for gaming that eventually Microsoft copied PS4 architecture for all their consoles after XB1, starting with X1X.
Except not really. We've seen clearly, that this is not the case and you can easily separate the visual representation and the data which needs to be processed by CPU. That way you aren't really copy anything. Problem with PS3 was that basically you can't really do much graphics with just a GPU, because it was weak as fuck, that's where this "unified memory better" started. The problem with shared memory isn't the bandwidth the the IOPS, basically you have to schedule instructions and data and if you have one pool, you are going to hit bottle neck. That's why generally the AFx16 is omitted from the console games, even though it has been standard on PC for more than 15 years.

DinoD

Ya, the growth was crazy in those days. I bought my first PC with 8MB in 1996 and was using 96MB by 1999.

I also had a ZX Spectrum as a child. 48KB representin.

My dad mistakenly bought me ZX Spectrum 16kb :D. Which had to be upgraded to 48kb, after I had realized i couldn't play Jet Set Williy and Manic Miner.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"remember, optimize the hardware so pc users can play it."
"what is the" optimization"word you speak of? "
" fuck it Bruce force it"

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
One data point isn’t really enough to come to this conclusion. We’ll have better insight when the system requirements for Forspoken show up.

It also doesn’t ‘require’ it since the minimum requirements are 16GB RAM and it’ll run on a HDD. The ‘SSD recommended’ spec also doesn’t discriminate between NVMe and slower SATA SSDs.
Forspoken isn't a true first-party exclusive made for PS5 from the ground up and later being ported to PC. Returnal is a more apt reference point. R&C and Demon's Souls would be other good examples to monitor.

Ozriel

M$FT
Forspoken isn't a true first-party exclusive made for PS5 from the ground up and later being ported to PC. Returnal is a more apt reference point. R&C and Demon's Souls would be other good examples to monitor.

Forspoken was literally announced with “built from the ground up for PS5”

It also has the ‘fast traversal’ you were happy to tout earlier.

Ratchet and Clank, yes, but I don’t see any reason why Demon’s Souls wouldn’t work just fine on a HDD.

Top Bottom