• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2: 13.3M+ PS5s; Sales shatter industry records for sixth straight quarter

Bodomism

Banned
Why? Was there bad representations in how the numbers were reported? I mean isn;t their numbers public? You can download the Fiscal financials can't you? Especially if your an investor.
Sony PS3 was dead last during those years on NPD. This is the same company that combined Vita numbers with PSP in order to hide Vita underwhelming sales number.

Elios83

I see this guy's relationship with Sony didn't get much better during the last year.

They just had a record-breaking quarter in terms of videogame revenue...and not even a mention of any of that in that article?
He probably thinks his articles can get more views in this way :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
He just can't have an objective take on Sony.

reksveks

All 3 gaming revenues with a fixed JPY:USD conversion rate

1qUxxEG.png

All 3 platform holders limited to nintendo's data set

lKdbsX1.png

Xbox and Sony Rev split

q6N3YZf.png

I have some work to do for filling out nintendo details.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Papacheeks

Banned
Nope. Office is in "Productivity and Business Processes". Xbox is in "More Personal Computing".

But isn't things like surface, Windows all accounted along with XBox?

Revenue in More Personal Computing was $14.1 billion and increased 9% (up 6% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
  • Windows OEM revenue decreased 3%
  • · Windows Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 20% (up 14% in constant currency)
  • · Xbox content and services revenue decreased 4% (down 7% in constant currency)
  • · Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs increased 53% (up 49% in constant currency)
  • · Surface revenue decreased 20% (down 23% in constant currency)

Here's more recent:

Revenue in Intelligent Cloud was $17.0 billion and increased 31% (up 29% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:

· Server products and cloud services revenue increased 35% (up 33% in constant currency) driven by Azure and other cloud services revenue growth of 50% (up 48% in constant currency)

Revenue in More Personal Computing was $13.3 billion and increased 12% (up 11% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
  • · Windows OEM revenue increased 10%
  • · Windows Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 12% (up 10% in constant currency)
  • · Xbox content and services revenue increased 2% (relatively unchanged in constant currency)
  • · Search and news advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs increased 40% (up 39% in constant currency)
  • · Surface revenue decreased 17% (down 19% in constant currency)

The bolded in red they combine Azure with growth sector for gaming since those servers are used for enterprise and gaming.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Yes, but not Office, as you claimed. Just a small correction.

Yea thank.

I do find it weird that Azure is blurred for enterprise and gaming because they are dual purposed. As in Sony is buying azure which would be considered enterprise growth, but they are used for xbox gaming as well?

So In a sense you bolster two sectors of your company. WHich is smart. But in actuality the money your making comes from renting out the servers now that you have more games and gamers playing off of those through xbox? See why this looks funny?

Papacheeks

Banned
Doubtful. Game streaming runs over Gamepass, and Gamepass is counted in the Xbox sector.

Azure is enterprise as any company can purchase them for their own use or they Pay microsoft a fee to rent them aka Amazon S3 servers. WHich I pay for. But those same servers are used for gaming sector, so thats my point. They are used in two different sectors.

reksveks

Yea thank.

I do find it weird that Azure is blurred for enterprise and gaming because they are dual purposed. As in Sony is buying azure which would be considered enterprise growth, but they are used for xbox gaming as well?

So In a sense you bolster two sectors of your company. WHich is smart. But in actuality the money your making comes from renting out the servers now that you have more games and gamers playing off of those through xbox? See why this looks funny?
It's two separate things to me but I am not 100% sure I understand your point.

The physical infrastructure might be the same for enterprise usage and gaming usage but its revenue still goes to one segment, intelligent cloud
Microsoft has some insight to how much of the revenue came from enterprises using it for Gaming like Bungie and Sony for sure but at the end of the day, I am not sure it matters beyond what Microsoft decides to invest into regarding making new Azure services.
. The xbox revenue is purely the commercial end-user (gamer) facing revenue streams afaik.

Last edited:
Azure is enterprise as any company can purchase them for their own use or they Pay microsoft a fee to rent them aka Amazon S3 servers. WHich I pay for. But those same servers are used for gaming sector, so thats my point. They are used in two different sectors.
I still don't see how Azure is supposedly convoluted with Xbox. When Microsoft takes money off Sony for running PSNow, it obviously counts as Azure revenue. But when I pay for Gamepass so I can stream a game, that counts as Xbox revenue, not Azure.

Papacheeks

Banned
I still don't see how Azure is supposedly convoluted with Xbox. When Microsoft takes money off Sony for running PSNow, it obviously counts as Azure revenue. But when I pay for Gamepass so I can stream a game, that counts as Xbox revenue, not Azure.

Azure is used for gaming, so when you show in your financials growth is it not accounted into the gaming sector?

FrankWza

So when is the next Sony acquisition?
Uh…Sony is acquiring the minds and wallets of millions of gamers as we speak. Do you not see all the pc threads. They just needed an open system to activate mods so they can beat games like Returnal

Azure is used for gaming, so when you show in your financials growth is it not accounted into the gaming sector?
Financials are about revenue. The question is, how do you book the revenue? Since Xbox game streaming is tied to paying for Gamepass, you book it as Gamepass revenue, aka Xbox. With PSNow, you book it as Azure revenue because that's the only way to book the money.

Papacheeks

Banned
Financials are about revenue. The question is, how do you book the revenue? Since Xbox game streaming is tied to paying for Gamepass, you book it as Gamepass revenue, aka Xbox. With PSNow, you book it as Azure revenue because that's the only way to book the money.

Gotcha.

I mean its not about just revenue. It's an equation that usually was simple to track, sales(revenue)- operating costs= profit. But now because of cloud, streaming services we have whats called "Growth" Sectors.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

I mean its not about just revenue. It's an equation that usually was simple to track, sales(revenue)- operating costs= profit. But now because of cloud, streaming services we have whats called "Growth" Sectors.
Tbf, Microsoft isn't just "hiding" Xbox profit. They're "hiding" profits from every single sub-division. Afaik they only show total combined profit and that's it.

Bodomism

Banned
Thats standard though? Didn't Nintendo combine DS and 3DS when 3DS launched and wasn't taking off?
Not even once by Nintendo.
WiiU hardware that was selling worse than Vita was presented very clear from the first quarter till the last quarter of its sales.

Vita final number is still a mystery today.

Microsoft needed many Series X for their xCloud servers, so there are less for customers:
How many are used for the xcloud server? I assume not a million but maybe a hundred thousand? Not a big enough number to effect sales, unless I'm way off.

Evilms

Banned
  • PS4 installed base at the time of the PS5 release : 114.9 million
  • PS4 installed base today : 116.6 million

• PS3 installed base at the time of the PS4 release : 80 million
  • PS3 installed base today : 87.4 million

• PS2 installed base at the time of the PS3 release : 116.02 million
  • PS2 installed base today : 155.1 million

I think you know what i mean. GPUs for PS5 and XSS are easier/faster to obtain, lesser error rate in production (I don't know the english word for it, maybe production rejects).
Yield, but that is totally different than the availability of materials, wafers MSFT bought/secured are shared between XSS, XSX and cloud. Only one to blame on lack of XSX is MSFT.

The 120m dream is dying for PS4, shame because it could have been the third console ever to pass that milestone. With just 200k this quarter it will likely only ship 1.5m for the fiscal year. This is an anomaly because historically Playstation consoles have a very long tail.

ZfbnnBF.png

Last edited:
Yield, but that is totally different than the availability of materials, wafers MSFT bought/secured are shared between XSS, XSX and cloud. Only one to blame on lack of XSX is MSFT.
Perhaps my wording was bad, but by material i meant (good) GPUs as material for the consoles and not some metal or other raw materials for the GPU.

reksveks

PS5 Sales so far compared to other hugely sucessful consoles.

WeivGlA.png

The PS5 has fallen behind NSW launched aligned but will overtake it again with it'sholiday quarter next up.

xGIh1sp.png
You mind sharing that data set with me? I would like to just collate all of these numbers into one excel sheet if possible.

Elios83

What do we reckon? 15 million PS5s sold by the end of the year?

Wayyy more than that.
Ps5 shipments are just slightly behind PS4 shipments and Sony is targeting the same numbers.
Ps4 shipped 6.4m between October and December 2014.
Assuming that Sony continues to fall slightly behind PS4 at 6m it would be 13.4+6= 19.4m by the end of this year.

ethomaz

Banned
LTD - September 2021

PS5 13.3M+

XBS ~ 8.3M (John Welfare)

End of 2021 (Ampere's Forecast)

PS5 17.9M (Ampere Analysis, September 2020)

XBS 13.5M (Ampere Analysis, September 2020)
I think it is better to not put these baseless estimates on OP.

MS has only 40k wafer from TSMC in 2021 (I don't know if TSMC CY or FY) but in any case it is around 8-9m consoles produced for the year depending of the S/X ratio... even taking the amount they shipped in 2020 and realizing that the biggest production period is Oct-Dec there is no way Xbox is around 8.3m shipped at end of last quarter.

More. They said a while back they allocated 4.5 Million for holiday season. Since this was end of close of September I would have to believe from October to end of December they sell all those consoles putting them in 18-19 Million which is under what they projected which was 22m.
This highlights the huge manufacturing problems Sony are having because PS4 shipped 6.4m in it's second holiday and demand for PS5 is probably higher.

You mind sharing that data set with me? I would like to just collate all of these numbers into one excel sheet if possible.
Go for it, unfortunately there are no quarterly shipment sales for PS1 or PS2, back then Sony only revealed yearly numbers. And PS3 numbers are missing because Sony stopped giving PS3 sales after a while.

Papacheeks

Banned
This highlights the huge manufacturing problems Sony are having because PS4 shipped 6.4m in it's second holiday and demand for PS5 is probably higher.

Some of that, but it has to do with Chip shortages more than anything. They all come from one place. Sony has done what they can to make it so they produce more. But will still hit a wall because of the fab process and that so many things are on that same process. Not much else they can do honestly.

ethomaz

Banned
- I don't know if they are selling the consoles at profit yet, cause that operating income dropped.
Sony said they are selling the PS5 at profit already... PS5 DE not.

"Sony Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said that the company’s key product, the $499 PlayStation 5, was no longer selling at a loss. The $399 PS5 Digital Edition is on track to have its loss offset by other hardware sales including peripherals and the PlayStation 4, the CFO added."

Sony Boosts Profit Outlook on Better Movies, Music Prospects

Last edited:
Top Bottom