• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony recommends 32GB of RAM for PC version of Returnal. Returnal PC will not have crossplay with the PS5.

https://wccftech.com/returnal-pc-requirements-detailed-no-crossplay-with-ps5/

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS​

MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6400 (4 core 2.7GHz) AMD Ryzen 5 1500X (4 core 3.5GHz)
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) AMD Radeon RX 580 (8 GB)
    • Storage: 60 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: SSD Recommended
RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel i7-8700 (6 core 3.7 GHz) AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8 core 3.7 GHz)
    • Memory: 32 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER (8 GB) AMD RX 6700 XT (12 GB)
    • Storage: 60 GB available space
The Returnal PC port is being co-developed by Housemarque and Climax Studios. The long-standing British studio is mainly known for Sudeki, Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Assassin's Creed Chronicles, but they've also helped port many games to other platforms, including Castlevania: Lords of the Shadow and previous Housemarque games like Dead Nation and Resogun. There's good reason to be hopeful regarding the quality of the Returnal PC port, chiefly the excellence of recent ports published by Sony (Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales, for instance). We also already know that both NVIDIA DLSS and AMD FSR will be supported.
The Returnal PC port also comes with all of the previously released updates, such as the Tower of Sisyphus endless mode, the Challenge mode, and the Co-Op mode. However, the co-op will be limited to PC players, as the Steam page clearly states that cross-play with the PlayStation 5 version is not supported.
When the game was released on PS5, Kai Powell rated it 9.3/10.

This news was buried but thought this would be useful for people to know who may want to buy Returnal on PC, that the recommended RAM is 32GB since many PC's don't have that.

Also in other news, Returnal will not have crossplay with the PS5.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's like what .. 5 Chrome tabs ?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Let's see if it suffers the UE4 stutters at launch.

Last edited:
I wish it was required through steam/epic/etc to have these companies specify what "minimum" and "recommended" means. Like what is recommended? 1080p 60fps? 4k 60? 4k 30? And what is minimum? 1080p 30fps?

The reason they don't list that is everyone uses different hardware configurations. For instance, someone may use the exact same setup for 4k 60fps, but may get 50 fps because their GPU is underclocked (ZOTAC mini) or they're having issues with their RAM. There's no good incentives and only bad ones for listing what FPS and resolution they can get.

Last edited:

Spyxos

I hope we start seeing games actually pushing ram usage. I've had 64gb's in my last 3 builds, would love to see it used for more than just my production/video needs.
Why? We don't get any benefits from it, as far as i can tell. It would be just another higher pc cost that we have to have.

Antwix

The reason they don't list that is everyone uses different hardware configurations. For instance, someone may use the exact same setup for 4k 60fps, but may get 50 fps because their GPU is underclocked (ZOTAC mini) or they're having issues with their RAM. There's no good incentives and only bad ones for listing what FPS and resolution they can get.
No good incentives for listing it? It'll literally tell you what a specific dev recommends for a given resolution/fps. I get that people use different GPU clock speeds, overclocking/undervolting, ram configs, but simply using the "additional notes" line to state something like "Recommended: 1080p/60. Performance may vary based on hardware config" is useful. It would give you a rough baseline to what hardware can give you what performance instead of just a wild guess.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The brute force method.

On PS5 each hubs are streamed in as you play without any hitches, that's possible because of PS5 custom I/O.

On PC to avoid this the best way to do that on any build is indeed to load the whole level before starting so there won't need to stream in new assets as much.
Agree, especially if SSD isnt recommended for the Recommended specs. It is for the Minimum specs.

Seems that was also left out. So it would be interesting to see if an SSD is recommended for the higher requirements.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Has any game that recommended 32GB of RAM ever even used more than 16GB?

For instance of head:
Flight Simulator New York - ~14GB
Cyberpunk 2077 - ~11GB
Red Dead Redeption - ~11GB
Dying Light 2 - ~12GB
WarZone 2 - ~12GB

So if I was to hazard a guess even Returnal will be in the 10GB range.
But im assuming the devs are assuming you also have a bunch of Chrome Tabs open to look at walkthroughs for the game?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Climax Studios. The long-standing British studio is mainly known for Sudeki, Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Oh..

Denton

There is zero chance that the game will not run perfectly fine at stable 60fps on 16GB.

More concerning is Unreal Engine and its shader compilation issues, hopefully the developers precache them shaders.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Has any game that recommended 32GB of RAM ever even used more than 16GB?
Are you checking the commit size tab? Cause stranger of paradise and marvel midnight suns have definitely hit 16gb for me and neither recommend more than 16; some games will just use more if more is available, returnal is probably the same and hits optimal ram usage at 16+, might as recommended 32 then.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why? We don't get any benefits from it, as far as i can tell. It would be just another higher pc cost that we have to have.,
Do you think people said the same thing back when 4gb use to be the standard? With that attitude we'd never see advancements

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m glad to see games starting to take advantage of having more memory. Hopefully they take advantage of having lots of vram too.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sure we will need it some day, but what exactly is the advancement today?
to raise the mainstream baseline and allow Dev's to target a bigger memory pool. More memory = less reliance on streaming assets, larger areas of open worlds that can have active activities going on, more complex simulations. All those things will coincide with faster CPU and GPU's too, but the baseline needs to start moving up again. Its been 16gb for what feels like forever.

nkarafo

Optimize games? That's so 90's. Just bloat the shit out of everything.

I’m glad to see games starting to take advantage of having more memory. Hopefully they take advantage of having lots of vram too.
You think this game "takes advantage" of that amount of memory? What more do you think it will do VS the PS5 version?

And that's without the VRAM.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Are you checking the commit size tab? Cause stranger of paradise and marvel midnight suns have definitely hit 16gb for me and neither recommend more than 16; some games will just use more if more is available, returnal is probably the same and hits optimal ram usage at 16+, might as recommended 32 then.
I dont have either of those games.
But Im using Afterburner/Rivatuner.
Of the "heavy" games ive got none of them have jumped over 16GB of RAM usage.

If you use RTSS can you screenshot the games going over 16GB cuz that sounds like a memory leak to me if Flight Simulator isnt eating more than Stranger of Paradise just for future reference.

Hoddi

I don't see this as a big deal. Maybe it helps to keep game data cached but I kinda doubt it will make much difference.

'Recommended' requirements have always been mostly arbitrary. If the minimum is 16GB then 'recommended' just becomes the next step up. It's nothing new.

Buggy Loop

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

I have 32 so I’m not even worried, but this feels more like “this is the setup we tested on “ recommended than what you’ll experience with 16GB.

Older games like GTA5 for example, would have like 1 fps penalty from 16GB to 4GB..

Top Bottom