• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2: 13.3M+ PS5s; Sales shatter industry records for sixth straight quarter

skit_data

Most advertising is unethical. Its funny how our society draws the line with school. But happily lets them consume the most tailored advertising in the history of mankind through smartphones.
Yeah, I agree, smartphones make school advertising look like child’s play.

I’d say advertising in schools is unethical, the milk industry did it in Sweden as well when I was a kid (they probably still do to some extent) and as an adult I question it.

Video game advertisment in school is definitely something I would have issues with.
This home work brought to you by Nintendo!

Finish this home work and get MSFT rewards!

Enjoy this gym hall sponsored by PlayStation!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I mean, if you were Sony and your huge first party IP was lagging even slightly behind the first game in the franchise you can't blame them for not sharing the numbers.

They have a huge hbo TV series premiering soon, you wouldn't want to show a decline from the first to the second game.

That's why I think they aren't sharing the lou2 numbers.

RaZoR No1

So sad to see no Vita sales numbers etc.. Sony is like, "What is a Vita?"

I really wonder how the salesnumbers would be, if we didnt have any chip shortages..
The PS5 is still mostly sold out..

ZehDon

Sony doing great, as expected. It’s still crazy to me that the PS5 (and XSX) is going to remain basically sold out for the foreseeable future an entire year after launch. Like, damn. It’s clear Sony understood the supply requirements better than Microsoft and are clearly able to manufacture more consoles. Curious to see if that continues through till mid year; at some point, they have to catch up with demand, right? Right?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I mean, if you were Sony and your huge first party IP was lagging even slightly behind the first game in the franchise you can't blame them for not sharing the numbers.

They have a huge hbo TV series premiering soon, you wouldn't want to show a decline from the first to the second game.

That's why I think they aren't sharing the lou2 numbers.

Didnt TLOU2 sell gangbusters?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sony doing great, as expected. It’s still crazy to me that the PS5 (and XSX) is going to remain basically sold out for the foreseeable future an entire year after launch. Like, damn. It’s clear Sony understood the supply requirements better than Microsoft and are clearly able to manufacture more consoles. Curious to see if that continues through till mid year; at some point, they have to catch up with demand, right? Right?

Maybe BC, and the QoL benefits are drawing people to upgrade sooner

Soosa

Banned
Yeah it is nuts how long PS5 have been sold out now, on launch I assumed that it is sold out like PS4 -> maybe few months. But would not have guessed that it takes over a year probably or even more. PS5 is basically the first console I have seen being sold out for more than 1-2 months in my country, other systems that I have noticed to be sold out at all were wii u(lol) and ps4, ps3 and ps2.

Series X is not actually sold out on same level. Because it have been available on some countries as of the shelf item, I have seen them few times on stores already. And they are also available as "available on order"-item, aka you can walk to a store and ask them to order one and it takes around 1-2 weeks to get one, at least here. But still basically sold out as in "can't just walk into a store and pick it up". Series S have been available since the launch on many areas, so that is a different tale.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
nI41AWD.jpeg

Would have liked updated LOU2 figures can't understand why the figures are not upto date.

cragarmi

Code:
+---------+-------+-------+
| Quarter |  PS4  |  PS5  |
|  FY1Q1  |       |       |
|  FY1Q2  |       |       |
|  FY1Q3  |  4.50 |  4.50 |
|  FY1Q4  |  3.10 |  3.30 |
|   FY1   |  7.60 |  7.80 |
|  FY2Q1  |  2.80 |  2.30 |
|  FY2Q2  |  3.40 |  3.30 |
|   LTD   | 13.80 | 13.40 |

PS5 still behind
PS4 was at 13.5 at same time-frame : https://venturebeat.com/2014/11/14/sony-has-shipped-13-5m-ps4s-over-the-last-12-months/

It’s clear Sony understood the supply requirements better than Microsoft and are clearly able to manufacture more consoles. Curious to see if that continues through till mid year; at some point, they have to catch up with demand, right? Right?
Microsoft needed many Series X for their xCloud servers, so there are less for customers:

Helghan

Microsoft needed many Series X for their xCloud servers, so there are less for customers:
It's not like Microsoft has 5 million XSX servers running

Papacheeks

Banned

You know Microsoft started late on production? Which is why they are scrambling. Sony literally made internal changes so they could make more. They over engineered which in short actually helped them make refinements quicker in their production lines.

You know Microsoft started late on production? Which is why they are scrambling. Sony literally made internal changes so they could make more. They over engineered which in short actually helped them make refinements quicker in their production lines.

I know that, but i'm pretty sure the latest extreme scarcity was because of xCloud. I also think that the stronger GPU makes it harder to get materials than for S or PS5.

MrA

Banned
ANd not in a pandemic, not having chip shortages, and being $100 less. Crazy how against all those odds PS5 is almost on par in what PS4 sold.
Pandemic increased demand though, that's something hugely in Sony's favor. If there wasn't the pandemic I think numbers would probably be similar but with units actually on shelves,
The bigger difference I think would be the ps4, Sony seems to have totally dropped it to free up manufacturing space for ps5s, I doubt the ps4 will hit 120 million at this rate ... though that mere 200k shipped certainly explains why I've only seen lime 1 ps4 on a shelf in months

One other thing Sony sold luke 30 million physical pieces of software this quarter, physical isn't disappearing anytime soon

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I know that, but i'm pretty sure the latest extreme scarcity was because of xCloud. I also think that the stronger GPU makes it harder to get materials than for S or PS5.

You are right on the chip size being a big factor in how many you can produce per wafer.

But the server stuff is always allocated way before hand. And also that stuff is usually done first as those go into server blades that are in datacenters that can give direct analytics to the support staff and engineers for any issues hardware wise. Server stuff is always allocated before things like retail. Thats how it always works in broadcast.

Home base will have allocation for servers for backend, and testing.

It's still crazy to me how this console has sold over 13M units and i've never seen a single unit anywhere except my own.

And next year we're getting stuff like Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo 7, FFXVI, Forspoken, probably Factions or TLOU Remake to coincide with the TV show, etc.

This demand won't slow down any time soon. Pandemic or not.

You are right on the chip size being a big factor in how many you can produce per wafer.

But the server stuff is always allocated way before hand. And also that stuff is usually done first as those go into server blades that are in datacenters that can give direct analytics to the support staff and engineers for any issues hardware wise. Server stuff is always allocated before things like retail. Thats how it always works in broadcast.

Home base will have allocation for servers for backend, and testing.
Not sure how it works exactly, but since April/May i haven't seen a single X and before there were frequent drops every few weeks. To me it's obvious that the kept most of the productions since then for themselves. But anyways Sony did a better job.

kyussman

They are doing so well,and yet still not a sniff of being able to get one for me here in the UK.....I'm not even going to bother with a launch model now,just gonna wait it out for the mid-gen upgrade console(I presume there will be one again).

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
So does that mean MTX are accounting for all of the growth?
Mtx has been the heart of Sony's revenue for sometime, but keep In mind Sony didn't have any huge releases this quarter where as last year ghosts of tsushima released in july and the last of us 2 has only released 2 weeks before hand so software growth wasn't going to be easy

Melchiah

Totoki-san also talked about the recent acquisition of Firesprite and Bluepoint. Sony plans to leverage these studios to increase the development capabilities of the PlayStation Studios on top of use their expertise to deliver games on PC and mobile.

Since the beginning of the fiscal year, the number of PlayStation Studios has increased by 4 to 16. The number of developers has increased by almost 20%.

Totoki-san also confirmed that Sony plans to “continue to invest aggressively in its development capability going forward.”

Papacheeks

Banned
Great thread OP.

Wish MS was as transparent with their financials. This is the difference from a company that has something to hide VS. the market leader.

I can't prove it, but I've been talking to some of my local friends that are brokers and do a lot of small business trading. ANd I'm an idiot when it comes to stock stuff, but the changes Microsoft made back in 360 days looked like business as usual as they changed a lot internally in how they measure, track financials. But it feels like these changes were to change how Gaming division looked as it was a eye sore for over a decade on NPD, and stock exchanges. They changed into service based for software like Windows/Office. They integrated azure into all enterprise regardless if some sectors for servers were for gaming.
PC gaming, XBox, enterprise software are now all kind of together now? SO even on its own if software isnt doing well its accounted into the same sector as enterprise subs/sales. Same goes into their own PC/Surface hardware. I mean I get when you make major changes within the company trajectory, which totally happened.

Microsoft went like adobe into more of a service company with everything they make even servers is for other companies to rent servers for what ever use. And thats considered a service, but because its their own Azure now on a sheet they can show server/enterprise growth and service growth at the same time?
But how does this have to do with games? Gamepass is now accounted into same sector as Office, and any account thats created/accessed via cloud/local/mobile/PC/Console is counted.I feel if a investigation was made it would be shown that specific changes that pertain to the gaming sector were made to prop up losses/slow growth compared to individual sectors which was how they had things in 360 days.

I mean I get it, its not different than what a lot of companies do now. But if your gaming sector you put billions into only metrics are growth and not sales, how do you as a investor get detailed break downs of how things are doing at retail, or direct to consumer?
Why hide? I think it's because it would hurt stock highs. WHich is why they always talk in %. Instead of we sold X/it cost X to produce operate compared to last year. All they show is revenue. What are the costs? Like are they doing weird write offs because everything is all internal because it's categorized as rolled all into one?

It's just weird that you can look at Sony which is not just a game company. Look at how TV's/Mobile/Movie/Music+gaming are doing individually number wise, but you cant nail down how XBox is doing because its all muddied.

Last edited:

reksveks

It is a situation where you can comfortably say there is no angle where Xbox is doing better than PS.
Given the size of the brands, Microsoft beating Sony on anything is an impossibility. The more interesting things are the trends that they are on.

Bodomism

Banned
I can't prove it, but I've been talking to some of my local friends that are brokers and do a lot of small business trading. ANd I'm an idiot when it comes to stock stuff, but the changes Microsoft made back in 360 days looked like business as usual as they changed a lot internally in how they measure, track financials. But it feels like these changes were to change how Gaming division looked as it was a eye sore for over a decade on NPD, and stock exchanges. They changed into service based for software like Windows/Office. They integrated azure into all enterprise regardless if some sectors for servers were for gaming.
PC gaming, XBox, enterprise software are now all kind of together now? SO even on its own if software isnt doing well its accounted into the same sector as enterprise subs/sales. Same goes into their own PC/Surface hardware. I mean I get when you make major changes within the company trajectory, which totally happened.

Microsoft went like adobe into more of a service company with everything they make even servers is for other companies to rent servers for what ever use. And thats considered a service, but because its their own Azure now on a sheet they can show server/enterprise growth and service growth at the same time?
But how does this have to do with games? Gamepass is now accounted into same sector as Office, and any account thats created/accessed via cloud/local/mobile/PC/Console is counted.I feel if a investigation was made it would be shown that specific changes that pertain to the gaming sector were made to prop up losses/slow growth compared to individual sectors which was how they had things in 360 days.

I mean I get it, its not different than what a lot of companies do now. But if your gaming sector you put billions into only metrics are growth and not sales, how do you as a investor get detailed break downs of how things are doing at retail, or direct to consumer?
Why hide? I think it's because it would hurt stock highs. WHich is why they always talk in %. Instead of we sold X/it cost X to produce operate compared to last year. All they show is revenue. What are the costs? Like are they doing weird write offs because everything is all internal because it's categorized as rolled all into one?

It's just weird that you can look at Sony which is not just a game company. Look at how TV's/Mobile/Movie/Music+gaming are doing individually number wise, but you cant nail down how XBox is doing because its all muddied.
Do you want to know which company that told NPD and MediaCreate to stop publishing sales numbers?

mejin

Given the size of the brands, Microsoft beating Sony on anything is an impossibility. The more interesting things are the trends that they are on.
People use the lack of infos from MS to say "there is a chance" lol

but you are right

Last edited:
Top Bottom