• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony recommends 32GB of RAM for PC version of Returnal. Returnal PC will not have crossplay with the PS5.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
PC gamers with their US$2500 PC versus PS5 (US$500) claiming that this is ok to run fine
2500 dollar PC?

12400F - 150
B660M - 150
16GB RAM - 50
PSU - >100
2070S - 200
SSD - 70

Total = ~$700

And before you tell me the above machine is well too underpowered for current games:

For an extra 100 or so dollars you can even get an RTX3070 and basically glide through the generation.

I wish it was required through steam/epic/etc to have these companies specify what "minimum" and "recommended" means. Like what is recommended? 1080p 60fps? 4k 60? 4k 30? And what is minimum? 1080p 30fps?
I always thought minimum was 1080/60 at high settings and recommended was 4k60 at high settings, but that's probably completely wrong.

ZehDon

On PS5 each hubs are streamed in as you play without any hitches, that's possible because of PS5 custom I/O.

On PC to avoid this the best way to do that on any build is indeed to load the whole level before starting so there won't need to stream in new assets as much.
My Samsung PCIe Gen4 NVMe is faster than the PS5's custom IO. It sure would be nice if they'd use it. I mean, I also have 64gb of RAM so it's not an issue, but still - the faster the NVMe, the less RAM they should require.

Artoris

Gold Member
Mine was 8MB. My parents then gave me a 16MB upgrade for christmas and I've never since underestimated that.
I upgraded mine to 64 MB in order to play age of Empires 2, and then I got a very large phone bill for playing it online

My Samsung PCIe Gen4 NVMe is faster than the PS5's custom IO. It sure would be nice if they'd use it. I mean, I also have 64gb of RAM so it's not an issue, but still - the faster the NVMe, the less RAM they should require.
I think it’s more than just SSD I/O and bandwidth.

The PS5 benefits heavily from a unified RAM pool and it’s been a key advantage it’s had over PC’s.

Actually I think some of the developers who ported Playstation titles over to PC mentioned in interviews how they’d struggle to rework the games engine, more specifically the asset streaming pipeline to be compatible with the PC architecture.

Tommi84

Like what is recommended? 1080p 60fps? 4k 60? 4k 30? And what is minimum? 1080p 30fps?
Sure. Not a problem. As soon as there're max 5 different PC configurations, this can be achieved. If there're literslly thousands of those, this ain't going to happen

That's like what .. 5 Chrome tabs ?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Let's see if it suffers the UE4 stutters at launch.

Stutter is one of the things keeping me on consoles. Of all the visual issues, screen tearing and stuttering are the worst and most glaring.

ZehDon

I think it’s more than just SSD I/O and bandwidth.

The PS5 benefits heavily from a unified RAM pool and it’s been a key advantage it’s had over PC’s.

Actually I think some of the developers who ported Playstation titles over to PC mentioned in interviews how they’d struggle to rework the games engine, more specifically the asset streaming pipeline to be compatible with the PC architecture.
Direct Storage allows the same kind of streaming circa the GPU that the PlayStation's custom IO arrangement allows; it's one of the key features actually, and it works with PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4 NVMe drives. It's just a lot simpler to crank up the system requirements than to implement that kind of feature set, which is why I made my comment: Returnal isn't really doing anything that top of of the line PCs can't handle, it's just not using the full feature set of the platform. It doesn't bode well for future PlayStation ports.

Last edited:
Has any game that recommended 32GB of RAM ever even used more than 16GB?

For instance of head:
Flight Simulator New York - ~14GB
Cyberpunk 2077 - ~11GB
Red Dead Redeption - ~11GB
Dying Light 2 - ~12GB
WarZone 2 - ~12GB

So if I was to hazard a guess even Returnal will be in the 10GB range.
But im assuming the devs are assuming you also have a bunch of Chrome Tabs open to look at walkthroughs for the game?

Anno 1800 recommends 8gb of RAM, but usage goes over 30gb.

That goes for a lot of games, they run better and use more RAM if it's available. Windows also runs smoother, mine uses around 10gb with just things like Firefox, Notion and Discord running. Which is great, because it keeps the page file low

Last edited:
Direct Storage allows the same kind of streaming circa the GPU that the PlayStation's custom IO arrangement allows; it's one of the key features actually, and it works with PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4 NVMe drives. It's just a lot simpler to crank up the system requirements than to implement that kind of feature set, which is why I made my comment: Returnal isn't really doing anything that top of of the line PCs can't handle, it's just not using the full feature set of the platform. It doesn't bode well for future PlayStation ports.
Yes I’m familiar with it. However DirectStorage GPU based decompression was released only a few weeks ago, and it’ll take developers a few months at the least to get to grips with it. It should help resolve a lot of the streaming issues the PS ports have been having, assuming it’s optimised and implemented properly.

Antwix

Sure. Not a problem. As soon as there're max 5 different PC configurations, this can be achieved. If there're literslly thousands of those, this ain't going to happen
Basically a copout answer. They have specific parts listed for recommended. Like I said in my previous post, all I'm asking is for them to say "Yeah these parts will get you 4k/60, 1080p/60, whatever, etc. Performance may vary." Different models of the same GPUs aren't that different. As long as your not bottlenecked, RAM isn't gonna make that huge of a difference. And of course, they have very specific CPUs listed. I'm not sure why a general baseline for performance with those specific parts wouldn't be useful?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
On PS5 each hubs are streamed in as you play without any hitches, that's possible because of PS5 custom I/O.

On PC to avoid this the best way to do that on any build is indeed to load the whole level before starting so there won't need to stream in new assets as much.

I wonder if DirectStorage, whenever it finally starts being supported by games, will have any considerable effect in this regard.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ram is super cheap. I’d be surprised if most people didn’t already have 32GB in their system since that’s often how it’s sold these days.
Seriously doubt Returnal will be using that much Ram though.

Pretty low system requirements. Looks about on par with a PS5.

Buggy Loop

2500 dollar PC?

12400F - 150
B660M - 150
16GB RAM - 50
PSU - >100
2070S - 200
SSD - 70

Total = ~$700

And before you tell me the above machine is well too underpowered for current games:

For an extra 100 or so dollars you can even get an RTX3070 and basically glide through the generation.

buT MY UlTrA xtRemE "caN iT RuN" sEttINgs taNk mY PeRfrMancEs

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Peoples don't really get it in general. They're picking a console but don't look at console equivalent settings on PC. There's so many useless settings on PC that eat away at performances for visually almost no differences. Hell, RDNA 2 has been getting DEEP discounts now. You can build a really kickass PC for not much money now. No online subscription fees too, cheaper steam prices via key stores.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I wonder if DirectStorage, whenever it finally starts being supported by games, will have any considerable effect in this regard.
We already have demos and benchmarks available since DS released. I see little reason to think it won't have the same effect.

My 2080 Ti manages ~40GB/s on the Silesia test suite and ~13GB/s on a larger 10GB .tar file, for example. There's a lot of untapped potential there.

Puscifer

Gold Member
PC gamers with their US$2500 PC versus PS5 (US$500) claiming that this is ok to run fine
I mean based off the leaked screenshots it also has deeper graphical features and more ray tracing. So I'd be curious to see what happens, anywho I have 32GB so I'm good

Banned
it's gonna be another shitty PC port isn't it? in a world where the most demanding titles only ever recommend 16GB, along comes this game and doubles that for no good reason.

let's hope this is just a really dumb misjudgment on their part

sendit

I'm sure both system ram/gpu ram requirements will be reduced once DirectStorage/RTX IO matures and developers start utilizing it.

Graciaus

I've got 32 and I don't want to play with anyone in general. I can see how this would be a problem for a lot of people though.

The real question is if this is another overrated boring game from Sony.

Esppiral

I've got 32 and I don't want to play with anyone in general. I can see how this would be a problem for a lot of people though.

Nope, it is an overrated boring game from housemarque

coastel

I only have 16gb, so I guess I've been doing it wrong too. Sorry I'm not made of money, Gaf.
It's a big cost to build a pc from scratch so I cheaped out where it made sense and just plan to upgrade ram and cpu early next year.

I have no interest in this game anyway if I did I would of got it on ps5 ages ago. It will be interesting to see what performance hit there is from using 16gb compared to 32gb on the higher settings.

Last edited:

Nope, it is an overrated boring game from housemarque

Returnal boring? Are we sure we’re talking about the same game? The game is incredibly challenging and addicting. Boring is the last word I would use to describe this game. It had me on my toes, amped up with adrenaline almost the entire game. It’s a twitchy, third person shooter where fast reflexes are a must.

Have you even played the game? And if you did, did you give it a chance beyond dying the first few dozen times and throwing your controller down in frustration. Be honest.

lukilladog

It gotta be a mistake, they would be lucky if it eats 10gb.

Ps.- It's that game of the empty caverns... should run fine on 8gb lol.

Graciaus

Returnal boring? Are we sure we’re talking about the same game? The game is incredibly challenging and addicting. Boring is the last word I would use to describe this game. It had me on my toes, amped up with adrenaline almost the entire game. It’s a twitchy, third person shooter where fast reflexes are a must.

Have you even played the game? And if you did, did you give it a chance beyond dying the first few dozen times and throwing your controller down in frustration. Be honest.
No? But I have played almost everything else that was ported to PC. They were all boring. Hence my post.

MINIMUM:

Additional Notes:
SSD Recommended
I guess this is why they recommend more RAM. If you can't expect having all users to have the optimum hard drive- normal, any, HDD possible- you just load more stuff into more RAM. Imho would have made more sense on consoles too, more RAM instead of high end SSDs. Pretending that you will use the SSD almost like a RAM extension always sounded dumb too me, and now with many PC ports, and we see a result here, it seems even dumber.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
2500 dollar PC?

12400F - 150
B660M - 150
16GB RAM - 50
PSU - >100
2070S - 200
SSD - 70

Total = ~$700

the hardware price is definitely not that cheap, at least not in my country.
its easier to provide the price on the forum than finding an actual one out there with the same price.

And i dont see the purpose of building a PC equivalent to a console performance, since optimization mostly likely would be better on console.
Ports most likely would runs "worse" on PC with the spec above.
PC need to be way more powerful than the current gen console to run games better.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
2500 dollar PC?

12400F - 150
B660M - 150
16GB RAM - 50
PSU - >100
2070S - 200
SSD - 70

Total = ~$700

And that's with a PC that is roughly on par with a console. We must also consider that 7 years separate the PS4 and PS5 and that within those years, PC parts kept releasing. You can also build a fairly decent 1080p/60 machine that will play all the modern games for about $600. Or you can go a bit above console spec and get a 1440p/60 machine. A $2500 rig is pretty damn powerful and you're getting into 4K/60 territory or 1440/120 with such a setup and you can even throw in RT a lot of the time.

This pervasive myth (or rather wilfully ignorant one) that every rig needs to be a $3000+ monster to be viable is incredibly annoying. I know some people who built their machines in 2016 with 1070s that are still chugging along to this day.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm more interested is it going to play well with 16GB. I assume it'll probably have loading times when switching between biomes? Tbh for me it wouldn't be an issue, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was the only game so far that's really used PS5's SSD to allow for instant switching between areas.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
the hardware price is definitely not that cheap, at least not in my country.
its easier to provide the price on the forum than finding an actual one out there with the same price.

And i dont see the purpose of building a PC equivalent to a console performance, since optimization mostly likely would be better on console.
Ports most likely would runs "worse" on PC with the spec above.
PC need to be way more powerful than the current gen console to run games better.

cdc.jpg

In most games that PC will absolutely walk consoles.
A 12400F is leagues leagues better than Ryzen 3000s CPUs.
A 2070S or 3070 for a 100 or so extra dollars wont be "on par" with a PS5.
There will be outlier games such as Spiderman but generally speaking what that 7-800 dollar PC can do, consoles simply cant match.
If you watched the DF video i posted, that PC is running better than console more often than not.

And how the fuck am i supposed to know how much PC parts cost in your country.
I dont know how much a PS5 costs in your country, but that doesnt change the fact generally speaking PS5s are listed as $500 on here......we dont count tax, we dont count the euro price, we dont count the price in Venezuela, we simply use the "internet agreed" price of $500.
The prices I listed is the general price of those parts.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
cdc.jpg

In most games that PC will absolutely walk consoles.
A 12400F is leagues leagues better than Ryzen 3000s CPUs.
A 2070S or 3070 for a 100 or so extra dollars wont be "on par" with a PS5.
There will be outlier games such as Spiderman but generally speaking what that 7-800 dollar PC can do, consoles simply cant match.
If you watched the DF video i posted, that PC is running better than console more often than not.

And how the fuck am i supposed to know how much PC parts cost in your country.
I dont know how much a PS5 costs in your country, but that doesnt change the fact generally speaking PS5s are listed as $500 on here......we dont count tax, we dont count the euro price, we dont count the price in Venezuela, we simply use the "internet agreed" price of $500.
The prices I listed is the general price of those parts.
The price is $399 by the way. PCs don't have physical games either, so it's best to compare with the digital version anyway.

And a $700 gaming PC sounds like a dream in today's market. RTX 3070, which isn't that far away from PS5's power as PS5 matches 3070 in games like Death Stranding, is alone $569.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I'm more interested is it going to play well with 16GB. I assume it'll probably have loading times when switching between biomes? Tbh for me it wouldn't be an issue, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was the only game so far that's really used PS5's SSD to allow for instant switching between areas.
I don’t see which assets would need to be streamed inside a biome since each room inside a biome has the same 4-5 enemies and rooms look identical (except the layout).

As long as you don’t run the game on an HDD you should be more than fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom