• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2: 13.3M+ PS5s; Sales shatter industry records for sixth straight quarter

Fake

Or they are close to a milestone like 10 or 15 million & just waiting to cross it before updating the numbers

I not so sure about this. We don't even get the multiplayer while GoT got a multiplayer and already get a DLC even knowing both launch date are too close.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Sony opted for profit at the expense of market penetration, and yet got both in the end. Granted, the PS would have sold 10, 20 million more units with a $100 less, but at what cost for the company? They made the right call, imo, especially coming off the PS3 financial calamity.
Disagree. The software, the plus, the developing nations penetration, and everything else would have led to more long term profits if they had simply gone for the price cut in 2019. Plus when PS5 gets cheaper and maybe those people have some more money they would be far more likely to stay in ecosystem. They wanted the short term profits on hardware and that's fine but a major missed opportunity to top off the generation strong

yurinka

Or they are close to a milestone like 10 or 15 million & just waiting to cross it before updating the numbers
They have the MP TLOU2 game coming, and ccording to Schreier they will release a TLOU1 remake that was at least initially tought to be bundled with TLOU2 PS5. I assume all these projects will be announced and/or released in the 2nd half of the next year (+ their PC version since TLOU2 wil be >2 years old).

I assume they'll want to release all these stuff before the release of the TLOU tv show to promote it, so when announcing them will be a good point to update the sales numbers, as they did with GoW.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
First 3 Days
Last of Us Part II - 4.1 million
Ghost of Tsushima - 2.4 million

November Player Count
Last of Us Part II - 7.2 million
Ghost of Tsushima - 5.8 million

In November, it was announced that Ghost of Tsushima sold over 5 million copies, which is in the range of the Play Count number.

In March, Ghost of Tsushima sold 6.5 million copies.

If Last of Us Part II was ahead by at least 1.7 million during the first 3 days, then that would probably mean that Last of Us Part II was at 8.2 million copies back in March.

I would think Last of Us Part II was more than 1.7 ahead of Ghost of Tsushima in March based on the overall performance of both titles.

Fake

I’m sure they are highly disappointed in the most awarded game in video game history
moving-goalpost.gif

sales thread, anw move on

Last edited:

YukiOnna

When they update sales, you guys are going to find more excuses.

It has been more than a year and you guys still can't seem to give it a rest.
I want to know how much it sold or didn't and that's it. That provides some idea for the titles performance and how things could move forward for ND post MP release. If they're waiting to update till the HBO TV Show then let's see, but for now it's a bit weird on the silence. I don't think there's anything wrong with analyzing the performance of a title over a year later in comparison to their other titles.

Disagree. The software, the plus, the developing nations penetration, and everything else would have led to more long term profits if they had simply gone for the price cut in 2019. Plus when PS5 gets cheaper and maybe those people have some more money they would be far more likely to stay in ecosystem. They wanted the short term profits on hardware and that's fine but a major missed opportunity to top off the generation strong

Allow me to disagree then. As the circle of buyers grows, the latest to join tend to spend much, much less on accessories, services and games. Sony must have crushed the numbers anyway, and came to the realization that keeping the price at the level it was at, was the sensible move to make. Especially that it is getting increasingly difficult to cut the different components costs...

Last edited:

EDMIX

They provided multiple updates

That might be on a game by game basis. Sony doesn't just automatically do that with all games after 1 year or something lol

Even God Of War moving 20 million units was something they told us during the PC reveal, for all you know they reason why you are not getting a update on The Last Of Us 2 sales is based on several factors, they want to do it with the MP release, it got pushed back, they want to announce it on the directors cut PS5 release...that might get pared with MP, that might get told when the announce The Last Of Us 1 remake, that might get announced when they announce The Last Of Us 2 PC.... sir, they might hold off on that until many updates or reveals or even the damn show lol

Its beyond 10 million units btw as I feel it was beyond that probably by the second or third month.

The first 3 days of physical sales is 4 million units.
First month on PSN is 3 million.

That is 7 million and it released before a full calendar month when they even made that statement regarding PSN, as in it moved 7 million units in less then 1 month

So Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 is correct, it not only outsold Ghost, it sold the most that year for Sony then any other title they put out, it broke several records and its literally number 3 highest grossing PS4 game for Sony... which is fucking massive if you consider they told us that literally MONTHS after its release, as in its can't be below Ghost, its above it by a lot to be number 3.

1. Spiderman.
2.God Of War
3. Last Of Us 2

Here is the kicker bud, 2 of those games had YEARS to get sale to get to that, TLOU2 did that in MONTHS, which means they are well past 10 million. If Sony didn't tell us God Of War moved 15 million and only told us at 20 for the PC release, it means that they also are more then likely just holding off on major updates to match PC reveals, Directors cut, Remake, MP reveal etc.

When Sony told us The Last Of Us 1 sold 20 million, it was Oct 2019

Want to know what happened the month before?

This...

Don't know why they just don't give current sales.

Same reason why they stayed slient for years before God Of War hit 20 million. They likely want to save that for a reveal.

Thats it.

The game simply shattered too many records to really be on this concern thing. They don't just keep telling us numbers every year for each game btw, they've never done that for software.

YukiOnna YukiOnna "a bit weird on the silence." No its not bud, Sony has NEVER told us yearly dates per game or something. That was never a standard thing to be out here pretending some serious thing is going on.

They also didn't tell us God Of War was at 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 million etc. Just stop. They were kept their "silence" until the PC reveal and told us, not 20 million, but 19 million and some change, as in it say that shit might have already sold 20 million by the time of us speaking, as in the PC reveal was what they were aiming for to tell us that number, as why not wait for 20 million, why tell us at like 19.5 mill? It tells me they are waiting to match it with a reveal, update etc.

You'll probably see them do that for many titles as they've already done that before, where a trailer is shown of a new game and they give you numbers on the past title or a remaster etc. So who knows. They could be waiting for the PC release, Directors cut reveal, MP reveal, Show first trailer, The Last Of Us 1 remake lol Who knows. We clearly know they can wait to do that as they did with God Of War, I don't know why you didn't just apply that same logic btw.

Last edited:

Fake

I want to know how much it sold or didn't and that's it. That provides some idea for the titles performance and how things could move forward for ND post MP release. If they're waiting to update till the HBO TV Show then let's see, but for now it's a bit weird on the silence. I don't think there's anything wrong with analyzing the performance of a title over a year later in comparison to their other titles.

More than a year, no? Besides, people have short memory because games like God of War and Spider-Man get a huge communication over Sony sales part (official or not), even for insiders like Matt and Benji Sales.

I remember being in resetera by the time GoW sales are all over the place.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Allow me to disagree then. As the circle of buyers grows, the later to join tend to spend much, much less on accessories, services and games. Sony must have crushed the numbers anyway, and came to the realization that keeping the price at the level it was at, was the sensible move to make. Especially that it is getting increasingly difficult to cut the different components costs...
They said at the start of ps4 that using more generic parts would make it cheaper as time goes on and they only end up $100 under what they started at and $50 above what PS3 ended at? Something doesn't add up there

Also look no further than PS2 to see how lower prices can penetrate and if they're jumping that late on the PS4 then they're probably gonna take awhile to get on ps5 so they'll have years to make get that other stuff.

YukiOnna

More than a year, no?
Part 2 came out June 19th, 2020. GoW's first month sales total was updated from 3M to 5M 8 months after and selling over 10M 11 months after in May of the following year as an example. For Uncharted 4's, we heard by February 2017 it had sold 8.7M by December going by the sources.

TLOU2 has a lot of data on its NPD rankings and PS Store rankings, but not numbers so I'm curious just how much its at by now whenever/if they update it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If NPD's Mat Piscatella called it a massive sales success and Neil Druckmann said it was profitable day one, then I would believe that it performed very well for Naughty Dog.

More than a year, no? Besides, people have short memory because games like God of War and Spider-Man get a huge communication over Sony sales part (official or not), even for insiders like Matt and Benji Sales.

I remember being in resetera by the time GoW sales are all over the place.
"Massive sales success"

jb7MC6P.png

Fake

Part 2 came out June 19th, 2020. GoW's first month sales total was updated from 3M to 5M 8 months after and selling over 10M 11 months after in May of the following year as an example. For Uncharted 4's, we heard by February 2017 it had sold 8.7M by December going by the sources.

TLOU2 has a lot of data on its NPD rankings and PS Store rankings, but not numbers so I'm curious just how much its at by now whenever/if they update it.

The kinda of information I was looking for and Sony stop giving are context. We have sites like Playstation Store and Amazon to tell just a little story.
Digital, Physical, pre-order, if sales surpass the cost production (probably the most expensive game Sony created). They never gave this. IDK why people think they are waiting to the TV show just to reveal the numbers. Multiplayer was supposed to release a far time ago and lets not forget the rumor about the remake of the first one with if I would guess they gonna inject with the part 2 sales or bundle with PS4/PS5 box for inflate sales. As much UC4 have a good numbers, the bundle (PS4 + UC4) quite did a good help for the legs.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That might be on a game by game basis. Sony doesn't just automatically do that with all games after 1 year or something lol

Even God Of War moving 20 million units was something they told us during the PC reveal, for all you know they reason why you are not getting a update on The Last Of Us 2 sales is based on several factors, they want to do it with the MP release, it got pushed back, they want to announce it on the directors cut PS5 release...that might get pared with MP, that might get told when the announce The Last Of Us 1 remake, that might get announced when they announce The Last Of Us 2 PC.... sir, they might hold off on that until many updates or reveals or even the damn show lol

Its beyond 10 million units btw as I feel it was beyond that probably by the second or third month.

The first 3 days of physical sales is 4 million units.
First month on PSN is 3 million.

That is 7 million and it released before a full calendar month when they even made that statement regarding PSN, as in it moved 7 million units in less then 1 month

So Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 is correct, it not only outsold Ghost, it sold the most that year for Sony then any other title they put out, it broke several records and its literally number 3 highest grossing PS4 game for Sony... which is fucking massive if you consider they told us that literally MONTHS after its release, as in its can't be below Ghost, its above it by a lot to be number 3.

1. Spiderman.
2.God Of War
3. Last Of Us 2

Here is the kicker bud, 2 of those games had YEARS to get sale to get to that, TLOU2 did that in MONTHS, which means they are well past 10 million. If Sony didn't tell us God Of War moved 15 million and only told us at 20 for the PC release, it means that they also are more then likely just holding off on major updates to match PC reveals, Directors cut, Remake, MP reveal etc.

When Sony told us The Last Of Us 1 sold 20 million, it was Oct 2019

Want to know what happened the month before?

This...

Same reason why they stayed slient for years before God Of War hit 20 million. They likely want to save that for a reveal.

Thats it.

The game simply shattered too many records to really be on this concern thing. They don't just keep telling us numbers every year for each game btw, they've never done that for software.

YukiOnna YukiOnna "a bit weird on the silence." No its not bud, Sony has NEVER told us yearly dates per game or something. That was never a standard thing to be out here pretending some serious thing is going on.

They also didn't tell us God Of War was at 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 million etc. Just stop. They were kept their "silence" until the PC reveal and told us, not 20 million, but 19 million and some change, as in it say that shit might have already sold 20 million by the time of us speaking, as in the PC reveal was what they were aiming for to tell us that number, as why not wait for 20 million, why tell us at like 19.5 mill? It tells me they are waiting to match it with a reveal, update etc.

You'll probably see them do that for many titles as they've already done that before, where a trailer is shown of a new game and they give you numbers on the past title or a remaster etc. So who knows. They could be waiting for the PC release, Directors cut reveal, MP reveal, Show first trailer, The Last Of Us 1 remake lol Who knows. We clearly know they can wait to do that as they did with God Of War, I don't know why you didn't just apply that same logic btw.

When they didn't give sales updates for Returnal and Demon's Souls, people were calling it a flop and claimed that Sony refused to reveal the numbers because they were unhappy with the sales.

And then they revealed the numbers and people were still in denial.

The same thing will happen to The Last of Us Part II. Some are going to say, "I guess it performed well" while others will still say it's a flop. If Uncharted 4 sold 16 million copies and The Last of Us sold 20 million, and The Last of Us Part II made more money than both titles in the US in July 2020, then there's no way anyone can call it an unsuccessful game.

DeepSpace5D

Since this is a sales thread, the lack of information about one of Sony's largest games in recent years should be seen as negative, to try and say otherwise is letting your emotions over the game overwrite the obvious; The game has not met sales expectations.
I would argue that to assume sales are below expectations because Sony has not chosen to give an update at this specific time or the timeframe that you personally want is letting your emotions over the game look for something that’s not there.

Sony typically chooses when to give sales updates strategically. I’d imagine around the time of the HBO show, or something relevant to that series, updated numbers will be given and it’s going to be a significant jump from the 4 million in its first 3 days.

Last edited:

Fake

No news is bad news, apparently.

Neither good news I suppose...

How did this turn into a ”TLOU2 didn’t sell well”-thread? Are people seriously thinking it sold bad?

Not everyone listen to a small twitter-mob that cries because their favourite daddy-issue got killed by the girl with big arms. Thankfully.

Is a sales thread, no? What do you want to talk? And I never heard twitter mob. I usually listen Benji-Sales info.

I can stop talking about TLOUS2 sales if you guys feel uncomfortable in conversation. No problem.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Imagine to be in a thread with TLOUII didn’t sell well due 3 day sales (that where absolutely massive).

But the reality is that the game is an absolutely sales success to Sony 🤷‍♂️
The thing is none of those games on that list have been updated with their current total sales, except for maybe God of War. This financial report was not about total game sale numbers. The only thing that page tried to show was how impressively fast in terms of days those games reached some noteworthy figures.

Last edited:

EDMIX

That sounds weird, that can't be true, even if he said that there is no way they covered those costs with 2-3 million sold.

?...well it sold more then 2 or 3 million.

It sold 4 million physical in 3 days, it sold 2.8 million digital on PSN opening month, not even the full month mind you so it like sold more in its first 4 weeks then what was reported by Sony.

Sooooo less then a month its at like 7 million.

I'm more then sure they covered that games development as 10 million is not the norm to even be fucking saying shit like "no way they covered" this or that when this game isn't even multiplatorm. Almost no AAA game can cover its sales using this odd ass logic as how much units do you really think was needed to cover a AAA game on 1 system?

So I don't know what to tell you, when even the person who made the fucking game is telling you its profitable and the publisher is happy about record sales, record awards etc yet "sounds weird, that can't be true", if not the person who made the game telling you this, then who? Who else would need to even tell you this information as you didn't even know it moved 4 million in 3 days... yet we doubt the very person that made the game though? We need a objective factual base here lol

Topher

Gold Member
Neither good news I suppose...

After 2 months, TLOU 2 became the third highest grossing game in PlayStation history in the US behind God of War and Spider-Man which were had already been out more than a year. Come on, man. You are going to have to lean on some wild assumptions to suggest that following that news it was all bad for TLOU 2 afterwards.

We wouldn’t know - Sony has not given us updated sales figures.

We don't need updated numbers to know that TLOU 2 was a success. It was the best selling PS4 exclusive of 2020 which means it outsold Ghosts of Tsushima which reported over 5 million sold as of November. TLOU 2 was the sixth best selling game overall in the US in 2020.

How could anyone spin that as not a successful game?

kingfey

Banned
2 - 3 million should have easily covered the costs.

Especially with it's high digital attach rate
3M wont cover it. They need 5m to cover the entire cost. Then another 2-3m for profit.

The game will still incur cost, due to dlc, patches, and any sales issues.

You also need to account the % cost of the retails. There is also the cost of shipping and moving the physicals games. Unless they add all those on making the game cost.

At least six years in the making, with a crew of thousands and a budget likely in the neighborhood of $100 million, Sony's The Last of Us Part II could easily be confused with a big-screen action epic.Aug 28, 2020

That is just making the game. you need to account the marketing, and other budgets.

kingfey

Banned
So do you want sales numbers or Sony's internal expectations? Because getting an update on the former doesn't tell you the ladder

We know it made a shit ton of money on digital sales alone in its first month.
You need profit. Not just making money.

In your words, days gone was successful too, since it made money.

This is their bread and butter. It needs to make profit.

ethomaz

Banned
We wouldn’t know - Sony has not given us updated sales figures.
Except it was constantly in the TOP seller in US… being at very good position in last 12 months charts (the best exclusive).
Plus it constantly in the UK, Germany, Spain, etc TOP sellers in the first year.
More it was always in a good position in the Digital PS4 top sellers across the 3 regions (US, EU and Japan).

I mean I have no ideia where you guys get TLOU2 stopped to sell just because Sony didn’t release more figures after launch lol

3M wont cover it. They need 5m to cover the entire cost. Then another 2-3m for profit.

The game will still incur cost, due to dlc, patches, and any sales issues.

You also need to account the % cost of the retails. There is also the cost of shipping and moving the physicals games. Unless they add all those on making the game cost.

At least six years in the making, with a crew of thousands and a budget likely in the neighborhood of $100 million, Sony's The Last of Us Part II could easily be confused with a big-screen action epic.Aug 28, 2020

That is just making the game. you need to account the marketing, and other budgets.

Lmao no. There's not a chance in hell it would need to sell 7 - 8 million just to start generating profit. That's just utter nonsense.

Just looking at the digital sales alone which were 2.8 million in 2 weeks netted them $160 million, and that's not even accounting for additional revenue generated w/ deluxe

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Can I have a source for that?
US

UK

The rest of the top 10 2020, as reported by the Entertainment Retailers Association is as follows:

1. FIFA 21 – 2,182,694 units
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – 1,420,353
  3. Grand Theft Auto V – 1,127,222
  4. FIFA 20 – 903,810
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – 897,350
  6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 810,462
  7. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – 665,815
  8. The Last of Us: Part II – 539,247
  9. NBA 2K20 – 481,507
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – 436,957
Finland, Czech, Slovakia and Sweden

“The only other 2020 release mentioned is The Last Of Us: Part 2, which placed in the top three in Finland, Czech, Slovakia and Sweden.”

Germany.

“The Last of Us: Part II passed 500.000 units sold in December after reaching the 200k milestone in June, its launch month.”

———-

It was basically the only exclusive except Aminal Crossing being the TOP seller across the world in 2020.

Imagine a game that sold over 1.1 million in just 2 countries (UK + Germany) in 2020 being called by haters that it sold bad because “only” 4 million in 3 days lol

Last edited:

Fake

After 2 months, TLOU 2 became the third highest grossing game in PlayStation history in the US behind God of War and Spider-Man which were had already been out more than a year. Come on, man. You are going to have to lean on some wild assumptions to suggest that following that news it was all bad for TLOU 2 afterwards.

Much of the discussion around this game is so damn evasive, so let's cut off the conversation. The game was a sucess. No more updates, they're remaking the first one, but we can rest assure.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I would argue that to assume sales are below expectations because Sony has not chosen to give an update at this specific time or the timeframe that you personally want is letting your emotions over the game look for something that’s not there.

Sony typically chooses when to give sales updates strategically. I’d imagine around the time of the HBO show, or something relevant to that series, updated numbers will be given and it’s going to be a significant jump from the 4 million in its first 3 days.
Touch a nerve did I? I haven't partaken in all this TLOU2 drama, but I would have this view for any other high profile game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom